Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I did a music video shoot at this house in Sacramento and they had a pet pig and it was a pain in the rear end trying to walk backwards while filming and then occasionally hearing the pig SQUEAL because I'd just stepped on its tail. Then I'd apologize to it and it would chill out because pigs are fuckin smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, nobody here does first + last month, it's just first month + security deposit (almost always two months rent).

i'd say half the places i've lived in over the last few years wanted security deposit of two months' rent + the first months' rent up front. I had to drop $2700 to secure a $900/mo room. Then it turned out the dude was overcharging me & another guy by $300/mo. He refunded the difference (the other guy he'd been doing it to for a couple of years) but the next month he gave both of us an eviction notice because his wife was moving back to SF and he wanted to share the apartment with her and his meth head babysitter he'd been having an affair with for threesomes with his 5 year old in the house.

Legally he couldn't actually evict me, but I was out of there in 2 days.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

as an asu alumnus (lol), president crow is an ok dude in my book. yeah he's overpaid and cares too much about sports and fundraising. but when some group of batshit tea partiers tried to get a state bill passed to allow students and teachers to carry guns on campus to DEFEND ARE SELVES, he put out this press release

so he's a good guy by my reckoning.

i didn't understand that bill at all. literally none of the faculty or school administration supported it and neither did >95% of the students. bunch of wack jobs trying to push their own "freedoms" on people who very much did not want them

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

Los Angeles and San Francisco are suing ride-sharing startup Uber for making misleading statements and breaking California law, the latest in a series of setbacks for the company. In a statement, the two cities' district attorneys say that Uber misled passengers about the effectiveness of its background checks, misrepresented fees for safety checks and airport tolls, operated in airports without permission, and did not get state approval for the system it used to calculate pricing.

"Uber has refused to comply with straightforward California laws that protect consumers from fraud and harm," said district attorneys George Gascón and Jackie Lacey. "These companies can be innovative in the way they deliver services without ignoring the laws that protect the public."

Must be fun for Gascon to have to convince Ed Lee to let him go after one of his buddies.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

good dogs are good. good cats are good. hth

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

The car-service company Uber has allegedly terminated more than a dozen Chicago-based community-support representatives, according to internal emails obtained by the Daily Dot.

Four independent sources say that up to 15 people were fired last Friday for sharing an internal discount code for rides. Uber allegedly called it a “breach of policy.”

[...]

Uber uses a third-party human resources firm, ZeroChaos, to manage contractors. Community-support representatives work for Uber through ZeroChaos, meaning they are employed by the company but don’t receive the benefits that come with being a full-fledged Uber staff member.

It was a ZeroChaos representative who sent the Uber contractors their termination notices. The Daily Dot received copies of the emails. Written in Comic Sans, the letters read, “Your assignment at Uber has ended effective immediately 12/5/14. Please log into the system and enter your final timecard.”

uber is still evil

It's awesome that you can work full-time and companies will STILL find ways to screw you out of benefits.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Also great: Über will move ASAP and terminate 15 contractor employees for using a ride-share discount code, but the executive who threatened to destroy a female journalist for reporting negatively on uber is still employed. I'm going to bet he also gets benefits.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah uber issues drivers car phones because apple won't certify their app for the app store because it's a giant piece of poo poo.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

friend of mine whose husband works for Facebook flew to New Orleans for a "plantation" style wedding got so upset at the way the staff and guests were treating the black servers that she got up and left and everyone got mad at her

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i like the part of the thread where people said that laptops werent portable

there was a time when laptops came with built-in printers because they were so loving huge that why not

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Surge pricing doesn't even do what it's supposed to do anyways. If there's a lot of demand, then the "incentive" to get more drivers out is the fact that if you're a driver, you're more likely to get a fare so more people will start driving anyway.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yo is great because this slew of "one-button" apps really are the wave of the future. I have a different one-button app for everything that I want. So for example if I want to send a message to my friend all I have to do is open my folder for messaging app folders and then go to the folder with the messaging app for the particular message i want to send and then open that and then open the app and then go to their name and then tap it and boom only one click to send a message

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

I'm paying less than that for a 1br in a good building

i'm going to say 'same' and 'holy poo poo that is insane'

I paid $900/mo for a room 2 blocks away from alamo st park and moved into my own place last april and it's still less than what people are paying for a room.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

naice

goddamn am i glad that futurewife didn't end up at ucsf

there's just no way rent would be happening without some idiot roommate or 3

my place is literally a block away from UCSF. my landlord actually rented to me because he wanted someone who'd live in the building for more than a year

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the whole area around UCSF, mostly the inner sunset, is starting to get a lot of notice precisely because it was mostly untouched by the gentrification hitting all the other major SF hoods. so of course everybody is trying to move to the inner sunset as a result

edit: someone did a write-up of hipsters & techies moving to the city, i forget how it was phrased, something like "they move to neighborhoods in search of culture and then push culture out in favor of amenities"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the best part about talking about india and the tech scene is that you can't really say much about 2014 india without sounding a little racist. they unified as far as work ethic goes and now you're a terrible racist if you point out that they have institutionalized academic fraud and a 'do just enough to get paid' culture

they are learning a lot from America

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I dunno, I would be happy with less lascivious "gossip" stuff and more "hosed company" stuff. Valleywag has the right idea and the right target but I definitely think who's loving who, regardless of whether or not it's a perfect microcosm of silicon valley's hosed morals, should be left to its own business so long as it's consensual. Shine all the lights on Uber sexual assaults but Eric Schmidt's sex dungeon I could care less about so long as everything's consensual.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Metrication posted:

i eat my computer every night :)

same but rear end

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

all those kidnapped nigerian girls could use the OLPC laptops to post help messages to Facebook

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

modern corporate structures are anathema to empathy, especially when their CEO has said that not wanting to use your full legal name for everything shows a "lack of integrity"

attn facebook I will be your "chief not-be-a-shithead officer" for $400k salary and $5m in RSU

their full legal name policy would make sense if it was consistent, but when executives let their friends use fake names, you have a problem

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

no, thats me. what are we supposed to do here? recoil in horror? i mean its a loving computer you cant get mad at it for being Rude

it isn't about getting mad at the computer for being rude so much as a bunch of tone-deaf coders who are trying to create a one-size fits all approach to their user base because they're thinking of Facebook users as walking collections of data and not millions of individual human beings, some of whom may have had a terrible year

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

waiting in line for food is dumb as gently caress and the people who do it are more interested in being seen at the venue than they are in the food

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

yeah but for most people facebook is an easy way to live out fairy tale lives devoid of problems. Facebook is just catering to their main user base. people who want to smile like it's all good. it is p sad that guy had to see something like that but what the hell else should they have done lol.

I would have probably coded in something that checks the names/users and posts associated with them for keywords like "cancer" or "death" or "hosed my best friend" and then have it leave that person out of the video

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

what if their year consisted of celebrating the fact that death almost hosed their best friend, but they successfully beat the cancer

see you'd have to manually screen it and fb doesnt want to invest that

it's a lot harder to get mad about the good things that weren't included in your free video than the bad things that were

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

all the tech idiots thinking things will end up more star trek and less brazil is pretty indicative of their lack of exposure to how actual humans act when backed up by unquestionable edicts, regardless of if they are issued by machine or not.

or they all think they will be tuttle.

Star Trek is cool and all but they also have the ability to create matter out of literal thin air and anyone who thinks we're going to have a utopia while capital is still in finite supply has chosen to simply gloss over the single most important piece of technology the show has

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

what, like live in a cube underground in antarctica and use the transporter whenever you want to go out on the town? i think people would still fight over the actual real estate

somehow i doubt people would really care all that much about where they live if they get everything they need for free and can instantly travel anywhere they want to go

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

my dad was in the air force and got pretty mad at me when i turned down a full ride for officer's school, then forgave me when 9/11 happened a few months later

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

"There should be some regulation on the numbers of drivers you allow to Lyft," another commenter wrote. "Otherwise it may seem that you are taking advantage of the fact that we are not paid salaries, and you reap the benefits regardless if it effects us."

gosh

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

and the replacement bridge is quickly turning out to be a poorly-manufactured piece of garbage, I feel safer using BART to cross the bay than drive

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i took my driver's test right before christmas and my driving instructor looked just like santa claus and even said "Ho Ho Ho!" when I passed well that's my driving test story hope you enjoyed it

he also remarked it would have been easier to take the test in an automatic rather than the manual i had but i'm a boss shifter so it was all good

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

books are a marvel of the technological age IMO. they require no power, and all you have to do to gain access to all the data inside is simply gain physical access to the device

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

when I moved the battery to the trunk on my old mustang I put the kill switch behind the license plate which could fold down and I considered putting a spring there to push the plate down if I ever felt like committing crimes

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Bill Gross, the former manager of the world’s largest bond fund, said prices for many assets will fall this year as record-low interest rates fail to restore sufficient economic growth.

With global expansion still sputtering after years of interest rates near zero, investors will gradually seek alternatives to risky assets, Gross wrote today in an investment outlook for Janus Capital Group Inc. (JNS), where he runs the $1.2 billion Janus Global Unconstrained Bond Fund.

“When the year is done, there will be minus signs in front of returns for many asset classes,” Gross, 70, wrote in the outlook. “The good times are over.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-06/gross-says-good-times-are-over-with-markets-set-to-fall.html

come on come on come on come on come on

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

so they won't give it to the tlc

but will use it to stalk you

of course not. god mode is for THEM to play with, not the plebs

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

currently in a burrito coma and can concur

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

"we can't come up with a name for our bleeding-edge brand-new social media company so we'll take the name of a decades-old company that failed."

brilliant. way to convince your base that you're fresh, new and successful, than to license the name of an old, failed company

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i don't care if your fancy train goes under water unless it's lit at the bottom and you can look out the windows and see whales and poo poo like bioshock

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

killing black people is bad, just in case,FYI, etc

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

when this all comes to a head and uber gets charged with tax evasion or workplace safety violations or whatever...what argument will the government use to claim that uber is an employer of taxi drivers and not just a service facilitating like-minded *pffrrrtfrttttt* or whatever they say?

i know that fedex or ups got smoked a while back for claiming that all their drivers were contractors but requiring that they wear a uniform and work specific hours. can uber be hit with that sort of thing for e.g. dropping you as a driver if you don't accept all the fares you get, which i think is a thing they do?

uber's "income guarantees" for drivers where they have to take 90% of pings and do one trip every hour and be available from 9pm to 5am will probably put them much closer to the fedex "these are actually employees" model. I think the fact that uber determines the rates and handles the money might be a part of that as well. i think the government, both federally and locally, has more than enough stuff to come down on uber if they want to, the question is, do they want to?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just love when white people want to explain why others shouldn't be upset over their noble-savage white man's burden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

there is literally nothing offensive about that story aside from the noble-savage angle, and if that really gets you like this, you bunch are wound up too tight.

this is why there aren't more black people in tech

• Locked thread