Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Republican Vampire posted:

It seems to have flavour text, which makes me think it's either cut or in preparation for something, or maybe both.

All the moodlets and so on only available through cheats have text specifically identifying them as not normally being accessible.

It's probably only for the Grim Reaper, and it's marked do not translate/this is a bug because it's meant to be a hidden /npc only thing, like how "can arrest thieves" or "cashier" are hidden traits in the Sims 3 for npcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

That stuff pack is weird because it has actual new content and not just furniture. Seems like they're incorporating mini-expansion packs this time around.

edit: Adds a new "vacation area" map (Granite Falls), and it seems it'll be $20. Oof. That's awful pricing. It does add sorely needed off-home-lot content, though. Camping vacations will be a good incentive to leave the home lot for once. Hopefully it'll go on sale for $10 soon-ish.

It'll be cool if that in addition to the regular expansions, the game/stuff packs aren't worthless.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I certainly HOPE it's not an expansion, or rather I hope the actual expansions are a bit more substantial.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Perhaps they listened all too well to the fan base. Wasn't everyone asking for smaller DLC only expansions back in the TS3 days?

Actually I expect this to be more along the lines of the world packs you can get for TS3, a map, some stuff associated with the theme, and a couple of clothing options.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Babby Sathanas posted:

Are those necessary anymore with move objects cheat being back (and better than every before)?
Not really; it's just convenient to be able to drag-and-drop wine bottles or a spice rack directly onto a shelf instead of loving around with moveobjects. (You still end up having to use moveobjects anyway for items with footprints too big for the surface, or if you want to squeeze items closer together on a side table.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I guess that while TS3 was optimized for brick and mortar shops, with nice big expansions that filled a DVD, TS4 may fully embrace online sales and focus on more, but smaller additions.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Elliotw2 posted:

It's probably only for the Grim Reaper, and it's marked do not translate/this is a bug because it's meant to be a hidden /npc only thing, like how "can arrest thieves" or "cashier" are hidden traits in the Sims 3 for npcs.

I always get a kick out of the explanations on how these mechanics work. Like how in The Sims 3 the service NPCs technically all lived in a tiny invisible house. It's still kind of a shame that reaper sims probably won't be a thing, because that would be a cool life state. It would be like that Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes Death.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Is there a way to edit the size of lots saved to the gallery? I edited a 20x15 house found on the gallery on a 20x30 lot and didn't realized it had saved to the new dimensions... I want to move the house to a 20x15 lot.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

True love is eating while your spouse is taking a poo poo. I couldn't stop laughing when it happened, this never occurred in the previous sims I played.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

True love is eating while your spouse is taking a poo poo. I couldn't stop laughing when it happened, this never occurred in the previous sims I played.

I've Peed Like A Champion while drinking a cocktail once. Imagine :smug: while sipping from a lowball and taking a poo poo

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

how is constructing stairs in 4? making basements was a huge pain in the rear end in 3, you had to place the stairs and then build the house around them

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hog Inspector posted:

how is constructing stairs in 4? making basements was a huge pain in the rear end in 3, you had to place the stairs and then build the house around them

You'll be happy to know that Sims 4 doesn't have basements :shepface:

Other than that, stairs are fine. They just lock to the next highest surface in their path, I think. I wish they would add an option to make stairs steeper for compact designs, but I guess that's kind of a niche requirement?

You can widen them by clicking the already built stairs and dragging the width arrow, as though the stairs were a room.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

You'll be happy to know that Sims 4 doesn't have basements :shepface:

Other than that, stairs are fine. They just lock to the next highest surface in their path, I think. I wish they would add an option to make stairs steeper for compact designs, but I guess that's kind of a niche requirement?

You can widen them by clicking the already built stairs and dragging the width arrow, as though the stairs were a room.

kind of odd they would remove basements, but i guess it's not that big a deal.

really the biggest thing i'll miss is create a style, being able to buy anything and have it match your decor was really convenient. honestly i'm kind of glad they removed the open world in favor of performance, it was nice but not worth 10 minute load times and a constant parade of bugs.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
There aren't spiral staircases in sims 4 yet are there? I'm sure i remember having them in 3.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yeah, it was a while before they got around to adding spiral staircases to Sims 3; they'll probably arrive eventually in Sims 4, too.

Hog Inspector posted:

honestly i'm kind of glad they removed the open world in favor of performance, it was nice but not worth 10 minute load times and a constant parade of bugs.
The only thing I genuinely miss about the open world was being able to manage sims in multiple locations, flipping easily back and forth between whichever ones were doing something interesting, and making sure everyone else was at least doing slightly useful things. In the Sims 4, I feel a lot of pressure to never go out because it's just such a hassle, and because it feels like anyone who's left back at home isn't actually getting anything done at all.

I think the improved performance and stability probably still makes it a fair trade, but it's still something that bugs me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Trilobite posted:

I feel a lot of pressure to never go out because it's just such a hassle, and because it feels like anyone who's left back at home isn't actually getting anything done at all.

I think the improved performance and stability probably still makes it a fair trade, but it's still something that bugs me.

Agreed. There basically is nothing outside of the house as far as I'm concerned, but I prefer playing in the home in TS4 to the world in TS3. Even my video game Mary Sue is a loving shut in, thanks Obama.

Also, its 50% off next 3 days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, I used to tend towards playing within my lot in TS3 as well. It would be more efficient to organize a house party every day (amongst other things because you could use your superior facilities) than to scour the town for social contacts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hog Inspector posted:

I've been wishing ever since the first game that they'd limit buildings to a single floor. I hate having to move between floors when a single-level layout would let me see all the rooms and everyone in the house at once.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Nothing's stopping you from building a flat house, just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it. I think I've used basements maybe twice in the years I've played TS3.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The one single feature I miss from Sims (and it might be a mod) is door limits. Annoying when you make a kids bathroom and the parents keep using it instead of the well appointed master bath. Or the children sacking the patient's bed instead of their own.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

JuffoWup posted:

The one single feature I miss from Sims (and it might be a mod) is door limits. Annoying when you make a kids bathroom and the parents keep using it instead of the well appointed master bath. Or the children sacking the patient's bed instead of their own.

Like "Only allow household" type limits? That was in Sims 2 for sure, I think Open for Business was the one that introduced it.

I miss it too. Though sims seem to be able to know which one is their bed in 4, though if one's more comfortable they seem to go for that one more often.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Elliotw2 posted:

Nothing's stopping you from building a flat house, just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I mostly just use the pre-built houses though, and most of them always seem to have multiple floors. House-building gets tedious really quickly for me.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hog Inspector posted:

really the biggest thing i'll miss is create a style, being able to buy anything and have it match your decor was really convenient. honestly i'm kind of glad they removed the open world in favor of performance, it was nice but not worth 10 minute load times and a constant parade of bugs.

I think Basements are out because the Engine doesn't do levels well. Stairs are kinda weird now, they cut terrain tools, and there used to be a shitload of bugs with ground-floor pools.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Keep in mind that the game is 50% off Origin until, well, tomorrow.

Even the digital deluxe edition if you want the neat items.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

I decided to take the plunge on that. Losing a lot of feasures suck but multitasking makes breakfast more enjoyable. Coffee and eggs at the same time. Only they mix juice in platters..

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gyrobot posted:

I decided to take the plunge on that. Losing a lot of feasures suck but multitasking makes breakfast more enjoyable. Coffee and eggs at the same time. Only they mix juice in platters..

Coffee, eggs, and Fox News. Like God intended. :fsmug:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm so freaking happy you can leave kids alone in the house. I unexpectadly had twins, so my sims need some me time at the gym quite a bit. The kids haven't burned the house down yet!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I can't really play Sims 3 anymore. The open world makes large households hard to manage, since every sim in the household is somewhere else. Not to mention the lag that occurs in the game, and the long loads to get the hood to open in the first place. It's just so laggy and almost unplayable when compared to Sims 3. Even when Sims 3 has a ton of content in it, it's no longer fun. It's more irritating. In the case of Sims 4, less is more. Able to leave my Sims at home unattended while other Sims may go to the park or bar or gym so they can enjoy themselves is much more enjoyable. Not to mention a party actually feels more like a party with Sims having drinks and chatting with each other. The only annoying part is musical chairs, but I got rid of that with a mod.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God I would have picked this up in a heartbeat during the sale if it was out for OSX. I know they officially said it's in the works already, but I don't expect to see it out until they have a first expansion out. Also for those who played 3 on Origin, did the expansions come out at the same time for both platforms? Or was there a delayed release?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

With both TS2 and 3 once the Mac version was released it was a dual release game, with the disks having both versions (since the only difference is the executable)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I know with SimCity, a more recent EA release, that once the Mac version came out that you would have access to it once you owned the game.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

drat it I want those neat add-on items. Why won't they discount the digital deluxe upgrade for peeps that have the game? Booo. hisssss I need digital hats and a Flaming Tiki Bar.

Anybody have it that can attest as to whether it would be worth a $14 plunge? I just learned that it gives additional recipes, furniture and drinks. It's so tempting.

IAmNotYourRealDad fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 27, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

drat it I want those neat add-on items. Why won't they discount the digital deluxe upgrade for peeps that have the game? Booo. hisssss I need digital hats and a Flaming Tiki Bar.

Anybody have it that can attest as to whether it would be worth a $14 plunge? I just learned that it gives additional recipes, furniture and drinks. It's so tempting.

The additional stuff isn't worth the $14. But if you got digital deluxe right off the bat with the 50% off deal to get the entire game, then it'd be worth it. It's worth $5.

I guess if you REALLY want it, splurge on the $14 upgrade. Surprised they didn't put the discount on the upgrade. If it was half price, then it'd be worth it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

I can't really play Sims 3 anymore. The open world makes large households hard to manage, since every sim in the household is somewhere else. Not to mention the lag that occurs in the game, and the long loads to get the hood to open in the first place. It's just so laggy and almost unplayable when compared to Sims 3. Even when Sims 3 has a ton of content in it, it's no longer fun. It's more irritating. In the case of Sims 4, less is more. Able to leave my Sims at home unattended while other Sims may go to the park or bar or gym so they can enjoy themselves is much more enjoyable. Not to mention a party actually feels more like a party with Sims having drinks and chatting with each other. The only annoying part is musical chairs, but I got rid of that with a mod.

Yeah, I finally went ahead and uninstalled TS3 for all these reasons. Also that all my TS4 Sims look good as hell and I just can't go back to 3's weird putty-faced people. The new art style is so good, it's much nicer and more vibrant than 3's.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I haven't yet taken the plunge to uninstall Sims 3. I should. It'll free up a ton of space on my drive.

Anyways, I haven't played since the pool update really. I just was in the mood of not playing The Sims 4 for a bit. But the game itself is much more improved. The interface changed for the better. The phone is much easier to navigate. The careers got some much needed tweaking to make them not as terrible. Being able to see the age group of a prospective partner by hovering over them is much, much, much, much better than always winding up courting someone one week before they become an elder, or you can avoid trying to court a teen and instead go straight for young adult. Elder women can't have Simbabies.

An image of an example. Yes, I know this guy looks like a douche. That's the point.

The game has gotten better with each patch. I do know they will be releasing the first paid expansion/DLC pack next month. I'll splurge on that, but won't get anything like a season pass for content for The Sims 4. It should be fun to return to camping in Sims 4, since camping in 3 was pretty meh, and the best camping experience has been with Sims 2 Bon Voyage.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 27, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do people feel about the digital deluxe content? Worth the extra 5 bucks?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

This conversation seriously just happened like three posts before yours.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

IAmTheRad posted:

It's worth $5.

Not often you quote yourself from a post on the very same page.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The camping is equivalent of a stuff pack, other than a new area right? Have they said anything about the first full blown expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any social aspects to the game that uses your Origin friends? I don't recall. I'm installing the game again and would love some Origin friends if it adds anything to the game. My Origin name is Alphanen.