Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just learned today that not only does my company pack AdBlock Plus for IE into all of their images, but we have a script that runs on startup that installs uBlock on Chrome and Firefox if you've installed it. It is now literally less convenient to use Youtube on my mobile phone than it is to watch youtube videos at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i just saw that HBO is airing a documentary on Sunday called "San Francisco 2.0" that seems to be half wanking the great and wonderful nerd technofuture society and half light-handed "b-but what about gentrification!"

might be worth watching and taking a drink any time anyone says "paradigm" idk

As part of our new upgrade paradigm, San Francisco's version number will be incremented by 1 each time a new Googler moves in.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I tried to start a hashtag once. Nobody paid any attention. Celebrities never respond to my tweets because I think tey are afraid of my handle. Whelp, that's my twitter story.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember when live journal peeps constantly didn't Realize that their blogs were completely public and searchable? At least most never has their real name on there

this is how i found out an ex-girlfriend was cheating on me constantly

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

yarp

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

sucks you weren't an adequate lover, op

eh, it was more the "high school kid's girlfriend goes to college, he naively thinks that there's a reality where that could possibly go well" story. eh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

now they want to expand the targeted ads to TV.

of course the example is car ads but can you imagine how horrific this will be once political groups get their hands on it?

I don't understand why the concept of "commercial breaks" hasn't died completely. The only poo poo I watch live is sports. Everything else is DVR. The only ads I see are the ones that the TV channel shamelessly places for their own shows over the top of the screen.

Given we're working with a 16:9 screen these days, I'd honestly rather see shows go back to filling their whole timeslot and just having ads come in and out on one edge with a "click OK for more information" prompt (I have uverse, which already has that tech available for regular commercials). I get more TV, the advertisers are assured that I actually saw their ad and didn't fast forward through it, the screen real-estate is enough that it's not that obtrusive. The TV channels are already popping up ads for their own content over the screen anyway.

TV as it exists now just isn't sustainable because nobody is watching commercials anymore.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

my realtor owned but yeah there are loads of super scummy ones out there

We went through 3 when we bought our house because the first one wouldn't stop making jokes about "women's work" and the second one would insist on going up the stairs before us so he could stare down my wife's shirt. 3rd guy was awesome, and after we closed he gave us (I poo poo you not) his mix CD of Carly Rae Jepsen remixes that he plays when he DJs at the local gay club, then invited us to his next set. I love where I live sometimes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
how are chip cards even supposed to be more secure?

target's new card readers make you use the chip slot for chip cards, but i haven't been forced to create a pin or sig, so functionally it's been identical to just swiping the card. doesn't seem any more secure to me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EVGA Longoria posted:

the security is that a magstrip basically just stores the number and sends it off, so if you skimmed one you could create a new card with that number on it and have a duplicate cc. emv stores it on the chip and (i think) uses asym encryption to sign it, so you can't just clone the card. the pin is more secure than that since the data is encrypted and the pin decrypts it (i think??)

the signature part is still bs and garbage, they're supposed to visually inspect every transaction and card to insure it's legit but nobody does this

All the chip cards I was sent still have the magstrips though. Is the idea that eventuallly the swipe readers will just go away?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so basically i have to get all new cards so my great grandchildren can be safer from fraud? kool.

i don't care, really. I'm shredding all my CCs this weekend. Leveraged my newly shiny debt-to-income ratio to refi all my credit cards into a personal loan with 1/3 the interest and I am closing all those fuckers. I can't trust myself with credit cards, even when I have enough cash to pay them every month. I'm keeping 1 around for transactions where I don't trust the vendor (online purchases and such) and that's it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Muscle Tracer posted:

people get legitimately angry when you ask to see their credit card, probably because nobody takes it seriously and just draws an x or a smiley face

and loads of people for some reason think that if you don't sign the card, but instead just show your license with its signature to compare to the signature on the receipt, that's better in some way

it is the dumbest poo poo

when i worked retail, everyone wrote "see id" on their cards. if they were nice, id just go with it. if they were a dick, i called over the manager to explain to them that their card wasnt valid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Munkeymon posted:

closing all your credit accounts will actually hurt your fico score, just fyi

I know. We worked with a loan officer at our credit union and her estimate was that my score would drop maybe 15 points, and since I'm at 745 now, that doesn't really worry me. I own my house, we own our cars, and I can't trust my self with cards so I'm going to just remove the temptation altogether.

I still have plenty of other types of credit open so it won't be as bad as if I just went off the grid altogether.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

share some fashionable friendship debt-slavery bracelets with the awful sycophants that still can stand to be near you https://medium.com/@alizauf/rainbow-binary-debt-friendship-bracelets-24b04caf3479

To help us remember which color corresponded with each number, we used the good ol’ ROY G BIV order of the rainbow. So Red = 1, Orange = 2, Yellow = 4, Green = 8, Blue = 16, Violet = 32. (We skipped Indigo, because what is Indigo, really? Does anyone know?)
We also have a white bracelet that one person wears when they are in debt to the other person.

so its a bracelet for weird assholes who are like "no, i only ate 4 of those cheese curds so i won't take 25% of them on my check"?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Verdafolio posted:

had a friend who had several shifts canceled in a row and was so anxious about being able to make rent they vomited from anxiety.

apparently this was a regular enough occurrence that they had memorized when exactly the landlord picks up the payment to when they actually cashed it to determine how many days of slack they had to make up shifts.

now i tip 25%

i worked garbage service jobs for so long, now that i have a real job i tip 20bux minimum regadless of the bill, because i know at least half the server's other tables are going to gently caress them on tips.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

prefect posted:

didn't they do a study where they had a no-tipping restaurant and the people who got the angriest about it were jerky guys who liked controlling the amount of money waitresses could make?

Ya. I stopped being friends with a guy when I was out to dinner with a group of friends and he kept announcing each time he was deducting $1 from his tip for each perceived slight on the part of the waitress. Fucker was the reason I started having to do BYOB for my parties too, because I used to just get kegs and the fucker would just stuff himself full of the free beer until his stomach visibly bulged and there wasn't enough beer left for anyone else to get drunk.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Broken Machine posted:

software in the medical field is almost universally terrible due mostly to the barriers to entry and how they're sourced, billed. If you go to a modern hospital, even an excellent one they're still going to be doing things like running some tests on win 98 machines and charging at least a few hundred for the privilege. Someone should fix that, it'd be a good way to make money but it'd be boring. It would be sweet if hospitals had modern systems and doctors with nice tablets and apps, but in a lot of cases they're working with really poor digital tools and paper records.

good software exists. the biggest problem is that ceos and cfos want to see ROI on poo poo and since IT doesn't directly make them money they don't give a gently caress. i've seen hospitals where some nurse who knows how to click through a couple system config wizards is suddenly the primary it person. see hughmorris in the cavern of cobol for living proof of that poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

also I would love to work for a clod provider like aws or azure on developing centralized integration for all major EMRs so 3rd parties can use that single clod integration endpoint to get federated access to any EMR. basically abstract away all the proprietary integration problems. so hire me please and thank you.

shaggar, you are describing an HIE. there are a lot of them. the reason they don't work is that every vendor is too busy dickwaving about how their competitors aren't open and don't support standards by funding and propping up HIEs that only they interact with and then yelling at the press that nobody's supporting this OPEN STANDARD.

the reality is that every EMR has been able to talk to each other through HL7/X12 forever and now FHIR. They just don't have any reason to because not sharing records encourages the stragglers in markets they dominate to move to their platform. I've even heard rumours from folks who come here for training from sites that ditched Cerner for us that Cerner writes it into sales contracts which HIEs their customers are allowed to send records through. like, seriously nobody in healthcare gives one gently caress about the patients except for the nurses who actually interact with people directly for more than 5 minutes at a time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

detroit posted:

yeah but this requires both systems to have each other set up as an end-point where information can flow in and out of. so each health system needs to know about all other health systems/hies/whatever on the "network" where they might want to send/receive data, set up each one individually, and hope the people on the other end have done the same. sounds like a pain and a tough sell to the board, given how much the consultants and vendors will gouge you on the price for implementation + maintenance

outside of the few standardized things (dx, allergies and maybe med hx?) there's not much you can send that would be particularly useful. unless you want to send some doc's gibberish notes and hope the md on the receiving end can make sense of them... at which point, why not just fax the thing?

what im saying is, healthcare is dumb and so is computer

not quite. most HIEs have record discovery services. the end-points don't need to know about each other. they just send the patient's demographics to the HIE with a "got any records" message and the HIE either has an index of all patients who have records in any of the connected systems or a way to ping those systems for records.

and hypothetically a lot more than what you list could be shared and could save a lot of lives (patients presenting in EDs with poo poo that seems simple but turns out to be more complex if the doctors had just had the complete records and 20 minutes to review them). Like, all those "mystery diagnosis show" type situations would never happen if:
A)Doctors bothered to learn to use their loving software correctly
2)Vendors would stop playing politics with connecting to HIEs and just loving share their records via the very robust standards that already exist.
Gamma) C*Os would loving shell out for their IT people to make 1 and B happen.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
but as I said, patient care is like, at most, number 10 on the list of things that healthcare executives in the US perceive their orgs' mission to be.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

most HIEs are hosed by default cause of their policies around who can connect. The Shaggar HIE would only require agreements between parties communicating thru the HIE and the HIE would stay out of it.

and then none of the major vendors would allow connections to you because you're not paying their stupid protection money and locking out their competitors. I mean, I guess we would, but our CEO is miss frizzle and literally wants every loving medical computer on the planet connected and talking in real time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JawnV6 posted:

remember when the height of computer mischief was faxing a loop of paper

i love explaining the concept of blacksheeting to the yungins

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

it's a Sebring

one of the tier 2 IT monkeys at my old school once told me that his dream car was a sebring convertible. his reason was "it's perfectly adequate, and sometimes you can put the top down. why would you spend more money than that?"

this same person also told me that he doesnt understand decorating your bedroom. all you do is sleep in there, and decorations in other rooms are pointless too because you should be focused on doing whatever it is you're in that room to do.

this is chryslers target market.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i thought we were talking about a car not a whole garage, yeah if you're filling a building it's gonna take forever.

Yeah, most car exhaust suicides are of the "run a hose from the tailpipe through a cracked window" variety, essentialy c02 hotboxing yourself. A friend attempted suicide that way and was unconscious and nearly dead when we found him. It's definitely possible to kill yourself with car exhaust, you just have to be a bit more deliberate about it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol. dont tell this guy about all the tier2 comptuer janitors who call themselves "unix architects" or what-the-fuckever because they hooked up the plumbing on a couple of dr servers one time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

evertbody makes a gofundme for medical stuff now and ive seen a lot of ppl make them for nose jobs n poo poo lol which i think is epic hell bb more power 2 u

trans people pioneered this years ago by stripping idiot pervs of their money via web cam to pay for operations.

this is no less gross than that, but i support any woman who wants to strip gross men of their money.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ugh yeah there always seems to be straight girls when I went to my old local gay bar who are there because it's one of their birthdays or a bachelorette party or something and get drunk and loud and try to grope the twinks. one time one of them was so drunk she got up on a table and started stripping and trying to hump the bar back.

how do i know they weren't just lesbians or bi? because they made a note of going "OH WE'RE NOT LESBIANS WE'RE JUST HERE FOR JULIE'S BIRTHDAY PARTY" really loud several times.

not that it's a common occurrence but I did know someone irl who wanted gay babies because yaoi.

wtf, whats wrong with people. i've been to gay bars and drag shows a bunch of times with friends (la cage in milwaukee is great), but we just order drinks, talk to people, and dance our butts off. why would you go out of your way to emphasize how loving straight you are in a gay bar? jesus christ.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol i never got to see the original fishmech rap sheet until now

That's our fishmech :allears:

someone link dis fool to the fishmech gaschamber thread. there's a few d&d trolls i'd love to see get that treatment. ironically, my main mec ain't one of them.

Thanks City of Glompton for the glorious sig

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
http://www.cagepotato.com/lets-talk-about-dude-wipes-for-a-minute/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

what happens if i accidentally use dude wipes on my baby? is it dangerous?

apparently they're literally just baby wipes that smell like axe, so either your baby will get all the stank rear end hos, or your baby wil have a terrifying allergic reaction

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I had never heard of warby parker before this conversation, but I am definitely getting my next pair of glasses thurr

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

I didn't know who they were either but after looking at their site I guess they make ugly glasses?

itt i learn shaggar has no fashion sense

and i liked you, guy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

i got to the training, it wanted me to pair pleasant and unpleasant. the word diamond came up, I tried to link it with unpleasant, got a red 'x', closed the tab cause the test was flawed

:smug:

I did the same thing. Diamonds are so tacky.

I finished the test though and it set "you have a slight preference for african american children". There has to be a better way to phrase that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

You're not an engineer unless failure of your work means people die

actually i work on insurance software, so success of my work means people die.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

I feel like middle managers have really latched onto this idea when selling the open office concept.

I think the biggest grip most people had with cubicles was the drab uniformity of it, I was in one office where they had some nice complimenting colors (some collection of 70s looking orange, blue and green) for their cube walls and it was nice. Just something to mix it up a bit, I think the color pieces were even modular, you could snap in different ones... I mean how much more does that cost really to have some ability to personalize your space

And any huge open floor with cubes is going to be depressing because it'll remind you that you're just another 5 figgy fucktard along with the other 300 people working in an abandoned strip mall.

A not-depressing office layout is a moderately sized building thats been tastefully decorated with decent looking cubes. But thats harder to layout, and harder expand and shrink (shrinking can be just as bad as expanding, it looks super bad to walk into an office and see 90% of the cubes empty... but if its open office, turn those empty desks into a "meeting area" problem solved). So management doesn't pay for it, and they sell poo poo like "increased communication" and "startup feel" to the morons that have to work in it.

All these tech companies are loaded with money, so I don't know why they don't just do how we do. We have 14 buildings (with more going up) so it's private offices for everyone, with a maximum of 2 people per office when there's a lot of hiring and we don't have new buildings up yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

I'd work pretty much anywhere where I got a private office

All mine baby:

it's about 12'x12', not bad for a five-figgie fucktard. Any big company not providing this is just being cheap so they can pocket more money for the zuckmeister or whatever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my office door locks and the glass wall looking onto the hallway has blinds

been thinkin about gettin one of those surface transducer speakers for the glass but i'm p sure that it would also blast sick beats into the hallway

There's a guy who walks around here with a 80s-style boombox on his shoulder blasting sick beats sometimes. No idea what his deal is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

do you do h-1bs

yeah. although we apparently burn through our whole allotment of visas in q1 every year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Syncopated posted:

if not star trek, what tv show will future pedophiles like then i wonder

anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This is like that article about online gaming and women that postulated that A players were welcoming and B/C level players were terrible to women because it represented yet more competition for them to overcome. They could actually be lower in rankings because more women joined who were better.

its almost like the entire history in sex discrimination is men trying to maintain a position of privilege that they stumbled into without having any inherent abilities that warrant it.

• Locked thread