Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

yeah, i don't know how people do public transportation. it sucks.

its easy, I just go to the bus stop and get on the bus. Then then driver takes me to work and I get off the bus and go to work.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have coworkers that commute up to 2 hours one way as well, most of them do it because that's how far you have to go to be able to afford buying a house.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

"Too inclusive" lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Same. I'd buy a blocky mine craft esque yacht and go gently caress around all over the place. If you're gonna be rich ad balls you might as well enjoy it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fireflies
Shrimp
Chinatown

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

could you plausibly just throw up your hands and go 'gently caress this' and never work another day in your life? you're rich

Agreed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

my company pays out bonuses every quarter at the quarter's end, metrics are concrete- clearly defined- and attainable, and the bonus amount itself is a set percentage of your salary that's the same for everyone with your title

:smug:

i don't get any bonus at all

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im taking community college courses to become a butthole laser technician

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a spider just came down from the ceiling and drowned in my coffee

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

here's a game about being an ai that makes paperclips http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

if you're someone who got their brain broken by cookie clicker you should not click that link

this games cool

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my electricity bill fluctuates anywhere between $12 and $120 a month depending on the season. these estimates are way too high

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

here's what counts as utilities

quote:

Utilities: it includes both the costs below as reported by renters in the Consumer expenditure survey, specifically:
Utilities, fuels and public services
Household operations
Housekeeping supplies
Household furnishings and equipment
Furniture
Floor coverings
Major appliances
Small appliances, miscellaneous housewares
Miscellaneous household equipment

it's estimate for me specifically is literally 10X what i actually spend on these items

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 19, 2017

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cheese please

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this stuff is ok

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bump_fn posted:

its p lol that tech workers will always be too loving full of themselves to unionize and thus i will not shed a tear when they die at their terminals at 38

lol :smith:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i wanna retire

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

haveblue posted:

That’s like asking what you get if a werewolf bites an actual wolf

wolf that turns into wolfman on full moons obviously

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Man how do I get a few cool mil for a goddammed terrible idea

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Got ahead by knowing the answers

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

meatpotato posted:

wtf

I permanently deleted my facebook account in 2013

proof (and I did not reactivate it during the 14 day window):

these suspicious emails arrived today that look like phishing, but are actually from facebook:

clicking the button logged me back into an account* that was supposedly permanently deleted four years ago. All the photos, friends, posts, etc. were there.

lying creeps

* No password required, btw

Facebook is garbage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've eaten mushrooms I foraged too and it's not that hard if you know what you're doing​. If you're relying on an app tho you probably don't know what you're doing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mushrooms make tons of different interesting molecules and some of them happen to be very toxic to humans

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

GameCube posted:

twitter is loving brain poison

most of the internet is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My friends gf has an Amex that gets denied pretty much everywhere I see her try to use it lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

of course giving a poo poo about your employees is "bad for business," it costs money to do it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nice polite republicans

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah good article, I agree with most if not all of the points you made. Apps in particular are loving bullshit for monetization. No one wants to pay for anything anymore, too many free "ad supported" garbage services that go belly up every other year.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dc3k posted:

i think facebook is doing this. i was trying to comment on a post for an event and as soon as i started typing, the page would refresh telling me the content was no longer available. had to get the app to do anything reasonable. posting/interacting with photos is also very bad on mobile web.

imgur i dont mind because their mobile app is very nice for viewing albums

they definitely are. they intentionally made their android app bad a while back to see when people would abandon it, and they have no qualms manipulating their users. i find that their mobile web likes to only load about 3 pictures from any given album and never display the rest no matter what. facebook is garbage.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Triglav posted:

im a big fan of the surgeon that branded his initials into people's organs

lmao what a sociopath. time to sign my masterpiece *lasers your organs unnecessarily*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no way in hell is seattle 326k lmao

I'm pretty sure it's literally twice that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they are probably using the entire metro area

i'm sure you can buy a dump an hour away from city limits for 326k

perhaps but even that might be a stretch. Median home in city limits is 750k and it isn't that sharp a drop as you go further out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

quote:

A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program prepared by its director at the time asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered. Mr. Reid’s request for the special designation was denied.

lol these guys are in a sci-fi movie

e:

quote:

Under Mr. Bigelow’s direction, the company modified buildings in Las Vegas for the storage of metal alloys and other materials that Mr. Elizondo and program contractors said had been recovered from unidentified aerial phenomena. Researchers also studied people who said they had experienced physical effects from encounters with the objects and examined them for any physiological changes.

good thing they modified buildings to put crap in

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 16, 2017

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why is soylent still in business

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

got it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

who wouldn't love a little dick touch up

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*leases a device that prints money*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rex-Goliath posted:

the only solution i could come up with was 'actually since i'm smaller my surface area to mass ratio is way skewed so i probably have the friction to climb the side of the glass or at least hold myself above the blades' but i knew that if i'd actually used that the interviewer would have just gone 'lol nah it's slippery try again'

id think you'd get hypothermia pretty fast because of the surface to mass ratio and probably die not long after shrinking. i guess it depends on how small were talking here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Google has decent support for their software libraries. We've found a few bugs in them at work before and they're pretty responsive about issues you get when trying to use their stuff

• Locked thread