Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was always surprised whenever people would move down to the south and be white around old white folks and get exposed for the first time to the frankly ridiculous racial slurs of yesteryear like "moon cricket"

it was surprising b/c they wouldn't know for sure what their cranky old neighbor meant by calling the mailman a "spook" but could still always infer it thru context and ask someone like me to confirm it for them

also this requires being around old racists with no compunction over saying anything in front of other presumed racists

racists in cities know better than to say that poo poo so most of it flies under the radar for folks who are white but not actively racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

it cant just be better than people because the manufacturer is going to liable when the car hits someone

its one thing if i drive a chevy into someone, its another when a chevy drives itself into someone

self driving car manufacturers are solving the low hanging fruit of highly trafficed dense areas with bountiful mapping, but the car itself isnt at the point where it can make decisions when a bunch of cones are blocking chunks of roadway while all the markings have been power washed off

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is the part that bugs the hell outta me since they just decided to brute force a solution to the problem

there isnt a solution tho

the actual solution is, "when confronted with an entirely new situation, the vehicle needs to make a decision about how to handle it with all details available" and instead programmers are just trying to stuff the code with examples for it to follow instead of actual intelligence

you need an actual AI for a self-driving car and you cant fake that

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

A computer can make a decision without that it just might not be right

this changes quite a bit when the manufacturer is financially liable for that wrong decision

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

hero material

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

my guess would be new-driver incentives to offset the churn

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

you don't learn the rules of the road by crashing your car a few times and performing deductive inference on the actions that were most likely responsible for said crashes then adjust your probabilistic behaviour model on the basis of that.

you learn the rules of the road by reading the drat rule book and then following it by default, unless somebody around you is acting like a jackass and you need to improvise some actions to avoid damage to your vehicle or your body.

a self driving car should at minimum be programmed with the regulations for the areas in which it needs to operate, including things like whether you're allowed to turn right on red at this particular city/intersection or not or whatever pennsyltucky redneck bullshit a "pittsburgh left" is, this is hardly the sort of thing that requires strong ai.

ok but now the left turn that's been programmed to be available between 3pm and 6pm is not available because of a funeral procession and the cop is waving people past the intersection and woops your car just drove into the cop guess youre getting hosed

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I bet you could get around this with a DMCA

i don't think any single person taking photos of lombard street cares enough about what SF actually is to know a hashtag, other than cable cars and coit tower and maybe fisherman's wharf

edit: and grant avenue, which is funny to walk down because it's basically a tourist chinatown one block over from actual chinatown

chinatown was designed and built by white people after mass relocating all the chinese people from their desirable land after the earthquake so nothing new there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

we 86ed a guy from my local bar for being an obnoxious libertarian. first we told his friend to stop bringing him around (we liked the friend), then the dude hit on one of the bartenders and grabbed her car keys when she wasnt looking so we used that as the official reason to drop the hammer

• Locked thread