Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Did someone shine the AoDsignal? Oh wait, this is about liscenced comics that AREN'T Rom: Spaceknight. Off I go! Though I guess TransformersUK, GI Joe, and Micronauts discussion could go here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gavok posted:

Here's my look at the history of RoboCop comics.

Almost 30 years, 5 publishers, over 100 issues. The best being Miller's Terminator crossover, Simon Furman's Marvel stuff and the current Boom Studios series.

A Simon Furman book about a robot is good? That's quite unsurprising, actually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I am morally obligated to post a link to an io9 blog post about ROM: Spaceknight. Yeah, it's a gawker media site, and the article is a bare bones intro for someone who's never heard of the character, aaaand it gets some of the details wrong, but still, I have to give up some love for it.

http://io9.com/rom-spaceknight-might-be-the-best-science-fiction-comi-1708849468

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FoneBone posted:

IDW is bringing back Micronauts and ROM, which baffles me given how much of what people liked about those is owned by Marvel.

I'm... hesitant.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

ROM's potential worth to Disney is probably nowhere near the value Hasbro probably placed on him. Hasbro likely wants to sell the movie rights, and try to pass him off as a Transformers meets Star Wars character.

But he's a Robocop meets Alien character.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Yes. His own little corner of the Marvel U. That's kinda the problem. ALL of the backstory stuff that isn't actually ROM himself, is all Marvel, because Parker Bros didn't have it invented, Bill Mantlo did, for Marvel.

Without Marvel there is no Galador, no Firefall, no Starshine, no Terminator (before Arnold was even a thing), no Clairton West Virginia, no Brandy Clark, no Steve Jackson (not that one), no Brock Jones, no Dire Wraiths, and no Hybrid. It's ROM without any of the things that made that book what it was, other than the titular character. Even then, it's just the armor. I don't know if the license even includes the guy that was inside it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It doesn't. He showed up to Rick Jones' wedding.

And in one of the Earth X sequels.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's right. The end of ROM has literally everyone on Galador dead except for now human ROM and Brandy Clark.

That's not quite right. A small number of the 1st gen spaceknights take off to guard Galador from space.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
edit; I am shamed.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 4, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So, tomorrow is FCB day, right? That means it'll be our first look at IDW's ROM. Are FCBs available on comixology, or are they a brick and mortar only thing?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Picked up my copy of ROM #0 from my FLCBS. It reads very much like 11 pages of Bill Mantlo's script. Ryall and Gage very obviously made a deliberate decision to imitate the speech patterns and vocabulary of the 30 year old books, and there was some subtle fanservice thrown in if you knew what to look for. The artwork was clean and effective. I've got some nitpicks, but they're minor enough that I don't care to voice them. There's no real story to the FCB comic, it's basically just a quick set piece battle that's basically out there just to say "Yep, we know how a fight between Rom and some dire wraiths typically goes." All in all, there's nothing in there that has me worried about the quality of the upcoming series, but I'm not ready to crown it, either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Where's his gun? Is he just shooting out of his hand? NOT MY ROM.

He's got a gun, and it appears out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm not too encouraged by Rom#1. The art is fine, but the pacing is butt. They're killing off too many potential support characters without developing them first, and they're doing a crossover in issue 2. The original was far more willing to establish a supporting cast, and when they were finally killed off, it made the event far more impactful. This may sound a bit strange, but I think IDW needs to slow things down for this to work.

• Locked thread