Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

a nigga who shop h e butt a shameful nigga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

lol i wonder what specific loophole they're trying to exploit requires this

i'd imagine that if drivers start classifying their cars for commercial use, then there might be some increased regulation uber could face, or the increased costs of insurance for commercial vehicles might make it public that the drivers are getting hosed.

the san francisco uber numbers blow my mind, they must include SFO trips or the bay area or something. i know a LOT of people are supposed to be ubering everywhere, it's pretty much "expected" that if you're dating in SF, you send an uber to pick up your date, etc, but i only know two people who use uber, one of them stopped ages ago, and the other only uses it because uber is a sponsor for the organization she works for. anyone i know who gets rides ordered uses lyft or taxis.

re: box:

quote:

Back in July 2014 Box raised $150 million in new funding. More than half of that $150 million will leave the building after nine months of operations.

Now they're doing an IPO, because — no poo poo! — they need more cash!

They aren't going to raise another dime from private investors at the valuation of $2.4 billion, which was the valuation of their last round.

If their revenue is $240 million for the year and their expense is $360 million, losing $120 million – who would invest at that valuation?

Enter the greater fool of investing: The Public Market. Mom and pop, get your orders in with Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan or Credit Suisse for those Box shares. It's a great deal!

http://valleywag.gawker.com/vulture-capitalist-avoid-that-box-ipo-1681322525/+danlyons

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it seems like a billion times easier to build a better transportation system that can move large amounts of people from their pre-determined locations (their neighborhoods) to a centralized city location (their place of work) than it would be to develop and build millions of automated vehicles to replace each individual's driving experience

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

so i went to brunch with my white friend on sunday to some upscale brunch place called "Dottie's" on 6th street which is a whole story in its own, but she tells me about this new bus/uber/lyft alternative called "Chariot" where you pay $4 to hop in a van that has a semi-preselected route but the driver asks what stop you want and if no one wants the transamerican pyramid for example, then they skip it.

so of course this basically just sounds like what bus systems were before they failed as private companies and turned public, but the big selling point for her was that they could instantly get more vans on the road when they needed them, and take them off when they weren't needed. i asked what were they doing with the extra vans and drivers when they aren't needed, she said the workers were doing stuff in the office. i wake up this morning, turns out chariot is storing their extra vans in front of my apartment

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

dotties [the old one in the 'loin] and burma super star were the first places I ever saw people wait in line for an hour for food

laughing at the idea of people standing around on the sidewalk on 6th & market for 90 minutes to eat some eggs

yeah this is dotties moving over from the TL. the food was good enough but honestly i've had stuff that was just as good from a local diner for $10 and no line. watching a line full of dottie's patrons ignore all the homeless folks around them while waiting for brunch just left a bad taste in my mouth

and apparently chariot just opened a cole valley route yesterday which is why they're staging on my block. i'm gonna guess part of their business model is staging vans in random people's neighborhoods until folks complain, then they stage somewhere else

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

1980 was when Americans had a chice between jimmy "it's time to tighten our belts and make tough decisions" carter and Ronald "gently caress that we have credit and can bomb brown people" Reagan, and we chose the easy way out

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

this kid from kazakhstan wandered into my bar today, didn't know how to tip, and asked me "so do you program java or c++ or what?"

this bubble needs to go

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just started a job at a museum in SF so now I wear slacks and ties and have meeting about delegating tasks but tbf it's nice to work somewhere where your decisions matter and I realized defining myself by not having to dress up is loving dumb I just wanted to never work for a lovely corporation but I'm happy to dress up as management for a museum

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it is raining in San Francisco right now, SF sucks, shut it down

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

why even have a tech industry if elon musk isn't coding an app to disrupt the rain cycle do it only rains when it is convenient for my schedule this is bullshit

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

isn't that basically a "coffee shop" minus "person who makes you coffee"?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I can't imagine uber would give out tax advice. they'd either lose drivers by admitting how terrible it is for them, or they'd encourage people to cheat and then be on the line for it

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

uptime is king. the museum where I work uses PayPal in the gift shop (lol I know) and their stuff went down for a little while yesterday and cost us several sales as a result. you might have 99% uptime but if that 1% is when the shop is trying to make a sale, that's enough for them to ask me about other POS options

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

nerds are great. techies are poo poo

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

oh hey an Uber for ambulances. why the gently caress not

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

you didn't even mention the part where Waffle House is offering itself as a location for "package" handoffs

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

usually package handoffs happen in the alley behind the waffle house

I guess the ceo wants to utilize social media synergies to capitalize on existing social transactions on his premises

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

was wondering why every burrito place in soma has a line out the door at 2pm and saw the GDC badges everywhere. as if we don't already have enough nerds around

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

lol at Uber's plummeting value when drivers realize they're getting hosed and bail, leaving the new immigrants to take over the job just like last time

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

yeah it's literally the difference between your kid going into a public place by themselves vs getting a stranger's car and driving away

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

rent control that covers only a part of the housing stock is bullshit.

SF rent control was an emergency stop of mass evictions that property owners were doing when prop 13 passed and owners realized they could kick everyone out then sit on the properties then they made it permanent because every time it looks like rent control is going to relax, property owners immediately gear up to start mass evictions again

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

every time I see a craigslist roommate ad it makes the rent I pay for my own place feel that much more reasonable

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the convenience store is right next to my laundromat so I just pick up more detergent there when I run out, seems pretty easy

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just saw a Ted Cruz for president poster on 3rd and mission, it is time to burn SF to the ground

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I am patiently waiting for twitter to die so the poors can take back mid-market and annex eNema

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

"the country will be better when old people all die off" -everyone since 1970

advances in medicine are delaying the inevitable but we will one day see the great boomer die-off

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

even that I find less concerning than the presidents of voting machine companies promising republicans they'll deliver swing states to them

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

this is the new fuckedcompany.com

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I too wish to disconnect my house from a regular power supply and onto batteries for a large cost with no benefit

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

the founders of this house are offering a value proposition

could that dude be any more up his own rear end

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

that doesn't make sense to me, why would they get cute with Quebec taxes? it can't be a big amount of money for them, and they have more important legal brinkmanship to perform.

habitual line steppers

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Gen X won't ever be in charge of poo poo because boomers will sit on everything and then pass it over to millenials like how queen Elizabeth is never gonna give the throne to Charles but is just waiting until William is old enough

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

of course 94110 is the mission district. of course it is

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just finished a project with sfmoma and most of their "install team" are AAU grads who have just moved to the mission and brag about living there like there's something special about riding the coat tails of gentrifiers

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

"yeah I just moved to the mission it's where all the artists live right now" (all the artists have since relocated to lake Merritt and marfa, hth)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

also 94122 forever. got free beer and a paycheck to spend yesterday chucking drunk bay to breakers folks out of my local pub. sorry bruh but if you can't get your ID out of your wallet without drunkstepping to the right then you ain't gettin in

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

throwing white people out during b2b was a life highlight. this one woman got so mad at me she stood by the mailbox next to where I was posted and yelled at me for an hour about how she was definitely not too drunk to get in at 2pm on a Sunday

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

what does the sfmoma install team do? move exhibits around?

pretty much. sfmoma has a huge collection so when they agree to share pieces with you they send over their own folks to install it

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Local LEOs lick Leap, lawyers lean in to litigate looming loss:

http://m.sfgate.com/business/article/Leap-Transit-shut-down-by-the-state-for-operating-6276298.php

leap has left the building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

i wanna take an overnight train from CA to like seattle or vancouver then do a lil vaca then fly back

I did this. train from SF to Portland then Seattle then Vancouver. train back. met two tattoo artists and got shitfaced with them in the lounge car and filmed them tattooing each other at 2am. owns bones. you can't get that poo poo on an airplane

• Locked thread