Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
return0
Apr 11, 2007
i always tell my colleagues what i get paid, on the understanding they will tell me the same, and i think its weird that they don't in america

also uber and airbnb sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

one of the reasons I couldn't play poker coming to Denver.

Don't ever work for Motorola Solutions.

that is some bullshit.

i've had a client i used as a reference for another client tell them how much we were billing.

that was a pain in the rear end since they had a special rate

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

how is this legal?

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Just got a new job with a startup and they're doing the open salary thing where everyone's salaries are calculated based on a specific formula and you can just look at a spreadsheet to see how much everyone makes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

were you just straightforward about your salary expectations then

because it's not a faux pas to be explicit about cost of living differences between rural arkansas and wherever in colorado you ended up

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Blodget peppered Bezos with questions about why Amazon is “famously frugal” and doesn’t match the type of employee perks that other high-profile tech companies offer — there are no free lunches at Amazon cafeterias, for example, and the cash components of employee salaries are often well below those of top competitors.

Bezos argued that Amazon has its own “very significant benefits.” One is Amazon’s location in the city of Seattle, instead of a suburban campus. That allows 20 percent of employees to walk to work.

Then there are the food trucks. “We have an unbelievable food truck scene around our headquarters,” he said. “It’s out of control, actually.” Amazon also allows employees to bring their dogs to work. But the real showstopper may be office windows that open, Bezos said. You read that right.

“People, it turns out, really like fresh air,” he said. Take that, Google!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

if you didn't get a letter from the payment processor hired by the class action attorney you're probably out of luck.

"
All natural persons

well poo poo!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

now where's that articles about how amazon is filling downtown seatlle with lovely undateable techbros

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Blodget peppered Bezos with questions about why Amazon is “famously frugal” and doesn’t match the type of employee perks that other high-profile tech companies offer — there are no free lunches at Amazon cafeterias, for example, and the cash components of employee salaries are often well below those of top competitors.

Bezos argued that Amazon has its own “very significant benefits.” One is Amazon’s location in the city of Seattle, instead of a suburban campus. That allows 20 percent of employees to walk to work.

Then there are the food trucks. “We have an unbelievable food truck scene around our headquarters,” he said. “It’s out of control, actually.” Amazon also allows employees to bring their dogs to work. But the real showstopper may be office windows that open, Bezos said. You read that right.

:pwn:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

now where's that articles about how amazon is filling downtown seatlle with lovely undateable techbros

p sure that's just every tech company ever

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

dang how do i get in on this scam

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Amazon also allows employees to bring their dogs to work

really though dogs at work would be a p sweet benefit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

mebby they aren't on account of not having a ballpit and other helpless manchild mitigation services

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Werthog 95 posted:

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

this image is anti-worker

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Citizen Tayne posted:

Discussing your salary with other employees is the only correct thing to do if you believe in a level playing field for labor.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Discussing your salary with other employees is the only correct thing to do if you believe in a level playing field for labor.

Citizen Tayne posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have an office with a window that opens and i can assure you it loving owns

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

mine is loving public record and people still get all weirded out by me not giving a poo poo and offering to tell them when they are asking about my job and say things like "oh I heard that pays well".

this is actually great for when people bitch and whine about those god damned overpaid public sector union workers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only people who should never know how much money I make is my family

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pr0zac posted:

really though dogs at work would be a p sweet benefit

:smugmrgw:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qirex posted:

the only people who should never know how much money I make is my family

this but friends in non-tech fields. "yeah my friend james became a teacher and he's making a TON of money" "yeah?" "yeah he said like 45k"

:rip:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

chihuahuas are so ugly

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

please don't take your terrible pets to your job

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
don't take your pets to your jobs you loving weirdos, have some goddamn dignity

my coworker brings his dumb mutt in every day and it smells like rear end and triggers my allergies

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloody posted:

chihuahuas are so ugly

actually they are v cute, perhaps you meant yourself??

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tiny dogs are gross and annoying and suffer their entire lives

you're a horrible person if you have one or bring it around others

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

this but friends in non-tech fields. "yeah my friend james became a teacher and he's making a TON of money" "yeah?" "yeah he said like 45k"

oh man this is me with texas friends and also some sf friends who aren't tech. most of them works part-time retail jobs for like $8/hr and their partner basically pays rent and they're literally broke all the time. a programmer friend got laid off when his company closed shop and he was complaining about not being able to find a sixxy figgy job to replace his and they were all totally blown away that he makes more in a month than they do in a year

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

daft punk railroad posted:

do companies with official policies against discussing salaries know that that's illegal or do they just not give a poo poo

my old boss found out i discussed my salary with a coworker and threatened to fire me even though it's explicitly protected in the state i was in

:thumbsup:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Werthog 95 posted:

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

linux, linux, linux!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there's a reason Amazon office windows open and if you no longer like your work situation you will find out why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, somebody leashed a rat.

but why?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there's a reason Amazon office windows open and if you no longer like your work situation you will find out why

to let the hound stink out?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

linux, linux, linux!

you only need 2-3 commands to linux okay

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

I think some coder people I know would be mad that I make as much as I do for "just" doing design

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Elder Postsman posted:

dang how do i get in on this scam

p sure step 1 is move to SF

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
only dirty communists discuss their salaries with coworkers

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

akadajet posted:

you only need 2-3 commands to linux okay

i know like 7 terminal commands so im waaaay ahead of them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

only dirty communists discuss their salaries with coworkers

that doesn't really make a lot of sense. aren't all the dirty communists making the same wage?

"how much you make? same as you comrade."

not much to discuss IMO

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

wouldn't everyone get poisoned if they opened the windows at google?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
they are cd, ls, wit, chmod, wine, convert and sudo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

this image is anti-worker

I love the "The PA you were rude to may be your Producer someday" line because they are doing everything they can to keep that from happening.

• Locked thread