Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can someone explain how the licensing agreements work regarding stuff published under prior contracts? Like, IDW does reprints of Marvel's old Transformers and GI Joe books, and of old DC and Gold Key Star Trek books. How is that handled/allowed? Are the comics treated as work-for-hire, so the licensor owns them, not the publisher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I saw the first issue of the new run has Teela as a snake-witch, and He-Man and She-Ra are leading the Rebel Alliance or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm looking forward to the new Jem and the Holograms comic because basically I'll buy anything Ross Campbell is drawing

What happened to the Holograms? Did Jem fire them so the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe could be her band?

(:ssh: I'm probably buying it too)

Edit: YOU SAW NOTHING. NO TYPOS HERE.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LateToTheParty posted:

Any other recommendations with Transformers comics since IDW has like a hundred Transformers comic series.

The Classics trades are reprints of the old Marvel books, which are fun for nostalgia's sake. And I got the first trade of their big relaunch of the brand as just The Transformers, which is pretty neat, as it's set after the end of the war, but a bunch of the characters are still stuck on Earth dealing with the fallout.

They're also apparently adding another ongoing soon, a Windblade solo book, which could be fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Question: Where does Red Sonja fall in this discussion? Like, I'd be pretty sure Conan belongs in here, but Sonja's technically a comic book character through-and-through, created by Roy Thomas and everything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red Sonja is a 1985 Dutch-American sword and sorcery action film directed by Richard Fleis- Wait, wrong medium.

Red Sonja is pretty much the quintessential sword-and-sorcery heroine in comics. Ostensibly created by Robert Howard in a short story unrelated to his more famous Conan works, Sonja as we know her was actually created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith for Marvel's Conan The Barbarian series in 1973. (The Howard story was about a Renaissence gun-wielding pirate type. Thomas took that concept, smooshed it with another Howard character, a French swordswoman, and plopped the result into Conan's world.)

Her origin story is.... problematic. As a teenager, her village in Hyrkania is sacked by mercenaries/bandits, her friends and family murdered in front of her, and when she tries to fight back, is too weak to lift her brother's sword and gets raped for her trouble. She cries to the heavens to grant her vengeance, and a goddess answers by giving her great strength and fighting prowess, with the caveat that if she has sex with a man who has not defeated her in honourable combat, she will lose those gifts.

Yeah.

And so began guest appearances in Conan, her own book from Marvel that ran for 30+ issues across multiple volumes in the 70s and 80s, a movie (hey, see, it was relevant) in '85, and a handful of prose novels. Eventually the rights moved from Marvel to other publishers, until it finally landed at Dynamite in 2005, launching a million mini-series, crossovers, and three ongoing books, two of which ran in parallel.

Red Sonja: She-Devil With A Sword was originally written by Mike Avon Oeming and drawn by Stephen Sadowski. It ran for 80 issues, and is particularly notable for (mid-series spoiler) killing Sonja off about halfway through the run and making it a legacy, with a new woman, a distant cousin of the original, taking up the mantle.. It ran for 81 issues with multiple creative teams.

It also had a bunch of Greg Land pin-up covers. :geno:

Queen Sonja is... kinda what it says on the tin from what I can tell. (I have read none of this one) It's about Sonja becoming QUEEN, BY HER OWN HAND [/Mako]. Original creative team was Josh Ortega and Mel Rubi. It ran for 35 issues and was going at the same time as the main Sonja title until 2013, when both books were replaced by...

Red Sonja, currently ongoing, by Gail Simone (writing) and Walter Geovani (pencils). This is pretty much a complete reboot, abandoning the rape and goddess origin for a more low-fantasy beginning, with Sonja's village once again being sacked, but instead, she escapes her captors and hunts them down the way her father taught her to hunt deer, before eventually being found and caught, feral in the woods, by a creepy as gently caress toad-man who makes her into a gladiator and only threatens to rape her which... is better, I guess? Anyway, she becomes a badass warrior from fighting in the forest and in the arena, and eventually only she and one other woman are left, due to fight to the death the next day, but WAIT! The ruler of the city the arena is in was at war with another king, who frees Sonja and her companion from the arena as he liberates the city, and so begins her adventuring career.

I'll be honest, this is the book that made me want to write this post.

I know Simone is not popular in BSS, and her tone does lend a certain Xena-ness to proceedings, but it really works. The ditching of the goddess stuff means she's able to write Sonja as, well, a female Conan. She likes to drink, gently caress and fight, in roughly that order. The second arc literally has Sonja being horny as hell as a subplot (the running gag being that she's been putting off bathing, and as such can't get laid, thought there's usually other reasons why she gets rejected too.). This may have been the longest lead-up to the joke in #10, where Sonja remarks to the world's greatest swordsman, who she's just propositioned and been told no by, that not being able to have sex until you've been defeated in combat (his reason for turning her down, as she hasn't beaten him), is "the stupidest thing I've ever heard".

Two other neat things about this book. One: All the cover art is by women. Main covers by Jenny Frison, and variants by people as varied as Ming Doyle, Amanda Conner, Stephanie Buscema and Becky Cloonan. And two, while they're canny enough to not ditch the metal bikini look entirely, Simone and Geovani do take a lot of opportunities to mix up the main character's look. Which makes sense, as...

The famous 'mail bikini' outfit is actually not the original design for the character.

This is how she looked in her first appearance. The more famous look came from Esteban Maroto, who sent in what was basically fan-art of her in that outfit, to Roy Thomas, early in the character's existence. It stuck.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Crossposting in the Indie thread:

Link.

"Dynamite has announced a new big event series from Gail Simone and Sergio Davila, Swords of Sorrow. Crossing over between many of their female characters, the series will lead into a series of tie-in stories written by some of the most talented women in the business, including Marguerite Bennett, Leah Moore, Mairghread Scott, Emma Beeby, Mikki Kendall, Nancy Collins, and G. Willow Wilson."

I'm always fascinated when Dynamite try to do one of these crossovers, because they're not like Marvel, DC, Top Cow or Valiant, that usually do this stuff, because all their books take place in one contiguous (if weird) world. Dynamite has to really stretch to do this with even two of their properties, normally. (Or work with another publisher, like on their Django and Conan crossovers recently) This is doing it with a fuckton, ranging from John Carter to Red Sonja (makes some sense) to Jungle Girl (OK?) to Green Hornet and Vampirella (...what?).

It's also kinda interesting to see them trying to broach this gap between audiences, with the recent relaunch of Sonja and Vampirella with female writers, trying to balance the more cheesecake-y exploitation (and I mean this in the exploitation genre meaning, as much as the more general sense) with women characters showing real agency and not just as tits for nerds to ogle. Not saying they succeed all or even much of the time, but it's a curious way of trying to claw some relevancy.

(I posted the variant cover mostly because I think it looks cool.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've spent the last few weeks at work reading a crap ton of Red Sonja, Conan and Star Wars comics. (Work's been hella slow at times). I got all the way through Dark Horse's first volume of reprints of Savage Sword comics for Conan. Which includes some awesome stories, like Red Nails, Frost Giant's Daughter, A Witch Shall Be Born, the part of the Howard novel where he retakes Aquilonia, and at least 3 separate occasions where Conan fights a dinosaur. Plus you get some sweet Roy Thomas/Robert Howard purple prose, and awesome Barry Windsor-Smith art. All for super-cheap, and unlike the Showcase Presents/Marvel Essentials type reprints, these were already b/w comics, so you're not missing anything.

(Volume 2 opens with Conan meeting aliens. Not kidding.)

Simone's current arc on Red Sonja is pretty great, and is much stronger than Oeming's slightly silly "RELIGION BAD!" tack from the early part of the Dynamite run. Currently, Sonja has been cursed by an evil wizard so she lacks the empathy and capacity to forgive. Any slight, no matter how trivial, and she is compelled to react with murderous vengeance. It sounds kinda funny, and the first instance is played blackly comic to begin with, but it's quickly made clear that this is a BIG problem, and it even manages to tie into a broader theme, when Sonja finds a survivor of the crew that murdered her family and he's truly remorseful and has sought redemption. I can see it going multiple ways, which isn't something you can often say about adventure stories of this ilk. Walter Geovani's art continues to rock, he's got a good knack for body language and faces, and manages to make Sonja sexy, without making her feel like an object posing for the reader, nor robbing her of the intimidation factor. She looks like a lady that lives up to the "I'm Red Sonja, I'm everyone's type!" billing, while also seeming believably tough. A lot of artists would make her a lot slimmer built than Geovani, which is a big plus.

The Star Wars stuff has been the old X-Wing books, which are kinda crazy in how murder-happy Luke is, and how little the books seem to care about introducing anyone. Like, there's a lady with the bionic head thing that Lobot has in Empire, and a Sullustan, and I have no clue where they come from or who they are. I only know the other main Rogues because I read the novels in high school (which spoiled a big-ish twist, I think, in an early issue.) Art is also pretty rough at some points, trying to skirt that line between actor likeness and a looser, more cartoony style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, this category was most of my subscription list in Comixology this week:

Red Sonja #15: Wrapped up the curse story a lot more tritely than I was hoping. I think the extra delay because of the #100 special might have made this worse because of the increased expectation I was able to generate for myself. After all the potential of Sonja having to deal with the looming threat of basically turning into a violent, mouth-foaming psychopath if someone bumps into her on the street, she (to be fair, sensibly) cripples her ability to to fight so she can't be a danger to anyone, and then just overcomes the curse due to the power of... um... people not being douchebags? I think Simone was going for a "Yay, human decency!" thing, but it was kinda weak. Sonja's new pyromancer sidekick getting Dumbo'ed into getting his powers back was pretty nice, though.

Django/Zorro #5: gently caress yes this book has been a ton of fun and this month's issue has a big ol' flashback to the movie's timeframe, which resulted in me reading every single line by Dr Schultz aloud in my awful Christoph Waltz impression. My only issue is that Wagner and Tarrantino haven't quite made the comic's villain as memorably entertaining yet hateable as Leo DiCaprio was in the film, nor a henchman as purely loathsome as Sam Jackson was.

Jem & The Holograms #1: A ton of fun, and Sophie Campbell KILLS on art duties, aided by a colourist that knows her stuff and chooses a striking pallet to sell the aesthetic of the series. My only real problem was the intro of Synergy. I think just having her appear is a trifle lazy, and having Jerrica actually puzzle out some clue their dad left would've been much cooler, but otherwise, the book does exactly what it needs to, establishes the four leads, one key relationship, and our heroine's core inner conflict in such a way that it excites the reader for the potential going forward, and I am, so good job!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hup posted:

What if Ghidorah is the new Cerebus

I don't think kaiju have any strong feelings about the female void.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, thread is now about glamour, glitter, fashion and fame, and truly, truly outrageous.

In other words, Jem #2 was out this week and was pretty great, though I kind of wish they didn't include elements like Kimber's sexuality and Roxy's illiteracy in the bios (I think the latter may be from the show, to be fair), and just let it come out from the story. It's not like anything's really gained, and it'd allow a pleasant surprise from moments like Kimber hitting on Stormer at the album signing. I appreciated the touch of having the girls running a music program at the orphanage/youth centre, and the whole 'play at the fund-raiser' idea is right out of the cartoon, and is probably leading to the classic 'do we play at the battle of the bands, or at our charity show?' conflict.

And Sophie Campbell is just killing it on art. Was her work on Turtles this good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Jem was pretty good, hopefully they'll be able to keep it up. Campbell's characters look great, but the backgrounds can be pretty empty--sometimes even a wide shot will just show a couple of characters and nothing else. I hope they'll do something interesting with the dual identity, which never made much sense.

They've already done more than the show. Jerrica uses Jem to hide so she can sing without her stage fright getting the best of her, and she can't be open about it because that destroys the reason it works for her. If Jem is her, then it's no better than standing up there with no hologram.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I posted about it in this thread a few months back, so I suppose I should check in again now that Swords of Sorrow has actually started. There's a #1 and a one-shot about the villains so far, and the latter is probably the stronger of the two, mostly because the main book's first issue has the problem of all first issues, plus the usual early days of a crossover event problem. Basically pages of exposition AND needing to introduce a huge cast to an audience that may not be familiar with any of them, let alone all.

Mairghread Scott has an easier task in just having basically 3 'bad girls' to introduce, and seems to have taken the fact that she either doesn't know much about the villain for the event itself, or that Simone wanted to save details for later reveals as a plus, instead of a detriment. When your Big Bad is a cypher, you can spend longer on the cronies. The whole 'pulp feminism' feel is added to with the slight exploitation-y camp of the art.

The main book is, like I said, an event book's intro, through and through. Ironically, Simone may have missed a trick in trying to give the 'main' heroines their own individual focus moments, as the standout scene for me was the fight/chase between Jennifer Blood and Kato (Kato being the one woman with a male counterpart who's given a logical reason for not appearing - The Hornet is incapacitated with injuries at the time of the story. Compare John Carter who... Dejah Thoris just kinda doesn't want to tell about what's happening?), which is instantly compelling and uses the contrast to introduce both characters even if you don't know who they are: Kato's an urban superhero, and Blood's a wiseass lady Punisher. By comparison, Red Sonja dying of thirst in the desert and Dejah Thoris listening to pleas from her subjects is kind of blah, because we don't get any context, and there's not much action to justify how little information about the characters we're given.

Look, I'm not going to lie, the gals in this book are not exactly wearing outfits from the new wave of comic book costume design for women, but the artists on both issues embrace that aspect without letting it slide into being overtly sleazy (barring the bad choice of J Scott Campbell as the cover artist for your female creator focused event series). It's acknowledging the fun and even the sexy side of this part of comics and literature while trying to ditch the baggage of the male gaze (mostly). It's not going to be for everyone, but I'm already more invested in this than Convergence/Divergence... or Secret Wars*.

*I'm sure Secret Wars will get better, and that scene with the Punisher was great, but either that should've been the FCBD issue, or it should have been #2, because good god is it not helpful to someone jumping in because of the hype without having the time to go back and read years of Fantastic Four and Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, Mairghread Scott, she's good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"The war is over/the future is prevented... OR IS IT?!"

That's how pretty much all the movies/TV series end, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gallant: Dark Horse are doing more Avatar comics, this time from the show's creators instead of Gene Yang.

Goofus: Red 5 are doing a Keyser Soze comic, because apparently they don't understand why The Usual Suspects works?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How long before Ryu and Snake Eyes throw down to find out who the truly strongest warrior is?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chris Ryall: "And then, we open on Galador-"
IDW Employee: "Um, we can't use Galador"
CR: "All right, then we open on ROM chasing a Dire Wraith-"
IDW: "Ahem..." *makes throat slit motion*
CR: "OK, ROM and Starshin-"
IDW: "Nope"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Supposedly its always been Hasbro holding anything ROM related back. Even though they have absolutely nothing to do with the character really.

Anyway, ROM doesn't have to be connected to the Marvel universe to be good. The best parts of his story was when he was in his own little corner.

Yes. His own little corner of the Marvel U. That's kinda the problem. ALL of the backstory stuff that isn't actually ROM himself, is all Marvel, because Parker Bros didn't have it invented, Bill Mantlo did, for Marvel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Without Marvel there is no Galador, no Firefall, no Starshine, no Terminator (before Arnold was even a thing), no Clairton West Virginia, no Brandy Clark, no Steve Jackson (not that one), no Brock Jones, no Dire Wraiths, and no Hybrid. It's ROM without any of the things that made that book what it was, other than the titular character. Even then, it's just the armor. I don't know if the license even includes the guy that was inside it.

It doesn't. He showed up to Rick Jones' wedding.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Including in the ROM book itself, I believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghost Boner posted:

what's the chance of IDW reprinting the original ROM series? Slim? It's slim, right? I've never read it and I'm super interested in reading it because I hear nothing but universal praise for it.

I know they've been reprinting Marvel-branded Transformers comics, but I imagine those don't feature Marvel properties.

The Transformers comics DID, but IDW can't reprint those issues, so instead you get summaries, I believe.

ROM's harder because it's so intrinsically tied to the MU. The various alien races, Galactus, the Avengers, the X-Men, Rick Jones are all pretty major players. Any reprint project would need Marvel's direct involvement, if not being published by them explicitly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing IDW/Ryall are hoping they can just change a couple of colour schemes and swap some vowels around and Marvel/Disney won't care enough to sue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You say this like Chris Ryall doesn't have 10 years of ROM already written.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Power Rangers and Red Sonja were both pretty fun this week. It's a little jarring that the writing for the MMPR book is light-years ahead of the actual show, dialogue and characterisation-wise, but the art for all 3 stories was good, and the cover is gorgeous.
Sonja felt a little padded, what with the various dream/fantasy pages (at least one of which I swear was just an excuse for Bennet to write: QUEEN SONJA lounges on her throne, debauchery and carnal revels all about her; and let Aneke go wild in the best old-school Savage Sword tradition.) but the plot set-up is sound, if a little unusual to see our heroine so loyal to a King that didn't even seem to exist in the last run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Thompson and Campbell are actually pulling it off... a story arc featuring EVIL JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS and a sympathetic Misfits where Pizzazz is actually probably the one you feel most for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

She's back doing the art? To be honest I dropped the book when she left.

She didn't leave, she's just one of those artists that can't really do a monthly schedule, so I think she's doing a few issues, then a break to let her build a backlog, with guest artists doing the issues during the break.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jem Update: Still rockin', and this might be the first arc that feels like a direct riff on the cartoon, because we have a wacky evil plot by the villains, and the heroines being super sweet and supportive and power-of-sisterhood-y... it's just that the usual roles are reversed. I feel like Blaze's reveal might've been a little too idealised... it might've been better drama to have at least someone be a little uncomfortable. Not necessarily outright bigoted, but needing an issue or two to work out their own internalised preconceptions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

It was a bad issue because there was only one brief scene with Pizzazz, who is far and away the best character. In fact, kill off Jem and co in a bizarre tour bus accident and focus entirely on Pizzazz and Stormer. :colbert:

Pizz's whole crisis is probably the best part of the arc because they're not spelling it out that she's depressed because she doesn't feel like she's worth anything if she can't sing, especially not if her friends and the label think she's replaceable with some chick off the street. I mean it's not subtle, but it's not being directly called out in the text.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... IDW are going all in with Hasbro on their attempt to milk all their 80s properties and are making a MASK book.

I'm almost definitely down for this, but I'm chomping at the bit for them to announce Visionaries, cuz that toyline and cartoon was my JAM as a kid. I can still recite most of the verses the characters used to summon their special powers from the cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

When will I get Inhumanoids then dammit? It's powered armored scientists versus Cthulhu. Why it's not more beloved I won't ever know.

Probably not soon, partly because of possible Marvel confusion, but more because it's not part of the proposed non-Transformers Hasbro-verse, which is gonna be GI Joe, MASK (these two make so much sense that the main character from MASK was even released as a GI Joe doll), ROM, Micronauts and Visionaries. Visionaries being the only one IDW doesn't have a comic out or publicly announced as in the pipeline yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

So, tomorrow is FCB day, right? That means it'll be our first look at IDW's ROM. Are FCBs available on comixology, or are they a brick and mortar only thing?

Going by the last couple years, they will be up on Comixology, but probably not for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. I believe because the idea behind FCBD is to get people in the doors of stores, forgetting that, oh, some of us work on Saturdays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there any specific impediment to IDW and Marvel co-publishing ROM reprints? Or is it just that splitting the profits on the project wouldn't be worth it to either party?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
WHERES VISIONARIES HASBLOW?!

*ahem* Sorry... I just really like that toyline/cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Going from the preview that I skimmed from the back of the new Pink Power Ranger mini, it's more the former, with a kind of James Bond with laser guns thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Penelope Pitstop reads like the Pam Anderson version of Barb Wire.

The cars having AIs that talk is cute, but the stuff with the humans is just exactly the worst kind of adolescent posturing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The hotel level of the game is amazing and has some fantastic one liners

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Lemme guess... until it was implicitly cancelled because WWE signed a deal with BOOM?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

It was released as a graphic novel, so the story is finished. Though it does end with a message saying that it's the last Papercutz WWE book and then showing a couple inked pages of what the next volume would have been. Namely a sequel to the WWE noir storyline, but with Roman Reigns and Sting fighting crime.

Hmmm, the conundrum of if they'd let Roman turn on Sting, thus being the bad guy, even in a comic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the current TV Turtles, whereas I think the last one was the comic versions of both, right?

• Locked thread