Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Sorry, I only give my money to Noble Multinational Corporation of the Light Valve instead of Evil Empire Electronic Arts. In addition, I am eight years old and like it when the train goes really fast like chugga chugga choo choo.

Why would I pay money to EA for a game that looks bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

univbee posted:

I've heard bad things but I suspect it's the kind of thing you can deal with if you accept that it's a 360 game.

Note that it's only available on disc (no digital edition) and it requires a hard drive (you can't use USB storage for the install) and a 7.2 gig install.

PS3 version is available digitally if that's an option for you.

Well, hard drive isn't an issue but no digital edition is kinda meh. Don't have a PS3 anymore, so I guess I'll just wait a few months and find a used/on sale copy for $25 and go from there. Thanks for the reply.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did anyone list titanfall as their goty.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Maybe some gamer who has been in a coma since the Atari era or something played Titanfall immediately after waking up and said "holy poo poo, I can play a video game with 11 other players AT THE SAME TIME?" and now it's his favorite game ever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its amazing how hyped up titanfall was and a week later everyone forgot about it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I read the making-of ebook thing and frankly, it's amazing that game turned out decent at all. Development was an ENORMOUS clusterfuck.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Stick of Truth is a great game and is worth playing even if you're not a fan of the series itself. The mechanics are fun and easy to pick up and it stands as a good game on its own.

You know, I enjoyed the poo poo out of SoT, but I don't know if I'd agree with this so much. I do think that it stands up as a good game on its own, and is worth playing, but there's plenty of things that suck about it.

* There's a ton of running around for quests.
* The combat is kinda meh. As funny as the attacks are, only having two party members to work with at a time was pretty garbage. Plus, even if you've powerleveled a bit, there's still a fair number of one-shot attacks, and it's just generally assumed that you're going to have revive/fullheal items because you're doing all the side quests.
* Most of the equipment doesn't actually make a gigantic difference in your stats; you care more about the slots that it has for the badges. Namely, because so many enemies have one-shot attacks (or at least "so much damage that you'll need to healpot next round"), you want weapons and abilities that can stun, which means putting elemental damage on everything.
* If you're an aspie completionist like me, there's a bunch of content that is only available in one-time areas; if you miss it, the only way to 100% the game is to restart it, when you're only an hour in. I missed one of the Chinpokomon in the UFO scene with Randy, and didn't realize it until the end of the game; my reaction was "welp, won't get 100% on this run, but can't be arsed to sink another 20 hours into it to replay it from the beginning."

At the same time, it was one of the better RPGs I played in 2014, because despite all of the above, it wasn't bad enough to offend me and make me stop playing -- plus, I like juvenile humor and casting fart-based magic, so the game was hilarious enough for me to keep going.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ullerrm posted:

You know, I enjoyed the poo poo out of SoT, but I don't know if I'd agree with this so much. I do think that it stands up as a good game on its own, and is worth playing, but there's plenty of things that suck about it.

* There's a ton of running around for quests.
* The combat is kinda meh. As funny as the attacks are, only having two party members to work with at a time was pretty garbage. Plus, even if you've powerleveled a bit, there's still a fair number of one-shot attacks, and it's just generally assumed that you're going to have revive/fullheal items because you're doing all the side quests.
* Most of the equipment doesn't actually make a gigantic difference in your stats; you care more about the slots that it has for the badges. Namely, because so many enemies have one-shot attacks (or at least "so much damage that you'll need to healpot next round"), you want weapons and abilities that can stun, which means putting elemental damage on everything.
* If you're an aspie completionist like me, there's a bunch of content that is only available in one-time areas; if you miss it, the only way to 100% the game is to restart it, when you're only an hour in. I missed one of the Chinpokomon in the UFO scene with Randy, and didn't realize it until the end of the game; my reaction was "welp, won't get 100% on this run, but can't be arsed to sink another 20 hours into it to replay it from the beginning."

At the same time, it was one of the better RPGs I played in 2014, because despite all of the above, it wasn't bad enough to offend me and make me stop playing -- plus, I like juvenile humor and casting fart-based magic, so the game was hilarious enough for me to keep going.

The running around sucked and I wish they had more fast travel systems in it or, even better, some sort of cool interactive transport system to make it even better. The Al Gore fight was loving ridiculous for me but I think that's because I was retarded and not stacking debuffs. Still, I like fights where there's more than one way to do them, you know?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The combat was mostly poo poo and the game was crazy shallow, I have no idea why they even bothered using Obsidian frankly since it didn't have any of the hallmarks of an Obsidian game or anything. But it was still funny and good because South Park is funny and good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lovely combat is a hallmark of an Obsidian game, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

lovely combat is a hallmark of an Obsidian game, though.

They're really trying hard to make Pillars of Eternity's combat good, but I think that's an uphill battle considering it's Real Time with Pause. I personally would've just preferred having both RTwP and Turn Based toggles; you use Turn Based for the hard part of battles and RTwP for the clean-up or trash enemies who you can just murder with impunity.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've only messed around a little with PoE's combat, and my impression is that it's both not great and significantly better than any other RTWP except *maybe* the Dragon Age games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I've only played the first Dragon Age but the combat in that game was trash and nowhere near as good as infinity games

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

zen death robot posted:

holy poo poo you are a god damned idiot stux

wasnt he one of the 30 or so posters that inhabited fahrenheit 451's dystopic future where gigantic wall-screens repeatedly marquee'd the words "XBONE RAM" and they laughed like mildred and her friends aka the xbone loving sucks thread

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
all i know about stux is that he thinks heroin is good for you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

we need a revival of a thread making fun of TCC

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

we need a revival of a thread making fun of TCC

The TCC minecraft thread

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Got torched and made a giant dick with a Redstone circuit vein running up it out of your giant houses sorry guys

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

context, source and link

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the gbs thread that was about making fun of tcc posters last month but i cant search for it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Wait when was Stux a mod of TCC?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

context, source and link

ill look for it now

edit - looks like I was thinking of another goon, but Stux's posts in the TCC thread were still pretty bad

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684376&userid=105755&perpage=40

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

stux agrees with me on the superiority of mediaeval total war 1 so he can't be all bad

scraps69
Dec 28, 2014

Davincie posted:

stux agrees with me on the superiority of mediaeval total war 1 so he can't be all bad

Just pedophile level bad heh.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont have a problem with stux

his view on stick of truth is bad and wrong tho

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i dont have a problem with stux

his view on stick of truth is bad and wrong tho

Agreed.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
my beef.. is with the grief

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

scraps69 posted:

wtf are you talking about

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
GAs

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

This threas is epic bad so i agree

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

I've only played the first Dragon Age but the combat in that game was trash and nowhere near as good as infinity games

After Dragons Dogma, every non-turn based rpg combat seems bad and boring to me.

Also, how to win in Dragon Age: Casta mana clash > cast storm of the century > done.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

scraps69 posted:

woah, wait, what?

dont throw the 'p' word around here!!!!!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

If you want the thread gone, close it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ArfJason posted:

If you want the thread gone, close it.

If the next couple of posts are not gaming related I'm doing that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

If the next couple of posts are not gaming related I'm doing that.
This is exactly Kuja's motivation in FF9.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kuja: Garland is a terrible poster with bad opinions. Just a real poo poo man with a bad beard and rear end. I am going to destroy this thread with Ultima.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is exactly Kuja's motivation in FF9.

This is actually a really good note to close this thread on. If anyone wants another chat thread a new one can get made; this one's like 50 pages anyways and it's almost a new year so I summon my eidolons and close this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691076

• Locked thread