Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

IDW has been publishing G.I.Joe comics for the last several years, which for the most part, have been pretty entertaining (especially its various "Cobra" series). Over the summer the storyline came to end and they relaunched it with a new number one.

Written by Karen Traviss, formerly of Star Wars "fame".

Three issues in and it's pretty bad.

G.I. Joe, while soldiers, have always been portrayed as basically a counter measures forces. If Cobra, or any one else threatens, the Joes are sent to deal with it.

Traviss' first arc is the Joes being sent in as assassins. Kind of leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Gavok posted:

The series trails off for a while and just kind of ends. The follow-up Terminator: The Burning Earth is a completely different comic. It's more fondly remembered not only because it actually FEELS like a Terminator story, but it's the first published comic with Alex Ross art. Gone is all the camp and instead you have five issues of the resistance trying to shut down SkyNet once and for all.

That' the one where Ross worked "Now Comix Sucks" on the cover, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gavok posted:

The Marvel RoboCop series is interesting. It's basically split into two halves with a fill-in in-between. First you have Alan Grant writing it where it's mostly decent, but really feels like RoboCop shoved into your average early 90's Marvel comic. It's way too futuristic for what the movie established, constantly featuring flying motorcycles, flying cars, cloned dinosaurs, wise-cracking sailor robots, etc. If anything, it's worth checking out for a two-issue story about people dressing up as superheroes and becoming vigilantes which reads like a less gross Garth Ennis comic.

Then Simon Furman takes over and it becomes really good. I really wish they just had him write the second and third movie instead because his poo poo was way better. His first arc especially would have made for a good basis of RoboCop 2 where OCP is so interested in following up on RoboCop's success that instead of "let's make a serial killer a RoboCop because no way will that blow up in our face" they cut corners and kidnap people off the street, lobotomize them and try to make a secret army of RoboCops.

Wasn't the Marvel comic based on the Saturday morning cartoon?

(and I'm totally serious for those who don't know. Robocop had a Saturday morning cartoon.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, was the Karen Traviss GI Joe comic where Cobra are the real heroes as bad as I would assume a comic with that concept and author would be?

Yes.
Yes it was.

It wasn't that Cobra were the heroes of her books. She didn't seem to spend too much with them, instead focusing on a rebel group in a small country that had been invaded by Cobra, it was that she decided that instead of having the Joes in their traditional role of "elite commando rescue force", she instead had them as black ops assassins, killing leaders of foreign countries.

• Locked thread