Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not clear which laws we needed to follow so in the interest of fairness we didn't follow any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the shittiest place i have ever worked actually had a "policy" about not discussing salary/wages.

you can imagine how effective that was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

discussing your salary with other employees is actually in poor taste and it shouldn't need to be an official policy if you work with mature adults hth

yeah any sort of collective knowledge on the part of the workforce is in poor taste. in a mature workplace of adults discussion never exceeds the boundaries of last night's tv or sporting event.

only children have an interest in their material compensation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

for context: theres a wage-fixing scandal going on at pixar, dreamworks, and sony among others

wasn't that suggested (by the sony hackers) to be one of the reasons behind the hack?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I get paid three lollipops and a Babe Ruth

i get paid one (1) Life™ brand granola-style cereal bar

so not fair

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

your employer is buying those on 20x optimum points days and then redeeming the points for more granola bars on bonus redemption days. he's saving around ~36% of the cost and that's not even factoring in when he can stock up during sales!!!

that monster

mom's just trying to keep me down. giving me lovely lunches so i can't compete in the lunch-trade economy. she's artificially suppressing my popularity man.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

people are very insensitive to trolling on monday mornings

you're posting in the tek bauble thread, wherein people unironically defend uber and facebook. you can't troll this thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Syncopated posted:

hasn't a bunch of places said the same thing? How's that working out

as long as uber has 40 billions of VC dollars the fines are about as effective as you'd expect.

i mean if they're getting fined in every single market they're in it may prevent them from being actually profitable, but they're a bubble 2.0 superstar no one is concerned about pedestrian things like profitability

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

one of the reasons I couldn't play poker coming to Denver.

Don't ever work for Motorola Solutions.

that is some bullshit.

i've had a client i used as a reference for another client tell them how much we were billing.

that was a pain in the rear end since they had a special rate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

now where's that articles about how amazon is filling downtown seatlle with lovely undateable techbros

mebby they aren't on account of not having a ballpit and other helpless manchild mitigation services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, somebody leashed a rat.

but why?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

only dirty communists discuss their salaries with coworkers

that doesn't really make a lot of sense. aren't all the dirty communists making the same wage?

"how much you make? same as you comrade."

not much to discuss IMO

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

never heard that one before!

i agree that lumbering loud stinky messy pets would be a problem, but my dog is none of those, so.

your dog isn't really a dog either.

that thing has a brain the size of your thumb. it can't hunt or fetch or do anything except stand there and shiver, it's like a less useful hamster that eats more expensive food. so congrats on your broken pet i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

if your dog isnt like a really good dog do not bring it to work. it's like I am a grown up in a fancy suit and I don't want to hear dogs barking, growling and fighting in the office like I work I some kind of filthy alley ok

how about just plain old don't bring your loving pet to work? it's not elementary school show and tell. we don't let you bring your kids to the office every day, i don't know why we'd want your functionally retarded animal here instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's also the silver bullet that you shoot into your bay area landlord who doesn't allow pets (this is all of them)

is that legal down there?

up here they can say poo poo like no pets, but it's completely unenforceable and they can't kick you out for it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's some bullshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's called freedom

i've noticed american freedom seems to primarily be the freedom to go gently caress yourself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

there are places pet rent isn't a thing? everywhere I lived in college and since has had that. deposit to cover cleaning and then 30-60 a month in additional rent

it's not a thing anywhere i've seen in southern ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

americans: consistently amazed the rest of the world isn't taking it up the rear end without lube

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

My father-in-law expressed a concern that this guy might try to shoot me.

you're doing god's work tori

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm not going to report the guy to the IRS because what that guy in the CJS thread said made sense, but I will ask for my money back. Anything I get back now is less I have to take him to court for in July.

i missed that, but holy poo poo that would be an amazingly unpleasant thing to do to the guy.

i could see him actually killing you after that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've never asked him to do anything more than his legal responsibility.

i meant the IRS thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:911:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

a lot of it (general white dude shitheadedness) is a reaction to a perceived diminishment of their superior role in culture and society. you can basically explain 99% of reactionary white dude stuff as a response to being raised with certain expectations about the world and their place in it, emulating fathers who were the center of the family, breadwinner, all that jazz and having that expectation curtailed by progress. it's related to machismo but it doesn't seem to be as acute in non-white dudes.

the idea that i could have enjoyed even more privilege is almost mind blowing.

what a time to be alive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

really every instance of a company ignoring or attempting to evade a court order should result in a RICO prosecution, that poo poo undermines the rule of law and can't be allowed to stand

lol. i like to dream too.

but this is bubble 2.0, this time it's different, remember?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rude

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's great, by any reasonable definition uber is a criminal enterprise. an international criminal enterprise. their entire business model is illegal pretty much top-to-bottom in almost every market they operate in. they run counter-intelligence and smear campaigns against their "enemies" in business, the press, and possibly even in government. they run their business like bond villains made flesh. and because they're a bunch of pasty SV techbros no one is going to do anything to hold them accountable.

ryan graves could build a death ray on the loving moon at this point and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

he'd try to crowdsource the death ray instead ans act confused when he finds out you can't make one out of used nissan stanzas

that's 20th century thinking. he's going to disrupt the death ray space and innovate a new paradigm of mass terror

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

one of my favorite bars has a bar cat. sit on a little heating blanket in the corner, occasionally get pets. scruffy little thing :3:

there is a convenience store a block from me that has a store cat.

it lounges on the product/till/wherever and is remarkably chill

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

people gently caress up keeping the pumps filled dude

i'm going to be honest, this really seems like the kind of problem that will solve itself sooner than later. i'm not sure that $30 000 dogs are really necessary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

gonna crowdsource deathrays. instead of building his own he'll send out a bunch of free laser pointers and then make an app that pays each one of them a small amount of money if they all go point their lasers at whoever he wants deathrayed
that's brilliant

Main Paineframe posted:

how will our generation solve the insulin pump problem? will we gamify it and give them a cheevo every three times they clean the insulin tube, or will we just program the pump to send out a whatsapp message to the person's closest Facebook friend (as determined by a proprietary algorithm) whenever the person goes into insulin shock?

whichever one is easier to monetize. probably the latter option combined with targeted advertizing to their friends and next of kin for funeral services and bereavement gifts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

what other interesting dog related info do you have

he's the guy who's obsessed with pugfucking isn't he?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the cops disrupted their own poo poo lmao

the free market always finds a way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why the gently caress am i paying five figures for a dog that can't dial 911?

for that kind of scratch it had better cook meals and change my diaper too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jfc. who the gently caress agrees to get irradiated for minimum wage?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PuTTY riot posted:

they weigh at the pot farm here and i always thought the same thing

like you wouldn't try smuggle 50lbs of dank nugs in out in your colon if they weren't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

or get to live in a proper dystopian cyberpunk future ruled by corporations

this is what we already live in. it's not the future, it's now.

jesus, haven't you been reading this thread?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

until i can plug computer chips into my brain and properly escape this gay earth its not a proper cyberpunk dystopia tyvm :colbert:

just because johnny mnemonic style vr internet was a spectacular failure doesn't mean its not a corporate cyberpunk dystopia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

also didn't exxon basically appeal the exxon valdez spill payout until it basically went away

how's BP doing in the gulf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Deepwater investments providing limitless horizons.

Tomorrow is a bright new day, thanks to British Petrol!

• Locked thread