Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
No man's sky looks great and exploration does sound appealing in theory, but I'm not sure I can play that sort of game unless I can do something like eliminate an entire species.

Or destroy the whole ecosystem a planet and then peace on out to the next system.

Will there be guns in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I recently replayed DE:HR and I had totally forgotten how garbage some parts were. The ending was extra hilarious in hindsight with all the mass effect 3 stuff

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined

[quote="exquisite tea" post="439179024"]
Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined to continue.

It's probably because I'm not very invested in the Mass Effect series, but the ending thing felt like a overreaction as if it diminished the whole long and beloved journey.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Frank Horrigan posted:

I don't know about Freelancer, but if you loved Freespace then you should definitely jump on that poo poo. Elite is definitely focusing more on the simulation side of things than the "having fun" side of things.

Is it a better and more interesting version of the X-series

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

I've played the first Mass Effect at least three times already so it's NBD, if you just console cheat your way to the best guns + armor you can mow through the not-so-good combat sections and enjoy the thrill of seeing your custom Shepard face in a wide array of dynamic lightning environments.

I liked the combat in the second one, almost makes me wanna play that 3rd person Xcom game to get that without all the story-stuff

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
A better question is perhaps: is it less spergy and more arcade-y?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm even if they rushed the game I bet the romance side-quests were super polished though, right?

Heeeeheeeheee

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I remember inadvertedly triggering one of the romance subplots in Jade Empire and it was super weird and unexpected but also hilarious.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Raimundus posted:

There is ship-to-ship combat, at least. You can see it in the trailer.

Raimundus posted:

There is ship-to-ship combat, at least. You can see it in the trailer.

Cool.

Been keeping myself in the dark about this one, first because I thought it was PS4 only but it seems to be coming for PC as well.

But I also think it's for the best not to speculate on this sort of game since you'll let your imagination get the better of you.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Wait you can do that with leliana? I just started playing DA:O for the first time and I asumed she was always going to be a garbage heap do-gooder

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I like to kill time by killing endless waves of enemies, preferably in single player so I can just quit when I need to. Is Killing Floor any good for that? Or is it like Payday 2 where I need other players with me in order to actually win (and therefore get my EXP)?

Time to get into them ARPGs, buddy

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The game feels way less tense and serious, could be that

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Probably buy it if you want it I guess?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Ddraig posted:

They're spending god knows how long and what they'll end up with is probably going to be roughly equivalent with the Xbox 360 controller since it's pretty much perfect already.

Maybe they could re-release the Xbox controller, fix the dodgy d-pad and call it a day.

The whole idea is to comfortably be able to play mouse controlled stuff with a controller though

Accordion Man posted:

Fleshpounds are way scarier than Tanks.

I mean the game feels more splatter-film and less race to the finish line while spooky tongue men lick you

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 20, 2014

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Didn't they also scrap the last one?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
That would probably be my reasoning to be fair

also it's a suicide mission so they should be dying anyway.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I played Gex on PC with a joystick.

Weird times, man.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

The Taint Reaper posted:

My brother wanted to know why Watch Dogs was regarded as such a terrible game and as he was describing what he was playing, it turns out he accidently bought Sleeping Dogs and played through it.

That was ubisofts marketing strategy, give the worst sandbox gta game a similar name to the best sandbox gta game

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I dunno, will it have tower climbing?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
All consoles seem pretty crappy to me

otoh 8 player smash bros

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Just get farcry 4 or red faction guerilla to scratch that itch until we know if it's good

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The problem is that they are two different games since Armageddon is strictly a linear experience.

I still found both to be fun

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hannibal Smith posted:

I know I'm really late to the party but I just finished Just Cause 2 last night and it was a drat good game. It felt like it could've been released today but it's, what, five years old? It felt really polished for an open-world game and I couldn't believe how big the world was and how much stuff there was to do.

So yeah, basically, if you don't have the game yet it's on sale on Steam so go buy it.

I judge open world games by mobility.

In GTA you go around an obstacle,
In Just Cause you go over it,
In Red Faction you go through it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Weeell, Farcry 3 was fun and 4 is more of the same. But I think most people are aware it's no piece of art.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Classic video games though

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

Tomb Raider was especially awesome because it was SHORT. Please make more short games, developers.

If by short you mean compact I agree. Too much loving padding these days.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I would probably have grown bored with Dead Space 3 if not for the co-op with a pal

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 24, 2014

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

How Rude posted:

maybe it's just me but all these indie pixel platformer roguelike games are more frustrating than they are fun

it would be cool if steam stopped plastering the main page with them too

Indie devs are worse than AAA-studios because there are more of 'em

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Jonathan blow video game fart

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Korean Archon? Nice.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sorry I can't read Korean

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What is your 2014 Game of the year?

- Must be released in 2014
- Platform does not matter
- A large DLC is an acceptable entry

My GotY is probably South Park because this has been a trash year for games.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I've yet to play it, but the music seems to be pretty magical once again

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

The Kins posted:

Wolfenstein was probably my favourite, that game pressed all the right buttons for me. It'll never get any recognition in any semi-respectable GOTY things, though, because it's a single player only manshoot and you're not allowed to like those any more.

Oh yeah, that's a close second for me, it's really cool in a lot of ways.

People complain that you wake up out of a coma and start killing dudes without effort, but that's the whole point, violence was the only thing that could wake him up because this is a game about shooting nazis forever.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ArfJason posted:

Its a really loving bad thread too and i have pointed this out in there several times yet it isnt half as bad as this one lmao

Ok but what is your GotY

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Michaellaneous posted:

So I really got back into the mood of playing some really old, really bad game; that I wasted too much time on. Navyfield.

Any of you interested to take part on this journey through magical bullshit and insanity?

As long as I don't have to take an active part, sure

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Adam Bowen posted:

Also I played Might and Magic X at the beginning of the year and that experience convinced me to finally play World of Xeen so I would like to nominate World of Xeen as a GOTY contender

Well, it's 20 years late but I'll allow it

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's a game that is made to live on the edge but in reality it's super-unremarkable and paying any attention to them is just playing into their hands

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
GotY would be easier if I could just pick one of the 3-4 year old games that I've actually have been playing.

A little unfair of me to say it's been a crap year for gaming when I've not even touched a bunch of cool titles like Shadow of Mordor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Every year it's Sleeping Dogs until the release of Sleeping Dogs 2: Waking Dogs

• Locked thread