Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

South Town guy posted:

Or is it simply possible to really want a comic to exist based on something that seems interesting to enough people, pitch it to a publisher, and then go from there?
It does seem more viable thanks to digital distribution, but I have no idea how comics based on relatively obscure properties usually come to be.

I wonder if on some level it's an inversion of the trend of comics and characters potentially having more monetary value if they move beyond their print origins and into film/TV/merchandising.

If I was the producer of a cancelled TV show or a movie with seemingly no sequels or reboots in sight, or wanting to (re)build some hype and awareness, letting someone do a comic book version of it seems like it has the potential to show investors/studios that the property not only is still viable. You've also got all these ready-to-be-adapted stories you can mine from it if for film/TV production, too.

I'm not too well-versed on various issues of IP and Copyright/Trademark laws, but could maybe there be an issue of using things like comic book continuations and adaptations as a way of proving you, as owner of the IP, haven't abandoned trademarks, names, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread