Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011
I've been recently surprised by the fact that a Galaxy Quest comic exists - the movie was a fun affectionate parody of Star Trek, but I'm rather surprised that someone estimated that there's a market for this and went ahead with it.

Or is it simply possible to really want a comic to exist based on something that seems interesting to enough people, pitch it to a publisher, and then go from there?
It does seem more viable thanks to digital distribution, but I have no idea how comics based on relatively obscure properties usually come to be.

Another example is the MilleniuM comic, based on that Chris Carter series that shares a setting with the X-Files - I liked the show, bu wouldn't expect it to come up again in a different media.

As for more famous stuff, for the most part I enjoyed the Udon Street Fighter comics, at least the early ones, which did som clever things to reference as much obscure and spinoff canon as possible (agent Shadow as a reference to the secret character in the Marvel crossovers was something of a surprise, that still fit). By the time the story reached the actual Street Fighter 2 events, something about it just felt unfamiliar and off (like a battle against multiple characters based on Kung-Fu Panda...).
I keep buying those because if an SF comic doesn't sell, a decent King of Fighters comic has no chance, and I'd really like that to exist.

Recently I also found that the latest Sonic comics have managed to toss in references to Segata Sanshiro and Fighting Vipers while covering Sonic the Fighters events, so that was kind of neat - I'm more of a general Sega fan than specifically a Sonic one, so I'm glad Ian Flynn manages to sneak in that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread