Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

exploded mummy posted:

join us in two weeks for when a senator drives down a sidewalk and running down people an masse

didnt a kennedy on ambien already basically do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Significant Ant posted:

I wonder how many black people live in this neighborhood

nah thats a north/south division. in austin all the brown people were redlined to east of interstate 35 so the east-west divisions are the racial ones. this is just old white people who hate change vs young white people who want to live in a dense and walkable neighborhood.

you wouldn’t use a gate to keep brown people out when you already have an interstate highway doing a great job. the more west you go the whiter it gets, until you finally at the very end get to the neighborhood where i grew up and its the whitest of all (westlake).

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

when i was in high school they put up a fence that blocked the quickest route to our physics classroom to try to help the grass grow.

a friend of mine cut it down with a sawzall in the middle of the night *four separate times* and they eventually stopped trying to put it back up.

the physics teacher would take parts of the fence wreckage and put it in his backpack as a joke attempt to frame him for it because he talked about it all the time at school but no one actually punished him but it was a running joke among the students and teachers for years, thats how white the neighborhood i grew up in was.

one time the westlake (local) pd found my brother and some friends setting fire to a washing machine in the middle of a the street on residential cul de sac and the police just laughed and told them to get lost because the county sheriff had also got a call about the fire and was on the way too, and wouldn’t just laugh it off.

you cant get much whiter than that, when the local cops tell you to go away because the real cops are coming too.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Those are for commons fees. None of them have any enforcement power over what you do with your property beyond attaching a lien if you don't pay your commons fees. They can't tell you how to mow your lawn or what color to paint your house.

I used to live at a condominium in Scott Township with a roommate, called Virginia Mansions. As owners retired many quit paying commons fees for lack of funds. The condo board had no legal recourse other than attaching a lien in the event of a future sale of the property.

around here they can foreclose on you if you dont pay fees and fines, and force sale. sucks but you agree to it when you move in.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

where the hell do you live that the city doesn’t pay for public pools, landscaping all over the city and other public services? my city has several public pools, some of them with large olympic-sized swimming pools and of course they are heavily subsidized and ultimately paid for by raising taxes. they are great. tickets are generally around 4 bucks, half that for children and people receiving welfare. public schools regularly go there so every child can learn to swim for free.

having a city that offers amenities like that to its citizens fosters a feeling of community and ownership. it also makes larger scale projects, like a decent public transport, possible. it isn’t unfair at all to pay for that. on the other hand, outsourcing these services to private entities is extremely unfair because you can bet that even if a poor community has a hoa, they won’t be able to raise that sort of money.

many new construction neighborhoods start off outside the city paying for their own private pool and landscaping through an HOA or a MUD. then when the city annexes them in the future the city and the hoa have to work out of the hoa stays around and pays for the pool and it remains private, or if they give the pool to the city and allow public access in echange for not footing the whole bill through just that neighborhoods hoa.

this doesnt affect existing public infrastructure like city pools not inside the original area the hoa covered.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Greatbacon posted:

My uncle complains about the college kids who moved into the house from his and all the cars parked on the street that come with it. His primary agitation is that now he has to pay attention when he backs out of the driveway in his F350.

my four friends who live in a 3500 sqft mcmansion in the burbs have six cars and 2 motorcycles. the neighbors probably hate them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

meatpotato posted:

why on earth would the tax code protect landlords from the market price that is crazy :piss:

if it didnt then they wouldnt be out there creating jobs!

fishmech posted:

Sounds pretty dumb. If someone wants to build a proper 50 story residential or office skyscraper I don't think it should have to have token storefronts/token condos

actually mixed use is good and requiring it makes your city better to live in.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

Hmm no it sounds like you're from some sort of overgrown suburb where sticking a retail shop on a 2 story building makes a difference.

Street level retail in a 50 story tower is just silly to insist on

actually it makes it a lot more desirable as office or residence

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i live in a 44 story building and there are a bunch of 30-40 floor buildings within a block. all of then have ground floor retail and the ones built in the 1980s that dont are busy remodeling their giant 1980s atria into retail or a parking lot for food trucks or whatever. mixed use is good and makes an area more walkable and more desirable.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

That's the key. Most. There's plenty of buildings that don't bother to have any and are strictly single purpose. It's hardly harmful to not have it.

Especially because there will often be something right nearby that's wholly given over to the retail eg most of the new Wtc site is dedicated offices because there's also a big ol underground mall facility that's not part of any one building

office buildings without ground floor retail contribute to dead streets without pedestrians. no one wants to live near an office building that offers nothing for its neighbors. thats how you end up with dead cbds and inner cities where no one wants to be.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

You're talking about your garbage suburb. This isn't true in actual cities.

i am in the cbd of a city with two million people right now, and i have lived in manhattan. the areas without ground floor retail or use after office hours are the areas that no one wants to go to after office hours are over. encouraging and requiring ground floor retail is good.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Butt posted:

"Come to Austin! We hope to have an economy as good as Cleveland some day!'

gdp per capita of austin: 58,108
gdp per capita of pittsburgh: 59,289

that's a 2% difference, its almost like pittsburgh's population is 15% bigger and that leads to a 15% gdp or something.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

huh well i guess that makes sense. their sales floor people are also really helpful with getting you what you need when you only have a vague idea of it like they hooked me up with an obscure power cable type for an old cassette deck just recently

whats with your brain and the inability to comprehend that "not every building has stores" does not mean "absolutely no buildings have retail or anything else that operates outside banker's hours"

there is no reason to require ground floor retail for every building, it's generally not needed to be in every building. normal humans are able to handle walking a whole 150 feet to get to a store that's, shock, horror, in the building next door.

also there lol austin doesn't have 2 million people unless you count people 60 miles away

The more buildings have ground floor retail and other things, the better it is to live and work in that area, which is why it should be encouraged.

I don't think you need to have it in every building and I never said that it should be required in every building - you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

whoa look at this horrible neighborhood where no one could possibly want to live, there's at least two buildings that are just housing!! must be full of muggings and completely unwalkable. you have to be outside a whole 200 foot walk to get to a store.

it's a wonder it hasn't exploded!

i would absolutely avoid walking down that street late at night if there was an alternative within a block or so that had more pedestrian traffic. do you see how this makes that area less desirable now?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

uh, you said:

if that ain't what you mean why'd the hell would say it?

if you read carefully i didnt say every building should have ground floor retail, because it obviously depends on the situation. manhattan is not a city that needs to encourage pedestrian culture, so it wouldnt make sense there. many other cities that grew a lot from 1950-1990 may have had laws discouraging mixed use development that they’re trying to reverse. requiring it in every building in a whole city is an extreme case that probably doesnt make sense, but thats what zoning is *for*. encouraging land use that is desirable and discouraging land use that is bad for the city as a whole. there are plenty of places where requiring retail in new commercial or residential buildings makes a city better, and adding zoning requirements for it in some areas is probably a great tool for that.

fishmech posted:

that area is so "less desirable" that the average condo sale in that block and the other nearby blocks that are pretty much the same is on the order of $750k-$1 mil for a 1 bedroom. lmao

you're so trained by living in a bland city with nothing to recommend it that you can only comprehend wanting to be near something if there is something to buy immediately in your face.

only a deranged texan would say that a nice apartment in gramercy park is undesirable because you need to walk down to the street corner to get to the pharmacy, or the french-african fusion bistro, or the north Indian bar and cafe.

vast swathes of the nice parts of manhattan are like this - the middle of the street blocks tend to be dedicated to one thing or another, while the avenue facing sides and corners tend to have the street level retail. and its perfectly safe and fine to walk down the middle of the blocks to get between avenues.

it works perfectly well because there isnt really that much demand for retail and restaurants and such that can't be met this way. if you tried to rip out some of the street level offices or housing in the middle of the block you're not likely to pull enough business for that to be worthwhile

i have lived in manhattan, as i have already mentioned. you dont beed to explain to me that apartments in manhattan are expensive.

most parts of manhattan have plenty of ground floor retail within a block and plenty of outside of business hours usage, so they arent good examples of areas where requiring or encouraging it would be a high priority. this seems obvious but here we are.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 29, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

I saw the starkest poverty I've ever seen in my life when I worked in DFW.

how so? homeless people or poor suburbs? dallas and houston both have huge areas of poor suburbs because they love to build exurbs to keep prices down.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

also lol calling it "encouraging pedestrian culture" like you're some sort of space alien.

if you get involved with city planning even offer stakeholder input for city planning you may encounter unfamiliar phrases. dont let it frighten you.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

"i don't think buildings should have to have it but i think it should be required" lmao

and yeah so you pretend you lived in manhattan, but you claim that location is "undesirable" because you couldn't immediately see retail on that short stretch of street. lol texas rots your mind

i don't see whats so hard for you to get here: in no place should street level retail be required for any given building. it is perfectly fine to have single purpose buildings. insistence that it should ever be required betrays that you're too used to cities that have nothing going for them (i.e. any place in texas) so you would desperately attempt to fake a working neighborhood by requiring the new buildings to have some retail space that will probably end up vacant often. because you want to cargo cult a real city that deserves to exist

there are plenty of places where requiring it makes perfect sense. why don’t you try re-reading my earlier post more carefully.

i lived in chelsea, on 25th street between 7th and 8th ave. nice neighborhood with lots of desirable ground floor shops and places to eat. go down to the financial district and it sucks. new york may not want to make the financial district a pedestrian friendly place after hrs, and thats fine, but lots of other cities have neighborhoods that they’d like to make more pedestrian friendly and requiring ground floor retail, or at least offering incentives, makes a lot of sense in many many places. this is the whole purpose of zoning, encouraging one type of development over another.

lots of cities exist outside of manhattan. if you are only familiar with that one city, maybe you should travel more and see some other cities. then you might recognize that they dont all have the same needs, right now that seems to be confusing you.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

this was a thing that surprised me when I visited a friend in Austin a few months ago. he was straight up living in the suburbs with a 30 minute commute to downtown but was still somehow in the city limits of Austin.

annexing surrounding areas is one thing that texas does well, so you dont end up with tiny cities with many different municipal governments that have to cooperate to get anything done on a larger scale, it does result in some pretty far out suburbs technically being part of the city, but it also rolls their tax revenue into the city budget.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

its a dumb solution that doesn't work and just gets you a bunch of empty retail storefronts eyesoring up the place

this worship of having a place to buy things as magically making people want to shop at whatever store will actually set up there, if any, as the solution to living in a place like texas is hilarious cargo culting

that's funny, i thought austin, a city that prioritizes mixed use development, had record commercial occupancy and record numbers of people moving there each day.

but you're probably right and that's all making it a less attractive place to live.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when i look up my salary on glassdoor it looks like the same job in the bay area pays p much the same, mostly within 1-2%. maybe it is different for web stuff.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unless you work in a high-demand white collar job, wages don't vary that much across the country. median incomes in nyc are only about 15% higher than the national average, despite a much higher cost of living.

if you are a software developer or a financial analyst or something, the wages shoot up. if you are a mechanic or a toad sexer, not so much.

i am doing computer hardware design. seems like a p bay area type job.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A CMU spinoff did this to me. They asked me what I currently make. When I said that my current salary wasn't relevant, only what I was worth to them, I was told that they only pay 3% over current salary, no exceptions. I laughed at them and hung up.

just say current +25% or so and laugh all the way to the bank.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok so that will mostly work, except that 99% of the purpose of a "background check" is HR's attempt to prevent you from doing this. i have repeatedly had to provide W2s and poo poo to "background check" companies. they are shameless about salary verification.

the same idiot HR drones who want to filter out every applicant with a salary demand will work hard to filter out post-decision candidates who "lied" about prior salaries, only on the second time around, it's a life or death matter for the HR drones

i don't think i have ever provided actual proof of income, guess i have been lucky. i know my former employers aren't going to help competitors do salary research so if someone actually asked for a W-2 I'd probably stop talking to them right there.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ArmZ posted:

lol if anyone asks you for a w2 and you give it to them

yeah if people want to see your tax records they need a specific form to request them from the IRS. I am 100% sure I have never given anyone permission to see that except my CPA.

Maybe an old employer would say something, but that seems really dumb for a company to do, so I doubt it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

lmao @ the intel guy claiming his back salary has never been posted, dude equifax dumped your secrets

my last background check had my final salary there to the penny. i was not in ready possession of this information to give it.

could be. just looked back at the packet they sent me and it didnt have any salary info, did have criminal background check from every address in the last decade tho. i guess maybe they didnt send it to me, idk.

i somehow wasnt in the leaks recently either.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hifi posted:

you've never had a car with frameless windows?

The automatic window dropping only happens on some newer cars with frameless windows.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

the UAE has to try really hard to get the rich natives to be cops and they have lambos and poo poo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

haveblue posted:

is this a euphemism

you are thinking of the amazon treasure *trail*

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
as a white guy my dick is more pink than white :colbert:

a white dick would look like some kind of ghost dick, imho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this video made my cats 😡 angry 😤

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

they want to be this person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJjDLnZ5ZA

it's the exact same mindset that makes people buy a handgun and walk around itching for someone ta start sumthin'

they're certainly useful tools but lol if you think at least some people buying them don't jack off at night about sending a non-technical woman to jail for cutting them off on the highway

actually dash cams are good for insurance claims if you dont drive like a jerk.

mine came in handy. they didnt ask for it but when i said i had it the inaurance companies just shut up and paid out.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cis autodrag posted:

Belgium is the best francophone country because no one was a dick to me there. Paris was rude as hell.

mrs kwinkles and i went to paris and no one was rude to us. they did stop us from trying to french at them and switch to english pretty quickly but i don't remember anyone being actually rude.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
ride the subway in paris for a bit and you can really see how there were race riots though! get out of the nice part of town for a second and the ethnic makeup really changes. austin is p white and still has a lot of racial and economic segregation because of redlining but paris was 100x more obvious about it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lancemantis posted:

I know a guy that takes his family to Paris annually and has been staying in an apartment for the trip since before that was the cool thing; I’m pretty sure, judging from social media about it, that he’s a Francophile and it’s basically him cosplaying being a cosmopolitan Parisian every year

to be fair doesn't being a french cosplayer just mean that he eats a bunch of cheese and wine? sounds like a good rear end week to me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
The most yospos data acquisition accessory:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/with-ingestible-pill-you-can-track-fart-development-in-real-time-on-your-phone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

2008 2018 is only nine days old but i think we have strong early contender for worst tech news headline of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17B_uFF4cA

get ready for mercedes that are mad at their dads

• Locked thread