Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hy, gm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
they were trying to make sauerkraut but lacked patience

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pointers posted:

why do nerds hate fixing things so much that they gotta engineer new problems isntead

because failing at a R&D science project hurts ego less than failing at a simple fix

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hook to snag leftists before they question too much of the status quo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

presumably trying to say sister in law's brother in law

me?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i went to my uncle's mother's funeral and i'm flabbergasted how many people assume I'm an adult who's lived my entire life in america and somehow never learned the word "grandmother" or would choose an abstruse description of the relationship instead of choosing the words that uniquely identify someone given the assumption that I'm not an idiot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

replace all signal lights with roundabouts, problem solved

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
traffic on the street goes forward, not right or left

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

basically his take was that from a user experience perspective qr codes are dead now that there's nfc

"now" lol

nfc was a dead end until apple glanced back at it a few months ago

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FrozenVent posted:

nfc's that thing where you just tap your credit card on a thing and walk off?

yeah that's so dead I only used it twice today lol

i kept hearing it pitched like an alternative to btle and it's just not

toys to life is the other huge prescence

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

imo if a reader supports nfc and u swipe a nfc card it should use the nfc instead of the swipey bit

rf isn't aligned for that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i stood outside a real estate office in shenzhen trying to do currency/time conversions in my head for less than 30 seconds before getting swarmed with agents trying to help me

also seen ridiculously priced cars with ridiculously offputting paintjobs (like a purple bentley?) outside mixc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

anyway i later found out that that story was actually from a movie, lol. i still tell it to people (with this qualification) when it seems appropriate though because i think despite the white racism it has a nice message about grief and revenge.

it turned out to be from a movie, but torture totally worked this one time, lets keep tellin that story!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Poniard posted:

every time i want to make something with oculus rift i always get told "noone will buy that" or on the other end "the military probably alreayd has something like that" so noone helps me with my bullshit

google cardboard is better than it has any right to be

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

it's a piece of cardboard (with some lenses in them that actually do the thing)

right but it's 90% of the effect of oculus for less than $5 so if that poster's got ideas that would require it, it's a much cheaper way to test it out or get to mvp

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

more like "lol wake me up when 3d printers can make integrated circuits cheaply"

this would be a big loving deal, even if the resulting ICs had 100x the feature size of state-of-the-art processes. unfortunately you can't spray molten pure silicon and have them turn into semiconductor circuits because that poo poo needs to be a single crystal to do its job and rapidly-cooling substances don't crystallize, they turn into an aggressively non-crystalline soft blob instead. at least that's my very limited understanding of the processes involved, i'm sure jawn or whoever will gladly explain the main ways in which i'm full of poo poo.

idk what ic's you would print that wouldn't be served much better with a core, sensor kit and the capability to print i2c capable lines

where is this falling between arduino and rpi that still needs ic-printing flexibility

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what's the mechanical machine bootstrapping sequence? like to build a mill you need a lathe first

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

good. people appreciate meaningful stories with life lessons in them, even if they aren't literally true. it's why aesop is famous after all.

im having a hard time picking out what part of this ridiculous tower you've built around defending this structure of narrative couldn't be used to justify the torture narrative out of zero dark thirty

"oh of COURSE it didn't happen but we all KNOW torture works so its totally ok to put it in a movie and jack off to the movie"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i know what my friends worked on pre-palantir and it was sufficiently scary

they had some slides in the big leak with that guy who got tricked by teen anons, was something like "recruited asset who could utilize said intel and acquire and extract unfriendly personnel"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
um ill just take the simple reductive narrative tyvm

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"we got actual professionals. i heard this field was full of manchildren, how do i turn turn professionals into that???"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the most ridiculous part of that fantasy is uber actually making a capital expenditure that opens them up to liability. as if they wouldn't 1099 'drone car operators' to take the fall

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

also i rented a uhaul truck for a move one time... never again. I was seconds away from complete destruction from the second I left my house until the second i brought it back.

during our last move we rented 2 trucks, it was a big stupid effort and im p. sure i broke a law blowing past a weight checkin. penske was so much better than uhaul, who cancelled my reservation and signed me up for a multi-thousand dollar replacement without bothering to tell me about the swap

but what i really enjoyed about both of them was the information that was present in the rearview and printed on the visible side of the truck in both side mirrors

what information do you want the renter to have available very quickly in an emergency situation? so much so that you'd print it out 5 different places?
height of the vehicle

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

could you imagine a republican admin today?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it doesn't have to be a ride they'll pick up a box or a dog or w/e

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
needs to be a car service for courriel

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Main Paineframe posted:

no don't you see, *~*+the algorithms+*~* only take away the money you don't need

appeal to algorithms pisses me off

"well, once we have gigs of sensor data in the cloud we'll pick up a pattern or something!!?"

gently caress you, write me C code that does this task or you're just making poo poo up

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

Big Data is a joke

the problem is s/w people are accustomed to lying, then pulling through in the clutch

so i can't point out that a giant core feature of their product is missing and explain that it's pretty risky to dedicate a bunch of professionals when I don't believe they'll pull through

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

born on a buy you posted:

wild. it seems like jumping jobs for a large raise would be good. lol that loans require you to stay at your job. "not only are you fixed to this job market physically. you are contractually chained to your current job"

you're blurring the pretty stark line between "until closing" and "the duration of the loan" here

i just know i get a really big break on my taxes because i'm paying up into a higher class of wealth than renters

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nintendo Kid posted:

most people don't feel

same

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

uncurable mlady posted:

Making! Big Weather?
Data, Actionable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Leck posted:

why do people who have spent years standing next to giant speaker cabinets think they're experts on the subtlety of high pitched audio?

I liked where he explained how his setup controlled for volume

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but the most important, and frightening, consequence is in healthcare: doctors and nurses have the same number of hours in the day as they ever did.

and they're still etching charts onto stone tablets and discussing results by telegram so

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in contrast to h.p. hovercraft's experience:
  • thus far computerization hasn't allowed doctors to make 100x as many diagnoses in an hour
  • no advances in technology have made nurses able to check 100x as many patients for bedsores
  • pharmaceutical research costs don't go down because trials still involve people and animals

still think you're cherry picking irreducibly complex bits and ignoring efficiencies like not having to monitor critical patients 1:1 overnight when equipment readings can all be routed to a single doctor

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
great, we've stretched the definition to 'anything involving talking to another human'

guess all consulting will face the same terrible fate

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
guys, guys, it turns out uber drivers can clear a quarter million: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonyoushaei/2015/02/04/the-uberpreneur-how-an-uber-driver-makes-252000-a-year/

a) it's the wife's jewelry shop the thread brought up earlier
b) can uber crack down without violating 1099 rules??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

duTrieux. posted:

heh, check out fuckin' diogenes over here

barrel stymie

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
gimli is actually really tall

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004