Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qirex posted:

Uber's been hit with another cease and desist order from an upset local government, this time in South Carolina. The Public Service Commission of South Carolina today ordered the transportation company (which also delivers kittens, ice cream, and human food), to halt its operations there due to what it says is improper licensing of its drivers. The legal notice names Rasier LLC, which is a subsidiary of Uber and operates its UberX service, saying that the company's drivers simply doesn't have the right credentials to be picking people up and taking them places for money.

"All motor carriers transporting persons or property for compensation to first obtain a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity before commencing operation," the filing states, later adding that the idea itself is not entirely terrible. "Consumers benefit from, and deserve choices in, the marketplace. However, those choices must be consistent with state law intended to protect the public."

Uber, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment, has been operating its UberX service in the state since July of last year. Local regulators have been contemplating a special new classification for Uber and other services like it. A hearing to discuss the matter was originally set for later this month, but was halted after Uber surprised officials by filing to have its service certified to operate like other taxi and limousine services.

im the curious qualification of human food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

also i thought tinder was hookups not dates

turns out what people actually want is to gently caress

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

carry on then posted:

it's actually an enormous personal failing and marks the person as damaged goods unfit for modern society, hope this helps

i get that this is your gimmick but you should probably re-read tori's posts and try again, you're trying too hard and its really obvious

you have to subtly bait people

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Necc0 posted:

sure but that still ain't strange

maybe you're doing it wrong then

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

so shanley read a tweet about linus saying something linus-y and got on her soapbox about it, this counts as "breaking a story" now?

I had to actually Google what he said because there was no context to her tweet other than Linus is a dick, turns out he didn't really say anything terribly controversial

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i think she raises good points pretty often and I don't begrudge her anger or style

i just happen to disagree with her point about linus

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i'm pretty sure tunney is a highly elaborate troll

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i know linus says naughty words sometimes but was he ever sexist/racist?

I'm pretty sure what shanley was getting at was linus answering a question about why there's so little diversity in open source with a halfassed "well it's not really our job to care about that I just care about the kernel"

in fairness to linus I think he really only cares about the software. he's not an esr or rms trying to crusade on principles or something. that said, I don't think you can "throw him out" because iirc he's still a very active contributor and probably the single most knowledgable person about the kernel.

does the fact that he's an unrepentant rear end in a top hat mean that he's driving people who have some useful contributions away? maybe. i would argue though that the Linux kernel is arguably one of the only successful examples of the meritocracy in action and is a surprisingly good piece of software. if there really is a teeming mass of people with great ideas who are turned off by linus then they should fork the project and make a better one.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

a fork with better project management that actively tamped down on the sort of rampant assholery endemic to open source projects might avoid that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

heh, dames, am i right fellas?

*m'ladys, stage left*

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

FMguru posted:

aatrek joining uber would actually elevate the moral character of the company

mostly because children generally dont ride jitney cabs unaccompanied

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

late but go gently caress yourself valeyard :toot:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I wanna see sagebrush and shaggar in a race to the bottom

of a mass grave

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

hm, gonna agree w/ shags here but quirex is right

what if we separated the concerns of patient care from the profit motive, perhaps by implementing some sort of... social program, let's say, that had oversight of the efficiency and effectiveness of caregivers without tying the hospitals and doctors to a twisted reimbursement profit making scheme that had multiple middlemen all looking for a cut

we could increase efficiency on the payments side by having some sort of single payer of procedure costs

some sort of socialized medicine, u might say

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

a radio station this morning ran a commercial about a super bowl contest and they just bleeped out "super bowl" whenever anybody said it

that's clever

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

vegans are all terrible people and one that owns a strip clup couldn't be anything other than the worst in the world

shaggar was right

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

initial? nah that shits been traded on the pink sheets for decades

heh

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

bassguitarhero posted:

so i went to brunch with my white friend on sunday to some upscale brunch place called "Dottie's" on 6th street which is a whole story in its own, but she tells me about this new bus/uber/lyft alternative called "Chariot" where you pay $4 to hop in a van that has a semi-preselected route but the driver asks what stop you want and if no one wants the transamerican pyramid for example, then they skip it.

so of course this basically just sounds like what bus systems were before they failed as private companies and turned public, but the big selling point for her was that they could instantly get more vans on the road when they needed them, and take them off when they weren't needed. i asked what were they doing with the extra vans and drivers when they aren't needed, she said the workers were doing stuff in the office. i wake up this morning, turns out chariot is storing their extra vans in front of my apartment

disruptive

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

out of curiosity if you installed one of those safety things between the front and back of your car would uber delist you

of course they would

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

net promoter scoooooreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

what's the scope of the economy that vacuums money out of poors?

90% or so

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

wild. it seems like jumping jobs for a large raise would be good. lol that loans require you to stay at your job. "not only are you fixed to this job market physically. you are contractually chained to your current job"

uh, you realize that this is like why FHA poo poo exists and people push a "culture of ownership" in America, right?

tying working class people to physical locations is a massive benefit for capital, as it restricts the free geographic movement of labor. it's been a massive boom to the deunionization of America - consider that automakers can up and build a plant in bumfuck, al (usually with massive tax incentives) and reorient their labor costs around the new, lower, cost of living. if workers had the ability to move around as much then the highly skilled workers from northern factories could have followed the plants and attempted to command their higher wage due to greater skill

if you can't afford to move you're essentially captive to whatever the local prevailing labor market decides is a fair value. your boss (and his boss and so forth) suffer none of those restrictions and can (and will) pull up stakes in a heartbeat

in summary full communism now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol mapquest still exists?

they license their mapping data

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

http://www.skymosity.com

The Leading Weather Marketing Platform
Making Big Weather
Data Actionable.

How does AOV change on my site when it is raining?

What impact does snow have on my sales?

How does purchase behavior differ with 15-30 degree and 90+ degree weather?

What are my top selling products when it is (fill in the weather condition)?

At what temperature change does my top category see an increase/decrease in sales?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

one of the interns today started going on about social justice warriors and tumblr

not five minutes before, he busted this line out in reference to someone saying they were gonna do what their wife wanted over the weekend - "well, that's how things go in all of the tv I've seen, not that I would know because I don't have a girlfriend"

can't imagine why buddy, can't imagine why

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Mido posted:

not sure what any of these things have to do with anything, sorry about your sad pathetic intern

it's a ~cloud startup~

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

as a lowly adjunct professor let me say this -

college kids are loving dumb as balls.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

but yeah I'd say like 90% of the problem at all levels of education is that teaching is a thankless and underpaid job, and administrations are slowly dumbing down teaching staff by cutting the people who have been there a while and know their poo poo in favor of moocs and adjuncts

I mean when you get down to it the adjunct rate where I teach works out to maybe $16/hr

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the only thing I don't like about the mazda3 is the stupid tablet display infotainment bullshit

great car otherwise though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Tablet Functionality

all oem infotainment systems are laggy garbage

also Jesus Christ tori and sagebrush just gently caress already

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the gently caress happened itt

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

what hosed up part of the world do you not address emails to people you havent met yet as Mr/Ms <LastName>

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i hold doors all the time but i avoided the m'am/sir, thank god

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

canada, for one.

canada seems rly laid back

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

lol

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-premium-uber-service-lets-users-commandeer-any,37955/

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

p sure h&r block et al now offer incentives to put your refund on a prepaid card rather than direct deposit and the incentive is greater the more you spend on the prep software

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

good

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Tokamak posted:

is there not an easy way to file taxes online and people have to buy 3rd party software? where I live the government releases an e-tax program for free, it guides you through filling it out and submits it for you. reading about uber people buying and using turbo tax for like $90 a year makes me cringe inside.

welcome to america, enjoy your stay

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Thesoro posted:

idk man it'll probably be better than any klingon watch

"the time is 18:36, honorless p'tagh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i didnt know what favor was so i looked it up

quote:

Hi everyone!

This year we have seen Favor grow into something amazing and we couldn’t have done it without you!

We believe in simple, fair pricing want our service to always remain an affordable luxury. Currently on larger sized transactions Favor loses money on credit card fees. To continue to provide the service you’ve grown to love, we need to adjust pricing for orders over $50.

New Pricing:

Favors under $50 are $5.00
Favor $50 to $100 are $7.50
Favors over $100 are $10.00
(Tip not included)
Thank you for your understanding and continued support. Lets cover the city with bow ties!

-Favor Team

die techie scum

• Locked thread