Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i think part of it is pride.

He better pride my fuckin' check over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

i think part of it is pride.

pride is a cardinal sin

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

man i really really wish you had brought this up here before emailing that

you should have anonymously pamphleted all of your neighbors/tenants of this landlord and then emailed your landlord

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
a lot of it (general white dude shitheadedness) is a reaction to a perceived diminishment of their superior role in culture and society. you can basically explain 99% of reactionary white dude stuff as a response to being raised with certain expectations about the world and their place in it, emulating fathers who were the center of the family, breadwinner, all that jazz and having that expectation curtailed by progress. it's related to machismo but it doesn't seem to be as acute in non-white dudes.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the joke of course is that white dudes are still the center of american culture in a very large way, but it's just the Actually Rich ones (it was always the Actually Rich ones but it's impossible to maintain the veener that 'average' dudes are the center of anything culturally) who are at the center

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

uncurable mlady posted:

a lot of it (general white dude shitheadedness) is a reaction to a perceived diminishment of their superior role in culture and society. you can basically explain 99% of reactionary white dude stuff as a response to being raised with certain expectations about the world and their place in it, emulating fathers who were the center of the family, breadwinner, all that jazz and having that expectation curtailed by progress. it's related to machismo but it doesn't seem to be as acute in non-white dudes.

the idea that i could have enjoyed even more privilege is almost mind blowing.

what a time to be alive

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

what a time to be alive

if you can get down with the J-Man in a big way then evangelical christianity has a place for you

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what a time to be alive

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Citizen Tayne posted:

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

you're black?!?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just caught up. lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

Citizen Tayne posted:

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

yeah i was about to say- don't be surprised if you wake up with your tires slashed

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

work dogs would be just fine but only at certain types of jobs
like a shop where the dog wont get in the way or some kind of creative space but not a stodgy office ever or retail or restauraunt

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I work in an office where someone complained that someone elses perfume was bothering her. I can't even imagine what vitriol dogs would bring (from cat people).

'Bloo bloo, Jim can bring his dog but I can't bring any of my 4 cats'

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I work in an office where someone complained that someone elses perfume was bothering her. I can't even imagine what vitriol dogs would bring (from cat people).

haha i got chewed for a good 2 minute by a facilities manager lady for bringing in my tiny kitten i trapped and adopted

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

some people really wear offensive amounts of perfume

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i would 100% lose my poo poo if someone brought a dog to the office

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is v true

and it is like "wtf" to me but i am not gluten free or homeopathic so i just shrug it off as "jeeze thats a lot of perfume"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah an office is not a place for dogs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if i shared an office or a cube or something with someone who wore way too much perfume, to the point that it was giving me a headache, i'd have to do something about it but i'd try to handle it politely.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

quote:

Olfactory fatigue, also known as odor fatigue or olfactory adaptation, is the temporary, normal inability to distinguish a particular odor after a prolonged exposure to that airborne compound.[1] For example, when entering a restaurant initially the odor of food is often perceived as being very strong, but after time the awareness of the odor normally fades to the point where the smell is not perceptible or is much weaker. After leaving the area of high odor, the sensitivity is restored with time. Perfume counters will often have containers of coffee beans which tend to "reset" olfaction. Anosmia is the permanent loss of the sense of smell, and is different from olfactory fatigue.

It's also why my smelly dog doesn't stink to me

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

there are places pet rent isn't a thing? everywhere I lived in college and since has had that. deposit to cover cleaning and then 30-60 a month in additional rent

it's not a thing in new orleans or indeed anyplace i've ever heard of in louisiana, alabama, mississippi, georgia (atl area) or houston and all of those places are extra-poo poo to renters

never heard of it in nyc either. idk AZ from just owning but i assumed that it was like renting in the south ie buttfucked once up front for pets instead of as an ongoing thing

and a deposit is returned in full for normal use or else it isn't a deposit

one time pet fees are the norm to cover the "additional cost" of cleaning in places that make you justify poo poo like that

but california enumerates poo poo like how long a landlord should expect things to last like paint (2 years) and carpet (10 years) as well as strictly outlines how deposits work (must refund in full or not at all and limits mean first + last month rent bs is outlawed), so pet rent it is apparently b/c that's not illegal yet

lol at louisiana having greater renter protections than california

my friend who just moved here from louisiana to be a vet pays $120 per pet per month at her place in sunnyvale so we're p lucky to merely be paying $60 for our little ugly furbabby

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Thank you! :)

this is how i end my pushy business emails when someone delays a response to me

unff

Citizen Tayne posted:

He is smarter than everyone else. Everyone else is too stupid to be trusted with his assets.

This is a real thing with people who are smart or who think they're smart, doctors are notorious for trying to manage their own practices with poor results.

this also results in doctors being common targets for things like investment scams

because they have money and the idea that since they are skilled or successful at one thing, then due to the transitive property they are good at anything that they set their hand too and are deserving of future success

i fully understand how lucky i am to have a partner that understands this implicitly

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i think pet rents are only a thing in regions that are at least slightly desirable to live in

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kwinkles posted:

the danger with rental apartments is that people don't replace the aircon filter. when i rented i used to turn on the AC and smell the air coming out of the register, then turn on the heater and smell the air. sometimes you get a huge whiff of someone's gross dog smell.

i like dogs, but dog smell in vacuums and air conditioning systems is the worst.

when i was a landlord for the family property in baton rouge i changed that poo poo out myself erry month (no a/c for 3ish days in the summer there is enough to start mildew growin)

this also afforded me the chance to speak to the tenants firsthand in order to address maint issues and work with them for delayed rent or swapping people around on the lease and generally trying to be helpful as hell b/c i'm inheriting that poo poo i can't be havin a hurricane create leaks that aren't found for a season or two of heavy southern louisiana rain or dumbass 20 year olds vengefully fuckin the place up

also b/c lol i intentionally and illegally shifted to renting to ladystudents at lsu since they (their parents) pay on time and they don't wreck the place up and i was a nerdy as hell student too so i'd go outta my way to talk to them about fixing poo poo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

my old boss found out i discussed my salary with a coworker and threatened to fire me even though it's explicitly protected in the state i was in

:thumbsup:

It's actually protected speech nationwide; it's part of the Taft-Hartley Act.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i would 100% lose my poo poo if someone brought a dog to the office

we have one dog that essentially keeps working hours in the office, and another one that used to come in on fridays but i think he died. he was friendly. the one that lives in the office barks at me a lot.

did you know that san francisco has more pet dogs in the city limits than human beings under the age of 18?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Thank you! :)

this is how i end my pushy business emails when someone delays a response to me

unff

i find a pro thing to do when ending an email requesting something is to pre-emptively thank them for helping b/c people often then feel like a jerk if they say no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

did you know that san francisco has more pet dogs in the city limits than human beings under the age of 18?

i think seattle is the same way

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i find a pro thing to do when ending an email requesting something is to pre-emptively thank them for helping b/c people often then feel like a jerk if they say no

this is a pro move yeah - it's important to sound sincere too (to olds)

also for us this usually entails repeating information given in phonecalls esp re: when a response is expected, so that there is a written record of someone loving up a deadline that isn't me

420 CYA erry day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why arent you asleep hp, don't you have work tomorrow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
futurewife had to fly back home unexpectedly due to a suicide in the immediate family

so i'm up late feeding my insomnia scotch and dealing with poo poo like rescheduling this wedding band making workshop in emeryville that's already paid for

it's cool tho everyone that we've had to deal with so far for moving things around has been really understanding and i'm now double drat glad that we have a planner to help smooth things along since we're 3 months away at this point

ugh prolly gotta drop some guilt on my bosses to let me relax a deadline in order to attend the funeral in a week or two or whenever they release the body

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i realize that it sounds crazy selfish, but this could hardly have come at a worse time for last minute schedule changes for our jobs/programs and months-planned wedding stuff and airfare and whatnot

maybe day before the wedding would've been worse

maybe

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

is that legal down there?

up here they can say poo poo like no pets, but it's completely unenforceable and they can't kick you out for it

actually you can if another tenant is allergic :smugmrgw:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

this is true but dont be like my idiot boss and add it to your email signature and end up thanking someone for their mother dying in a car crash

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PokeJoe posted:

i think seattle is the same way

i wish i were in seattle :allears:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

i wish i were in seattle :allears:

why?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

it seems like a pretty cool city where rents aren't as high and they don't have really hot summers and they're literally right next to a fjord

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

it seems like a pretty cool city where rents aren't as high and they don't have really hot summers and they're literally right next to a fjord

come visit and find out

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i realize that it sounds crazy selfish, but this could hardly have come at a worse time for last minute schedule changes for our jobs/programs and months-planned wedding stuff and airfare and whatnot

maybe day before the wedding would've been worse

maybe

dont forget to get your marriage license. a good number of people forget this part apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this also results in doctors being common targets for things like investment scams

because they have money and the idea that since they are skilled or successful at one thing, then due to the transitive property they are good at anything that they set their hand too and are deserving of future success

tiaa-cref's latest ad campaign is basically 'hey professor youre good at what you teach but for fucks sakes let us take care of your retirement planning'

i think its well done

• Locked thread