Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My dream since first playing TS4 was to recreate Melrose Place. A horseshoe shaped apartment building with a pool in the middle full of pretty petty people to induce soap opera level drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I actually built a house I'm happy with. That never happens. :unsmith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I mean, the AI art thread in GBS is full of cool poo poo. It's like photoshop and used everywhere now, even in professional artists' workflow. You gotta move with the times

lol

no

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Wishing it doesn't make it so. There's real time generation now that works with you on anything you draw as you draw, saving hours and hours and joint pain.

But ok

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s like playing pretend at artist. That’s cute.

Children are so cool.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Wishing it doesn't make it so. There's real time generation now that works with you on anything you draw as you draw, saving hours and hours and joint pain.

But ok

I dont think making art should be about saving time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You gotta save time so you can spend it working on spreadsheets

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
If the only value to your art is that you enjoy the process of making it and want it to take a shitload of time, go carve granite with a toothbrush or something. If you have literally anything to communicate with the outside world, being able to create the same art in less time lets you make more loving art.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The most important thing about art is not just how efficiently it is made, but also how much volume you can make, apparently. Funko pops are the world's most significant artistic form

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine if Leonardo had been able to mass-generate 10,000 variations on Mona Lisa... What a blessed world we would be living in

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What worth does art have other than existing.

Beep boop what is expression beep boop

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If a sim creates a painting, is it art created by an AI?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine if Leonardo had been able to mass-generate 10,000 variations on Mona Lisa... What a blessed world we would be living in

AI is definitely already changing the kinds of things that are valued, and almost removing the value in some types of pieces like your example that were tremendously time-intensive in the past but formerly had appropriate reward. But they’re simultaneously enabling other kinds pieces, just that need different processes to accomplish.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

personally I am not concerned about the artistic integrity of the putrid yellow leather texture I want to put on my korean sim's bedspread for some reason

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Bedurndurn posted:

If the only value to your art is that you enjoy the process of making it and want it to take a shitload of time, go carve granite with a toothbrush or something. If you have literally anything to communicate with the outside world, being able to create the same art in less time lets you make more loving art.

I dont think having google communicate things for you is worthwhile

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Super No Vacancy posted:

personally I am not concerned about the artistic integrity of the putrid yellow leather texture I want to put on my korean sim's bedspread for some reason

I am because it means a texture guy did not make it, which puts his job in jeopardy

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
yall givin me mad negative moodlets rn

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Apparently the world that comes with For Rent has 9 lots. Because you wouldn't expect a lot of work to go into a full price expansion.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

kilus aof posted:

Apparently the world that comes with For Rent has 9 lots. Because you wouldn't expect a lot of work to go into a full price expansion.

I strongly suspect that at least half of the reason there are fewer and fewer lots in neighborhoods is because they're still sticking with the "You must be able to run this game with all its expansions on an old potato" mandate they had at the very beginning of development.

The other half is the "fewer employees, less content, same price" mandate EA has had since even before that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavens. You can finally set what kind of sink is what so your Sim does not go all the way upstairs to wash dishes.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Getting close to 2000 hours!!!!!!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Neat, the new patch makes it so you can move/change windows on apartments. It also lets you repaint owned exterior walls and hang curtains on them so it'll probably get patched out soon, but neat until then.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I haven't touched the gameplay yet but the build mode for the new pack is gorgeous. Lots of really lovely little details. CAS is really good for women again, less so for men but a few nice pieces and new hair.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sims 4: Housing Crisis seems pretty typical in that unfortunate way of creating stuff looks nice but actual gameplay - if it's not just rabbit holes - is super bugged. The new world is small with just nothing to do, but boy howdy pretty. RIP to the people who thought they were actually going to see tigers in the tiger sanctuary.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the game sucks op

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

the game sucks op

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I decided to try and download some custom content to make some really grungy apartments now that For Rent is out and there's a handful of stuff in that pack in that style.

Good lord is the mod scene of this game a loving mess. Just seems to be an endless series of individual creator tumblrs and patreons with content just shoved in a list by date uploaded, half of which lead to broken download links, the other half of which just totally look out of place with the Maxis art style.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
this is all you need to know about the sims modding community:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So with Life By You out on early access in a couple of months I was curious why there hadn't been any real info posted on it outside of a couple blog posts on the official site.

Turns out the official YouTube channel has been posting walkthrough and gameplay videos for months. Everything from build mode to in-game gameplay systems to character creation. It looks...okay? The open world bit seems really good and the mod tools seem ridiculously comprehensive but the NotSims still have pretty soulless expressions and animations, and it's unclear if it'll have stuff like multitasking.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 14, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So with Life By You out on early access in a couple of months I was curious why there hadn't been any real info posted on it outside of a couple blog posts on the official site.

Turns out the official YouTube channel has been posting walkthrough and gameplay videos for months. Everything from build mode to in-game gameplay systems to character creation. It looks...okay? The open world bit seems really good and the mod tools seem ridiculously comprehensive but the NotSims still have pretty soulless expressions and animations, and it's unclear if it'll have stuff like multitasking.

Its probably gonna take an entire sequel 4 years from now to get to the point of non-sterility. I think my biggest concern is that they're not using a simlish alternative, so English conversations are gonna get repetitive real fast.

Still though, this is something im likely buying near launch because I would like to play the Sims again, and there really needs to be competition in the space.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Paralives gameplay trailer just dropped (with a vague 2025 release date). Seems like the exact opposite of LBY - very appealing visuals and stylish UI, some interesting mechanics, but seems very limited in terms of customizability and overall sort of small-scale. Biggest news is that there's going to be no paid DLC but many free updates (aka the early access model) https://youtu.be/xIIy4CuGDyU?si=zfpJ0oKvlOK1YBKg

EDIT: also Life By You got delayed again ROFL

mutantIke fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 7, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SRQj1_hQV4

Here's kind of a lets-play of sorts of Life By You by the community manager. I watched this off to the side while playing another game. The game always seems pretty serviceable at first glance, but 3:54 demonstrates how bad the conversations look. I figure optimizations are something that's saved for the very end, so I'm mostly overlooking that, but the animations and facial expressions are definitely weak. Maybe its an old build or something, but I figured if they had something better they wouln't have shown this. On one hand, I never put much attention into the facial animations in the sims, But I know a lot of sims players get really into their characters and their appearance so this would probably lose them immediately.

We're already in March, and it goes for sale on early access in June, when it launches for $40. If Paradox can handle the storm of negative reviews at launch and tough it out while providing timely updates and listening to feedback, it might be a pretty great alternative for The Sims by mid 2025. But...eh, Paradox being what it is today, I can see a Mostly Negative steam release be fatal and they wipe their hands of it with a very anemic 1.0 release.

I'd really like for this game to succeed, because I think there's a lot of room for an engaging Sims competitor, but I have my doubts about the future of the game if it launches raw, which I feel is all but certain. I feel like so far they've tempered expectations by way of these early access videos, but the colossal mishandling of Cities Skylines 2 makes me really down on this.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang, that does look like a shame. Does EA hold the patent for an abstract language like SimLish, or what? I'm just slightly baffled by the direction LBY went in highlighting the conversations in such a way that just so obviously seems like it'll be onerously repetitive. Not just repetitive, but stripping the mystery away from what the sims are saying makes them all seem a lot dumber and less likeable too.

Maxis just hit on a genius direction with the original -- stylization and abstraction, such that your mind can fill in the gaps where the simulation is otherwise a little odd. Short of literally recreating reality, I really think it's the only way a game in this genre is going to work. Who knows, maybe AI-Sims in a few years can actually pull that off. But I don't think we're there just yet.

I also really want this to succeed; maybe it just appeals to a different kind of Sims player from me. But yeah, I agree with you that it's not something to hold your breath over.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They've reinvented Oblivion conversations. Honestly kind of brilliant.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Koramei posted:

Dang, that does look like a shame. Does EA hold the patent for an abstract language like SimLish, or what?

How did the Playboy Mansion games do it? Thats the only other sims-like game I can think of, but I could have sworn they had little abstract bubbles over their heads.

Koramei posted:

Maxis just hit on a genius direction with the original -- stylization and abstraction, such that your mind can fill in the gaps where the simulation is otherwise a little odd.

I'm really yearning for some sort of TS1-asethetic game that lets your mind fill in 90% of the gaps, but I'd be surprised if the wider market had an appetite for it. TS2 felt like the sweet spot, TS3 was a real low point with the dough faces, TS4 felt like an improvement. Weird as it was, the overly dynamic facial expressions of the 3D Sims games kind of turned me off. I get neutral expressions are boring but it was kinda tiresome seeing my sim goofily cut carrots or power-walk out the door all the time in TS4.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

buglord posted:

I'm really yearning for some sort of TS1-asethetic game that lets your mind fill in 90% of the gaps, but I'd be surprised if the wider market had an appetite for it. TS2 felt like the sweet spot, TS3 was a real low point with the dough faces, TS4 felt like an improvement. Weird as it was, the overly dynamic facial expressions of the 3D Sims games kind of turned me off. I get neutral expressions are boring but it was kinda tiresome seeing my sim goofily cut carrots or power-walk out the door all the time in TS4.
TBF that's pretty much a Sims 4 exclusive issue where it feels like they wanted every animation to be "fun" and "memorable" by some corporate mandate, with the result that every sim is on crack at all times with unnatural slasher smiles whenever they aren't in a slightly sour mood and acting like the sky is falling. I have a mod to mostly eliminate the smiling and for a while I was unsure if it needed updating, but trying to play the game as the devs intended made me quickly decide it clearly still works.

It's that old rule of when everything is wacky and silly, nothing is. TS2 did that stylized cartoon-ish sim look and feel so much better it's ridiculous. Even TS3 sims are more pleasant to look at in motion because at least they behave like normal humans for the most part despite looking like Oblivion NPCs. Sims 4 also reuses the same animations for everything which just adds to the repetition.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

this looks like a sims version of those mobile gta clones

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Ruflux posted:

I have a mod to mostly eliminate the smiling

Can I ask for the name of that mod? Been looking for something like that.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah, the freaking "realistic marriage mod"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's apparently Shimrod's Less Smiling overlay on MTS but I know there's others like that. I also lied, turns out it was actually updated last year first for infants and later horses, but not officially but by some guy called maru in the comments thread for the mod. The actual upload is from 2016 but I think I had an intermediate version fixed up by someone else for cats and dogs in 2017 for the longest time until the infants patch. Which IIRC didn't break it either but likely would've caused new issues.

e: Yup just read up that thread, infants had facial deformation without the updated version. See now, technically I would've never needed that since I don't really play infants or family saves anymore and instead dick around or try building random ideas, but it's good that it's up to date anyway.