Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I'm okay. It's the eventual Army of Darkness comics article that has me afraid.

Most of those aren't as painful as you'd expect.

Most....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of them are genuinely fun and actually good, yeah. Some are just kinda dumb fun, others are just completely forgettable, and a few are complete dog doo doo.

By far the biggest waste of time among those I read was the one that adapted the original Evil Dead, I guess under the fair assumption that most people are only familiar with 2 and 3. It tried to retroactively apply Ash's douchey personality from the sequels to his character in the first movie, who was simply a weenie who got pushed too far by crazy events. It didn't work at all, and it had none of the charm that the original film has.

Speaking of Evil Dead 1 Ash, I appreciated the AoD comic storyline where Ash wished himself a better world where he'd never been involved with deadites. It reverted his personality from Duke Nukem to happy spineless dork, since he hadn't been FORGED IN HELLFIRE yet. Sheila was now his modern day girlfriend and remembered everything, and was dismayed at how much of a boring loser Ash was, despite being happy for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wrong thread nerd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Dan Hibiki over Sakura

My main man is moving up in the world!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IDW will publish anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Comics don't have theme songs*, so there's no point to an Action Man comic.

*Except for Nextwave.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember reading a mini-series from 2004 or so that was really good, but I doubt that's canon with whatever's being published right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I liked it :saddowns:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't understand why Bill Murray was ok with doing the game and not a 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Doing voice over work where you basically play yourself is arguably less work than acting in a Hollywood production?

It's not like he hates the idea of a new Ghostbusters because he's lazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think he just resisted Ghostbusters 3 as long as he had to be a cast member. He's apparently got a cameo in the new movie.

From what I understand, he also resisted the new one when it was going to be a "passing of the torch" sequel, even without his role in it. That's the big reason they had to make it a reboot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Following on from previous crossovers, DC are putting out a sequel to Green Lantern/Star Trek and more importantly, a second Batman/TMNT thing, this time with Batman based on The Animated Series!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07...iego-comic-con/

Is Batman going to gently caress April?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I read the Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover the other day. Is the art really that hideous in the main book? It looks like everyone's mouth is trying to run away from their faces.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, was the Karen Traviss GI Joe comic where Cobra are the real heroes as bad as I would assume a comic with that concept and author would be?

She really is a one trick pony, isn't she?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Raising a literal army of child soldiers is pretty weird inherently, but she's such a huge diva about it. A better writer would take issues like that and the other flaws of the pre-Empire Jedi Order and handle them with a lot more subtlety.

I always thought the attempts to introduce shades of grey to a setting where the bad guys wear black and have a giant Death Star was idiotic at best and malicious at worst.

The Jedi shouldn't be sketchy, the Republic shouldn't be corrupt and "deserving" of being usurped by the Sith. That can't exist in the same world as the original three films. Wanting it to is nothing but a manifestation of cynicism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh most of the weird black and white poo poo wasn't in the originals, you have theEU and prequels to thank for that.

Right, except the exact opposite of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope, the originals weren't complicated but they were far from black and white

Please point me to a single scene that casts the empire and its goals in a sympathetic light.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People who are made in a robot factory on commission from Dracula and have no free will are totally heroic and noble, and people who dedicate their lives to understanding the nature of the universe and using this understanding to do good are Hitler.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

That's another thing I liked about Traviss, she insisted that the clones never had any sort of brain chip or conditioning controlling them, they were all fully free. And as a result they carried out Order 66 because they were just such good soldiers they followed orders from their commander-in-chief.

You'd think someone truly free might object to forced conscription or murdering children for a government structure that gives them no rights.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I recall there being deserters in those countries.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arguing in bad faith about minutiae sure is fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So Doink the Clown is going to trap the entire WWE roster in a death maze and kill all the popular ones?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's loving crazy that Simon Baz, a car thief arrested on suspicion of terrorism, is one of the more progressive black characters DC has written in the past 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Without clicking that, I know IDW is publishing it.

• Locked thread