Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
The funny thing is an actually good portable FLAC player w/ software would probably have a decent market among music geeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

oh yeah fun story btw. i was screwing around with the function generator and the oscilloscope in one of my electronics classes and swept it through the audio range on a speaker. gradually brought it down saying about what age you lose what range, "you all are young enough to be able to hear up to maybe 17khz if you haven't damaged your hearing" etc.

one guy kept saying "i can't hear it, bring it lower", as i passed well beyond where everyone else was able to hear the tone. eventually he was able to pick it up.

i asked him "are you a musician?" and he said "well i go to a lot of concerts"

dude is 22 years old and can't hear above 10khz

I had a prof who did the same but in reverse asking people how hight their hearing went. He turned the machine off halfway through and was just trolling people into 'hearing' sounds that weren't there.

:audiophiles:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

i'm in my 30s and i don't think i've ever been referred to as mr. deficit except by mormon missionairies

Sorry about you failing at life

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

tbf people saying sir outside of teachers/british empire is weird as gently caress.

I remember being in Korea and a huge army dude and his family stoping me and asking for directions. I knew where to send him but every sentence was finished with Yes Sir. Thank you Sir. So left after the lights Sir? and it weirded me the gently caress out because I was some slightly drunk scrawny british kid and he was this obviously high ranking mid thirties military guy stood next to his wife and kids and he was still talking to me like this, as if it was programmed into him and now he couldn't speak in any other way.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

In Japanese you're supposed to conjugate verbs on relative social standing but I guess only olds care about the highest respect levels these days and young people aren't taught it anymore

In korean you have to do it all the time and its nbd because you do it instead of all the other bullshit we do in english to sound polite. More like just saying what you want to say and whacking sir/mr/hi/bro/I live with you and don'r care/ on the end of every sentence which in someways is actually way easier and more efficient. But in that anecdote it was weird because the dude was US military and literally had no reason to be respectful to me other than I could give him some directions,. Really he should have been pointing at me and saying 'kids thats why you need to get good grades' yet he still called me sir in the most differential of ways, and it weird me the gently caress out. idk maybe its just because I'm british and therefore have superpower like abilities to pick up on any formality or class difference but it was just something that really seemed odd and out of place to me.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

solly about your low self esteem i guess

more like i was stumbling out of a bar near the red light district at mid day, half drunk, after having been out partying for the past 18 hours, smoking, hanging onto half a bottle of soju and looking like a wannabe punk circa 1978. I was having a great time, but I wouldn't even give myself any respect under those conditions.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the idea of brits playing football.

loving shaggared

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

no recovery from that boys. we should just let go of the most popular sport in the world.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

don't jump down the korean nationalist rabbit hole

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

srsly those guys make gamergate people look normal and well adjusted

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Verdafolio posted:

i actually want to know more about insane korean nationalism

just ask in the korea thread, I'm not going to sully myself by typing up that poo poo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

http://mashable.com/2015/03/16/google-schmidt-unconscious-bias/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfcW03cW56c3BkeDlieWtraiJ9

On Monday, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt and acclaimed Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson were wrapping up a SXSW Interactive panel that had focused on diversity, when an audience member called out the two men for repeatedly interrupting their fellow panelist, the United States' Chief Technology Officer Megan Smith.

Even more awkward? The audience member who posed the question was apparently Judith Williams, who heads up Google's unconscious bias program.

I don't know which is funnier, this or the fact that google has an unconscious bias programme.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

text me ect...

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Gentrify: Oakland

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Smythe posted:

same thing rly. hell, I sure as heck can't tell em apart. Just some chingy chongy poo poo idk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proof that the dictatorship of smythe is cruel but fair.

vodkat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 21, 2015

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

literally living a tin can in a toxic waste dump among billionaires thinking he's going to make it because he can hack together a lovely 'crowdsourcing' website: welcome to out cyberpunk dystopia folks.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this stopped being an insightful comment about five years into our cyberpunk dystopia

whatever, it bears repeating when the quotes just blatantly hand it to you

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

#breaking #news in 2015

is this tech gaymer bros or something because I'd imagine all the real queens got priced out years ago

fabulous snype

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

The Management posted:

if the San Francisco Secret feed is to be believed you can have a guy over to your place to suck your dick within five minutes at any time of the day (if you pretend to be straight)

there's nothing gay about two straight men sucking each others dicks.

right, bro?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Smythe posted:

ide be alright if a human being came over to suck my alpha dick but only if he let me core out his nasty rear end in a top hat with my hosed up radula tongue and suck his filthy, turgid, throbbing cock until he came in my mouth, allowing me to push the cum up through my sinuses and out my nose and down into my straight perfectly primmed mouth to suck up again and again like a sloppy slurpy cum french inhale.

Smythe posted:

idont really care about the color, girth, or lengh of a cock just so long as it's really hard. the hardness is what gets me off. some long thin cocked sproingy bitch come on over here with a cock like a doorstop bouncing all around - lmfao, gtfo here chump. gimme a small dicked chode thats hard and lead and im all over it

I want to say source your quotes, but I'm worried that this is pure, unadulterated, internal monologue :gizz:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

quoted for racism

idgi?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

some hospitals got into poo poo because they had billing experts dressed up like the medical staff asking patients all sorts of questions to make the debt easier to collect.

jfc, gently caress america :negative:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Soricidus posted:

palin 2.0, what could go wrong

gj your country is already a joke

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

although so is every other country

death to all governments :anarchists:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone know of any particular bubble worthy British start-ups?

I have to write about one that interests me for a job application and I think it would be funny to completely tear down their economic model.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

From reddit, I know, but this quote made me lolololol all the way to the bubble

quote:

"Uber, the world’s largest taxi company, owns no vehicles. Facebook, the world’s most popular media owner, creates no content. Alibaba, the most valuable retailer, has no inventory. And Airbnb, the world’s largest accommodation provider, owns no real estate. Something interesting is happening.”

Heres the link if you want to read all the stupid comments: http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/36wvnf/uber_the_worlds_largest_taxi_company_owns_no/

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

More like america forcing its lovely corporations even further down the throats of the rest of the world.

But as an americas you're used to chocking on those dicks anyway, so why would you care?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

like who else would you like to have global hegemony? the chinese? lol

What the fucj is wrong with europeans anyway? are they communist or something? The only choice in this world is to either smile as you chow down on the hegemonic cock of american neo-liberlism or to wait for those loving godless chinese barbarians to eat you decrepit remains alive.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you do the math on the couple in the lower right, they have so much money in the bank they could quit working, forever, and their children would still be rich as adults

they have $180k in taxable investment income. they realized capital gains, they sold stock for cash. they just casually liquidate assets in their 40s to supplement their 400k in cash income.

Assuming a very good 6% return that would mean they have $3 million in liquid investments. $4 million liquid is usually considered the boundary for being a High Net Worth Individual i.e. one of the global super elite to whom money is beginning to lose all meaning.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

coffeetable posted:

on further investigation, there's a web store, shop.markcuban.com

I'm going to get an I Grind hat for this years pride :gizz:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Shaggar posted:

bicycles aren't supposed to be on the road so idk why that's a problem.

I was going to make a shagger joke ...

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sniep posted:

dont post live footage from india

speaking of which we could really use a new thread title

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Why the gently caress would you have any of those apps on your phone?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Even if it's your literal job to develop those apps have the decency to keep them on a work only phone.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

coffeetable posted:

the tech bubble? if you're outside tech you probably won't care

there's potentially a much larger bubble in us stock in general, and if that one's real it's gonna be a doozy. seven years of zero'd interest rates and quantitative easing is gonna be hard to come back from

We've barely recovered from 2008 so when the china + tech + greece pops in 2016 everyone is gonna be hosed

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

tbh could even happen by late 2015 enjoy the last few months before the next great depression everyone

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not convinced those would gently caress the US or even Europe that badly

a real estate correction yeah and maybe those could cause a real estate correction here but I think most of the US economy is pretty well insulated from those three horsemen

Its not about the real economy its about ~*capital*~

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

for real those three bubbles are all being driven by the lack of profitable investment opportunities in the ~*real*~ economy. investing in factories and poo poo for normal plebs just isn't enough for steady 3% return in perpetuity. when all this capital can't be invested profitable the whole house of capitalist cards could fall. 2008 was a rattle and the shakes are only going to get bigger.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

also there are 3 ways to destroy capital - inflation, burning money and war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

TerminalRaptor posted:

there actually is a site for the express purpose of cheating. I'm not talking hookups like adultfriendfinder or some similar poo poo, its express purpose is to cheat on your spouse. I'm too lazy to care right now to find its name. its ashleymadison.com .

ha, the google ad when I searched for it: "#1 Website for Cheaters - Americas #1 Married Affair Site‎"

this sort of thing already exists: http://www.infidelities.co.uk

all it needs some tech bubble flair and 100mm in investor funding

edit: beat me to the punch already

• Locked thread