Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Syncopated posted:

hasn't a bunch of places said the same thing? How's that working out

“I cannot stress enough how much Oxford welcomes and embraces the application technology — but that does not mean that using it is a free pass to avoid complying with any laws for safety any more than anyone else,” Ward 1 alderman Jay Hughes said. “That being said, and despite repeated assurances from Uber representatives at the last board meeting, the city clerk confirmed on the record that not a single driver using an Uber app has applied for a license, background check, or provided any proof of insurance, as required by local and state law.”

Hughes also said Uber’s “bold advertising” around Oxford in The Citizen and The Oxford Eagle is encouraging drivers to operate without proper permits and licenses. When asked about the citations officers had been giving drivers in August, Uber representative Kaitlin Durkosh told HottyToddy.com that the company would continue to pay the fines on behalf of their drivers.

“Uber drivers who were stopped over the weekend advised officers that the Uber management instructed them to continue disregarding local and state laws and that Uber would pay all of the fines,” Hughes said. “Thus, the fines are no longer a deterrent, and an arrest will stay with the driver and his/her record.”

Due to repeated and flagrant violations by unauthorized drivers for hire in unauthorized vehicles, notice is hereby given that beginning immediately, all unauthorized drivers of vehicles for hire in Oxford will be arrested on site and the vehicle will be towed from that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
if my phone wasnt broken id post a screenshot of 'no driver available' which def wanst the case before the city started threatening unlicensed cab drivers with arrest.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there's a reason Amazon office windows open and if you no longer like your work situation you will find out why

to let the hound stink out?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

lol, friend of mine bought a corner house in the burbs that has like some rocks in the corner as sort of like a lawn feature thing, and all the neighborhood kids apparently sit on the rocks all day after walking to the 7-11 and are all noisy. 27 year old yelling at kids to get off his lawn, p funny. they also leave cigarette butts and stuff.

lmao

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my parents have a corner lot. besides the extra street parking i dont see the appeal

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i live on a dead end street tho so i guess maybe different strokes?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Awia posted:

why are dogs allowed in public buildings anyway, wtf

'my dog is a service animal' (*cause i said so) is some seriously hosed up poo poo that makes me really loving mad

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/Service-Comfo...rds=service+dog

loving hosed up

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

people sure are mad about dogs itt.

dogs are fine its "people" that im mad at actually

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i had trouble believing that pet rent was a widespread and normalized thing until we got here

we're lucky to merely be paying $60/month for a 14 lb terrier

lmao

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

The City of Portland has filed suit against Uber Technologies Inc. in Multnomah County Circuit Court, after documenting that the California-based company started operating private-for hire transportation services in the city.

The lawsuit seeks declaratory relief that Uber is subject to and in violation of the City of Portland’s Private for Hire Transportation Regulations and Administrative Rules. The City’s lawsuit is asking for a declaration by the court that Uber is subject to the City’s regulations. The lawsuit also asks the Court to order Uber to stop operating in Portland until it is in compliance with the City’s safety, health and consumer protection rules.

Transportation Director Leah Treat on Monday morning issued a Cease and Desist Order to Uber. The order was cited in the lawsuit.

“I am hereby directing that Uber Technologies Inc…. or any other Uber affiliate entity immediately cease and desist operating within the City of Portland until such time as appropriate permits are obtained and Uber is in full compliance with the requirements of Portland City Code Chapter 16.40,” Treat wrote. “Please alert all Uber-affiliated drivers that they are to cease and desist.”

“Our main concern is public health and safety, because the state invested in the cities the responsibility to do that,” Mayor Charlie Hales said. “Beyond that, though, is the issue of fairness. Taxi cab companies follow rules on public health and safety. So do hotels and restaurants and construction companies and scores of other service providers. Because everyone agrees: good regulations make for a safer community. Uber disagrees, so we’re seeking a court injunction.”

City Commissioner Steve Novick, who oversees PBOT, said the City is prepared to issue civil and criminal penalties against Uber and its drivers for operating without required permits and inspections. The City of Portland requires permits for drivers and companies that offer taxi or executive sedan service within the city limits.

it's not a taxi its disruptive

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
both ppl I know who own a pig and don't like.. live on a farm.. they boy live in south Louisiana. idk what that means

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
cris p bacon, the pig, on the nova about disabled pets was awesome lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
isn't there some joke about a Cajun and a pig w/ a peg leg? hang on

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
From the folks over at KBON:
One night T-Nom walks into a bar with a pig. The bartender says " Hey T-Nom, long tome no see. Man, that's a great looking pig, but why does he have a wooden leg?"
T-Nom says, "Joe, I gotta tell you about this pig. He is one special pig. One night my house was on fire and he dragged me to safety. Saved my life."
The bartender says. "Wow, that's great. But why does he have a wooden leg?"
T-Nom continues, " One time I was out in the pirogue checking my trout lines and the boat flipped over. This pig swam me to safety. Saved my life."
The bartender says, "That's really terrific T-Nom, but why the wooden leg?"
T-Nom continues, "Joe, I have to tell you, really, this is a very special pig. Last week during a thunderstorm my roof collapsed and this pig run in and pulled me out. Saved my life."
Finally the bartender says, "T-Nom from what you are telling me, I have to agree, that IS one special pig. He saved you from a fire, an earthquake and from drowning. But WHY IN THE WORLD DOES HE HAVE A WOODEN LEG?"
T-Nom says, "Well Joe, when you have a pig this special, it's just not right to eat all of it at one time."

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dogs in the office are hugely disruptive

uhh, yeha thats kind of the loving point

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we have a guy who sometimes trains diabetic alert dogs for an organization that sells them to ppl who need them. his dogs are rly well behaved and really stay the gently caress out of the way to the point that you dont notice them beyond 'ugh i wish i could pet u, ur a good dog'

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress is a diabetic alert dog for

it's 2014

how can it possibly be cheaper or better to train a dog than wear a loving insulin pump

edit: i just realized the answer is "san francisco landlords." you get a $20,000 diabetic alert dog in order to smuggle it into your terrible house despite the lease you voluntarily signed

idk but we hooked a friend of a friend up w/ the company he does the training for cause they were looking for one

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i started googling and the famous hunting lab kennel here was like the 4th thing down, apparently they train them. weird.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

poty posted:

i read that an option to carry out the ban is to ask the telco providers to just block connections to the uber servers which is a pretty novel idea that might work

lmao

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my daughter's dentist has a golden or smth but he was just chillin in a back hallway and i noticed him while we were paying or w/e. idk if hes a service dog, the dentist is in a wheelchair tho so maybe

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wouldn't want a noisy bullshit dog but if it's one of those big mopey dogs with big sad eyes that's content to just curl up for a few hours and occasionally let out a big ol' *sigh* then hell yeah bring on that office dog

ive got one of these and he owns. he won't get his lazy rear end of the couch half the time tho lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

lol cmon son

whitest dog, whitest medical profession

idk he strikes me as the 'i am capable of doing this myself i don't need a service dog' type of guys

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

Under that standard I shouldn't be paid for walking to or from the restroom or kitchen because I'm traveling to or from my office.

apparently you've had pretty good jobs youre whole life lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

A federal appeals court had let the suit proceed. Amazon and various staffing agencies it uses could have been required to pay as many as 400,000 workers back wages amounting to $100 million or more, according to plaintiffs’ attorneys involved in the case.

but no it's not ~a lot~ of time

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

As a Millennial I posted:

there's plenty of poor white people working in warehouses too

yeah but according to yospos its ok because theyre the ones that deserve it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i assume in america you already gotta clock in only after youve put on your uniform, unlocked the front door etc, and clock out as the first thing when shift ends

uhh, yeah

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol weighed, like your weight doesn't fluctuate multiple pounds a day and some lovely ring is going to tip the scales

they weigh at the pot farm here and i always thought the same thing

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

infernal machines posted:

how's BP doing in the gulf?

We have a multi-billion dollar investment programme under way in the Gulf of Mexico, focusing on deepwater oil and gas development

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Following the Deepwater Horizon incident, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) suspended or debarred various BP companies from entering into new contracts with the US government or renewing existing ones.

BP entered into an agreement with the EPA in March 2014, resolving all debarment and suspension matters. Under this agreement, which will apply for five years, BP has agreed to a set of safety and operations, ethics and compliance and corporate governance requirements, including those contained in the 2012 criminal plea agreement and settlement with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The agreement means that BP is once again eligible to enter into new contracts with the US government, including deepwater drilling leases in the Gulf of Mexico.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

uncurable mlady posted:

think about how much time we're stealing from our job creator ubermenschen right now by posting

unf

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
use coupon code yourefired for uber discounts

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

I'm just weirded out that they contract out their contracting

its brilliant

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
groasted

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

A woman in London said she was sexually harassed by an Uber driver who asked if she liked blow jobs and offered to pull down a side street and perform "sucky sucky" on her during her route.

The unidentified woman, who shared emails of her exchange with Uber about the incident with Newsweek, described the March encounter as scary. According to Newsweek, she first contacted Uber after the hellish ride telling the company "Driver was very forward and quite creepy. Asked me if I wanted him to go down on me. Not cool."

A marketing manager who responded to her complaint via email apologized, referring to the incident with the driver as an "intrusive experience." The marketing manager then told her the company was "already investigating this with [the driver] and I can assure you that the necessary actions will be taken to avoid a similar incident in future." The email she received from the company concluded with a thank you to her from bringing the issue to their attention. "[While] painful to hear, it's the best way for us to address any incidents like this," it stated.

She then received another response from a different Uber representative, which said the company was "shocked" to learn about her experience. According to Newsweek, the email stated "while things like this should definitely not happen in the first place, in the unlikely event that they do occur we have the full details of the driver, trip and rider on our systems so that we can immediately investigate any concerns raised."

The company then offered her a £20 ($31) credit, signing the email "Sorry again for such an un-Uber experience."

lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yes, Uber drivers are munching rug.

the uber experience

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

you know what would be great in this sort of situation? a camera in the car. of course thise most in need of monitoring wouldn't put them in voluntarily so we would need some sort of central authority to require them or something.

antibody ever heard of such a crazy thing existing?

our taxi laws require them now but uber doesn't follow our taxi laws lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

daft punk railroad posted:

the cash cab ran over and killed a person one time and it's still less guilty than Uber

omg

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh, it was in canada. and not even while filming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol if ur 'exclusive club' doesn't have a five-and-a-half-figure initiation fee

• Locked thread