Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I work these long hours so someone else can live my life for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
ahahaha I hope those people get sued into oblivion and die penniless

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol why would you let the janitors in during work hours. they should never be seen.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

just pay everyone the same wage. problem solved

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
full communism now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
capitalism - a skinhead

communism - a kickass dragon

i know which i prefer

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
poor people having things just makes me so drat mad

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol at the people the crawl out of the wood work to bang on the COOK FOR YOURSELF drum any time the word food comes up. everybody gets it already.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol they've raised $40 million :stonk:

no buble here no sir

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

I'm guessing that instead of "punch a clock" you'd "log into the team HangoutTM"

lol, nice.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

i had to enter hours when working at a digital agency so they could accurately bill the clients. a majority of our projects during my time there were fixed bid so it was mostly a track of why we were over budget. turns out fixed bid projected without fixed scope rarely make money

i was talking to one pm a while ago and he mentioned that the number of fixed priced contracts that make money was astronomically low. i don't remember the actual number but i think it was 10% or less. gotta make dem sales i guess.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

when the bubble pops and all the programming education big companies have been doing matures into a surplus of cheap developers, it will turn back into Just Another Job and people will actually have to start working again.

seriously though Google ain't investing a ton of charity money in teaching kids programming and "raising the next generation of programmers" cuz they love kids so much. computer poo poo has always been notoriously hard to get people interested in even with the wages so hilariously high because goddamn is nerd stuff boring if you're not totally into it. but now that we're a couple generations into the computer age and average kids (not just spergs like me) grew up playing with html and basic stuff for their tumblrs or whatever it's no longer just "that thing nerds do" anymore so I think we're finally past that block and wages will start falling soon.

have you interacted with young people recently? most of them are just as loving computer illiterate as my grandma. "average" kids don't have their own tumblr at all, they use poo poo like instagram and snapchat and poo poo that requires zero janitoring.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Tumblr's actually way bigger than a lot of people realize. All my coworkers' teen kids have tumblrs, even the dumb ones.

I'm not gonna claim that every kid is a computer whiz and yeah I'm sure most of them use it as A Facebook And Instagram Appliance but I feel that the proportion of kids that are computer literate enough to at least know what programming realistically entails and have been exposed to it in some way (though not necessarily wrote something themselves) is much higher than you seem to think, and way way higher than even a few years ago.

This too.

"my coworkers' teenage kids" probably entails selection bias big enough to drive a truck through.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i look at speed traps and see exactly the types of people they piss off and it just makes me think they're universally a good thing.

drivers should just be arbitrarily ticketed anyway. like, just for being a motorist.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i am a really great driver and it's literally every single other driver on the road that is a hazard.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EVGA Longoria posted:

no but i spend my time paying attention to the road instead of talking on the phone or texting or anything

i've also been rear ended 3 times by women who were on cell phones, but i've never hit anyone????

accidents happen, but i'd rather everyone drove fast than everyone is distracted as poo poo

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i love watching privileged assholes stir up a poo poo storm over lowering speed limits. it loving rules. they lowered speed limits in some residential areas here and the tears over it were monumental.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

soylent drinkers don't crap tho?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
those postmates people straight up can't do math right? it sounds like they are just straight up losing money.

why must the working class make capital's job so easy??

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

it's okay to be rich just don't be a dick about it

this is triggering me greatly. pls tell me this is ironic posting duTrieux.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what was the slave or serf equivalent of having to lease a prius?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

It's been an eventful year for Secret, an anonymous gossip app that experienced meteoric success when it launched last winter and fell out of the App Store charts almost as quickly.

Now the company is thinking about pivoting, a person with knowledge of the plans tells Business Insider. One possibility that was floated was a startup incubator, which would allow Secret to test new ideas and see what sticks, a source explains.

We've also heard that an incubator isn't likely, but the company is definitely trying to think about how to iterate the product.

It's unclear if Secret's current mobile app would stay up and running or shut down if the company pivots.

Secret was co-founded by David Byttow, a former Google and Square engineer, and Chrys Bader-Wechseler. The pair launched an anonymous gossip-sharing application in January 2013 that resembled another popular mobile application, Whisper.david byttow secret ferrariPinterest
It sounds like Byttow doesn't need to want a Ferrari anymore.

Silicon Valley took to Secret instantly, and news about major tech companies began to break on the application before it was announced on Twitter or traditional news outlets. Secret raised an $8.4 million series A round of financing in March 2014 and then raised a $25 million series B round in July. During the series B round, Byttow and Bader-Wechseler exchanged some of their stock for $3 million each. Byttow then promptly purchased a Ferrari, a toy he's wanted for a long time, sources say.

Shortly after the fundraise, Secret's popularity waned. Its instant popularity seemed more driven by media articles than actual user traction. The company began working on other app ideas and in December, it pivoted the app to look a lot like Yik Yak, an anonymous, location-based microblogging application.

In January, one of Secret's co-founders, Bader-Wechseler, left the company. One person told Business Insider he and Byttow had different visions for how to save Secret.

People who have worked with Byttow previously also say he's not the best manager and there was a lot of drama when he departed Square. Multiple sources say he announced his departure to the company with a short email that referenced a fellow Square employee he was dating and a line from "Good Will Hunting:" "Gotta see about a girl."

One of the app's top Android engineers, Sarah Haider, has also left Secret this month. Now she's at a startup Twitter just acquired, Periscope.

Unfortunately, Secret's crazy year is a somewhat typical startup story. Companies including Yo, Ello, and Turntable all experienced a lot of buzz when they launched but quickly realized media buzz and actual traction are two very different things.

It's not clear how much money Secret has in the bank to figure itself out, but it certainly seems to be exploring lots of options.

Byttow declined to comment on Secret's plans.

lol, no bubble here nosir

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
so yikyak is Craigslist? sign me up for a cool $35 mill

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

all you need is the right lever

like a crowbar

to the dome

of all rich people

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

massively destructive orgy

Mods plz rename me this

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

“We don’t want to touch anything," says the family. "We can’t sleep in these beds again, we can’t walk on these carpets in bare feet, ever again. There’s broken glass everywhere, there’s barbecue sauce on the ceiling, there’s mayonnaise covering our sofa cushions that are piled on the couch, piles of garbage, the floor has a film of all sorts of fluid and guck. Everything’s contaminated."

Lol mayonnaise. Someone needs to have the talk with these people.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

I have an alternative proposal of burning down any house over 3k sqft

with its occupants locked inside preferably

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Autistic cobol uncle sounds like a sweet gig.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

When I asked Evan Macmillan, the CEO of enterprise company Gridspace and former head of product at Groupon, what he thought of “Silicon Valley’s” parody, he laughed. “It hits too close to home,” he said. “This isn’t my fantasy, this is my sad reality.”

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
They aren't working for free tho, a non-profit is picking up their salary for the "audition".

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Elon Musk is autistic???

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this probably isn't even remotely true

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

ok, I'll stop biting my tongue.

marca is a quite smart and quite nice guy, with an arguably-unfortunate skull shape. his enthusiasms and mistakes are pretty visible, as a function of his profession, but most people don't manage to create even one billion dollar company, let alone multiple, and his investment record is pretty good as they go. I would happily have him as a co-founder or board member, or report to him as my CEO. (though I'd rather Ben as CEO if I got to choose.)

trap sprung you goddamn conehead sleeper

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
if you've come to a point where you admire and defend shithead wealthy SV retards it's probably time to pull your own head out of your rear end

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

holy loly

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AWWNAW posted:

that roommates wanted posted is the most hosed up thing i seen in a while

no mirrors in the house eh?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You're neglecting some of the efficiencies here:

If you use it both as a living place and a working place, and you split the rent multiple ways with all the cofounders, this could actually result in a saving compared to what they were originally paying in rent for their respective apartments and business spaces combined.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I still disagree with you. Most people have at least some standards for where they will live, especially if it's combined with the workplace. This isn't just a matter of lifestyle, but also one of contentment and productivity. I think if they moved into a cheaper office location, none of the cofounders would want to live there. Even if they did decide to live and work in such a place, I suspect their quality of life would deteriorate and detract from the business.

Still, I think there is a middle ground, and that is probably what you were referring to. In that case, I agree with you.

source you are quotes

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
nathon gunn

nathon

nathon

nathon

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the actual bio of the guy who started that weird exercise commune/cult/startup

somehow he conned his way into a faculty position at stanford

positive peace delivered as a service
(is it free if it takes more than 45 minutes?)

wtf does that even mean jfc shoot these people into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
like, that might as well be out of that mentally ill D&D poster's "attention economy" thread

• Locked thread