Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hi I'm videogames and i love everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Did you ever finish that smb3 romhack you were working on?

Its not finished BUT if you do have me on steam and you are using the beta client, you'll occasionally see it pop up with VλdeoGames is now playing SuperMarioBrothers 4.

that is me making the game and broadcasting it via steam :>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:cool:

http://i.imgur.com/mTvnWBy.gif

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the only Zelda ive ever played is the Legend of Zelda. and goddamn it is good fun but balls to the wall difficult.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I freaking love video games, and posting about video games and making jokes. It genuinely surprises me that many Games posters who presumably do the same thing as me for 12+ hours a day post insanely negative stuff all the time about how terrible games are. To me, they are all pretty good and I'm thankful to be living in a time period in human history where the coolness of video games has been realized, and I think we can all agree that the only truly bad games are Dark Souls and Obsidian's entire catalogue.

ooooh you got me you cheeky dang fellow!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DolphinCop posted:

Start to Crate has been a metric for video game review for more than a decade

its weird how true this is because my house is full of crates

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

The crates are inside you, VideoGames.

i was the crates all along.

mods please rename me VideoCrates

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Pyschonauts is only 1.99 on steam right now :wth:

it shocked me today to learn that i already own the whole of double fines on sale back catalogue. i think ive only played costume quest.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
all gaming all the time.

i live my life one quarter megabyte at a time

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
a new version of DOTT? or the exact same game just in a prepackaged scumm engine executable?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i dont think you should drink that. it looks bad for you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

i dont think you should drink that. it looks bad for you.

nonsense! it makes me feel great! smarter! more athletic.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the number one rule about buyiong consoles (I have learnt while becoming the very videogames themself) is thusly:

can you game with friends if you get it: YES/NO?

if yes, then come on dude get that system and game on all day erryday!

if no, are there games on it you wish to play? YES/NO?

if yes, then come on dude get that system and game on all day erryday!

if no, then please save your money for something else. perhaps a new game for a system you currently own. or maybe even something else, like food or rent or giving a gift to a friend/loved one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol if you haven't evolved passed the need for these silly things.

well i know i have as i am a plastic box filled with media, but others may need such things, and for those i hope they spend wisely.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

those are my siblings thank you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
if u dont have a cool game related sig u a busta

http://i.imgur.com/mTvnWBy.gif

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i really like playing video games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
theres been quite a few surprise good games this year. alien isolation and shadows of mordor are 2 of them. well done games companies for making good games that i will continue to play and enjoy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
fallout3 and new vegas are pretty damned similar, just different settings and new vegas has a few extra mechanics. why do people hate 3 so much? i really love it as a game.

i would have thought being able to skip bits by exploring was a good thing as it shows you are not bound to some linear path.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
brb just lmaoing a little

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

OK, great, but why exactly is Ubisoft presumably hiring guys to make cool as poo poo stuff and yet not punishing them profusely when they make something that isn't cool as poo poo, i.e. virtually all of the plot and story of Far Cry 4 that isn't "Blow these people up"

They WASTED MONEY making a game that has a civil war thread running through it that reads like a C grade teenager's understanding of civil war (these two people are bad, maybe they're as bad as each other, maybe they're even as bad as the bad bad man?) when they could have paid them less money and had it be Jurassic Park with Honey Badgers or spent a little more money on a guy to read over this stuff and make sure it wasn't a complete pile of poo poo. Maybe if they're that hard up for cash they could get some intern to go over it with a red pen.

i think because youre in the minority. thats why

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

are you all being serious recommending south park. you're all saying "if you find SP funny" but who over the age of 9 does

drat stux you have some utterly messed up opinions of videogames. i dont even know what to say half the time

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i mean, i do too, but my messed up opinions is that i like almost all games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

south park is not funny

i have to disagree.

and the game is really well made

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
well im not wrong, it justs have a differents opinions. humour has no right or wrong :>
i just cannot believe my game likes are so very different to yours on just about every post i see

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

no it does, south park is on a my little pony level of embarrassing poo poo you shouldn't like.

lmao that these words tumbled into a sentence from you. you have no joy man.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
some loving bizarre opinions flowing out right now. but godspeed you all. enjoy what you enjoy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

yeah p much. i have always had a fondness for the duo since orgazmo but years of success have really hosed with the logic circuts in their brain and turned them into raving morons half the time, and idiot savants a third of the time

future wife and i started playing diablo 3 and i'm really glad i waited this long to try it, the ps4 version is hard to find a fault with, other than 'lots of menu time and only one person can use it at a time'. i recommend it if you're looking for a good couch co-op game.

i wish all games of the diablo genre controller like they do on console. clicking and waiting i find boring. but running around and hacking/slashing is dynamic and fun. if they'd bring the controller aspect to diablo3 pc itd be the best game ever

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
everyone does threads/articles where they poo poo on stuff. arent we tired of that? wouldnt it be far more interesting to read threads where people talk about games they like, no matter what game, if they gave full on proper reasons? wy we gotta be so negative? this life is great and there are so many games to enjoy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We're are in the mode of making GBS threads on everything because we used to be in a mode of praising everything even when the game was terrible, leading people to make poor purchases. Those people became jaded and now post about how much they hate stuff.

this makes me sad. i've loved just about every game ive ever played. at least something has really, really interested me and i can always find something positive to take away from a game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
VideoGames Positive Games Thoughts And Opines

sup chaps, chappetes and those who identify on a sliding scale. today will be the first in a series of posts where i talk about a game i have played and why i liked it. i like all games in some way. as far as i can count there is only one game i have flat out not really liked and i still completed it.

today's game: Mass Effect 3.

ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy but its only this way thanks to all the backstory/adventures brought forward by the first two. ive battled across the universe with these characters now for many many hours and we've grown as a team. i feel they polished up combat enough where it was fair and fun. it looked great. the inventory/rpg elements were nearly as good as ME1 while having a few of the refinements from ME2.

i also liked the culmination of shepherds indoctrination that happened by the end of the story. all through the trilogy being conditiond to beleive red is renengade (bad) and blue is paragon (good) so having to make the choice of either becoming a reaper as blue and destroying them as red. when clearly you've been fighting it this whole time. it was a great send off and one of the few times that a piece of DLC (the citadel adventure) has taken something even further and is a necessary part of the fun.

thank you for existing ME3.

next time: Duke Nukem Forever

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That was a silly theory that was almost certainly not what was intended.

thats what i took from it and it made sense to me :>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That requires a choice that explicitly genocides a sentient allied race to be the "paragon" choice, which would make no sense.

Unless they're explicitly lying about it, but that isn't really supported either.

self preservation of the reapers.
war is about making tough choices, but that who we want saving the galaxy.

the way the game played out for me, it makes a lot of sense.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That's the renegade philosophy, though.

yes? renegade is tough, not outright bad.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

What I was getting at was that making the tough choice to blow up the Reapers at the cost of blowing up the newly-sentient Geth as well is about as far Renegade as you can get. You're making the choice to sacrifice others for the greater good.

I mean, Renegade/Paragon is kind of dumb anyway, but

exactly. I was saying that conditioning you to always believe blue is good choice and red is the tough but sometimes wrong (which from a lot of my friends is choices they never really picked) choice feels like a reaper thing so that when it comes to the end, the one to destroy them is coloured red to protect them. whereas becoming a reaper is blue so player instinct kicks in and wheee, you are a reaper.

green is weird because you're forcing everyone to become something else and i dont really like that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Leaving the indoctrination theory aside for a moment which is interesting but not really supported, imho, I think Control makes a lot of thematic sense as the Paragon option because the entire galaxy has relied on Shepard to unite them, to mediate conflicts, to bring about the peace that was the original intent of the reaper's programming. So in becoming the reapers himself, Shepard basically ascends to godhood and becomes the alpha and the omega, giver of life and angel of death, as he has continually done over the course of the series. It's weird but I think it fits and also creates an ominous future where the unknowable Machine God ever looms over the sentient races. This, in my opinion, is a coolass setting for a video game.

this could be a very cool reading of it too.

i would like to add to my review of ME3 that there can be this sort of discourse of what is happening in the story and that different readings can happen is a definite plus.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alain Post posted:

It doesn't make any dramatic sense, is what I'm saying.

in this case, yeah i can totally agree with this as you're right, its not overtly told.

the indoctrination thing is definitely something i came to via the implications of characters and how events have happened and from reading the codex. it sort of grew in my mind as a reading. a bit like indoctrination itself.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
mobas are a genre ive never touched, but like i said i try to give all games a fair try

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
play whichever games you want! if you want to GTAV on the PC, then godspeed you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

If they spent the money they did on licensing music from other sources and paid a band, or a couple of bands to record entirely original music for GTA it would be amazing. gently caress, there are bands out there who would work for peanuts for the opportunity to be featured in a multi-million selling game like GTA.

I do kind of take issue with the use of licensed musics in games like that, since for a lot of music people tend to have an emotional investment with it, so to hear it in a game is vicariously imparting the feelings you'd associate with that music with the game itself. GTA4's soundtrack was praised, probably much higher than the game itself should have been if we're being truthful, possibly for those reasons.

Plus the GTA games go out of their way to make it clear that they exist in an entirely different world from the one we're in (New York doesn't exist, it's Liberty City etc.) yet there's little stupid things that make you go "Oh, right, this carefully constructed world isn't as entirely carefully constructed as they would like you to believe". Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't really exist, for example.

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.

i somehow knew this would be a post from you

• Locked thread