Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Licensed tie-ins are a good way for a comic company to make quick cash. In order to keep churning out original work, Valiant spent some of the early 90's making comics about the WWF. We literally had Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko drawing the Big Boss Man and the Undertaker while a young Dwayne McDuffie was writing a surprisingly solid Ultimate Warrior short story.

A lot of the time, these comics are forgettable and are just comic companies exploiting the franchise without giving it much effort. Sometimes these hot properties will become part of mainstream comics canon, much like how Rom: Spaceknight, an obscure toy, became part of Marvel's cosmic scene and existed in a comic that lasted years longer than the actual toy. To this day, people wish Marvel could get the rights back just so we can get more adventures of Rom, or at least official releases of his series.

Yes, sometimes licensed comics can knock it out of the park. Other times you have something like the official Mega Man comics from Brazil or Ken Penders' Sonic the Hedgehog. Total horseshit, basically.

So from the good, the bad and the loving bizarre, here's a place to discuss them.

I'll start us off with NOW Comics' Terminator series. NOW did a Terminator series that lasted 17 issues, then got a wrap-up miniseries and a two-issue limited series that showed Kyle Reese going back in time. The series is terrible, but at the same time completely fascinating. Why? Because it came out in 1988, three years before Terminator 2.

As awesome as the first movie was, it was only the beginning of the series and the sequels could have gone in different directions with that foundation. Terminator 2 chose to double-down and solidified what kind of tone and story we'd constantly associate with the franchise. We don't have that in this comic. In fact, the idea of revisiting the plot of the first movie by having a good Terminator vs. an evil Terminator isn't even an obvious concept. Understandably, the only thing they could really think of was elaborate on the future war.

The series takes place during that future war, several years after Kyle was sent back. The comic mostly follows Sarah's Slammers, a team of rebels who take in a little boy who turns out to be Kyle's little brother. This doesn't sound too out of the ordinary so far.

The weirdness comes from the way they portray the Terminators. Since Terminator 2 hasn't happened yet and they haven't told us "Keep going with the Arnold model. Don't diversify it," they instead go with different human-looking designs. Only they have personalities. For the most part, Terminators talk like generic villains.

Like, why do they even have human heads and robot bodies? The whole point of Terminators having skin was to infiltrate. The Terminators also show fear at times, which totally goes against Kyle's big speech about how terrifying they are.

But luckily, the resistance has an ace up their sleeve named Konrad. See, before SkyNet went haywire, man had colonized the moon and people would visit every now and then. They also have their own android guy who is in no way related to the Terminators. Konrad has a terrible 80's design and basically acts like a normal action dude.

The series isn't all bad, though. There are stories not involving the main characters that are quite good, such as an arc about a Terminator who stumbles upon a tribe of indigenous people in a rain forest who were so separate from society and technology that they slipped completely under SkyNet's radar. You have a tribe of dudes with spears trying to take on a cyborg and it's kind of rad.

The series trails off for a while and just kind of ends. The follow-up Terminator: The Burning Earth is a completely different comic. It's more fondly remembered not only because it actually FEELS like a Terminator story, but it's the first published comic with Alex Ross art. Gone is all the camp and instead you have five issues of the resistance trying to shut down SkyNet once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

IDW has been publishing G.I.Joe comics for the last several years, which for the most part, have been pretty entertaining (especially its various "Cobra" series). Over the summer the storyline came to end and they relaunched it with a new number one.

Written by Karen Traviss, formerly of Star Wars "fame".

Three issues in and it's pretty bad.

G.I. Joe, while soldiers, have always been portrayed as basically a counter measures forces. If Cobra, or any one else threatens, the Joes are sent to deal with it.

Traviss' first arc is the Joes being sent in as assassins. Kind of leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Gavok posted:

The series trails off for a while and just kind of ends. The follow-up Terminator: The Burning Earth is a completely different comic. It's more fondly remembered not only because it actually FEELS like a Terminator story, but it's the first published comic with Alex Ross art. Gone is all the camp and instead you have five issues of the resistance trying to shut down SkyNet once and for all.

That' the one where Ross worked "Now Comix Sucks" on the cover, isn't it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

That' the one where Ross worked "Now Comix Sucks" on the cover, isn't it?

That would be it. I don't have the issue on me at the moment, but I think it was "NOW COMIX BLOS" due to them loving him over on pay.

NOW Comics was like a bizarre proto-IDW that was mainly known for having a ton of licensed comics like Ghostbusters, Fright Night, Speed Racer and Green Hornet. Terminator wasn't even its weirdest comic.

On one hand, you had Neal Adams' Mr. T and the T-Force, where Mr. T went around cleaning the streets armed with nothing but a camcorder. It lasted for 11 issues before NOW collapsed.

Then there was the Married with Children comic. The only thing I remember about it was a storyline where the Bundys were blasted with cosmic rays from their exploding TV and became superheroes called the Quantum Quartet (with Kelly made of rocks). Just typing that sentence gave me the douche chills.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

That would be it. I don't have the issue on me at the moment, but I think it was "NOW COMIX BLOS" due to them loving him over on pay.

NOW Comics was like a bizarre proto-IDW that was mainly known for having a ton of licensed comics like Ghostbusters, Fright Night, Speed Racer and Green Hornet.

Famous for licensed comics and loving people over on pay? Sounds more like proto-Dreamwave.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can someone explain how the licensing agreements work regarding stuff published under prior contracts? Like, IDW does reprints of Marvel's old Transformers and GI Joe books, and of old DC and Gold Key Star Trek books. How is that handled/allowed? Are the comics treated as work-for-hire, so the licensor owns them, not the publisher?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Did someone shine the AoDsignal? Oh wait, this is about liscenced comics that AREN'T Rom: Spaceknight. Off I go! Though I guess TransformersUK, GI Joe, and Micronauts discussion could go here.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
There are now 2 issues of Dynamite's Shaft series out and both have been really loving good! I'm almost getting a Rucka detective story vibe from the book and the art is better than I would have thought. Anyone else reading it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I should repost my reviews of the Dark Horse Aliens sequel comics here, if anyone's interested? Don't wanna be too self-indulgent and they are fairly loving big posts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe I should repost my reviews of the Dark Horse Aliens sequel comics here, if anyone's interested? Don't wanna be too self-indulgent and they are fairly loving big posts.

Definitely do that. Those were keen.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Gaz-L posted:

Can someone explain how the licensing agreements work regarding stuff published under prior contracts? Like, IDW does reprints of Marvel's old Transformers and GI Joe books, and of old DC and Gold Key Star Trek books. How is that handled/allowed? Are the comics treated as work-for-hire, so the licensor owns them, not the publisher?

I doubt anybody on this forum has actually seen any of these contracts, but given Marvel was able to rush out a whole slew of Star Wars books onto comixology already (hilariously including the reprints of the old Marvel comic, but with the Dark Horse designed covers and hastily affixed Marvel logos), I'd say you probably hit it on the head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How is the X-files season 10 comics? Been reawatching the show and wondering if it is worth a read or will I regret it like when I get to seasons 8 and 9?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

Definitely do that. Those were keen.

Ok, will do that when there's a bit of a lull in posts, don't want to just dump three huge walls of text on this thread immediately.

I checked out the new Star Wars and it was... okay? I don't know, there wasn't really a hook or anything and Aaron's writing didn't shine through. Coolest moment was Leia punching out a dude I guess.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Just read the whole Parker/Shaner/Bellaire run on Flash Gordon, goddamn it is so good, but so short, not even a full year of comics and it is not really a self-contained story :smith:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I may be in the minority, but I sort of love the new Masters of the Universe DC has been putting out for the last couple of years. It's basically detached almost entirely from the continuity set up by past cartoons and comics, and has pretty much said, "gently caress it, let's just kind of go crazy".

It started with Keith Geffin writing it as a world where Skeletor won ( we later found out it was because of loving Orko after he got power from Hordak's skull), and from there has murdered off major characters, completely changed others (especially Teela), and has now come to the point where Etheria's armies have taken over Eternia. While it's pretty apparent the plot is sometimes being made up at the last second, the storyline has somehow remained surprisingly tight and fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I saw the first issue of the new run has Teela as a snake-witch, and He-Man and She-Ra are leading the Rebel Alliance or something?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Soonmot posted:

There are now 2 issues of Dynamite's Shaft series out and both have been really loving good! I'm almost getting a Rucka detective story vibe from the book and the art is better than I would have thought. Anyone else reading it?

Yep, and I'm diggin' it.

Loved Flash Gordon and was gutted to see it end. It was a nice surprise.

Star Wars was pretty meh. Aaron's dialogue seemed really forced to me and the discontinuity between faces that were obviously traced and those that weren't bothered me. And the whole thing just felt so...safe.

But it had a decent enough set up so I'll give it another issue or two.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Shitshow posted:

Star Wars was pretty meh. Aaron's dialogue seemed really forced to me and the discontinuity between faces that were obviously traced and those that weren't bothered me. And the whole thing just felt so...safe.

Yeah, it is ridiculously bad. More lovely callbacks than in prequels in "it is like poetry, it rhymes" fashion. It is a quintessential licensed comic, with heavily referenced and static art, lack of ambitions, wrong tone, and awkward attempts at making it more action-y.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I saw the first issue of the new run has Teela as a snake-witch, and He-Man and She-Ra are leading the Rebel Alliance or something?

Tella has become the new sorceress, has taken control of the Snake Men (after it was revealed that King Hiss had murdered and replaced He-Man's father, Randor, then led the team into Hell), and has taken up residence in Snake Mountain, which is the home base of the rebellion against Hordak's armies. Also, at one point, Tella manipulates She-Ra into cutting He-Man's throat.

The comic is sort of bonkers and fun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It kinda sounds like He-Man's Injustice.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, it is ridiculously bad. More lovely callbacks than in prequels in "it is like poetry, it rhymes" fashion. It is a quintessential licensed comic, with heavily referenced and static art, lack of ambitions, wrong tone, and awkward attempts at making it more action-y.

It only just started and it might take a while before Aaron or any of the Marvel writers do anything interesting with the property because the Force Awakens has yet to be released. Marketing synergy can make tie-ins pretty lame.

McSpanky posted:

It kinda sounds like He-Man's Injustice.

I wonder what gritty Fisto looks like?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
"Hi I'm John Cassady when they said draw a wall of stormtroppers I drew a wall then painted stormtroopers on it."

I love Star Wars too much to be anything but thrilled by the first issue, when Threepio said he had a good feeling about it, I got so giddy to see things go all to hell.

Threepio should never have a good feeling about anything.

But I really wish they'd gotten artists I care for. Dodson and Larocca aren't exactly up there on my list either.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm looking forward to the new Jem and the Holograms comic because basically I'll buy anything Ross Campbell is drawing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm looking forward to the new Jem and the Holograms comic because basically I'll buy anything Ross Campbell is drawing

What happened to the Holograms? Did Jem fire them so the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe could be her band?

(:ssh: I'm probably buying it too)

Edit: YOU SAW NOTHING. NO TYPOS HERE.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2015

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Gaz-L posted:

Why happened to the Holograms? Did Jem fire them so the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe could be her band?

(:ssh: I'm probably buying it too)
SPEAKING OF STEVEN UNIVERSE

He did a little one page thing for the comic but it didn't get used and he posted it on twitter.

How has the SU comic been? I picked up the first issue and it was ok but then I kind of let it get away from me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I know every reviewer in the world is falling over themselves to circle-jerk over how great Marvel Star Wars is after one mediocre issue but the Dark Horse stuff really was pretty good. The Republic/Clone Wars series that ran from 1998-2006 really blew the prequels out of the water (which I know is damning with faint praise, but they were still great). Plus whatever one thinks of them, stuff like Tales/Dawn of the Jedi, KOTOR, Legacy, even Dark Empire at the time took chances that I doubt Marvel will ever allow, even after the sequel trilogy is over and they have some more space.

Hakkesshu posted:

The only Aliens comic I've read was Labyrinth and that was pretty drat intense.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/19/dynamite-resurrects-reanimator-davidsen-valiente/
Dynamite is putting out a Re-Animator comic.

The first is absolutely one of my favourite comedy/horror films, but I'm not expecting much from the comic. Not expecting I'll even read it, but I do appreciate Jae Lee and Francesco Francavilla Re-Animator related art!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

Basically. The only things the publisher owns the rights to are things the publisher creates. This is what fucks up any chance of more ROM comics from anyone: ROM the character is owned by Hasbro, who's trying to stick with IDW. Literally everything else from that comic, and thus what people actually want from a new book/reprints, is owned by Marvel

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/19/dynamite-resurrects-reanimator-davidsen-valiente/
Dynamite is putting out a Re-Animator comic.

The first is absolutely one of my favourite comedy/horror films, but I'm not expecting much from the comic. Not expecting I'll even read it, but I do appreciate Jae Lee and Francesco Francavilla Re-Animator related art!

You never know, like I said, the Shaft comic is *really* good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Basically. The only things the publisher owns the rights to are things the publisher creates. This is what fucks up any chance of more ROM comics from anyone: ROM the character is owned by Hasbro, who's trying to stick with IDW. Literally everything else from that comic, and thus what people actually want from a new book/reprints, is owned by Marvel

That really sucks. I imagine DC gives less than a poo poo about it but some of those old Trek comics were pretty cool, like the movie-era series where the crew went to the Mirror Universe after the events of Star Trek III.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of Hasbro, Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye published by IDW has been really good since pretty much the beginning of the series. In the IDW universe, the war is over, and all the remaining Cybertronians were called back to Cybertron, which leads to a lot of tension, obviously. The situation on Cybertron is followed in the Transformers series (formerly Transformers: Robots in Disguise) which I liked up until after a crossover between the two changed the focus of the story. Anyway, MTMTE followed Rodimus deciding to find the Knights of Cybertron, a potentially mythical group of Transformers, and he takes along a rather ragtag crew of Autobots and Decepticons. It's really well written with great characterization and a sprawling plot.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of Hasbro, Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye published by IDW has been really good since pretty much the beginning of the series. In the IDW universe, the war is over, and all the remaining Cybertronians were called back to Cybertron, which leads to a lot of tension, obviously. The situation on Cybertron is followed in the Transformers series (formerly Transformers: Robots in Disguise) which I liked up until after a crossover between the two changed the focus of the story. Anyway, MTMTE followed Rodimus deciding to find the Knights of Cybertron, a potentially mythical group of Transformers, and he takes along a rather ragtag crew of Autobots and Decepticons. It's really well written with great characterization and a sprawling plot.

Any other recommendations with Transformers comics since IDW has like a hundred Transformers comic series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LateToTheParty posted:

Any other recommendations with Transformers comics since IDW has like a hundred Transformers comic series.

The Classics trades are reprints of the old Marvel books, which are fun for nostalgia's sake. And I got the first trade of their big relaunch of the brand as just The Transformers, which is pretty neat, as it's set after the end of the war, but a bunch of the characters are still stuck on Earth dealing with the fallout.

They're also apparently adding another ongoing soon, a Windblade solo book, which could be fun.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

LateToTheParty posted:

Immediately read Transformers vs GI Joe.

I'll second MTMTE though, I just picked it up expecting a decent romp but it's the second best Transformers comic I've ever read. The issue about Chromedome and Rewind is worth it alone.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 1, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question: Where does Red Sonja fall in this discussion? Like, I'd be pretty sure Conan belongs in here, but Sonja's technically a comic book character through-and-through, created by Roy Thomas and everything.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Question: Where does Red Sonja fall in this discussion? Like, I'd be pretty sure Conan belongs in here, but Sonja's technically a comic book character through-and-through, created by Roy Thomas and everything.

:justpost:

She's relevant enough to the thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red Sonja is a 1985 Dutch-American sword and sorcery action film directed by Richard Fleis- Wait, wrong medium.

Red Sonja is pretty much the quintessential sword-and-sorcery heroine in comics. Ostensibly created by Robert Howard in a short story unrelated to his more famous Conan works, Sonja as we know her was actually created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith for Marvel's Conan The Barbarian series in 1973. (The Howard story was about a Renaissence gun-wielding pirate type. Thomas took that concept, smooshed it with another Howard character, a French swordswoman, and plopped the result into Conan's world.)

Her origin story is.... problematic. As a teenager, her village in Hyrkania is sacked by mercenaries/bandits, her friends and family murdered in front of her, and when she tries to fight back, is too weak to lift her brother's sword and gets raped for her trouble. She cries to the heavens to grant her vengeance, and a goddess answers by giving her great strength and fighting prowess, with the caveat that if she has sex with a man who has not defeated her in honourable combat, she will lose those gifts.

Yeah.

And so began guest appearances in Conan, her own book from Marvel that ran for 30+ issues across multiple volumes in the 70s and 80s, a movie (hey, see, it was relevant) in '85, and a handful of prose novels. Eventually the rights moved from Marvel to other publishers, until it finally landed at Dynamite in 2005, launching a million mini-series, crossovers, and three ongoing books, two of which ran in parallel.

Red Sonja: She-Devil With A Sword was originally written by Mike Avon Oeming and drawn by Stephen Sadowski. It ran for 80 issues, and is particularly notable for (mid-series spoiler) killing Sonja off about halfway through the run and making it a legacy, with a new woman, a distant cousin of the original, taking up the mantle.. It ran for 81 issues with multiple creative teams.

It also had a bunch of Greg Land pin-up covers. :geno:

Queen Sonja is... kinda what it says on the tin from what I can tell. (I have read none of this one) It's about Sonja becoming QUEEN, BY HER OWN HAND [/Mako]. Original creative team was Josh Ortega and Mel Rubi. It ran for 35 issues and was going at the same time as the main Sonja title until 2013, when both books were replaced by...

Red Sonja, currently ongoing, by Gail Simone (writing) and Walter Geovani (pencils). This is pretty much a complete reboot, abandoning the rape and goddess origin for a more low-fantasy beginning, with Sonja's village once again being sacked, but instead, she escapes her captors and hunts them down the way her father taught her to hunt deer, before eventually being found and caught, feral in the woods, by a creepy as gently caress toad-man who makes her into a gladiator and only threatens to rape her which... is better, I guess? Anyway, she becomes a badass warrior from fighting in the forest and in the arena, and eventually only she and one other woman are left, due to fight to the death the next day, but WAIT! The ruler of the city the arena is in was at war with another king, who frees Sonja and her companion from the arena as he liberates the city, and so begins her adventuring career.

I'll be honest, this is the book that made me want to write this post.

I know Simone is not popular in BSS, and her tone does lend a certain Xena-ness to proceedings, but it really works. The ditching of the goddess stuff means she's able to write Sonja as, well, a female Conan. She likes to drink, gently caress and fight, in roughly that order. The second arc literally has Sonja being horny as hell as a subplot (the running gag being that she's been putting off bathing, and as such can't get laid, thought there's usually other reasons why she gets rejected too.). This may have been the longest lead-up to the joke in #10, where Sonja remarks to the world's greatest swordsman, who she's just propositioned and been told no by, that not being able to have sex until you've been defeated in combat (his reason for turning her down, as she hasn't beaten him), is "the stupidest thing I've ever heard".

Two other neat things about this book. One: All the cover art is by women. Main covers by Jenny Frison, and variants by people as varied as Ming Doyle, Amanda Conner, Stephanie Buscema and Becky Cloonan. And two, while they're canny enough to not ditch the metal bikini look entirely, Simone and Geovani do take a lot of opportunities to mix up the main character's look. Which makes sense, as...

The famous 'mail bikini' outfit is actually not the original design for the character.

This is how she looked in her first appearance. The more famous look came from Esteban Maroto, who sent in what was basically fan-art of her in that outfit, to Roy Thomas, early in the character's existence. It stuck.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Immediately read Transformers vs GI Joe.

I'll second MTMTE though, I just picked it up expecting a decent romp but it's the second best Transformers comic I've ever read. The issue about Chromedome and Rewind is worth it alone.

Transformers Vs GI Joe (The one set in WW2) has always made me think that a fairly MA rated GI Joe comic set in WW2 would/could be fun and interesting. Make them basically a specops team attached to the OSS, make Cobra a rogue SS division, similar to Hydra in the cap movies. You can even tie in the mystical cobra poo poo by putting the initial part of the setting in North Africa, maybe have Cobra digging up some temple to Set/trying to gain more power.

The Joes can be special forces archetypes; Shipwreck would be a precursor to UDT/Seals, Bazooka would be a demolitions/heavy weapons dude. Snakeeyes an American expat who escaped Japan right before the war went hot. The whole snakeyes/stormshadow rivalry would be that the ninjas didn't support the emperors war and Stormshadow murdered the master and took over etc etc.

I mean considering the various Joe archetypes are basically spinoffs from WW2 ideas, why not set it there? Would have the nice side effect of getting away from the lasers/robots and tank designs with open cockpits.

Fakeedit: This may already exist, I have no clue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/02/12/dc-entertainments-vertigo-imprint-to-publish-mad-max-fury-road-deluxe-edition-and#1
DC/Vertigo are putting out a couple of Mad Max things in May.

quote:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: INSPIRED ARTISTS will contain double-page spreads from 65 visionary artists bringing their own unique style to the world of Mad Max: Fury Road. Each of the artists’ work will be inspired by Miller’s post-apocalyptic wasteland. These spreads will range from spectacular action sequences to haunting character portraits. Artists participating include Lee Bermejo, Dave McKean, Cliff Chiang, Nicola Scott, Stephanie Hans, Tara McPherson, among others. This book is due to hit shelves on May 6, prior to the film’s May 15th release.

In addition, George Miller, Nico Lathouris and Mark Sexton are writing four prelude stories that follow leading characters Nux, Immortan Joe, Furiosa, and Mad Max, whose story will be in two parts. This miniseries will release one issue a month, starting with MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: NUX & IMMORTAN JOE #1 releasing on May 20, followed by MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: FURIOSA #1 and MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: MAD MAX #1 & #2. Nico Lathouris served as a co-writer on the film while Mark Sexton served as storyboard and concept artist for Mad Max: Fury Road. Interior artists working on these projects include Riccardo Burchielli, Leandro Fernandez, Tristan Jones, and Mark Sexton, while covers will be illustrated by Tommy Lee Edwards.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Crossposting in the Indie thread:

Link.

"Dynamite has announced a new big event series from Gail Simone and Sergio Davila, Swords of Sorrow. Crossing over between many of their female characters, the series will lead into a series of tie-in stories written by some of the most talented women in the business, including Marguerite Bennett, Leah Moore, Mairghread Scott, Emma Beeby, Mikki Kendall, Nancy Collins, and G. Willow Wilson."

I'm always fascinated when Dynamite try to do one of these crossovers, because they're not like Marvel, DC, Top Cow or Valiant, that usually do this stuff, because all their books take place in one contiguous (if weird) world. Dynamite has to really stretch to do this with even two of their properties, normally. (Or work with another publisher, like on their Django and Conan crossovers recently) This is doing it with a fuckton, ranging from John Carter to Red Sonja (makes some sense) to Jungle Girl (OK?) to Green Hornet and Vampirella (...what?).

It's also kinda interesting to see them trying to broach this gap between audiences, with the recent relaunch of Sonja and Vampirella with female writers, trying to balance the more cheesecake-y exploitation (and I mean this in the exploitation genre meaning, as much as the more general sense) with women characters showing real agency and not just as tits for nerds to ogle. Not saying they succeed all or even much of the time, but it's a curious way of trying to claw some relevancy.

(I posted the variant cover mostly because I think it looks cool.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Right now I'm working on an article where I'm reading every single RoboCop comic book. Over the years, RoboCop's been part of Marvel, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Avatar Press and now BOOM Studios. I'm currently trying to power my way through Frank Miller's RoboCop by Avatar Press.

Guys, it's so bad. For those who don't know, it's Steven Grant writing a comic based on Miller's original screenplay for RoboCop 2. Between Miller's uncut lunacy and the Avatar Press art style, I'm seriously feeling physically ill reading it.

What's interesting about it is that in the movie, the main villain Cain was addicted and selling a drug called Nuke. In the original script, the main villain is literally Nuke from Miller's Daredevil. Like, it's so blatant that he's supposed to be Nuke that it's kind of sad. I really hate this comic.

• Locked thread