Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Luigi Thirty posted:

meanwhile in rocketry,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/biggest-amateur-built-sub-sinks-owner-is-suspected-of-killing-passenger/

the guy who owns Copenhagen Suborbitals and the largest amateur submarine may have murdered a reporter and sank his sub to cover it up

i think this is the first goon project with a confirmed kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

proposal: a watercraft for "responsible boat pilots" and "submarine enthusiasts"

reality: a man falls through shallow water and into a shittily welded steel tube. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga do u write for the guardian"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

man even if you discount literal soldiers and suicides there are 5 more goon murders than cph suborbital who never even had an account (a member of his club did once)

oh I thought the suborbital guy was a goon

joke retracted

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yes let’s relitigate 2016 Democrat primary again this is new and fertile grounds for discussion that will leave everyone better off

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

they could put it somewhere near NYC

comedy option: yonkers

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

this thread has a strange idea of the kind of money you need to pull in to buy a house anywhere vaguely worth living that isn’t either a flyover hellhole or extremely inconvenient to anything. I live in upstate ny and make six figures before factoring in my wife’s salary and home ownership is a hilarious fanciful dream for us because of massive student loan debt and the fact that anything you’d want to live in is around 180-200 to start, and property taxes are ridiculous.

if we were to move closer to nyc then it’d be even worse, I don’t think we’d come out ahead even commuting and getting city pay bumps.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

rjmccall posted:

um. even at ridiculous upstate ny property tax rates (they're actually some of the worst in the county, much worse than in nyc, although of course assessments are a lot lower), a 200k house ought to be easily affordable on a six-figgie salary. maybe it isn't for you because of your debt, or because you have other major expenses you didn't mention (healthcare, kids), and you certainly shouldn't buy a house just because you can theoretically afford it, but a $1500 monthly payment is not an unreasonable burden on that income, even budgeting very generously for your house being a money pit

no, we could certainly afford $1500 a month (i mean, that's rent) but people (read: boomers/parents/etc) act like house payments are 500-700 a month or something and can't understand why we just dont buy a house already gosh!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like there’s probably a racket for baby’s first code boot camp only $3k/mo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i think my favorite part is that they were expensing the bribes. I need to look for that section in concur

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

gee it must really suck for people to pile on to you for no other reason than who you are, biz :thunk:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

kids and manchildren freaking out over some dumb fad poo poo? shocking

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Xposting from sci-fi thread

fandoms are universally terrible

lol if ur a 'fan' of something

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the best intentions can still be foiled by the laws of thermodynamics

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

muckswirler posted:

It's always been this way. You just didn't know for SURE that your fourth grade teacher was a nazi, but you heard the rumors that he had a picture of the fuhrer on his dressing table. The solution is bubbling yourself in just like you do in real life with people you like and things you like and limiting your exposure to the absolute batshit bottom quartile dregs.

whoops we did this and now there's a nazi president who's deporting everyone who doesn't pass the paper bag test

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

if hq2 winds up being somewhere reasonably close I’d think about trying to go all career salaryman for Amazon, idk. I get aws recruiters up in my poo poo every 6 months or so and it seems like there’s interesting stuff to be done there.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fishmech posted:

something awful is only 4-5 years younger than the commercial internet as a whole (18th anniversary of the site founding is november 15 2017).

something awful has been a site for at least78% of the time that any random person could get an isp account (without having to go through a university of large defense corporation, or the defense branch of the goverment) and load up a graphical web browser capable of showing inline images.

just kinda meditate on how that makes all of this.

if twitter charged people 10 dollars to post it'd probably be better

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

meatpotato posted:

lol chomebook

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

on this note, a neural network researcher/artist has taken Nvidia's Progressive Growing of GANs image generation neural network, which is trained on celebrity faces to create new high-resolution faces, and is using it to create faces specifically tuned to be misrecognized as various objects by various standard image recognition networks.

https://twitter.com/dribnet/status/927832351492546566

See if you can spot the encoded bias in the standard solutions

what people seem to be missing here is that it's not "feed in these images, get these words"

it's "feed in these words, get these images"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

although technically it's not as simple as i made it sound, sounds like he's trying to fit faces to classifiers somehow and i'd presume that there's a lot of training data of asian people in kimonos and muslim women in abeya (and black dudes in prison!) so yeah it's gonna spit out what it got in

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

we created an incredibly racist classifier entirely by accident! whoever could have foreseen this? no one, probably.

i'm not defending it, i'm just suggesting that it's merely reflecting bias rather than creating bias, like basically everything else.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

sushiritos are ok

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i dont understand why cities are tossing themselves at companies head-first to get them to move there and then reap none of the rewards

rising tide lifts all boats says man chaining himself to the bottom of the river

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

these aren’t exactly novel ideas that are being pitched, it’s not like places are whoring themselves out just because bezos came calling. they’d suck a golf ball through a garden hose if it got 5000 jobs, let alone 50k.

there’s a certain theory that it’s still a benefit for the municipality because people will move there, those people buy houses, those property taxes will go to the city, etc.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

one of the finest posts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Facebook is going to get regulated into the ground and it’s gonna be hilarious

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

"hello congressman jimmy fucknuts from sistertoucher, al. remember last year when russia got a literal idiot elected because your constituents are dumb as gently caress? how would you like for that to be used against you by your primary opponent? no?"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

remember, even in tech buble thread, never engage with a stymie!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

and what if jimmy fucknuts is happy that his party's literal idiot won, and what if jimmy is also a literal idiot with presidential ambitions

jimmy fucknuts is more worried about jimbob kidkiddler beating him in a primary

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

are there enough whales that want to spend $50/day to mod fyad/fyad-lites?

look inside your heart

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i would personally contribute to a crowd fund to make tori IK of SAS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yospos could probably run a successful and self-sustaining offsite by itself without even growing the userbase

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I’m not quite sure what ldr actually did other than try to get they dick wet and slide into dms

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lancemantis posted:

modern_search_ranking.jpg

i dont understand the problem here. why wouldn't you buy search ads against your competitors product? like, that's... sort of the point

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

idiot republican controlled states doing stupid bullshit to spite the libs? why, I never.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

duz posted:

they tried filtering them out but then conservatives kept complaining their articles were disappearing

it's almost like facebook is bad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol boston fuckin' sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

this is a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU