Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Munkeymon posted:

I'm just weirded out that they contract out their contracting

look, i think we can all agree that it's better if the "help" is kept at arm's length.

if any of the poo poo we flush at them backs up the pipe we can cut it off at their contracting agency. we're not the bad guys here. acme serfs inc. is, and we'll just claim to need to review our contracting policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
finally, a place for only the richest and most elite sv techbros

no girls allowed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love that they just ignore the last two failed attempts at doing the same thing, apparently not quite grasping that power-autists aren't really much for social gatherings

also, lol at the "artist in residence" bullshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thesoro posted:

late but why on earth does uber use semi-private discount codes to give their employee discount instead of an account flag

given the way uber operates it's surprising they didn't just have interns monitoring "god mode" and applying the discount in real time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and sometimes fly the confederate battle flag at away games held at black schools nbd

they do know they weren't actually fighting the slaves in that war right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

who wants racism

it is literally "the president is a dirty friend of the family" for a whole lot of America

listen bub, it's a government for the people, of the people, by the people if the people have them racist tendencies, welp.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i can call bill o'reilly a "pigfucker" all day long because nobody's going to reasonably conclude from my ranting that bill o'reilly actually puts his dick in a pig's anus.

it's true, bill is a good christian boy, he only goes for vaginal sex

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc it was his klein beer stein and he included a buncha pictures and stuff with it

a kleinstein eh?

sounds like a smart purchase

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

gently caress it, entire thing

this is like yospos.txt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thesoro posted:

it's amazing how exactly this guy is 50% completely right and 50% utterly wrong

like i said, it's pure yospos

completely unable to picture the societal and technical changes that will make all these absurd, ridiculous, mockable technological ideas commonplace in a generation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember umpcs? yup

do i? boy howdy!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

won't somebody please think of uber here? they're having a hard enough time with their image as it is, and then those vultures in the press latch on to this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

wasnt yo being used to talk about hamas rockets hitting Israel or something\?

yes, it was tied to the rocket attack warning system they have

now they can pretend the poorly crafted fireworks coming over the wall are being sent by merry old st. nick

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well yeah, i don't know how useful an early warning would be against a rocket with a flight time of a few seconds.

seriously, most of them are like poorly scaled estes rockets, and roughly as effective

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they shoot them in volleys i thought

that would be useful to know about as it started happening

sure, but it's not like the rockets go anywhere in particular. they're about as unguided as it gets. so it's useful to know not to go outside for a bit if you're in the general area, but that's about it.

you'll note that isn't an "early warning" system though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't worry, even the earth itself wouldn't swallow larry ellison

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the great thing about condo buildings, as opposed to all the other insane bubble investments: a building remains a capital asset as long as it's habitable.

when uber and klout and yo all go the great pets.com in the sky, nothing of consequence remains. nothing was built. society accrues no value from their past existence.

when a developer throws up a building and it stays 80% vacant for a few years, eventually poo poo gets sold for pennies on the dollar and yuppie condos become middle class apartments. bubbles come and go, buildings have a tendency to stick around

well except for the part where the condos are 450 to maaaaybe 900 sq. ft. the only middle class gonna buy/rent those is DINKs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when they were expensive, they were inhabited by DINKs

when they fall into the middle class, all of a sudden you have regular families living in them. yes, families with children. and often only one parent. you know, regular americans.

i can only imagine two kid+ families living in the 1 bedroom + "den"* condos we've been building here for the last five years

* den is actually a not especially large walk in closet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you do not want to imagine it, but that's life for regular people

(or did you think property values could double and double again while wages stagnated for forty years and no one would notice?)

i know plenty of regular people around here. the fun is, they manage to live less cramped than that now because the neigbourhood is old purpose built rental buildings. back in the heady days of the 50s, 60s, and 70s when they used to build crazy things like two and three bedroom apartments.

so far the only idiots cramming themselves into the sub 600sq. ft. condos are DINKs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

let me tell you about condos in toronto hint: they don't build them very well and some are barely habitable

it's be great when the glasswall is giving out all at once in 10 years tops on pretty much every building built in the last five years

cityplace is going to look post-apocalyptic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I grew up in a family with eight kids and two adults in a 1280 square foot 3br 1ba rented duplex.

so how's life after caddyshack?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you don't have a place other than your bed to watch movies then it is really easy to touch the insides of women from the bar with your penis

that's why i got rid of my couch.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

or more accurately don't build your entire national economy around a single commodity

:canada:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

hey now, canada has oil and housing

depending on where you are the housing bubble is because of the oil market.

the good 'ol one-two punch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm still trying to figure out what's fueling high housing costs in southern ontario

the insurance industry? banking?

lol

everyone want's to live near the centre of the universe, toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

well we can just NEVER KNOW MAN we just CANT

ffs godzilla hasn't even shown up yet, let alone the giant ant men.

you just wait until they do, then maybe we'll know the extent of the damage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

i thought chernobyl was a candu reactor and that was some old-rear end poo poo we don't use anymore

lol

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i loving love CANDU's so much

gently caress you if you dont love nuclear power

fuckin' ace.

i hope you like SNC Lavalin too, because they own the CANDU design now. yes, we loving gave it to them.

also, i vaguely know one of the lead engineers from the original CANDU project.

several years ago my boss at the time managed to destroy the digital manuscript for his memoirs, i was tasked with recovering it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah it turns out graphite burns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

they are, and i bought an OLPC for myself and for a friend because of the weird and interesting "sugar" timeline/activity-oriented UI and the mesh networking thing

then whoops ms is a sponsor, it's all going to be windows soon, and we're not going to do anything interesting with the sugar UI anyway, suckers!

now my eMate 300 is more interesting

sugar ui was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. slightly worse actually, since the primary value of cheap educational computers in these places is teaching practical computer skills

it's neat in a ui concept way, but practically useless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is that really any worse than working in a building that houses star-hot plasma contained only by the grace of an electrically generated magnetic field?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is a surprisingly stupid middle school argument

really, the critical failure modes for either are basically instantly fatal. thanks to our unending hubris i'm sure many people will get to enjoy one or the other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

we made the connection of "poop water = disease" a hell of a lot longer ago than germ theory, we just don't always have a good way of getting non poop water. we've found Stone Age ruins with toilets that drain into rivers and freshwater wells from 8000 years ago. the drat Mayans basically invented stone water filters.

what we really need is for some enterprising young buck to disrupt the water filtration market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

three words: internet of things

as long as your water filtration system is maximally invasive and tweets/instgrams/logs and uploads everything that passes through it there's plenty of data for target hungry advertisers

plus you can gamify water consumption! now with facebook integration

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down

that sounds familiar, but really that's the easy part. from there you want to apply "surge" pricing to your other pumps in the region, and give your water vending partners a heads up too.

maybe push out an automated sms blast with "feeling thirsty? try Dasani™".

don't forget about your "safe drinking" fees for potable water sources

monetization is key

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Menacer posted:

how the gently caress did this become train chat again

what the gently caress you goofs

fishmech posted, it was enevitable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's one way to keep the ceo from banging the hostesses

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

we need the whitest knight

you rang?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's amazing how loving committed nerds are to the belief that uber is new and groundbreaking and solving hitherto unaddressed issues in private transit.

if you manage to hold them down and stuff their face in the fact that jitney cabs have been around for over a hundred years and were legislated out of existence for exactly the same reasons uber is, they just fall back to "it's different this time, because computers"

it's absurd how reticent they are to acknowledge that the legislation is not lagging the technology, if anything it's ahead of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah, agreed, which is why i get super frustrated when people say 'oh well cabs are terrible too' like that makes any difference to the argument that 'uber is bad'. now if uber actually gave a poo poo about background checks and providing a safer and better experience than cabs in addition to being cheaper, we might actually be able to say we have something new here.

the thing is, if that were even remotely profitable or in any way connected to profitability the cab companies would be doing it voluntarily.

it's not, and they aren't, they do it because they're compelled by law. so a bad actor like uber that deliberately flaunts regulation as a core component of their business model has absolutely no interest in safety, it's just an added cost. specifically it's a higher cost than simply ignoring the law and paying the relevant fines.

if uber is anything they're the ultimate expression of laissez faire capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah a completely on-demand workforce is kind of the endgame

employment-as-a-service

• Locked thread