Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaz-L posted:

Can someone explain how the licensing agreements work regarding stuff published under prior contracts? Like, IDW does reprints of Marvel's old Transformers and GI Joe books, and of old DC and Gold Key Star Trek books. How is that handled/allowed? Are the comics treated as work-for-hire, so the licensor owns them, not the publisher?

Basically. The only things the publisher owns the rights to are things the publisher creates. This is what fucks up any chance of more ROM comics from anyone: ROM the character is owned by Hasbro, who's trying to stick with IDW. Literally everything else from that comic, and thus what people actually want from a new book/reprints, is owned by Marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

it's Friday the 13th and I volunteered to read every Friday the 13th comic. Hoo boy.

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash 2 is the worst, guys.

I told you this years ago and you didn't listen. You should listen to me more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Micronauts - writer Cullen Bunn

gently caress YOU

FUCKIN

WHY

WHY DO YOU NOT WANT ME TO READ YOUR COMIC IDW I THINK IM ONE OF THE EIGHT PEOPLE WHO REMEMBER MICRONAUTS THAT AREN'T CULLEN BUNN OR DAN ABNETT WHY WOULD YOU GIVE IT TO NOTED BAD COMICS WRITER CULLEN BUNN

gently caress YOU IDW

i would punch a baby to read dan abnett's micronauts but NO you give it to the guy who writes bad deadpool minis and manages to make "magic six shooters in the old west that can summon the apocalypse" boring, you fucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Bunn on the other hand has written a lot of good stuff in the last few years.

maybe if you don't speak english and are inventing the stories whole cloth from the pictures like i used to do with tokusatsu that hadn't been subtitled yet but remidner that he did half of that minimum carnage bullshit, which used the prometheus pit from micronauts and the microverse and some other poo poo, and it was unreadable garbage

also all the deadpool minis are bad

at the very best, he's aggressively mediocre (magneto, sixth gun)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
plus a ghost helps dan abnett write books, and he loves mantlo's poo poo, that's two great tastes right there

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
his moon knight is butts, his deadpool got worse as it went on (Kills the MU was the high point and it still wasn't very good), and sixth gun manages to be criminally boring despite being a book about magic six shooters that can usher in the apocalypse in the old west

that should not be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i mean

i also dont think people whose names aren't bill mantlo should be writing those books at all because i think his insanely purple prose is what really made them work

• Locked thread