Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh boy, licensed comics. I'm such a sucker for these. :kiddo:

I could talk about Aliens/Predator/AvP comics forever (although I actually haven't yet read the new Fire & Stone stuff that Dark Horse has been doing, but I'm working on that). I've also got every Terminator comic, and that's a franchise that has spanned a shitton of licensees over the years (since ownership of the Terminator franchise is a colossal clusterfuck).

Boom Studios has done a pair of very solid licensed series: Hellraiser and 28 Days Later. The art in both is pretty great, and they work well with the movies they're based on (the 28 Days Later ones bridge the two movies, the Hellraiser ones pick up from Hellraiser 3 and ignores everything else). It helps that the Hellraiser ones are at least in part written by Clive Barker, as well.

I'm a huge (HUGE) fan of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', but unfortunately the licensed comics for that are... hit or miss. The first 2-part arc had potential, and the art is great, but it misconstrues what the Thing creature could do pretty heavily and ultimately feels really truncated, and the whole story suffers from it.
The sequel series, "Climate of Fear", is a lot better and much more true to the ideas in the movie, although the art isn't that hot.
The last series they did, "Eternal Vows", is all over the drat place and really not very good. :sigh:

Edit-- I'm also a pretty big Red Sonja fan. I've really, really enjoyed the Dynamite revival of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If anyone here likes Terminator and is okay with licensed tie in comics, the "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" series just released volume 2 and its super cool. Best Terminator comics in a good while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lightning Lord posted:

From Comics&Cola, Mike Mignola and Dave Gibbons' Alien: Salvation is back in print. Good news for anyone like me who loves Hellboy, but has a fondess for Mignola's pre-Hellboy art style.

You guys must be hard-up if a JMS comic is the best in a good while. :smaug:
Terminator comics don't come out as often as, say, Star Wars comics or whatever.

Also I don't read a whole lot of JMS and I understand his writing can be hit-or-miss or whatever, but his Terminator series was legit cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Disproportionation posted:

it's worth mentioning that it treats the game as canon
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gaz-L posted:

The hotel level of the game is amazing and has some fantastic one liners

The whole game is pretty classy and it's as close to a Ghostbusters 3 that we'll ever get.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why Bill Murray was ok with doing the game and not a 3.

Doing voice over work where you basically play yourself is arguably less work than acting in a Hollywood production?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

She really is a one trick pony, isn't she?
She really is a hack, and I instantly lost all hope in Gears of War 3 being a satisfying conclusion to that trilogy once I learned she was writing it.

I still get a chuckle about her colossal Star Wars meltdown when the Clone Wars cartoon trolled the everloving poo poo out of her, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't she get fired/quit from her work on Halo in similar circumstances to her departure from Star Wars?
I have no idea, but that's ultra-hilarious if it's true. Can someone else confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gaz-L posted:

Traviss had a major lady-boner for the Mandalorians, Star Wars' mandatory NOBLE WARRIOR RACE, she wrote novel after novel about them, exploring their history and culture and making them the biggest badasses and showing how their warrior nature endured until the Empire's rise... Then Clone Wars showed that Mandalorians were in fact all pacifists who'd set aside war eons before. And Star Wars canon rules are that anything on screen trumps anything in print. If it's on a Lucasfilm TV show or movie, it's what mattters.
It wasn't just that, she shoehorned in her Mandalorian nonsense into otherwise unrelated books (such as multi-author collaborative series, totally derailing the series plots so she could jerk off the Mandalorians non-stop) and ruined Boba Fett as a character while she was at it.
Her books also never hesitated to badmouth the Jedi (again, derailing the plot to do so) and often depicting known Jedi characters as uncharacteristically incompetent or dickish in order to use them as strawmen for the Mandalorian characters to knock down.

And then yeah, the writers of the Clone Wars series thought her bullshit was really asinine and over the top, so they hinted that they were going to retcon the poo poo out of all of her Mandalorian fanwank in their cartoon, and she had a public meltdown on her blog (since deleted) about how the Mandalorians where HER characters and other writers couldn't just ruin her work, oblivious to the fact that:
1. They weren't her characters
2. She had trampled all over other peoples' work when writing her Mandalorian jerk-off material

She threatened to bail on her remaining Star Wars book contracts if the Clone Wars episodes aired, they aired as scheduled (and were quite good, for what they were), she had another public meltdown and bailed on her contracts and nothing of value was lost. She got blacklisted from contributing to Star Wars ever again, her remaining book got canceled, and at the end of the day all of her work got thrown in the trash anyway when the Star Wars EU got rebooted in the wake of The Force Awakens.

• Locked thread