Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

Right now I'm working on an article where I'm reading every single RoboCop comic book. Over the years, RoboCop's been part of Marvel, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Avatar Press and now BOOM Studios. I'm currently trying to power my way through Frank Miller's RoboCop by Avatar Press.

Guys, it's so bad. For those who don't know, it's Steven Grant writing a comic based on Miller's original screenplay for RoboCop 2. Between Miller's uncut lunacy and the Avatar Press art style, I'm seriously feeling physically ill reading it.

What's interesting about it is that in the movie, the main villain Cain was addicted and selling a drug called Nuke. In the original script, the main villain is literally Nuke from Miller's Daredevil. Like, it's so blatant that he's supposed to be Nuke that it's kind of sad. I really hate this comic.

There was a really good article about that Robocop 2 comic once but I can't remember where it was now. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about, I think it compares the comic with the movie and how both of them are kind of inane in their own ways but the comic is seriously batshit nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

There was a really good article about that Robocop 2 comic once but I can't remember where it was now. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about, I think it compares the comic with the movie and how both of them are kind of inane in their own ways but the comic is seriously batshit nuts.

It might have been i-Mockery, since they did a pretty high-profile look at the comic. They put it best in that it makes you want to rewatch RoboCop 2 immediately after just to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

I think I might consider Frank Miller's RoboCop to be an even worse comic than Dynamite's Terminator/RoboCop: Kill Human. And that's a comic that ends with RoboCop causing the death of John Conner because the ends justifies the means, only at no point is it in any way expressed what the "ends" is even supposed to be.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
And he teamed up with the evil guy from the first movie because why not. I did like the army of ED 209's though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Marvel RoboCop series is interesting. It's basically split into two halves with a fill-in in-between. First you have Alan Grant writing it where it's mostly decent, but really feels like RoboCop shoved into your average early 90's Marvel comic. It's way too futuristic for what the movie established, constantly featuring flying motorcycles, flying cars, cloned dinosaurs, wise-cracking sailor robots, etc. If anything, it's worth checking out for a two-issue story about people dressing up as superheroes and becoming vigilantes which reads like a less gross Garth Ennis comic.

Then Simon Furman takes over and it becomes really good. I really wish they just had him write the second and third movie instead because his poo poo was way better. His first arc especially would have made for a good basis of RoboCop 2 where OCP is so interested in following up on RoboCop's success that instead of "let's make a serial killer a RoboCop because no way will that blow up in our face" they cut corners and kidnap people off the street, lobotomize them and try to make a secret army of RoboCops.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

The Marvel RoboCop series is interesting. It's basically split into two halves with a fill-in in-between. First you have Alan Grant writing it where it's mostly decent, but really feels like RoboCop shoved into your average early 90's Marvel comic. It's way too futuristic for what the movie established, constantly featuring flying motorcycles, flying cars, cloned dinosaurs, wise-cracking sailor robots, etc. If anything, it's worth checking out for a two-issue story about people dressing up as superheroes and becoming vigilantes which reads like a less gross Garth Ennis comic.

Then Simon Furman takes over and it becomes really good. I really wish they just had him write the second and third movie instead because his poo poo was way better. His first arc especially would have made for a good basis of RoboCop 2 where OCP is so interested in following up on RoboCop's success that instead of "let's make a serial killer a RoboCop because no way will that blow up in our face" they cut corners and kidnap people off the street, lobotomize them and try to make a secret army of RoboCops.

Wasn't the Marvel comic based on the Saturday morning cartoon?

(and I'm totally serious for those who don't know. Robocop had a Saturday morning cartoon.)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't the Marvel comic based on the Saturday morning cartoon?

(and I'm totally serious for those who don't know. Robocop had a Saturday morning cartoon.)

RoboCop had TWO Saturday morning cartoons. And a live-action show aimed at kids too. Where he fought Roddy Piper as an insane vigilante.

The Marvel comic isn't based on any of those, though. It definitely takes place in the movie universe and after RoboCop 2 came out (as well as the Marvel adaptation), there were a couple references to the events. Mainly the whole thing about Murphy's wife and how RoboCop had to lie to her and claim he wasn't actually Murphy. The last couple issues deal with that especially.

I still have some reading left to do, but so far it seems like Dark Horse's comics (including RoboCop vs. Terminator) are the only ones that actually take place after RoboCop 3. All the comics that come afterwards appear to be all "Yeah, that movie never happened. We don't like to talk about it." Mainly because the movie's release was delayed for about a year. So all these Dark Horse comics came out prior to the movie (and its adaptation) and practically spoiled a major part of it. More specifically, the fact that Anne Lewis is completely missing and RoboCop's constantly working with Dr. Lazarus.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011
I've been recently surprised by the fact that a Galaxy Quest comic exists - the movie was a fun affectionate parody of Star Trek, but I'm rather surprised that someone estimated that there's a market for this and went ahead with it.

Or is it simply possible to really want a comic to exist based on something that seems interesting to enough people, pitch it to a publisher, and then go from there?
It does seem more viable thanks to digital distribution, but I have no idea how comics based on relatively obscure properties usually come to be.

Another example is the MilleniuM comic, based on that Chris Carter series that shares a setting with the X-Files - I liked the show, bu wouldn't expect it to come up again in a different media.

As for more famous stuff, for the most part I enjoyed the Udon Street Fighter comics, at least the early ones, which did som clever things to reference as much obscure and spinoff canon as possible (agent Shadow as a reference to the secret character in the Marvel crossovers was something of a surprise, that still fit). By the time the story reached the actual Street Fighter 2 events, something about it just felt unfamiliar and off (like a battle against multiple characters based on Kung-Fu Panda...).
I keep buying those because if an SF comic doesn't sell, a decent King of Fighters comic has no chance, and I'd really like that to exist.

Recently I also found that the latest Sonic comics have managed to toss in references to Segata Sanshiro and Fighting Vipers while covering Sonic the Fighters events, so that was kind of neat - I'm more of a general Sega fan than specifically a Sonic one, so I'm glad Ian Flynn manages to sneak in that kind of stuff.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

South Town guy posted:

Or is it simply possible to really want a comic to exist based on something that seems interesting to enough people, pitch it to a publisher, and then go from there?
It does seem more viable thanks to digital distribution, but I have no idea how comics based on relatively obscure properties usually come to be.

I wonder if on some level it's an inversion of the trend of comics and characters potentially having more monetary value if they move beyond their print origins and into film/TV/merchandising.

If I was the producer of a cancelled TV show or a movie with seemingly no sequels or reboots in sight, or wanting to (re)build some hype and awareness, letting someone do a comic book version of it seems like it has the potential to show investors/studios that the property not only is still viable. You've also got all these ready-to-be-adapted stories you can mine from it if for film/TV production, too.

I'm not too well-versed on various issues of IP and Copyright/Trademark laws, but could maybe there be an issue of using things like comic book continuations and adaptations as a way of proving you, as owner of the IP, haven't abandoned trademarks, names, etc.?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's my look at the history of RoboCop comics.

Almost 30 years, 5 publishers, over 100 issues. The best being Miller's Terminator crossover, Simon Furman's Marvel stuff and the current Boom Studios series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh boy, licensed comics. I'm such a sucker for these. :kiddo:

I could talk about Aliens/Predator/AvP comics forever (although I actually haven't yet read the new Fire & Stone stuff that Dark Horse has been doing, but I'm working on that). I've also got every Terminator comic, and that's a franchise that has spanned a shitton of licensees over the years (since ownership of the Terminator franchise is a colossal clusterfuck).

Boom Studios has done a pair of very solid licensed series: Hellraiser and 28 Days Later. The art in both is pretty great, and they work well with the movies they're based on (the 28 Days Later ones bridge the two movies, the Hellraiser ones pick up from Hellraiser 3 and ignores everything else). It helps that the Hellraiser ones are at least in part written by Clive Barker, as well.

I'm a huge (HUGE) fan of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', but unfortunately the licensed comics for that are... hit or miss. The first 2-part arc had potential, and the art is great, but it misconstrues what the Thing creature could do pretty heavily and ultimately feels really truncated, and the whole story suffers from it.
The sequel series, "Climate of Fear", is a lot better and much more true to the ideas in the movie, although the art isn't that hot.
The last series they did, "Eternal Vows", is all over the drat place and really not very good. :sigh:

Edit-- I'm also a pretty big Red Sonja fan. I've really, really enjoyed the Dynamite revival of the character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've spent the last few weeks at work reading a crap ton of Red Sonja, Conan and Star Wars comics. (Work's been hella slow at times). I got all the way through Dark Horse's first volume of reprints of Savage Sword comics for Conan. Which includes some awesome stories, like Red Nails, Frost Giant's Daughter, A Witch Shall Be Born, the part of the Howard novel where he retakes Aquilonia, and at least 3 separate occasions where Conan fights a dinosaur. Plus you get some sweet Roy Thomas/Robert Howard purple prose, and awesome Barry Windsor-Smith art. All for super-cheap, and unlike the Showcase Presents/Marvel Essentials type reprints, these were already b/w comics, so you're not missing anything.

(Volume 2 opens with Conan meeting aliens. Not kidding.)

Simone's current arc on Red Sonja is pretty great, and is much stronger than Oeming's slightly silly "RELIGION BAD!" tack from the early part of the Dynamite run. Currently, Sonja has been cursed by an evil wizard so she lacks the empathy and capacity to forgive. Any slight, no matter how trivial, and she is compelled to react with murderous vengeance. It sounds kinda funny, and the first instance is played blackly comic to begin with, but it's quickly made clear that this is a BIG problem, and it even manages to tie into a broader theme, when Sonja finds a survivor of the crew that murdered her family and he's truly remorseful and has sought redemption. I can see it going multiple ways, which isn't something you can often say about adventure stories of this ilk. Walter Geovani's art continues to rock, he's got a good knack for body language and faces, and manages to make Sonja sexy, without making her feel like an object posing for the reader, nor robbing her of the intimidation factor. She looks like a lady that lives up to the "I'm Red Sonja, I'm everyone's type!" billing, while also seeming believably tough. A lot of artists would make her a lot slimmer built than Geovani, which is a big plus.

The Star Wars stuff has been the old X-Wing books, which are kinda crazy in how murder-happy Luke is, and how little the books seem to care about introducing anyone. Like, there's a lady with the bionic head thing that Lobot has in Empire, and a Sullustan, and I have no clue where they come from or who they are. I only know the other main Rogues because I read the novels in high school (which spoiled a big-ish twist, I think, in an early issue.) Art is also pretty rough at some points, trying to skirt that line between actor likeness and a looser, more cartoony style.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

it's Friday the 13th and I volunteered to read every Friday the 13th comic. Hoo boy.

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash 2 is the worst, guys.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gavok posted:

it's Friday the 13th and I volunteered to read every Friday the 13th comic. Hoo boy.

I never got that chance to read The Nightmare Warriors, that does sound rather dire. On the other hand, the Avatar comics were absolutely dreadful, only marginally better than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre ones. Good article, any chance we'll be seeing overviews of the other New Line horror comics?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation is by far my favourite of the Friday the 13th books and a good short story in it's own right. It'd never happen now but I'd love to see Aaron do another story, Jason just fits his writing style perfectly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

catlord posted:

I never got that chance to read The Nightmare Warriors, that does sound rather dire. On the other hand, the Avatar comics were absolutely dreadful, only marginally better than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre ones. Good article, any chance we'll be seeing overviews of the other New Line horror comics?

I am consistently shocked at how hard it is to find the Innovation Nightmare on Elm Street comics. Apparently they printed three of the goddamned things and locked the original art up in a Mayan temple somewhere behind a rolling-boulder trap.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

catlord posted:

Great idea. I'll definitely pitch that for around October.

Waterhaul posted:

How I Spent My Summer Vacation is by far my favourite of the Friday the 13th books and a good short story in it's own right. It'd never happen now but I'd love to see Aaron do another story, Jason just fits his writing style perfectly.

It reminds me of the early Freddy vs. Jason screenplays that tried to portray Jason as an anti-hero, only Aaron was able to actually pull it off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

I told you this years ago and you didn't listen. You should listen to me more.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

I told you this years ago and you didn't listen. You should listen to me more.

Even Bane's clock is right twice a day.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gavok posted:

Almost 30 years, 5 publishers, over 100 issues. The best being Miller's Terminator crossover, Simon Furman's Marvel stuff and the current Boom Studios series.

A Simon Furman book about a robot is good? That's quite unsurprising, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, this category was most of my subscription list in Comixology this week:

Red Sonja #15: Wrapped up the curse story a lot more tritely than I was hoping. I think the extra delay because of the #100 special might have made this worse because of the increased expectation I was able to generate for myself. After all the potential of Sonja having to deal with the looming threat of basically turning into a violent, mouth-foaming psychopath if someone bumps into her on the street, she (to be fair, sensibly) cripples her ability to to fight so she can't be a danger to anyone, and then just overcomes the curse due to the power of... um... people not being douchebags? I think Simone was going for a "Yay, human decency!" thing, but it was kinda weak. Sonja's new pyromancer sidekick getting Dumbo'ed into getting his powers back was pretty nice, though.

Django/Zorro #5: gently caress yes this book has been a ton of fun and this month's issue has a big ol' flashback to the movie's timeframe, which resulted in me reading every single line by Dr Schultz aloud in my awful Christoph Waltz impression. My only issue is that Wagner and Tarrantino haven't quite made the comic's villain as memorably entertaining yet hateable as Leo DiCaprio was in the film, nor a henchman as purely loathsome as Sam Jackson was.

Jem & The Holograms #1: A ton of fun, and Sophie Campbell KILLS on art duties, aided by a colourist that knows her stuff and chooses a striking pallet to sell the aesthetic of the series. My only real problem was the intro of Synergy. I think just having her appear is a trifle lazy, and having Jerrica actually puzzle out some clue their dad left would've been much cooler, but otherwise, the book does exactly what it needs to, establishes the four leads, one key relationship, and our heroine's core inner conflict in such a way that it excites the reader for the potential going forward, and I am, so good job!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Godzilla In Hell miniseries with rotating creators. James Stokoe's doing the first issue.
http://multiversitycomics.com/news/exclusive-idw-does-the-unthinkable-puts-godzilla-in-hell-this-july/

quote:

GODZILLA FACES THE FIERY INFERNO OF HELL ITSELF!
ABANDON ALL HOPE…

San Diego, CA (March 27, 2015) – In over six decades of battles and triumphs, Godzilla has never faced a challenge as great as what’s coming his way this July in the brand new mini-series Godzilla in Hell! In a conquest for the ages, Godzilla will storm through the gates of hell, proving that the towering behemoth is still King Of The Monsters!

With no warning and no sign of salvation Godzilla will find itself plummeting to the deepest darkest bowels of hell. The mystery of what led to Godzilla’s damnation, and what it will face will take readers on a dark and twisted journey unlike any Godzilla story before!

A rotating creative team will each take Godzilla through a new and more dangerous layer of Hell beginning with none other than writer and artist James Stokoe, who is returning to the character for the first time since his stunning and haunting mini-series Godzilla: The Half Century War.

“Drawing Godzilla must be my comfort food, because it feels really great to come back and work on pages with IDW again,” said Stokoe. “Also, the list of amazing creators they’ve tapped for this series feels equally great as a reader, especially with the theme everyone gets to play with. You can’t get much bigger than Godzilla versus Hell!“

Successive issues in this 5-part series will feature talents familiar to the Godzilla franchise including the multi-talented writer/artists Bob Eggleton, and Dave Watcher. Watcher most recently wrapped up the apocalyptic take on Godzilla in Godzilla: Cataclysm.

New to the world of Godzilla will be writers Ulises Farinas, and Erick Freitas, together on issue #3 and Brandon Seifert, tackling issue #4; artist’s will be announced on these issues at a later time.

“I’m very proud with the level of quality we’ve brought to all of our Godzilla mini-series,” said editor Bobby Curnow. “Godzilla in Hell will prove no exception. It’s been incredibly fun seeing the creator’s imagination stretch to fully utilize this otherworldly premise.”

This explosive new series will join a number of other major debuts in July as part of the Five Featured Firsts program, which launches a brand new title each and every week in July. Additionally, the debut issue will feature an EC Comics homage variant cover by Godzilla: Rulers of Earth artist Jeff Zornow as part of EC Cover Month!

About IDW Publishing

IDW is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. Renowned for its diverse catalog of licensed and independent titles, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including: Hasbro’s The TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE and MY LITTLE PONY; Paramount’s Star Trek; Nickelodeon’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; 2000AD’s Judge Dredd; The Rocketeer; Toho’s Godzilla; Wizards of the Coast’s Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons; V-Wars from New York Times best-selling author Jonathan Maberry; Ragnarök from Eisner Award-winner Walter Simonson; Winterworld, created by Chuck Dixon and Jorge Zaffino; and Little Nemo from the award-winning duo of Eric Shanower and Gabriel Rodriguez. IDW is also home to the Library of American Comics imprint, which publishes classic comic reprints, Yoe! Books, a partnership with Yoe! Studio, and the multiple award-winning Artist’s Edition imprint.

IDW’s critically- and fan-acclaimed series are continually moving into new mediums. Currently, Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Disney are creating a feature film based on World War Robot; Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Warner Brothers are producing a film based on Ashley Wood’s Lore; Michael Bay‘s Platinum Dunes and Sony are bringing Zombies vs. Robots to film, Kurtzman/Orci are producing a movie based on Locke & Key at Universal.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Holy poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think that's the fastest I've ever been sold on a comic concept.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love the simple directness of that cover. "It's called Godzilla in Hell, here's a big picture of Godzilla in Hell if that wasn't clear enough. You gonna buy me or what?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
loving gently caress. I really need to read IDW's Godzilla.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
"Is King Ghidorah in hell too?"

"Are you loving kidding me? He's on the cover too and he's teamed up with the Devil."

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

What if Ghidorah is the new Cerebus

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hup posted:

What if Ghidorah is the new Cerebus

I don't think kaiju have any strong feelings about the female void.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think kaiju have any strong feelings about the female void.

Godzilla becoming a Pope would also be a rad story.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

fatherboxx posted:

Godzilla becoming a Pope would also be a rad story.

That won't happen until the year 3000

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Speaking of Godzilla comics, did anyone here read Godzilla: Cataclysm, and if so was it any good?

Post-apocalyptic stories and Godzilla are both things I'm fond of, so I was curious if it was worth picking up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lando Calrissian from Charles Soule and Alex Maleev. Yes please.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/16/marvel-launches-lando-calrissian-comic-for-star-wars-line-from-soule-and-maleev/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please trigger warning that link

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If anyone here likes Terminator and is okay with licensed tie in comics, the "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" series just released volume 2 and its super cool. Best Terminator comics in a good while.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

From Comics&Cola, Mike Mignola and Dave Gibbons' Alien: Salvation is back in print. Good news for anyone like me who loves Hellboy, but has a fondess for Mignola's pre-Hellboy art style.

Xenomrph posted:

If anyone here likes Terminator and is okay with licensed tie in comics, the "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" series just released volume 2 and its super cool. Best Terminator comics in a good while.

You guys must be hard-up if a JMS comic is the best in a good while. :smaug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lightning Lord posted:

From Comics&Cola, Mike Mignola and Dave Gibbons' Alien: Salvation is back in print. Good news for anyone like me who loves Hellboy, but has a fondess for Mignola's pre-Hellboy art style.

You guys must be hard-up if a JMS comic is the best in a good while. :smaug:
Terminator comics don't come out as often as, say, Star Wars comics or whatever.

Also I don't read a whole lot of JMS and I understand his writing can be hit-or-miss or whatever, but his Terminator series was legit cool.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

That was good fun, it feels like there has been more than that over the years but I guess most of the Robocop comics to be produced really are modern releases.

A few things I'd like to add as someone who turns out, has also read through all the Robocop. Your article makes mention of it but at this point it seems like 90% of the Robocop comics are variations on covering the Millwr Robocop 2&3. Last few times a new series starts its like "oh, this again huh? Wonder what the twist is this time? Oh Anne's been dead for 3 issues huh? Well, that was a twist."
Which brings me to my least favorite thing about Robocop comics, let's all kill Lewis! All the time! What's this dumb lady doing hanging around our badass robot protagonist, gently caress that poo poo, murder her useless rear end. What's better than having someone for Robocop to dialogue with? Constant mental soliloquy! We killed all his friends so here's another 30 pages of Robocop thinking to himself in his head!

You're spot on with the Nu-Robocop stuff, Beta was a neat story and I have literally forgotten the rest they were so lame except the one that was the laziest story on the planet, you see guys it's about a rich man trafficking children, but he's rich you see so no one can touch him, yes this is a totally original story I made up on my own, do not steal! And then at the end since Nu-Robocop's hands are tied by law stuff a trafficked child shoots the bad man, who woulda seen that poo poo coming? Everyone? Oh.

I know there's more Robocop related thoughts bouncing around in my brain, and one day I'll actually read that big pile of Now Terminator comics I got for a dollar a few years ago. So that's all I got at the moment.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD – MAD MAX # 1

Written by GEORGE MILLER, NICO LATHOURIS and MARK SEXTON
Art by MARK SEXTON
Cover by TOMMY LEE EDWARDS
On sale JULY 8 • 40 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $4.99 US • MATURE READERS

Max. The warrior Max. Haunted by his past and fated to wander the brutal Wasteland in search of his better self. To do so, Max Rockatansky enters Gastown, the only source of guzzoline for thousands of miles. Here he finds the final piece that he needs to rebuild his Interceptor – the powerful Boss 351 engine. But in order to acquire the fabled V8 in a world where car parts are worth more than a man’s life, Max must survive a gladiatorial battle in a place called…Thunderdome Plus!
From the mind of George Miller, the creator of the Mad Max trilogy, the prelude series to the upcoming film Mad Max: Fury Road continues in its penultimate issue!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, thread is now about glamour, glitter, fashion and fame, and truly, truly outrageous.

In other words, Jem #2 was out this week and was pretty great, though I kind of wish they didn't include elements like Kimber's sexuality and Roxy's illiteracy in the bios (I think the latter may be from the show, to be fair), and just let it come out from the story. It's not like anything's really gained, and it'd allow a pleasant surprise from moments like Kimber hitting on Stormer at the album signing. I appreciated the touch of having the girls running a music program at the orphanage/youth centre, and the whole 'play at the fund-raiser' idea is right out of the cartoon, and is probably leading to the classic 'do we play at the battle of the bands, or at our charity show?' conflict.

And Sophie Campbell is just killing it on art. Was her work on Turtles this good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I skipped the bios and just went right in so it was a nice surprise. :3:

• Locked thread