Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

I would like to nominate Widestancer and Black Baby Goku. The MMO HMO community enjoys their presence, and they have a positive effect.

a MMO HMO under these two would actually be really good, I'm glad you feel the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys have done well with the light moderation touch and stickies.

I think what would be fun is for there to be a game night once every month where everyone goonrushes a F2P game (could be like TF2, might be some awful F2P mmo, whatever). Lumbering Troll's server has a stupid huge population cap. I haven't really thought that out, but that would be cool if some goon would try to organize that

Robo Reagan posted:

Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

oh...I didn't even see this post, I'm dumb

eonwe fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 8, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its too bad too, because a lot of goons jizz all over themselves to make fun of j4gs. A lot of goons act like they are better than pubbies, when really, goons are pubbies who paid $10 to post on a message board. I kind of wish the 'j4g' thing would go by the wayside. The only game where it has ever probably been a real concern is EVE, but literally every other game it doesn't even matter.

A lot of goons don't seem to even realize that the rules have been relaxed and they can 'JUST POST' a lot more than a couple years ago.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Shovel Knight is really goddamn good and you should all play it a lot.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 8, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

abraxas posted:

So it was a really good year for Nintendo is what you're saying?

PC:

Dark Souls 2
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
D3: Reaper of Souls
Shovel Knight
Stick of Truth
Battleblock Theatre
Shadow of Mordor
Banner Saga
Far Cry 4
Xenonauts

also I don't know if any of these were early access in 2013 and you could technically play them then and i dont care

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

By the way - I think a Loadout game of the month goon rush would be cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208090/

Its f2p, its pretty fun, a goon (and pretty decent guy) made it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Contest Winner posted:

This is a good and fun idea, but would a regular game of the month thread get any interest? Like it could be in December you need to play/replay Doom 2 and talk about how much you love/hate Doom 2 for example.

I would be all about this poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, now that we are pretty clear that this would be cool. What game/games do you guys think would be good for a game of the month? Obviously Doom 2 already got thrown out there, but any other ideas?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think some good games of the month would be KotoR, Vice City, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstine, and The Longest Journey would all be good game of the month candidates. They are cheap and run on a toaster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

There is a correlation here, see if you can find it.

every post I've seen you make in games or gbs is super unfunny, but I don't read the xbox thread, maybe you are a superstar there

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think School of Dragons would be a fun terrible f2p game outing. Its a 'MMO' based on the How to Train your Dragon franchise, lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

Honestly until Imp Zone came into the Archeage thread I didn't know that the rules had relaxed. I have a feeling a lot of people are in that same situation. I've been on Mumble with people and they see posts without punctuation even and they seem to think those people are at risk of being probated.

But yes, what Widestancer said as well. It'll just take goons telling the negative goons to stop being dicks probably before people loosen up on making threads.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I meant to post this bad post in the Scrapbook thread. Sorry!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its hard to wrangle goons so I think monthly is good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

If being more relaxed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Widestancer then let's go back to heavy-handed moderation

If being more heavy-handed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Adam Bowen then let's stay with the relaxed moderation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the way Town of Salem is pretty fun for a browser game. Highly recommended.

Oh! What about dungeon crawl stone soup? Browser based, tough, has a tutorial, doesn't require you to constantly look at a wiki.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stelas posted:

I kind of want to say it shouldn't be stuff that already has a thread.

Yeah I guess so but I just suggested it because it'd be funny to see all the terrible ways people would die

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stelas posted:

I mean, I wouldn't set it in stone as a rule or anything but I definitely think that Crawl's a bad choice because it already has a thread full of people that will happily do challenge runs already. Plus, any interesting moments or stories that come out of it might not be very accessible compared to gifs of dumb moments in Bad Action Game #237.

Alrighty whatevs, no big deal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I helped break the archeage guild I hope I get partial credit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some of you seem unreasonably mad about video games

Lol at whining about the content of the archeage thread

That thread is the loving content and everyone that whines about nobody posting anything also completely loving fails to post any actual content

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I would routinely ask people in archeage who they thought the "imp zone trolls" were and they would give me a list of names and no matter how ever long it was maybe 2 or 3 of which posted in imp zone. The rest did not.

All I can tell is that some people think there is an imp zone vs games thing but what they mean is closer to "posters I don't like."

Yep, this is true. I do post in imp zone now but before I had ever mad a single post there I was being accused of being an imp zone troll. Its a message board dudes I don't care that much and I doubt most people do. I like to post about games, read about games, and play games. Idgaf about weirdo imp zone conspiracy theories

Also what kewpuh said

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im not crazy about mega threads because it usually ends up monopolizing and stifling discussion about games. I don't think having them is bad, but they should be a 'main' thread with other relevant threads imo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

I gotta admit, I adore the Archeage, Wildstar, and Starbound threads, and I don't even play any of those games. They're such beautiful trainwrecks.

That being said, I feel pretty bad for anyone who would actually want to discuss something about those games.

Life is hard sometimes.

I want to agree, but if the people in those threads ever posted real poo poo instead of egging on the people they accused of trolling it would be a lot better contentwise.

Its just they don't want to post anything real. They'd rather have a dead thread or complain about someone else's posts rather than contribute. That's my feelings anyway.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Mods, please rename me to Posting Standards. Thanks.

This is a good name change

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is, I get the complaints. I was super thin skinned. I just wanted to talk about Archeage, and I was getting annoyed at first too. But then I realised I was being way too sensitive. Its a message board, and joking is allowed. Goons take posting way too seriously

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blister posted:

Following the current trends this means I'll be told I have aids for this post, right?

This is a really dumb overreaction and makes you seem weird.

Also the gif posting thing doesn't happen in a lot of threads, and is usually only when people start saying really loving dumb things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am really surprised you would give this advice, especially considering you are the one who melted down and started ranting about white knighting in the Wildstar thread.

The only thing these idiotic "le puppet master troll!!!!" posts accomplish is derailing threads and causing drama that no one enjoys. Its not about thick skins, its not even about staying on topic. Its about how people are getting into the obnoxious habit of being blatantly malicious and unfunny which causes otherwise ok threads to become cesspits.

Posters like you are what make imp excursions successful and even possible

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody respond to coffee anymore its a waste of bandwidth, lmao.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm sure you're just trolling here but the problem isn't that anyone has thin skin. it's that le epic reddit memes aren't actually funny at all m'lady. That's the reason most of us paid 10bux to join this community instead of going to one of the other dozens of websites out there filled with hilariously wacky posters like you.

This goon has the final say on what's funny, pack it up guys. We should totally care what known forums goodposter Adam Bowen thinks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

For some reason I feel like the only reddit memes I see on SA are the ones posted passive-aggressively by people that complain about reddit memes.

I think I've seen more 'ironic' meme posting in games by people whining about it this week than posting by the people who are being accused of it, lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BERGfu posted:

memes are really funny guys come on

Said in Jimmy's voice from south park

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BERGfu posted:

Hey Eonwe you know what would be really cool if people made CONTENT for the threads we're all in, here's an example

The horror hole from Viseral Clean up or whatever disatser that was made playing last night

Content would be great!

Also yes play stick of truth

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to find a gamecube adapter and film myself smashing it

Drinkfist would go super flaccid watching that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really need to add more of you guys in steam

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

How about a different thread than the one we're posting in, genius. Real brain master over here. I'm on mobile so Maybe @zen death robot can provide me a pro smiley to represent my exasperation with this rear end clown.

I'm on mobile too but I've always been partial to :thumbsup:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

The Wildstar thread I mentioned earlier is a good start. It became a poo poo hole of low content posts consisting of people posting 4chan memes, calling each other human being, getting blatantly and unfunnily abusive, "top lel i r puppet master" posts, etc etc. It goes from bad to worse right around here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657496&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=98

Its a dead game sorry for your loss

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

I'd still really like to see one of these meme dominated threads, if anyone has a link handy.

Duh he linked the wildstar thread, a very relevant thread for a good game with socially well adjust goons who post lots of interesting content filled posts and was ruined by trolling

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What I meant to say is gently caress the wildstar thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New thought: let's talk about more interesting things we can do or threads we can make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

I have no clue. I'd imagine that would be up to mods/community/whatever to decide. No memes/no racism/at least on basic sentence seems like a fairly reasonable standard though. The bar doesn't exactly need to be high.

Agreed with no racism but that doesn't need to be an official rule IMO

The other ideas are bad

• Locked thread