Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i would 100% lose my poo poo if someone brought a dog to the office

we have one dog that essentially keeps working hours in the office, and another one that used to come in on fridays but i think he died. he was friendly. the one that lives in the office barks at me a lot.

did you know that san francisco has more pet dogs in the city limits than human beings under the age of 18?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Thank you! :)

this is how i end my pushy business emails when someone delays a response to me

unff

i find a pro thing to do when ending an email requesting something is to pre-emptively thank them for helping b/c people often then feel like a jerk if they say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why arent you asleep hp, don't you have work tomorrow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

a corollary to the "don't rent to college students" rule is "don't rent from people that rent to college students"

the house next door to my dad's place sold to a college slumlord who turned it into probably-illegal apartments and now the douchebags that rent it leave cans of four loko all over the back yard and set fire to phone books in their "bbq pit" and rev up their bro-trucks allnight and bang skanky hoes

so my dad pees on their lawn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

uh thats douchey

agreed....

but he has reminded me that there are people who call salsa "salsa dip" and :mad: :supaburn: :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at my undergrad university there was a jaguar limousine (not like a stretch limo, just the fancy gently caress-you car that only people with chauffeurs buy) with saudi diplomatic plates that would always park right in the middle of the footpath in front of one of the dorms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh i knew a pair of japanese kids when i was in school who were from a wealthy family and they would just tell their parents "oh, yeah, we need more money, $12,000 a month is just barely enough, america is soooooooooo expensive" and the parents who had never been to america believed them i guess. the girl started school with a brand new yellow corvette then decided it was too scary so she got a brand new yellow hummer h2 instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also "we don't employ any drivers, we are just helping people find other people who need rides for a nominal fee"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Reading this thread is loving nuts, tech 'culture' is so hosed and divorced from reality im just :catstare: the entire time I read this thread. I just don't get it.

there's a very good reason that people keep making references to fraternities. constant "pep rally" attitudes? meaningless hazing activities like forcing people to stand for hours? never taking time off from "the team" for personal reasons a la "bros before hos?"

it's the worst of institutionalized power-abuse being sold as just the ~new way of doing business~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

president crow would like you to know asu isn't even in the top 10 party schools anymore

as an asu alumnus (lol), president crow is an ok dude in my book. yeah he's overpaid and cares too much about sports and fundraising. but when some group of batshit tea partiers tried to get a state bill passed to allow students and teachers to carry guns on campus to DEFEND ARE SELVES, he put out this press release

quote:

Arizona State University, like any major research university, is a very special and very complex learning environment. In addition to more than 70,000 of our own college students, we have day care centers, elementary school programs and thousands of elementary school age visitors in a given week, as well as thousands of out-of-state teenagers and their parents visiting.

The bill (SB1474) to permit guns on campus is a misguided attempt to increase school safety without a shred of evidence to support the assumption that schools are safer if students are armed. In fact, a study by the World Health Organization found that the very opposite is true.

I don’t oppose gun ownership. Own all the guns you want, I would say to anyone. But please leave them in your car if you bring them to school, which is our present policy.

ASU Police, the Phoenix SWAT and all the other professional law enforcement chiefs we have talked to are opposed to this bill and say that it will reduce safety.

Can you imagine a crowded college lecture hall in which one student pulls a handgun and fires a shot, then a dozen more students, untrained in the use of firearms and how to handle potentially deadly situations, all pull out their guns? Innocent people would be caught in a deadly crossfire of panicked students firing in every direction. And what does the SWAT team do when it arrives? How do they know which of a dozen or more armed and possibly firing shooters is the bad guy? Or do they take out everyone with a gun?

There are places where guns are not conducive to public safety. Schools surely must be on that list.

so he's a good guy by my reckoning.

i didn't understand that bill at all. literally none of the faculty or school administration supported it and neither did >95% of the students. bunch of wack jobs trying to push their own "freedoms" on people who very much did not want them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

seizure dogs are amazing and awesome

:agreed:, it's super cool

but what would you think of people registering seizure doges if they also had electronic seizure detectors that were more effective

actually is there even some kind of process for that? can you just say "my dog detects when i'm gonna glitch out" or do they have to demonstrate the ability to be able to get registered

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vodkat posted:

Hell even babbies first club, like the oxford and cambridge, charge under 30 over $1000 a year.

this place charges $2400 a year so i dunno what comparison you're making here exactly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excuse me but the preferred term is "the second war of independence"

and we didn't deify general lee we just named every single other highschool after him and made their mascots a dude in civil war era formalwear and sometimes fly the confederate battle flag at away games held at black schools nbd

i like pointing out that the famous dixie flag is actually the jack of the confederate navy. the flag of the confederate states of america is totally different and the battle flag is similar but square, not rectangular.

hasn't gotten me shot yet!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

they're trained to instantly respond "states' rights!" whenever anyone brings up their treasonous rebellion

they're right though. it was about states' rights.

the big one under discussion was that some of the states wanted the right to treat people as property

however i've found that the best response to this is just to quote texas' declaration of secession

quote:

...maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time....

...[the Northern states hold an] unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law...

...We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable....

...That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States....

i don't really know how any other ways to read that one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it's true, bill is a good christian boy, he only goes for vaginal sex

Of course, lady pigs only. What do think he is, a fuckin' queer??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then again i think these are yosposters who don't read cjs so they're unaware that i'm about to enter into an interracial marriage

tbh this is with a woman who is only half non-white, and the non-white part is one of the "good" races, and she's rich and from a family that is part of the country club

it's about the least interracial interracial marriage you could get imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol at how continually lovely of a poster you are

lol @ u defending h p because you're also a rich fuckoid from the south

except where hp's racism and wealth-flaunting is cheeky and fun, etc etc supertroopers you're the fatass everyone hates.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

hahaha yeah, you're so much better as an oblivious doctor's son from another country that moved to the most expensive city in North America for fun

this made me nod sagely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's a Canadian doctor though. they're basically nurse practitioners.

this made me shake my head derisively

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks like the most susceptible areas are the mission district and the Oracle complex in redwood city

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the one for the process of becoming deli meat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lol u live in the projects?

iirc every building built prior to 1960- something in San Francisco is automatically rent controlled

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

Do you have too many friends? Do you absolutely hate when someone wants to hang out with you? Are you the kind of person who is far too important to field a text from each individual friend and would simply like to put a big "Do Not Disturb" sign on your life? Well get excited, because your new favorite app just hit the iPhone and it's ready to tell all your annoying acquaintances to bark up someone else's social tree. It's called Red/Green, and it's the quickest way to feel super important.

The idea here is that you'll adopt a very binary way of approaching your social availability. No more "Anyone want to hang out later?" or "Let's go to the movies tomorrow" for you. It's all about the here and now. When you're busy -- which is all the time because you're awesome and super important -- you switch your status to red, which means "Go away I'm too busy for your weird friendship stuff." However, on the off chance that you're not jet-setting or taking your significant other (who is a model and also a movie star) out for dinner, you can set your status to green, to signal all your inadequate friends to come running like sheep to slaughter.

Oh, you're on the outs with certain people in your social circle? No worries, because Red/Green lets you keep those grudges going by allowing only certain people to see that you're available for friendly interactions, while the rest of the plebeians will be given a big middle finger. Isn't the future wonderful?

true innovation. icq certainly couldn't have come up with this concept in like 1995

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I imagine most of those are sold unfinished, the $30 million penthouse in the millenium tower in SF did since they assumed [probably correctly] that whoever bought it would want the whole inside to exactly their specifications

or they don't really give a poo poo because it's their fifteenth pied-a-terre and they plan to use it two weeks a year and only bought it because it's the top floor of the tallest residential building in the world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was a kid we had some family friends in nyc who lived in a 1br. they had a living room, a kitchen, the bedroom, and a bathroom. the dad and the son slept on separate beds in the bedroom, which was basically just the kid's room except at night, and the mom slept on a pull out couch in the living room.

to answer the immediate question, i have no idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it would be kinda nice to have a couch so i could watch movies in a place other than my bed, but the choice was between having a place for a couch or a place for a workbench so lol no question there really

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I grew up in a family with eight kids and two adults in a 1280 square foot 3br 1ba rented duplex.

well yeah that is much denser obviously (you win!) but i was more pointing out the strangeness of the parents splitting it up as father/son in the bedroom and mom on the couch instead of the parents together and teh kid separate. i had never met a family that did it that way before. is that common in other parts of the world? this family was originally from russia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i used to eat at my workbench but then i realized it's pretty much always covered in solder balls and filing dust and various glues and solvents so it's probably not the world's best idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

oh man i hate that guy

the founder of greenpeace left the organization when the newer members voted to ban chlorine. not in some specific use, but in general, on the surface of the earth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

creating leather apparently involves a whole mess of insanely unpleasant chemicals, and it poisons the land

doesn't need to. you can tan leather with badass

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pointers posted:

wow lol

:canada: is p well set for nuclear b/c we have places to mine uranium (saskatchewan has a lot of old petrified wood b/c glacial melt), a lot of stable rock to put the reactors on and store waste (the shield), and CANDU reactors which iirc can be used to run off waste

CANDU reactors are fantastic. they can run off completely unenriched natural uranium, nuclear waste that comes out of other reactors, old nuclear bombs, and even thorium in the mythical thorium economy. they are also very difficult to melt down and don't produce anything that could be used in a nuclear bomb except tritium, which is necessary for thermonuclear devices, but if you have all the stuff required to make the rest of a hydrogen bomb you can make tritium with your eyes closed

i mean sure each reactor needs like a billion dollars' worth of heavy water but lol if your country doesn't have tens of thousands of deep lakes with lots of the stuff hanging around at the bottom

the whole world could run on CANDUs forever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seriously what the gently caress harper. canada used to have some of the world's best nuclear scientists, aerospace engineers, roboticists, and other high tech industry. all those scottish immigrants don't ya know (scots have always been the world's best engineers). thanks a lot for defunding basic research in favor of ripping poo poo out of the ground you huge rear end in a top hat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think you can really put one over the other...the greatest advance in human healthcare in history was probably germ theory because all of those things mentioned naturally grew out of it. keeping sewage contained, disinfecting drinking water, handwashing in hospitals and restaurants, sterilization of surgical tools, etc. you had cases like john snow deducing "there's something wrong with the water" but it took the discovery of microorganisms to actually understand the link between the people dying, the pump water, why boiled water was safe, etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it seems stymie has passed the torch to sagebrush in recent weeks

im not really sure what people are taking offense with in my post?? i didn't say that sewage wasn't a big deal, just that understanding "germs are what cause disease" is probably even more important because it leads to "ok keep germy sewage away from people" and also dozens of other conclusions that improve public health

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

this is why i get mad at companies like google who are all "let's fly blimps with the internet to help developing coutnries!!!" when what they need is goddamn toilets and sewage infrastructure

i really get pissy whenever someone mentions the One Laptop Per Child project for this reason

because that' what people in the third world need. not clean water, or large-scale agricultural improvement projects, or physical school buildings with enoug textbooks and pencils for all the students, or meaningful governmental reform. laptops! cheap lovely laptops for everyone!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also because the OLPC project was supported in the majority by their deal where you spent 200 dollars and get one laptop for yourself and one goes to peru or wherever, and the only people doing that were horrible fuckin open sores spergholes who just wanted the laptop to sperg around with because it's open source and runs gnu plus linux and it's ONLY A HUNDRED DOLLARS, ie the same people who buy garbage android tablets for 49.95

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 19, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stymie is right though.

i'm basically always right, you just disagree with me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is carly "spent more money than all other candidates combined and got 0.1% of the vote or something" fiorina right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah chernobyl was a light-water reactor. it's not a suicidally unsafe design but it has several really serious failure modes, one of which was demonstrated in the accident

basically in a reactor you always try to keep the right number of neutrons in the core going the right speed. neutrons generated by fission reactions initiate more fission reactions, so more of them means faster reactions. however slower-moving neutrons ("moderated" ones) are much better at starting reactions than fast neutrons, so you also generally want to slow them down in order to make your
reactor more efficient. it's this constant balance between moderation and absorption that makes up control of the reaction.

in something like a candu, the reactor is full of heavy water. heavy water is an effective neutron moderator, so it increases the efficiency of the reaction. if the reactor were to overheat due to some failure in another part of the system, the heavy water would boil away, reducing the amount of it available for moderation, so the neutrons would speed up, the reaction efficiency goes down, and the reactor cools off. you lost millions of dollars worth of heavy water but you prevented a meltdown.

so anyway the chernobyl reactor used solid graphite as a moderator and also ran light water through the core as coolant. light water is also an effective neutron absorber (research reactors in universities often have no more shielding than being placed in a 30 foot deep pool of water, and you can stand above and look down at the core completely safely). so normally you have fast neutrons slowing down in the graphite and then some are being absorbed by the water, balancing the reaction.

well when it overheats think of what happens: the water boils away, creating steam voids that no longer serve any real absorption function,, while the graphite stays right where it is making the neutrons more effective. oh dear

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chernobyl also had another mechanical problem which was with the control rods. normally to stop a reaction you can lower these rods made of boron or some other powerful neutron absorber into the core, and they soak up the neutrons and effectively stop the reaction. in the chernobyl design the rods had a couple feet of non-absorbent material at the lower end, so when they started to put the rods in to shut the reactor down, initially they just displaced water and made the reaction even faster. the whole thing blew up before the rods even got into the core iirc

besides the void coefficient thing (the effect of steam bubbles in the core), modern reactors have safety features like "control rods that don't have that dumbass feature on the end", rods that can be dropped or fired into the center of the reactor in fractions of a second instead of tens, and the ability to flood the whole thing with liquid or gaseous neutron poisons that will stop the reaction instantly, damaging the core in the process and requiring recommissioning but at least preventing a total disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

yeah it turns out graphite burns

well yeah that's a whole other thing that happens afterwards. zirconium and uranium will also burn quite nicely at the temperatures you get in a reactor power excursion tho and that's what most fuel bundles are made of. gotta keep the air out and chernobyl originally had that, with some kind of helium system irrc, but it broke when the reactor exploded.

• Locked thread