Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here are the creative teams for Rom and Micronauts from IDW

Rom - writers Chris Ryall (shocked!) and Christos Gage, artists David Messina and Paolo Villanelli
Micronauts - writer Cullen Bunn, artist David Baldeon

I wonder what this means for Onyx and String Divers which are IDW's not so sublte Rom and Micronauts ripoffs that Ryall is writing now. I've not checked out either but I've heard they're actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Abnett has been pretty terrible lately, though Hercules #1 was promising. Bunn on the other hand has written a lot of good stuff in the last few years. I'd be much more likely to read a title with Bunn on the cover than Abnett right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I agree that most of the Deadpool minis were bad because it took him a long time to get a handle on the character (The Night of the Living Deadpool one was good) but he writes plenty of good stuff. Hellbreak, Harrow County, Sixth Gun, and the first issue of Blood Feud was quite good. Also his Moon Knight run was great. Abnett on the other hand really let me down with his terrible Guardians 3000 and his Secret Wars tie in was among the worst of the bunch.

I never read any of his Carnage stuff, because Carnage is terrible regardless.

EDIT: Oh God I didn't even mention Bunn's Magneto which is a fantastic series.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Literally The Worst posted:

his moon knight is butts, his deadpool got worse as it went on (Kills the MU was the high point and it still wasn't very good), and sixth gun manages to be criminally boring despite being a book about magic six shooters that can usher in the apocalypse in the old west

that should not be possible

Agree to completely disagree then. His Magneto alone is better than anything I've seen out of Abnett since his name was followed by Lanning.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Literally The Worst posted:

i mean

i also dont think people whose names aren't bill mantlo should be writing those books at all because i think his insanely purple prose is what really made them work

I think there's probably another bald writer attached to Micronauts that's more deserving of all our worry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Transformers vs G.I. Joe vs Rom vs Micronauts vs M.A.S.K. vs Action Man from IDW in September. I'm sure this won't be a total clusterfuck.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Action Man just restarted.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently the big crossover above isn't just a big crossover. It's an event that will end with all of those comics being set in the same universe going forward. So IDW will officially have a Hasbro shared universe of their own.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/declassifying-idw-hasbros-world-merging-revolution

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

So, Ghostbusters comics. How terrible are they, on a scale of 1 to How Bad I Assume They Are?

The stuff by Burnham/Schoening is actually really good. It's the other stuff like Legion, Displaced Agression, or The Other Side that's bad. The two ongoings, Get Real, and International are very much worth reading.

Basically if has Erik Burnham's name on it I'd read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was probably the 88MPH series Legion, and at the time it was good if only because it was literally the only new Ghostbusters content in years. It was set between the two movies. It's definitely not part of the storyline now and is considered to be pretty bad compared to the current stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So did I before I knew any better! It was a refreshing drop of water in a vast desert for Ghostbusters fans at the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when Get Real came out, as I love that sort of thing, a la Turtles Forever, and I had no idea this one was even happening. I was even more surprised, though, when they cameoed the Filmation Ghostbusters. I had no clue they even had the rights to that!

Oh they don't have the rights. That's why they were removed in the trade.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan but not really much of a gamer so I never played it. I just read a synopsis of the events and was fine.

Also I forgot to mention the recent Ghostbusters Deviations one shot by Kelly Thompson. It's really good as well and requires no knowledge of anything other than the first film. It's a What If/Elsworlds style book where the Ghostbusters never crossed the streams and Gozer as Stay-Puft rules over New York. Gozer is not a fan of the Stay-Puft form though and eventually asks the Ghostbusters to help it return to its home dimension.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hello Licensed Thread. I'm hoping one of you is familiar enough with the properties of the upcoming IDW Revolution titles that you can make an all encompassing thread for all the titles involved. I know there's a Transformers thread so I guess it would only touch on the books that crossover there but something that covers Action Man, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, and Rom would be good. Maybe just an overview/intro to those titles and a little bit on Transformers. I think now that it's a shared universe of titles it could use its own thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Micronauts and Action Man are very good and Rom is pretty good so far. I'm not reading the Transformers stuff but I really dig the rest of the IDW Hasbroverse. I'm planning on making a thread sometime this week for all those books. I want to get MASK in first though.

Action Man especially has really caught me by surprise. I love that book so far.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that like the "British GI Joe" Action Man who had bad guys like Dr X and Professor Gangrene?

Yes. Spoiler: Action Man dies five pages into the first issue.

• Locked thread