Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

linux, linux, linux!

you only need 2-3 commands to linux okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I've had the extreme misfortune of inadvertently meeting one of these people

franklin?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

How Git shows the patriarchal nature of the software industry.

Git is a Distributed Source Control Manager (DSCM), a piece of software that enables software developers to keep track of the code changes in a project progressively over time without relying on a centralised database. It was created by Linus Torvalds, more famous for his other major creation, Linux. It was a novel Open Source alternative to the existing SCMs, allowing developers from all over the world to collaborate in a new, dynamic fashion; even when they were unable to access the internet. As a result, it and other DSCMs have become the dominant tools of this nature in Open Source projects.

Every time a developer wants to share her bug fix or improvement with others in her team, she makes a commit which is a description of the differences between it and the last commit. This commit is labelled with a short comment describing in plain English the changes made for the benefit of the other developers. It is also labelled with the name and email address of the developer who made the commit.

This is where we start running in to problems. If you ever want to change your name on your commits, say you have been married, divorced or chosen a name more congruent with your gender identity, you have to make what is called a "destructive action".

To try and put it simply, the author of a commit is tied in to the identity of the commit itself. If you change the author, it's treated as an entirely new commit. Anyone who has grabbed a copy of your original commit and made subsequent changes on top of it finds themselves orphaned from the history of the project. To use a crude analogy, it's like you rip the trunk of a tree out, while the branches are magically left hanging in the air, connected to nothing and isolated.

In practice this would be almost impossible for you to do. Even if you controlled the project, your contributors would have to rewrite all the changes they had made, potentially taking hundreds of hours depending on the size of the project.

Of course this problem has never been significant for the vast majority of the software developer community. Even in today's day and age, the majority of people who get a name change are going to be married/divorced women. It has probably never crossed the minds of the creators of Git that this could be such a huge problem to a non-cis or non-male person.

There are a few workarounds to mitigate this problem, the most obvious being to grin and bear it. Unfortunately this isn't an option for many trans software developers who open themselves up to discrimination if they are forced to reveal their trans status by disclosing their assigned at birth name. Women who have gone through divorce may find their surname from their marriage to be upsetting and want to disassociate themselves from it.

Another option is to use a handle/pseudonym. This is also fraught with problems. Even if you are able to predict your one day need for it, if you are developing in a professional capacity this can come across as unprofessional to many current and future employers.

This has personally affected me. I am now having to distance myself from a large and popular Open Source project that I co-founded and which was at least partly responsible for me getting my current job. Just another example of how a seemingly small, normative assumption can have profound negative effects on minorities.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and here i am begging people just to set a drat name in git before committing anything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

also people change their names/emails all the time and its not like they feel a need to retroactively go back in time and remove all prior record of the previous name/email

just update any instances of your previous name/email in the current repo and update your config jeez

die techie/cis scum

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:zaeed:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

are they running out of usernames or something what the gently caress

also, no tumblr, i havent opened your site since i made the account, keep the goddamn username

they should do the same thing with .com domains

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the Overwatch truck at PAX east took out a car lmao

https://twitter.com/nuii37/status/723662395374182400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eww. don't encourage bicycles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/hotdoorknobs/status/809927964674719744

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

This is how I want to die.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i just want a good dog. is that too much to ask for?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hifi posted:

you can go wherever you want on a bicycle though

ya if u like going slow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

blugu64 posted:

bikes are cool,and good, but more lanes are good too

incorrect on both counts, unless u are talking about car lanes then ya

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:lol:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ArmZ posted:

lol HEB is garbage compared to wegmans

hahahahahah

*catches breath*

hahahahaha

no

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/868246918329192451

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

you mean this one?

Joe Bob Explains Enron

Here's how Enron works. It's really quite simple. Ismail is a successful mule trader in Peshawar. Every year Ismail delivers 30 mules to the Kabul Mule Market and gets $40 per mule.

This year, however, the Khyber Pass is full of warlord militias, so Ismail is not sure he can drive his mules to market without losing a mule here and there. Also, the demand for mules in Kabul seems to be dropping. Maybe he'll only be able to sell 20 mules, or, God forbid, 15, and then be forced to feed and water the rest of them on a money-losing trek back home.

In other words, it's a scary market and Ismail is worried about feeding his family.

What Ismail needs is to limit his risk with an Enron derivatives package. First he pays $2 per mule for a Khyber Pass Derivative, so that any mule killed or stolen by warlords will be reimbursed at the rate of $20 per mule--half the going market rate, but still better than taking a total loss.

Next he buys Enron Mule Futures. For $28 per contract, he guarantees delivery of a mule in three months time. He takes 15 of these, figuring that a guaranteed $28 mule sale is better than showing up in Kabul and discovering that the mule buyers have been killed by stray bombs.

Meanwhile, at the Enron Mule Trading Desk in Houston, eagle- eyed yuppies are studying the worldwide mule markets and starting to have their doubts about those $28 delivery contracts. Mule use is dropping all over Afghanistan, even as the mule count is dwindling. Better resell eight of those 15 contracts to a European commodities broker for $24 each, then make up that $32 loss somewhere else while cutting the company's exposure in half. But how to hedge the risk on the other seven?

Aha! A blip on the computer screen. A temporary mule shortage in southern Iran! With a current mule price of $42 in Tehran, Enron could offer a Linked Mule Swap Double Derivative tied to the gap between the price of mules delivered in Kabul on a given date and the price in Tehran on the same date. Sure, you would rather have the quick-and-clean Iran sale, instead of the sale in Kabul that requires trucking the mules to a foreign market. But even if you add in $4 per mule for transport through militia-held territory and averaged the markets together, you can still clear eight bucks just on the gap alone.

Enron's average price-per-future-mule is now $32.57 when you include the $4-per-mule loss on the mule futures dumped in Europe. But based on the amazing $12 Kabul/Tehran trading gap, they can easily put together a "delivery in either market" contract that will allow them to ask $36 per mule on their Mule Online internet trading system. The first mule future sells instantly for $36 and the price bobs up to $36.50, two mules go for $36.75, and then there's a big jump for the last three mules to $37.90. Enron has now offloaded all their price-based mule futures liability for a profit of $31.70.

But this doesn't mean they're out of the mule market in Central Asia. It's still two months until Ismail delivers his 30 mules, and Enron is on the hook for his Khyber Pass derivative insurance policy. Things are not looking good in that part of the world, either. The chances of a mule being picked off as a road- passage tax are pretty high, and the loss of the whole herd would be a $600 liability. Quickly the financial boys go to work and part of that liability is resold to a consortium of Singapore banks, Australian mutual funds, and Saudi Arabian arms merchant Adnan Kashoggi, thereby reducing Enron's percentage to 25 per cent, or $150 in potential liability against a $15 premium (remember the $2 per mule paid by Ismail), and Enron also takes a brokerage fee of $20 from the three other partners, thereby reducing its real liability to just $120.

But that's still too much of a spread, so Enron continues to hedge. Fortunately the company has such a diversified trading floor that Enron mule-market experts can walk over to the traders in the warlord-militia derivatives department. Sure enough, there are at least four tribes near the Khyber Pass who are increasingly concerned about profit margins. There simply aren't enough people to rob. Things have gotten so bad, in fact, that the warlords are hedging against the oncoming winter by taking futures positions in stolen chickens, stolen humanitarian aid trucks, and western hostages. There's not a mule market yet, because the warlords have successfully converted many of the recalcitrant villagers into pack animals. But Enron knows how to MAKE markets.

Quickly the numbers-crunchers go to work, and they soon determine that the average number of stolen mules per 100-man militia is 1.4 per year. That represents anywhere from $28 to $56 in lost mule-thievery income if the Khyber Pass is closed or inhospitable to traders from Pakistan. Amortizing that amount over 12 months, the warlords have an exposure of anywhere from $2.33 to $4.67 per month in lost pillage. Hence Enron announces the new Highway Robbery Derivative, in which each tribe is guaranteed the value of two stolen mules in each 12-month period in return for paying a premium of $4 per month.

Enron's hedge is now complete, and it's a beautiful thing to behold. The chances of Ismail losing a mule to a raiding party are approximately one in 30, or 3.33 per cent. Since he's paying $60 for his derivative contract, the expected loss of 3.33 per cent of his herd would result in a payment of only $20--a more than comfortable spread. Meanwhile, if the mule is stolen by a warlord holding a Highway Robbery Derivative, then the payment to the other side would only be $28 against premiums of $48. If Ismail simply passes through the Khyber Pass without incident and sells all his mules at the standard price, Enron pockets $60 from Ismail and $48 each from four warlords, in addition to the previous profit of $31.70 from that heady Internet mule-futures trading day and the $20 in packaging commissions. If each warlord steals his standard 1.4 mules per year, then Enron still owes six-tenths of one mule to the warlord, or about $22.20 based on a $37 sale price.

Total expected profit, based on 5.6 stolen mules, one of which is stolen from Ismail: $143.20.

Total profit from all Ismail-related mule transactions: $194.90.

See, it's simple when you know how it works. Ask Arthur Andersen.

didn't read

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol twitter should ban trump. would be funny

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

new tesla looks like trash yet costs a lot of money. also doesn't go very far and i have to recharge it like my goddamn phone? like it's usb3 or something? ya, i'm gonna jump right on that lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also good luck reselling a car that has all the appeal of a dealextreme android tablet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:thunk:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

in other news, somehow reddit raised $200 million which they will be using to add user-uploaded video which seems like an excellent idea

at this point I'm fully convinced that anyone who's gently caress you rich and keeps working is mentally ill

I'm sure the reddit homegroan community will be thrilled

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

30k will get you a nice 2005-7 lotus

not really what I'm looking for in a daily driver

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't listen to old bald beatniks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

"Reached 1.97:1 KDR with Scouts in TF2"

ban all scouts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vodkat posted:

Has anyone posted this shitshow yet?

https://qz.com/1043614/this-startup-learned-the-hard-way-that-you-do-not-piss-off-open-source-programmers/

Startup brogrammers hide their analytics poo poo in open source plugins that they bought (!?!) because you need machine learning to autocomplete def(butt): print ("poop") in atom.

lmao they even bought sidebarenhancements. glad I haven't used that poo poo in a long time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Physical air vents are best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdmoEWabg4

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

man, remember when the internet was good?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

i liked when i just used the internet to go to zeldapower.com and learn about zelda 64

did you ever learn how to find the triforce in zelda 64?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

cars are gr8. it would suck to be poor and have to ride a bus.

yeah, i don't know how people do public transportation. it sucks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/900425924675592193

:agreed:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://thenewstack.io/node-js-forked-complaints-repeated-harassment/

quote:

The codebase for popular Node.js JavaScript runtime has been forked again — the second time in less than three years — with a growing number of contributors charging that the Technical Steering Committee (TSC) leadership is ignoring repeated violations of the project’s code of conduct.

The new project, called Ayo, has already been set up on GitHub, and will be managed under an open governance model.

The complaints centered around ongoing behavior of NodeSource Director of Engineering, and Node.js TSC member Rod Vagg. The TSC received multiple complaints from Node.js members about a Tweet from Vagg promoting a Men’s Rights Activist-slanted article, one that cast doubt on the validity of project Code-of-Conducts. In that Tweet, Vagg commented “If you’ve never considered the potential downsides of codes of conduct, here’s a good place to start.”

rod

vagg

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this ayo fork of node.js is so dumb. they've disabled comments and issues on it so I can't tell them how stupid the name "ayo" is.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thanks benzos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

bonus reminder: samsung released bad expensive tvs this year and is trying to compete with oled by calling their [inferior] technology "qled"

"qled" is the most samsung thing ever

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

notch is a piece of poo poo we are all aware

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/billwright/status/902272845052600320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gordon ramsey pops out and yells at me if the chicken is raw, or if the chicken was cooked any longer than it needed to be

• Locked thread