Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cis autodrag posted:

My college French teacher was an 80 year old old school French communist lady and it was so fun watching the Waukesha kids have their conservative world view assaulted bilingually.

Waukesha Blackshirts

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the BBC-Onion Guide to CES

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

to say nothing of whether a miniaturized human can still breathe regular-sized air

ask the perma’d crazy who thought it a good idea to share with the Minecraft thread that he wrote stories about torturing fairies

he had quite a lot of thoughts about miniature people

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hahahaha link?

don’t have it handy, it was a few years ago but it comes up in “pyf crazy forums poo poo” threads

and it was less “hahaha” and more “wtf?”

it was kinda serial killer-ish

edit: found it, fortunately you don’t get a lot of hits when looking for that kind of poo poo on the forums

eschaton fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 11, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MononcQc posted:

also I would 100% conduct a writing test or sampling before those creative questions. Holy poo poo I'm discovering myself having a hard time dealing with coworkers who can't align 5 words without making a grammatical mistake or committing code with actual typos in functions or methods or variable names and all the surrounding comments. No you can't merge the branch when there are 7 'fuctnion' variables in there

maybe all their nion are fuct though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

the shocking part is that google makes its own employees put up with the tirefire that is google groups

Google is all-in on pretending web pages are actually applications so they actively select for that kind of Stockholm Syndrome

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

nope, 'data-driven' startup kids

the founders wouldn’t have gone there without some hangups about using birth control though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Stand on Zanzibar came out in 1968

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

hey you live in the general area of china right? can you really go to street vendors in shenzhen and scoop yourself big ol' bag full o' microcontroller chip ripoffs like it's a barrel of peanuts?

...can you personally do that and ship them to me so i can have cheap things?

my friend have you heard of alibaba

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fart simpson posted:

a few times i've seen dudes on the street with literal cardboard signs saying stuff like "will do pcb layouts for cheap"

need to hire some of these people to design me the FPGA-based NuBus card of my dreams

(hell, also to make some new goddamn Mac IIfx SIMMs, the 16MB modules are out of stock everywhere)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the IIfx SIMMs are special, they’re like 64-pin 80ns Fast Page Mode SIMMs that require separate data in/out lines for overlapped read/write cycles

the actual ICs can still be sourced (for now, it’s all NOS) so it’s just a matter of that, designing the boards, manufacturing them, populating them, and testing them

there’s someone on one of the old Mac forums that’s actually done the first three steps and claims to have had a bunch of boards ready to populate and test for several months now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

graph posted:

lol if this wasnt your ide

CodeWarrior is Pro Ace

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

i made snake

one guy made a loving golf game complete with 18 holes, different friction coefficients for different lengths of grass/sand pits, club selection, etc

spotted the college republican

did this person also have a penchant for business suits and early-onset male pattern baldness?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the only thing i retained from that class is that there's a function in one of the default objective-c libraries that will calculate the number of days, hours, etc. from one specified date to another, and it accurately corrects for the shift from julian to gregorian calendars if the calculation crosses that threshold.

Foundation date and time handling is great

you could even do a calculation like that with one Julian-era date and one Imperial Japanese date and get the right answer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lancemantis posted:

i propose liq.er -- a liquor distribution network where you can sell your bathtub moonshine to your community, opening up phat tax free margins and revolutionizing the availability of all kinds of booze!

i can't believe nobody has ever though of this, i'm a business genius!

do not steal!

what about d.sl, matching people making homemade diesel with people who want it over the Internet?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

i was thinking peak "active" as in 1000 simultaneous requests, not 1000 people logged in, but same diff the conclusion is the same i guess

I wonder what kind of load a modern NNTP server could manage

I’ve honestly been wondering how hard it’d be to set up a stand-alone NNTP server that

• only supports MODE READER (no distribution/transfer)
  • requires some secure authentication
  • has a simple web form for registration
  • requires you to put a hash in your SA profile to claim your username

if only the registration required SSL and the auto did some other crypto key exchange (that newsreaders actually support, of course) it shouldn’t actually take much CPU or storage to run

I toy with the idea of ripping apart Papercut and using it to make the thing above but :effort:

maybe I should write a business plan and get angel investors and VCs to pay me millions to do it, they still fund “open source companies” right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

all those cool cs projects make me want to get back to that dinky operating system I was making forever ago in Easy68K lol

you could write an IBM-style editor for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

lancemantis posted:

between yegge's post and some person experiences I feel like you could almost formalize a lot of nerd hubris (and they would probably hate you for it); though some of this is probably universalizable to anyone today

nerd speech has been formalized, there was a long Usenet post about how nerds talk from someone whose sister was a linguist or speech pathologist or something, and whom he took to a science fiction convention

nerds talk in paragraphs, not conversationally

nerds have a tendency to over-enunciate

nerds make weird pronunciation mistakes, almost as if they’ve never heard the words they’re saying spoken aloud by another human being, only ever read them

etc.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I would like to read this post if you can find it

took a bit of searching but here it is: Fanspeak

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

exempt primary residences from property tax and we'll call it good then. maybe even do that thing where you declare a property value for the purposes of taxation and let anybody forcibly buy it at that price. gently caress property hoarders.

i just don't like property taxes on the home where you actually live as a concept.

if local infrastructure like schools weren’t funded via property taxes then this might be more reasonable, replace it all with income taxes (including taxing investment income as ordinary income)

make the limited increases to property tax apply to an individually owned primary residence, index the increase to inflation rather than cap it, and it should be good

also create regional transit authorities & eliminate local transit authority because municipalities can’t be trusted

and create regional zoning authorities & eliminate local zoning authority for the same reason

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FMguru posted:

my favorite property tax assessment story is from guatamala where the leftist government nationalized all the foreign-owned plantations and paid compensation....based on the decades old and hilariously understated official tax assessments that theyd most recently paid

pretty lol (until the us marines showed up)

if only the glorious Red Army were already there to provide an appropriate welcome

everybody understands that this is basically why American is perma-mad at Cuba, right? some rich American assholes had their illegally-obtained and marginally taxed property seized by The People when their pet dictator was deposed, the glorious USSR actually made that stick, and America got a permanent bug up its rear end that makes it hard for us to get good rum and cigars

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

can grandma at least keep her toothbrush, or will the heartless commie-nazis seize that too?

all grandmas will have toothbrush provided by The People

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Wheany posted:

force the grandmas to sell their house at a fair price. if that's over 1 million, grandma gets the guilliotine and her inheritors get the money (minus inheritance tax).

raze grandma's old house and build a 30-story rent controlled apartment building in its place.

or force grandma to give her house to the developer in exchange for all-expenses-paid temporary housing during construction, and ownership of a unit equivalent to her house in the high rise when it’s complete

or if it’s a rental unit, she gets to live rent free in the high rise along with some payout

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

this is false. you idiot. you complete moron. no, everybody getting an extra $30k a year, say, would not mean everyone has the ability to pay an extra $2500 a month in rent.

he’s not saying that, idiot hellfucker

he’s saying that everybody getting an extra $30K/year would mean landlords will believe everyone has the ability to pay an extra $2500/month in rent

I know modeling the thought processes of humans is difficult sometimes, especially when they’re free market pieces of poo poo, but I can absolutely see landlords believing this and acting in it, regardless of how objectively true it is

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 26, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Marxism-Leninism did nothing wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

those scanners were put in with no regulations anywhere, extremely shameful

this is why I have not and won’t ever go through them

not only did they go in with “no regulation,” they went in with a sort of “anti-regulation” — there’s active opposition to any research into things like exposure levels

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

what the gently caress?

how??

because that’s what the company that the guy who was heading TSA had come from (or something like that) were making, duh, it was straight up graft

and despite being X-ray devices their operators don’t require the kind of training and certification that, say, a dental X-ray tech does, because terrorism America patriot 9/11

and of course for National Security reasons they and their effects can’t actually be studied, like any attempt to do so will be actively blocked

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

does jefferson davis count as the president of america, he was president of half of it at least

no, Abraham Lincoln was president of all of it for that time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

You Am I posted:

wrong, amberpos best pos

incorrect

bluish whitenP4 phosphor supremacy

gimme p4pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

trap sprung but i'm p sure that his eyes are the icon for one of the strongest abilities in the game, FRACTURE

for a second I thought this was a reference to the lucasarts game “fracture” which my wife worked on and which sold basically not at all

• Locked thread