Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
there are places pet rent isn't a thing? everywhere I lived in college and since has had that. deposit to cover cleaning and then 30-60 a month in additional rent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i've had to pay extra deposits and fees but never actually pet rent in SF/Berkeley.

one time it was a 500 deposit and a 500 fee (got the 500 deposit back) and the other was a 200 deposit, which i got back.

current place, no deposit/fee/rent or even Pet Resumes probably because I'm not breeding pitbulls

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

born on a buy you posted:

there are places pet rent isn't a thing? everywhere I lived in college and since has had that. deposit to cover cleaning and then 30-60 a month in additional rent

The rest of the world?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's not a thing anywhere i've seen in southern ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
americans: consistently amazed the rest of the world isn't taking it up the rear end without lube

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i've had to pay extra deposits and fees but never actually pet rent in SF/Berkeley.

one time it was a 500 deposit and a 500 fee (got the 500 deposit back) and the other was a 200 deposit, which i got back.

current place, no deposit/fee/rent or even Pet Resumes probably because I'm not breeding pitbulls

lol, my deposit for having cats is $999 on top of my security deposit of $1999

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol, my deposit for having cats is $999 on top of my security deposit of $1999

drat how bad is your credit that it wasn't jsut waived?

Apr 7, 2003

drat how bad is your credit that it wasn't jsut waived?

What do you mean? It's non-negotiable, my credit score is in the low 700s.

I've never heard of anyone in Pennsylvania not paying a security deposit.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm paying an extra $50 a month for two cats, it's a thing here too.

post your cats

Apr 7, 2003

Pennsylvania passed a law at some point setting a limit for security deposit sizes, which means in practice that all landlords just charge the absolute maximum amount they're allowed to by law at all times. Sometimes you'll see "MOVE-IN SPECIAL, $200 SECURITY DEPOSIT" poo poo but they're always shady apartment complexes that look like soviet tenement blocks.

Apr 7, 2003

Farecoal posted:

post your cats

Maybe later

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Mods, please deal with this unacceptable response!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Citizen Tayne posted:

What do you mean? It's non-negotiable, my credit score is in the low 700s.

I've never heard of anyone in Pennsylvania not paying a security deposit.

most of the places i rented in az and tx waived security deposit if your credit was good enough

Apr 7, 2003

most of the places i rented in az and tx waived security deposit if your credit was good enough

Yeah, that doesn't happen here, everyone pays a security deposit because loving tenants out of it after the lease is up is grand sport here.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wild. house rentals generally require first+last months rent, but it's incredibly common out here as far as i can tell

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

we encountered this when we moved here. Only a handful of places would take our dog (Chow Chow/GSD mix). Even places that said 'we accept dogs' wouldn't take him because of breed (and he's 51lbs).

We eventually found a complex. But those complexes are cuh-razy with the rent increases. Like, 14% a year (from $1,900 when we moved in to $2,600 when we moved out 2.5 years later). I wrote a script for CL that would search for places that allowed pets, and then eliminated all the lovely complexes in the area that are always advertising on CL and we got this kickass townhouse where the landlord was like 'lemme meet that dog' and 'ok he looks cool' and we don't pay any extra or nothing.

He *was* actually trained by my wife at the local humaine society to be a support dog for the local hospital program they have

Proof: my son giving him blocks to eat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

we encountered this when we moved here. Only a handful of places would take our dog (Chow Chow/GSD mix). Even places that said 'we accept dogs' wouldn't take him because of breed (and he's 51lbs).

We eventually found a complex. But those complexes are cuh-razy with the rent increases. Like, 14% a year (from $1,900 when we moved in to $2,600 when we moved out 2.5 years later). I wrote a script for CL that would search for places that allowed pets, and then eliminated all the lovely complexes in the area that are always advertising on CL and we got this kickass townhouse where the landlord was like 'lemme meet that dog' and 'ok he looks cool' and we don't pay any extra or nothing.

He *was* actually trained by my wife at the local humaine society to be a support dog for the local hospital program they have

Proof: my son giving him blocks to eat

wanna pet that dog

Apr 7, 2003

wild. house rentals generally require first+last months rent, but it's incredibly common out here as far as i can tell

Yeah, nobody here does first + last month, it's just first month + security deposit (almost always two months rent).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i moved into my place in downtown seattle with no deposit and really not too many fees. only one months rent too, no first + last

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
honestly if I could just pay some "pet rent" or whatever and get a dog I'd do it because the only places around here that allow pets are shady loving dives or come at such a premium that you might as well be paying pet rent anyway. gently caress it i'll do a pet resume and a pet cover letter and a pet whiteboard coding session too.

Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i moved into my place in downtown seattle with no deposit and really not too many fees. only one months rent too, no first + last

When we moved in here we stroked a check for $3750 or so, first month's rent + security deposit + cat deposit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, that doesn't happen here, everyone pays a security deposit because loving tenants out of it after the lease is up is grand sport here.

yeah. the only time i havent been hosed out of it was when moving to another unit the landlord owned

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
honestly the first thing you should do is take photos right before you move in

the ex and her roommates got severely hosed when new mgmt took over their building, when they moved out the landlord was all 'lol look at all this broke poo poo' and had a balance sheet of $5500 in fines, lol

they sold the building 4 months after

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pr0zac posted:

really though dogs at work would be a p sweet benefit

current job allows dogs but mine's scared of mountain view so he had to stay home, other dogs in the office on the regular tho (now i work @ home and he sits on my lap in the mornings)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
where the gently caress do you not have pet deposits and rentals? gently caress, we're lucky to find a place that even takes cats in ny

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
also lol at bringing pets to work

the class hamster poo poo only flies when you're in kindergarten

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

tiny dogs are gross and annoying and suffer their entire lives

wrongo

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, nobody here does first + last month, it's just first month + security deposit (almost always two months rent).

i'd say half the places i've lived in over the last few years wanted security deposit of two months' rent + the first months' rent up front. I had to drop $2700 to secure a $900/mo room. Then it turned out the dude was overcharging me & another guy by $300/mo. He refunded the difference (the other guy he'd been doing it to for a couple of years) but the next month he gave both of us an eviction notice because his wife was moving back to SF and he wanted to share the apartment with her and his meth head babysitter he'd been having an affair with for threesomes with his 5 year old in the house.

Legally he couldn't actually evict me, but I was out of there in 2 days.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

honestly the first thing you should do is take photos right before you move in

the ex and her roommates got severely hosed when new mgmt took over their building, when they moved out the landlord was all 'lol look at all this broke poo poo' and had a balance sheet of $5500 in fines, lol

they sold the building 4 months after

my last apartment got sold while i was in it and the new mgmt tried to get me to scrape a bunch of ancient paint off of some windows that they accused me of painting. said not my problem and didn't do it. they gave me my whole deposit back anyway.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
landlords really like small animals such as rats because they know they wont do any damage but can still charge as much as they want for adeposit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PokeJoe posted:

my last apartment got sold while i was in it and the new mgmt tried to get me to scrape a bunch of ancient paint off of some windows that they accused me of painting. said not my problem and didn't do it. they gave me my whole deposit back anyway.

weird

Apr 7, 2003

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

wanna pet that dog

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

also lol at bringing pets to work

the class hamster poo poo only flies when you're in kindergarten

much like tiny people, ie everyone under 185 cm

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nice. be sure to call your landlord a bithc while you're at it.

Apr 7, 2003

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have rented a couple places that had a 300-500 refundable pet deposit and didn't charge any extra rent. anything else just seems like charging for no reason. if there is damage to the apartment, keep the deposit. if you have a well behaved pet the worst you're gonna do is maybe get charged 50-100 of the deposit for steam cleaning some carpets and cleaning dog/cat smell out of an A/C duct.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Citizen Tayne posted:

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

kwinkles posted:

i have rented a couple places that had a 300-500 refundable pet deposit and didn't charge any extra rent. anything else just seems like charging for no reason. if there is damage to the apartment, keep the deposit. if you have a well behaved pet the worst you're gonna do is maybe get charged 50-100 of the deposit for steam cleaning some carpets and cleaning dog/cat smell out of an A/C duct.

I don't even have A/C ducts, this is radiator heat.

• Locked thread