Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zombie Samurai posted:

Which threads generate the most reports? I mean, I can probably guess but if there's a funny one like if the dudes in the Eurotruck thread are actually venomous assholes, I'd love to hear about it.

Last feedback I saw on this was that it was the Dota 2 thread by far, to the point where it would be more fair to consider it its own category.

ullerrm posted:

I solemnly swear that if I get modded, I will do absolutely nothing. Other than repeatedly probating Bagu.

I'll take two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I feel like the pendulum has swung a bit too far the other way from moderation as well. I get that week long probations being used as punchlines weren't good for the overall health of the community, but there has been a lot of free reign given to humorless white noise posts that stifle both discussion and comedy. Beyond that, there's a difference between dropping an occasional bait post to lure out idiots and just spamming the gently caress out of a thread until they pay attention to you because nobody will tell you to stop.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Contest Winner posted:

I would suggest that if someone is posting too many memes you don't like, you could use the ignore function. Just don't post about ignoring someone because then you look like a huge dingus.

I gave that a shot but it doesn't really work when two people can be like half the posts in a thread for a page or two.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To make a serious post here, I think there's a bit of a culture clash because, while SA is a comedy website and the forums are ostensibly meant to reflect that sense of humor, the $10 paywall and moderation style means that this is also a really, really good forum for general video game discussion (at least for the standards by which such things are measured). Public gaming forums typically have the signal to noise ratio of a youtube comment thread and are moderated for courtesy rather than content. The :10bux: prevents most of that crowd from ever joining, and the fact that you can call someone out for being an idiot without getting yourself banned for being impolite helps filter out a lot of the rest of the chaff. While I definitely appreciate the sense of humor that some posters bring to this place, I joined this forum primarily because I'm a high-functioning autistic who likes to subject games to deep mechanical analysis and this forum is the best place I've seen where I can those kinds of conversations with like-minded people and not have to wade through an ocean of tears about how Pyros are overpowered and the like. While I'm now realizing that I may not be here for entirely the right reasons and my discussion-first mentality probably puts me in the minority, this forum definitely has a substantial population of users who appreciate the overall quality if discourse. Comedy is definitely still content, but it's not the primary reason I'm here (and to be honest, I haven't found the front page funny since I was in high school).

I realize I'm coming dangerously close to agreeing with Adem Bowen, and while I never could make it very far through the gamers.txt threads I saw enough to find this deeply disturbing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I saw that in the time it took me to type out that brief effortpost the conversation had moved on to a new page, backed up to see what I had missed, and immediately regretted it.

One sperg to another, CoffeeBooze; it's time to hit the showers.

that's a sports reference

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Eonwe posted:

Archeage had plenty of real discussions till the creepy got so bad that memes were an actual improvement. Bfm named his ship Icelandic teenager and people were defending it

I guess my problem is that, as someone who's primarily here to talk about video games, thread derails annoy me because they prevent conversations from taking place. BFM is a huge creeper and I'm glad he didn't manage to slip under the radar, but I'd like to see those problems addressed in a way that still leaves room for ordinary discussion. Macro spamming and such feels like vigilante gas chambering, and even if the situation has reached a point where something like that is warranted I would rather see the moderation team step in and resolve the situation directly (which does not necessarily mean "with probations") rather than simply unleashing the BBG.

EDIT: I swear I'm not doing this on purpose

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 10, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My biggest takeaway from this thread was that an honest explanation of what makes this forum interesting to me did far more than any sperg wars or appeals to the moderation team ever would in dealing with the fact that I play terrible games whose threads are disproportionately likely to be gazed upon by the Eye of Widesauron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Discussion > Games > Orc Zone - we are the posting Uruk-Hai!

• Locked thread