Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:rip: werewolf jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's like 40 systems that fit that descriptor, all of which are basically carcasses lying in the grass, smoke coming up from them in great plumes

first and worst of the languages that businessfolks were supposed to write: COBOL

there's a couple of extremely-special-purpose things that work by plugging modules together visually and are usable, but the ones i can think of are things like gnuradio's flowgraph which if they aren't programmers-only are programmer-adjacent

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

listen everyone knows BIG SPORTSCAR has been imposing steering wheels with outmoded concepts like "able to turn past 90 degrees" and "isn't slippery as gently caress" on the world and tesla are going to disrupt the gently caress out of that

KITT had a similar 'wheel' as seen in this regular car review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VlRnRPk9k

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cheekio posted:

Conversely, lying to and cheating money lenders is a mitzvah, so it's a gray area.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

all burritoes made with good intent are good burritos

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you not having heard of people calling it out it does not change it being important, and you are misstating the problem badly: if the previous layer can be described by local functions then an additional layer does not provide global information of this connected nature, and it is a real question what global concepts can then be established

isn't that why you stack conv layers?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

i kind of hope that some enterprising da takes this up and uses rico to take down facebook, but also decides to prosecute the journalists

you dont theyd only go after propublica

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

as well as every rich person.

what im getting at is pizza gate is probably true.

the bizarre thing about pizzagate isn't the existence of such a ring, it's that they'd communicate through coded messages and meet in a public place

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

most of them are just swindlers for the very rich

good for them.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

is nbsd getting mad about the february revolution or the october one

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

have you never been in a grocery store with a faulty seafood counter

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eschaton posted:

mostly they’re curiosities because approximately all of the AI/ML stuff today is built on neural networks and related “do lots of statistics on large datasets” techniques which aren’t about “symbolic processing” at all

my glib comment that I wish Lisp Machines would’ve seen a resurgence should be understood as implying that symbolic processing should have also seen a resurgence, because hardware was also grossly underpowered for it the last time around, and given a lot more storage and CPU it could conceivably produce some interesting results

to me 'symbolic processing' means stuff like computer algebra, what kind of things are you thinking of?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

how did she drive home if her car was in the kinkos

you wouldnt copy a car

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't have a garage. My house predates the Model T.

my house was built in 1835 and it has a garage

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

look out here comes my mons lol

weird al's rejected pixies cover

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

only 'future shock' i care about came with this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

doesnt china also execute ceos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Doom Mathematic posted:

I hate Perl and everything it stands for.

i wrote a tiny little bit of perl this week for the first time in years if not decades because the alternative would have been bash

• Locked thread