Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Which threads generate the most reports? I mean, I can probably guess but if there's a funny one like if the dudes in the Eurotruck thread are actually venomous assholes, I'd love to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Robo Reagan posted:

Can we do a game of the month thing where goons play some awful free multiplayer/indie game? I feel it would bring us ~closer as a community~ but mostly I'm bored and dicking around in awful games with people is fun

net cafe scandal posted:

It would be cool if everyone from Games went into one game, like for a big party or whatever, every now and then.

I'm imagining this like the movie/book of the month that Cinema Discusso and Book Barn do, but instead of Citizen Kane or Pride and Prejudice it's loving Ragnarok Online or something.

So yeah let's do this.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Contest Winner posted:

This is a good and fun idea, but would a regular game of the month thread get any interest? Like it could be in December you need to play/replay Doom 2 and talk about how much you love/hate Doom 2 for example.

Honestly I think the original idea was just goonrushing a F2P game and dicking around online until getting bored. However, a monthly game discussion/analysis/bullshitting thread would be rad. I have so many games I need an excuse to play/replay, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

This but also another thread where we play generally agreed upon bad games and try to enjoy them despite their flaws.

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be fun to do a thread where people discuss the positive sides of flawed/bad games to be honest, but I admit that's something I like doing in general.

In addition to a Game of the Month thing, I think an "Is it that bad?" thread would also be great. At least until comedy geniuses start making GBS threads it up with Bioshock Infinite and Shadows of Mordor posts.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I think some good games of the month would be KotoR, Vice City, Duke Nukem 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstine, and The Longest Journey would all be good game of the month candidates. They are cheap and run on a toaster.

All excellent ideas. My first thought when it came up was the original Deus Ex, for similar reasons.

And then we could do Invisible War in the Bad Thread! :getin:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Widestancer posted:

It's way more fun to actually play a bad game with other people than it is to just bitch about it. I think that idea has a lot of merit to it. There are several cheap terrible games out there and not only that terrible mods and servers for various games most of us probably already own as well.

With steam broadcast the potential for sharing funny poo poo with other goons just got way better too!

Steam's free-to-play section isn't just lovely Korean MMOs anymore, either. There's a great big mess of free indie masterpieces of highly questionable value.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

It could just be that no one really had the idea or initiative until we came together to ramble about the forum itself. There's no real "general chat" or crew threads to generate ideas like some of the other subforums have. I don't think that's a bad thing or that we necessarily need them, but I think that makes your State of Games threads more valuable.

I've noticed more random fun threads and threads for smaller games over the last few months, so I think people are coming around.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Unless someone else wants to I'll make a Bad Games Extravaganza thread when I get home. What do people think, should they be weekly games, monthly games, post whatever you've got, some combination?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Stux posted:

i think it could be good to maybe do both if that isnt over stretching it. that way the weekly ones could be the obviously and immediately terrible games no one would be able to stand, with a monthly game which is more of a slow burn/worth seeing through for all its horriblness. or perhaps do it based on the particular games.

Widestancer posted:

This is a good idea; some games will be a flash in the pan and others will probably be ones that people enjoy returning to. Like, when we did Evolve in Imp Zone it lasted a day or so but Town of Salem lasted way longer (we're still playing).

Agreed. Those games I linked earlier are pretty hard to get more than one sitting out of, so they'd probably make for good weekly discussions. For monthlies we could do stuff like bad MMOs, botched sandbox games, indie RPG Maker epics... the possibilities are endless! And it would be easy enough to switch a game from one to the other if it has longer or shorter appeal than we expected.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I made that bad game thread we were talking about. Stop by and help decide what to play and make fun of for the rest of December.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I gotta admit, I adore the Archeage, Wildstar, and Starbound threads, and I don't even play any of those games. They're such beautiful trainwrecks.

That being said, I feel pretty bad for anyone who would actually want to discuss something about those games.

Life is hard sometimes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

elf help book posted:

I joined for the file forums.

:):respek::)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

For some reason I feel like the only reddit memes I see on SA are the ones posted passive-aggressively by people that complain about reddit memes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

Where have I ever said any of this about the Wildstar thread? The thread was an entertaining train wreck abpout a bad game to say the least, but it became just boring and sad when people started making GBS threads it up with low content, low effort posts that were not funny.

Hell, just take a look at what this thread has devolved into for an example of why there needs to be some base line standard for posting.

You've got a really good point here, but I don't think it's the one you intended to make.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

elf help book posted:

I agree with CoffeeBooze that the community should decide the rules. We should have a meme voting tournament to decide which we like the best.

I'm cool with this if it means we can get mangaposting back in the Steam thread.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

CoffeeBooze might be the least self-aware poster in Games.

Seriously this is loving incredible.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Coffee and Voyager are like Goofus and Gallant up in here.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

In a lot of threads the standards are all still there because the threads are somewhat insular, but then you go to a larger thread (the steam thread is really the only non-niche one I frequent here) and one liner posts without capitalization or punctuation are the norm.

I have to be honest, I practically live in the Steam thread and I don't really see this at all. On rare occasions the thread gets derailed into dumb poo poo but for the most part it's really good discussion and reviews.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Widestancer posted:

The mobile site is getting better and I'm glad Lowtax is working on it.

I also want to say I'm impressed that no one has tried to kill anyone in either the chat or social issues thread yet. Thanks for remembering the reason for season guys.

Chat thread is great, I'm honestly surprised how well that turned out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Widestancer posted:

:ssh:
It's not routine it's been the Archeage thread, Wildstar thread and Eve thread and if you are emotionally attached to those threads then that's a symptom.

His post history is rather illuminating on this front.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

That doesn't really work.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah um let's just all move on I think

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Let me counter with this. If someone posts "kill yourself" do you break into fits of anger because an internet shat out two boring words to you or do you scroll past it and continue reading cool poo poo about video games like every other normal human being?

Okay now you should DEFINITELY read the last few pages.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

elf help book posted:

I like having some posts like that.

Also I can't help but notice that none of those examples derailed their threads. Two of them were flat-out ignored and the third actually sparked a more focused discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

It's a Christmas miracle!

• Locked thread