Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

infernal machines posted:

yeah any sort of collective knowledge on the part of the workforce is in poor taste. in a mature workplace of adults discussion never exceeds the boundaries of last night's tv or sporting event.

only children have an interest in their material compensation

I get paid three lollipops and a Babe Ruth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

nice classist bullshit story that i've heard a billion times on the internet

processed nacho cheese sauce does contain sodium alginate, true. but it's like 0.5% to 1% of the product

next ask him to tell you the story about the native african tribe. they have one great trick for dealing with criminals that you just won't believe!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they beat the person and/or drag them to a public meeting with the headman/chief and then likely take them to the police if possible

I found the post

Sagebrush posted:

dr. dad, a psychiatrist who specializes in terminal illness and grief and dying (hella fun job right) sometimes talks about an african tribe that i can't remember the name of and how they handle murder. it's a tribe that breaks up into nomadic groups that are small enough that every person is valuable to the group, so they can't afford to go killing people over little slights here and there.

so what they do is if there's a murder, they will go on a hunt and capture the murderer and bring him back and tie him up in one of the tents. they keep him there for some length of time -- several months to a year. they feed him and keep him alive, but they don't let him interact with the rest of the community. meanwhile the victim's family grieves and goes through that whole process.

after the time is up, they take the murderer and tie him hand and foot and put him in a boat. with the victim's family beside him, they row him out into the lake and dump him in. at that point the victim's family may decide what to do. they can let him drown, or they can jump in and haul him out. no one will fault them for going either way. if the murderer is saved he is welcomed back and the crime is not spoken of again; the victim's own family has forgiven him and their grief is over. on the other hand, if he is not saved, it is understood that the victim's family needed that act of ultimate justice, but also that their grief will never end. life goes on and the matter is concluded one way or another.

i think it's a good way to handle it.

Sagebrush posted:

"hahaha, guys, ok. guys. ok guys shut up. ok that was a good story, but you know, that's not actually how it is in reality. the reality is much more boring and far less intriguing to contemplate. and furthermore, your framing device implies a subtle racism." *sits back smugly, tilts fedora, drags on e-cig*

hi sagebrush

ps new forums search rocks

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

When it comes to a forums-search tool, I have needs, and, well... let's just say, in this case, they were certainly suited.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

this is a really bad article

let's repeat the same sophomoric drivel about how "places that are meant to be alive just seem all the more dead maaaaaaaaaan" over and over again so it appears profound from the sheer repitition

and you can see the points where he went "poo poo i'd better pull out a thesaurus so that people think i'm not a lovely writer", let's make up words like "ephemerality" so i sound smart

also noah built an ark, not an arc you loving dingus.

gee 200k in the hole on this journalism degree, i'd better pay somebody to let me work as an intern for their lovely loving website or i might not look as enthusiastic as the other worthless rejects chasing all the nonexistent jobs in this sector

I remember that article

the pics were really cool but the text was really bad

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
reminder

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FMguru posted:

the first hint that your paycheck might be late - especially in a startup environment - should be enough to send you screaming to linkedin

quote:

Despite not getting paid, the employees I spoke to chose to stay with Sport195 mostly for the benefits, particularly health care. Some of them have families, so giving up health insurance was a non-starter for them. The way they saw it, it was better to remain employed, technically speaking, with health insurance while looking for another job.

(then they cut off the health insurance)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

fritz posted:

I'm back in mountain view this week and i noticed some place called 'quixey' has a couple big offices right downtown and ive never heard of those people

we actually only have one office, the old one (the one on castro street proper, as opposed to half a block off it) is just waiting for someone else to lease it

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they used to have photos of every single member of their staff right in a front window facing Castro

it would've been creepy as hell if those nerds didn't look so goofy

not every member of the staff, just an arbitrarily chosen subset

please don't ask me why they chose the people they did, I have no idea

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bored marketing person social media director probably thought OUR FRONT WINDOW IS THE MOST SOCIAL OF MEDIA

no, I mean, that's definitely why. apparently we did get a decent number of hires from people who first saw our sign walking by - for programmer pedestrian density, it's hard to do better than downtown mountain view...

funny place. I'll be sad when this boom is over, truth be.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

i guess that's why we can't get the democrats to raise taxes on the rich, their economic advisers are ultracapitalist shills

looking at his past work, it seems reasonable. "increasing the minimum wage doesn't (always) increase unemployment", "tax breaks for big oil are approximately worthless". idk

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

the other day i saw a pickup perfectly straddling the line between two parking spaces. i actually could have squeezed my car between his driver's side and the next car but i'm sure that wouldn't have ended well for me

a few weeks ago, saw a pickup and an SUV parked that way right next to each other, each taking up two spots (four total). the rest of the parking lot was full. it was art

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

why can i never find the comic with the "favorite american fantasies" bookshelf and there's a couple of fairy tales and then "the one where the bystander who happens to be carrying a gun plugs a bad guy and saves the day without causing any harm to himself or any other innocents"

OP of the politoon thread

imo this one's better tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i agree, but i don't think that's how you pluralize that proper name

William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

You may remember that 14 of my test subjects said they didn’t hear enough difference to justify buying a Pono. The 15th guy, however, said, “I would and I did!”

That is, he was already the owner of a Pono.

I pointed out to him that in my test, even he had preferred the sound of the iPhone. His reply: The Pono may not actually sound better, but it delivers more emotion.

audiophiles

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
pittsburgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I feel like people here might enjoy http://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9124145/effective-altruism-global-ai

quote:

In the beginning, [Effective Altruism] was mostly about fighting global poverty. Now it's becoming more and more about funding computer science research to forestall an artificial intelligence–provoked apocalypse. At the risk of overgeneralizing, the computer science majors have convinced each other that the best way to save the world is to do computer science research. Compared to that, multiple attendees said, global poverty is a "rounding error."

• Locked thread