Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanie, you're talking to Raoul, and aside from the casual arrogance that comes with being part of the majority religion in the area, he actually seems pretty nice. It occurs to you that if he goes there regularly, you could use him to test your theories about the church. You'd need something of his, of course. What do you think you could get from him? While you're pondering that, you spot the fish leaving the room, which could be a problem. What do you do?

Jamie, you're in the bathroom alone. Now that you're in private, what do you do that none of the Dry Selkies do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

"Magdalene DuRousseau posted:

Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions:

Capfalcon posted:

Magdalene, Benjamin is obviously disappointed. He was hoping for a show, but he walks off, dejected. Anastaise and Toni walk back into the room, and Toni's eyes lock on you. She doesn't look afraid, per se. More staring a hole in you, as if daring you to do something. What do you do?

Well, Benjamin can remain disappointed. His presumption that his is entitled to observe some...display of affection between Jamie and I is a sad indictment on his character. Not that it will stop me from using him to get introductions into the social scene he frequents. The disreputable, disposable, easily missed degenerates he surely associates with will be far safer to assuage my hunger with than the student body of this school. As Anastaise enters the room I stand and walk to her, smiling.

"Anastaise, mon ami, so glad you could make it. I have just had to disappoint Benjamin by telling him that we had already agreed to be lab partners. If you had not arrived he might not have believed me, and I would hate to be thought a liar."

Toni's unflinching stare is a little disconcerting. It reminds me of a poor girl that was caught stealing from my house, and the look on her face as Papa had some of the men take her to be whipped, the silence with which she endured her punishment. What have I done to her to cause her to stare so? I struggle to remember - was there something during the heady days after the flood? A relative of hers? My mind wanders a little:

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6 6

Hmmm, nothing. Mark XP though

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Jamie dances before the rare, huge mirror while she waits for Mags, humming a tune. They didn't have mirrors in the Deep Kingdom big enough or defined enough to do anything other than flicker with light, so she had never even seen herself--well, her own image, first hand before she arrived in the Dry. All she knew then about the body she saw in the mirror now was from others, from their laughter--confused, surprised, mocking, stupid laughter--which carried much farther in the water than in the air. Out here, you could speak, laugh, moan, or cry out, never sure if anyone else heard, and by extension never sure if anyone else cared.

She realizes Mags isn't coming halfway through the song. But no one else does either so she finishes it. Jeanine won't just believe her if she says Mags is the one she sent her after, she'll need proof to make sure 'it' isn't pulling her leg, and now for the first time ever the she's deciding not to bite first and ask questions later. So much for Jamie's plan to get the teeth-marks to prove that Mags bit that body at the so-called end of the trail. She wants her drat pelt back, what's she gonna do?

gaze: 2d6+1 7

Confusing and Alarming.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: 

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, she pulls the book back but edging a little closer to you. She says with mirth in her eyes, "'Mind if I take a look at your etchings?' You should be careful with that line, Toby; it's an antique." She pauses, and adds, "Although, I'm sure we could find something for you to wear. I think you'd make a good Indiana Jones."

Okay, she doesn't want him to look at what's in her book. Now why's that? Hell, it just makes him want to look even more. "Yeah? Sad to say I've never owned a fedora in my life. What about me makes you think I'd be a good Indy? On that note - what are you planning to go as?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2 Dark 1

While Bonnie is technically correct and will no doubt take some satisfaction from that. I feel she lacked the proper decorum in informing Cynthia of that fact. Based on the available evidence I began to understand why Bonnie was finding herself so ostracised by our peers. I decided that it was part of my duties as a friend to do what I could to repair some small part of the breach between us. "Sorry Cynthia maybe we can pair up next time." I spoke to her apologetically in the hope that it would make her feel slightly better. In addition I took the opportunity to chastise Bonnie briefly "That wasn't nice." and followed it up with the same glare I had used before which proved equally effective as Bonnie looked suitably intimidated. Still it is only fair to give her an incentive so that she knew future good behaviour would be rewarded. "we're having a little get together tonight in one of the nearby parks so everyone can get to know everyone else would you like to come? It's bring your own bottle unfortunately the budget does not strech that far."

Telling off Bonny: 2d6+1 10 Gaining a string on Bonnie

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toby, she's about to answer as he loudspeaker crackles to life and a warbling voice says:

"Magdalene DuRousseau and Tobias Ceprien, please come to the front office.
Magdalene DuRousseau and Tobias Ceprien, please come to the front office."

A chorus of "Ooooohhhhhhhhhs" make it obvious that everyone else thinks you're in trouble. Mrs. Devereaux does her best to restore order quickly, though.

Magdalene, that means you too.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy

I start following around the fish wherever it goes, there's gonna be rumors going around. And while they may drown out anything going around about me being involved in voodoo, that's not what I want now. I don't trust her. But I can't keep an eye on her 24/7. I'll just have to trust that between that paper and its skin, it will behave. I'm just going to use it to get to the bottom of some of these mysteries. And if it survives that, hasn't shown itself to be dangerous, well, I'll just give it its skin back and 'advice' it to go right back to the waters it came from. And if it turns out malicious, I got a token on it. And Toby, if it comes down to it. I'm pretty sure. If he doesn't have a case of 'not trusting me'

Anyway, let's focus on Raoul here. I know he goes to that church. Which means I could test if it's the church itself or something particular they do there which causes it. I just need something of his, then cast a benign spell on him. I pretend looking in my chemistry book as I try to think of something, and then I spot on something. We're doing the whole 'PH-testing thing' Chemistry to the rescue.

"hey, Raoul. It says here that spit neutralizes acid. Mind helping me doing a test with that?" I hold out one of the litlte beakers for him to spit in. "I'd do it myself, but proper girls don't spit."

Then we do the test, and at the end of the class, I'll just have to 'accidentally' put it in my bag while cleaning up. I hope spit still counts after getting some acid in it though.

And then the sound goes, and I look up. Toby? I look at him. What is going on?

Wanting Raoul's precious bodily fluids: 2d6-1 5 Boo.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 12, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
"Sorry, Mrs. Devoreaux. Toni wasn't feelin' well, but she's doin' a bit better now, aren't you?" I give Toni a little pat on the shoulder to get her to smile appropriately. gently caress I'm a bad liar.

Manipulate Mrs. Devoreaux: 2d6+2 6 :v:

Seeing Maggie sends a jolt of fear up my spine, but I shake my head and drive that poo poo out of my mind. It's probably just Toni gettin' worked up over nothing. There's no reason to believe Maggie is anything more than a... well, okay, she's not exactly normal, I mean the girl thinks jeans are fuckin' scandalous, but at least one-hundred percent human.

Still, don't want Toni gettin' her panties in a twist again. "That's, that's great, Maggie! So..." I glance at the teacher. "What are we partners for exactly?" While I'm movin' to join Magdalena, I take the chance to push Toni gently in the direction of David. No partner, and from what I hear he's a fairly nice guy, plays the sax I think? Should keep her out of trouble, with any luck.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 12, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
What? Toby's brows furrow, in surprise and then frustration. The hell's this about? Looking at Jeanine, he shrugs, doesn't have a clue. Can't think of a reason why he'd be called to the principal's office, let alone with Maggie. But... there's nothing for it. Just got to go. Scowling, he heads for the door, though he'll wait for Maggie rather than heading off on his own.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, you hear the toilet behind you flush. Which, since you are alone, is a little odd. It roars louder and louder, and as you look in, you see the white crests of waves and the deep blue of ocean water. It's telling you something. You're seeing a park. It's tonight. It's filled with your classmates. Suddenly, there's screaming. You can't tell if it's happy or frightened, but it is LOUD. You see Magdalene blood on her face from the limb of... something, while she viciously tears into it with her teeth and hands.

And then the water in the bowl is gone. You hear the announcement for Toby and Magdalene. That can't be good. What do you do?

Jeanine, Raoul looks at you and flicks his eyes at the supplies, saying, "I don't think we should be messing with those just yet. The teacher probably wouldn't like it."
He gives you the condition Rulebreaker

Elizabeth, you cow Bonnie again, and she looks a little uncomfortable. She's grateful when you change the subject to the party, eager to go. Eager to prove her worth, she says, "They don't really care about that sort of thing, so I can get a good bit from my family. Is anyone other than our class coming?"

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 12, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, you cow Bonnie again, and she looks a little uncomfortable. She's grateful when you change the subject to the party, eager to go. Eager to prove her worth, she says, "They don't really care about that sort of thing, so I can get a good bit from my family. Is anyone other than our class coming?"

Elizabeth thinks for a moment Cynthia had wanted a bit of cover to excuse her date with Toby, On the the theory that the more people present the more there will be cover for that. On the other hand too big a crowd may draw the wrong kind of attention from the cities authorities. Elizabeth turns to Bonnie "We were just planning on inviting the class but I suppose a few extras won't be too bad just don't go inviting the whole school okay?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rules-breaker.

"Fine. I suppose it can wait." And you know what. Maybe it can. Saint Florian isn't an immediate threat. I'll go take a look first, and we can do the testing later. Perhaps even with someone else who comes there regularly. Less links to me.

And to be quite honest, I'm kind of distracted by Toby getting called to the principal's office. You know, this didn't happen too long after the fish walked out. Could mean nothing. But the things he and I get up to at night... they could lead to trouble. Well, mostly him, I tend to be more... advisory. Not that he takes my advice as much as he should. I frown at the chemistry book and remember the last night we went out together. Things got... out of hand. The only reason we weren't shouting was because we were out at night with a lot of stuff high school kids shouldn't carry around.

It was... about the weather. I'd advised him to dress up warm because it was gonna be cold, but he said the newspaper said it was gonna be warm. And then I made a remark about the newspaper always being right, and he made a remark about at least knowing where they got their information from and whether this was another 'mysterious intuition'

He made quotation marks with his fingers.

All right, maybe I was less than graceful. I mean, he takes the biggest risks (which he did remind me off) and I am asking for a lot of trust from him, considering he doesn't know how I... know what I know and do what I do. But... I've not steered him wrong. And it's not like asking the loa for assistance is without risk or anything! And he can be so lacking in respect. I'm a mambo, the things I do are religious ceremonies, the loa are the things between us and the Creator. He treats it and me like some kind of... annoying program that won't do what it tells him to at times! Seriously! He's so annoying!

I hope there's no serious trouble.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie hums at the scene of graphic violence in the toilet bowl. Guess Mags wasn't going to be able to hold out as long as she thought she could. Maybe she was only able to turn down giving Jamie a bite because of her stupid freak body. The Dry probably knew just like the Deep did, except Jamie couldn't hear or understand their mockery and disgust.

She thinks about last period. Davis wasn't throwing her any pens after all, just food. "You need some skin on your bones, man," he'd said to her. He tricked them, lazily, to get an eyeful, but pitied her. Being called a man because of her skinniness seemed almost as bad as when Jeanine called her 'it.' He probably thought she was hungry and weak enough to beat and eat.

The announcement echoes in the empty bathroom. Mags and Toby to the principal's office. Not wanting to look at Davis or Jeanine, Jamie decides to try eavesdropping on them. It was good practice to know things about Toby that didn't require him to tell you them, because for all that boy complained about his dad keeping secrets, it sure seemed to run in the family.

So she goes to an adjacent room leans up against a wall, vent, or door, and puts a drugstore stethoscope to it. Then she covers the earpiece with her cellphone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

"That's, that's great, Maggie! So..." I glance at the teacher. "What are partners for exactly?"

"Chemistry 'lab', apparently. Mrs. Devoreaux was just explaining the nature of the new atomic theories, and then-"

Capfalcon posted:

"Magdalene DuRousseau and Tobias Ceprien, please come to the front office.
Magdalene DuRousseau and Tobias Ceprien, please come to the front office."

THEYKNOWTHEYKNOWTHEYKNOW

No. Stop. That is an absurd notion. I would not be getting called to see a school official if my nature as a cannibal revenant had been betrayed. There would be a mob, or soldiers. There must be some other mundane issue. Stand carefully, do not run. Do not hint at your terror. I carefully return my books to my bag, make a show of exaggerated displeasure, and call to Tobias.

"Well, Mr Ceprien, shall we attend upon the front office and see what delights await us?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, She interrupts the two of you as you try to walk off. "Oh, no. I'm not letting you get off that easy. You two go join them at the office and tell them you were cutting my class." Toni's stoic visage cracks at that, her eyes pleading as she says, "I really wasn't feeling well. Really!"

Mrs Devereaux isn't having any of it, though.

Anastaise, Toby, and Magdalene, So, now the four of you are sitting in the office. There's four chairs along the wall, and Toni takes the one closest to the corner. She's reverted to not looking at Magdalene.

Jamie, you can't hear anything yet, but from your position, you can see a police officer park outside and head towards the school. What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie gets a bad feeling and texts Toby a warning about the policeman stepping out of his vehicle.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 12, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Maggie... sure has a way with words. A whole lotta words to just say 'let's go'. He tries not to stare, just shrug and pull his hood up. If the teachers want to treat him like some kind of thug, why not look the part?

"Sure, let's go, Miss DuRousseau. What do you think they're calling us in for? You don't seem like some kind of hellraiser." He sets off at a slow pace down the hall.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Walking down the hallway I take the opportunity to walk close to Toby. He really does cut a striking figure, despite his somewhat slovenly form of dress. Given a little work by a decent tailor, perhaps the attention of a skilled barber, and he would really turn heads. I laugh a little at his joke. No need to tell him hell did all the raising for me.

"Oh, you might be surprised how much trouble I can get into in the right company."

I emphasize trouble to imply that I might not mind getting in to some trouble in his company.

Turn On Toby: 2d6+2 8

Before he can respond to my innuendo I change the topic.

"But honestly, I am sure it is not anything serious. The school has had some trouble with my records, which were mostly lost in the flood."

Sitting in the office I am less confident that is true.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth and Jeanine, the bell rings, sending you to your next class. PE. Coach Randal limps out on crutches and a prosthetic leg. He's got a basketball under his arm and tosses it to Jeanine. "Today we're playing basketball. You're a captain." He looks around and points to Benjamin, "And you're a captain."

Jeanine picks Luke, Bernie, Cynthia, Vickie, and Simon while Benjamin picks Raoul, David, Elizabeth, and Bonnie.

The game gets under way, with Bernie on the sidelines to start. Elizabeth, you get the ball to start. What do you do?

How about you Jeanine? Do you really care about this game, or is a waste of time?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 12, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Heh. She knows how to crack a joke, at least. But yeah, he can't see her getting into anything that would require a trip to the principal's.

When they're all in the office, joined by the two that skipped class for... whatever they were getting up to in the 'toilets' and his phone vibrates, he takes a look at the picture Jamie sent him, and frowns. Police? What the hell's going on? Like, in trouble with the school is far-fetched enough, but the police? Did someone see him and his friends out on one of their hunts? Can't be, or they'd have called in Jamie or Jeanine, right? Not Maggie. Whatever this is, this can't be good...

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rules-breaker.

Ugh...

It's not... a complete waste of time. Keeping up with Toby while pursuing some... thing makes you appreciate the importance of a fit body. And by that I mean panting my loving guts out while Toby stands there looking all smug with his healthy lifestyle. So between school and studying rituals I never really got time to run laps. I was too busy learning to appease and cajole the loa of the spirit world. So sue me.

But yeah, some fitness is a good idea. But I'd have preferred running laps or something. This just seems like a way for the more fit to just rub it in the faces of the ones with other talents. Or sometimes elbow it in their faces. I'll be happy to get through this without bruises. Still, there's someone who usually has the worst time with this, and that is Miss old money St. Claire.

Anyway, even if I was interested in basketball, my head is pretty much not there right now. What is happening with Toby? And where the hell is the fish? I'm frustrated, frustrated and angry.

You know what, maybe it's good to do some sports. Maybe I can get rid of some of this tension this way. And I eye Bonnie St.Claire.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Criminal Crew, a police officer wordlessly enters the room and takes Magdalene by the arm. Not quite forcefully enough to be painful, but very firmly. He escorts her out, towards the disciplinarian's office.

Magdalene, The room's walls are unadorned, and as the curtains are drawn, the only light comes from the shaded bulb dangling the sealing. You get the slight scent of old blood from the carpet. Probably from students who were brought here after fights. ...Probably. Brother Alston, the disciplinarian, is sitting at his desk. He's a tall man. Balding at an early age and probably overweight, but the brown robe hides most of his form. The officer jerks his head towards the door, obviously wanting the brother to leave.. Brother Alston gives him a withering glare and says, "If you're going to question my students, you'll do it with me present." His lip twists in disapproval, obviously not happy with the answer, but he grunts. He deposits you in a chair and looms over you. As the officer leans down to your level, you can smell a bit of alcohol on his breath. It's not even 3 PM. He demands, "Where were you last night? Who were you with?"
Who might have seen you prowling around by the river last night?

Toby, they just need you to get your current guardian to sign some papers allowing them to transfer your records from your last school. They send you back to PE afterwards. As you walk around the gym, you notice broken glass shards huddled against the gym's wall. The brooms must have missed them. Once you make it into the gym, you see that you were in and out quickly enough to get back to the basketball game just as it's starting. You even up the teams, and you see that Elizabeth is the other team and has the ball. What do you do?

Toni and Anastaise, you're sent to Ms. Lamb's office. The school councilor's office is lined with information about the ACT and SAT, different colleges in and out of state, the TOPS program and other scholarships. Not much to be had on emotional health, though... As you settle down, she comes in, all smiles and sunshine. "Let's see, what are you here for..." She reads the note on her desk, and gives a little cluck of her tongue. "Cutting class isn't acceptable, girls." She smiles sweetly, "Let me guess. First day jitters? I know all of you are going through some hard times. Even adults are coping with it pretty poorly. So, I'm not going to punish you. This time. Instead, how about this? You two spend PE here and relax a little. I have some errands to run and do, so just stay here while I'm gone, ok?"

After she leaves, Toni just starts laughing and shaking her head in relief. She looks over to you, "I thought we were really busted there for a second. Like, thought we were making out in the bathroom or whatever." She leans back in her chair, relaxing. Now that she's not scared out of her wits, she's got an easy grin on her face. You could probably head back to PE or just stick around here. Even go wandering the school. What do you do?

Jamie, You see everyone head different directions. Toby towards the rest of the school, Toni and Anastasie towards the library and teacher offices, and Magdalene is being taken by the police officer deeper into the admin wing. What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The police force of my time was a watchword for corruption and incompetence, useful only for beating drunks and arresting a scapegoat for minor crimes. It seems that they have added drunkenness to their list of vices. I take careful note of the officers name and rank, and then disregard it. I do not wish to appear in control of the situation - if he thinks I am afraid, he will think I am honest. I look at Brother Alston with pleading eyes and do my best to sound afraid. It does not take any great acting skill under these circumstances.

"What is this about, constable? Am I under arrest? I was at home last night, with my Grandmere."

I wasn't, of course in any such place. The little metal house I share with a blind and demented old woman is as much my home as the woman is my grandmother. I was down by the levee enjoying the cool night air, not 'prowling around' exactly. Although I suppose I may have looked suspicious. There were some workmen taking measurements, drunks stumbling home, a handful of other late night perambulators...I found myself a more secluded spot, sharing it only with a person who I believed to be a fisherman. I remember a flash like lightning, or a firework, although there was no thunder. Perhaps this person has reported seeing me? But then why have the police come here? The curfew was lifted, merely being out after dark is no crime.

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6-1 4

Such a stern disciplinarian

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 12, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, you note that this J. Landrey is just a patrolman, which doesn't sound particularly impressive. He slams his fist on the desk and growls, "You're lying." The Brother clears his throat very loudly but doesn't stop him. The officer continues, "I have reason to believe you were at the riverside. There was a murder there last night. I think you can connect the dots as to why I'm talking to you."

Your Hunger growls, and you feel the skin on your stomach start to droop a little. It's like it's starting to slough off. It hasn't done that before...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I should have expected that appealing to the instinct of a gentleman to be kind to the fairer sex would be less than efficacious on a common thief-taker. Well, maybe he will respond better to the stick. Doing my best to ignore the disconcerting feeling of my skin giving way I visibly compose myself, spreading my hands out on the table in front of him. "Patrolman Landrey, (I enunciate every syllable, to drive home his humble station) if you you wish to accuse me of a murder, you will need better evidence than 'reason to believe'. The principal of habeas corpus is not unknown to you, I trust?"

Papa once introduced me to a wealthy young lawyer who was supposed to be a rising political star, who thrilled in attempting to explain the processes of criminal law to an adoring young girl. I can only remember one or two Latin phrases, so I must trust to hope that not too much has changed. Time to raise the stakes on this 'patrolman'.

"If you wish to arrest me, then go ahead."

Shut down Landrey: 2d6+2 9

I give him the condition Stupid Flatfoot

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 0/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners 
That's... what? That's all? They dragged him out of class for that? He doesn't even know who his legal guardian is now... his mom, wherever the hell she is nowadays? He's more worried about Maggie, but... not worried enough to start poo poo with a police officer. She can't have done anything wrong, not a girl like her, but why do the police want to talk to her in the first place? As he heads down the hall to the gym, he sends a quick text to Jamie. 'hey, can u keep 1 eye on mag? thnx, T'

The glass catches his notice, but not his attention. Probably just a lazy janitor missing that, he guesses as he heads inside, nonchalant, like nothing ever happened. He's got a story in mind to give to the first nosy classmate that figures they have to know what happened.

Aside from that, he's always down for some basketball, and takes PE classes seriously. He keeps his eyes on Elizabeth, ready to try and steal it from her as soon as she gets close.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

I get a text back from Toby asking me--he never asks irl--to keep an eye on Mags. They were both gonna owe me so many tips. The cop takes her to a more private room, so I watch them from the halls then run around the outside of the building to see that dumbass pull the curtains. That makes prowling right under the window and putting my stethoscope on the window all the easier. It doesn't sound good, and Mags keeps on escalating it.

So I step away from the window, pull out one of those men's prepaid phones and call in a suspicious young African American man with a BB gun prowling around Archbishop Blanc High School. Then I look around, see no one and no cameras, and huck something into the window, shattering it to pieces. Then I try to hook back up with Mags inside and walk her to PE. Or to the bathroom if she's feeling peckish.

hold steady to be a smooth criminal: 2d6+3 13 should be 14 because the cop is a stupid flatfoot. I'll carry +1 forward because I love crime.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 12, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, he growls something under his breath about Law and Order raising a freakin' generation of armchair lawyers. "Yeah, but I can hold you for 24 hours, just because I feel like it. You ever been to jail, missy?"

He gives you "Suspicious"

Brother stands up at this, saying "Now that's q-"

*CRASH* The window shatters and everyone drops to the floor. The patrolman peeks out the window and sees a young man walking along. He sticks his gun out and fires at him. He misses, and the black man freezes up for an instant but then runs down the street. Patrolman Landry yells "Stop," which the man, of course, ignores. Yelling all the way, he dashes towards the front of the school and out of the building.

Brother had thrown a protective arm over Magdalene, making sure she kept down until the 'gunman' was gone. Once he's sure, Brother then sits up and dusts himself off, and in a shaken and slightly hysteric voice says, "Well, I don't think the patrolman will be coming back anytime soon, so you should go back to class. We'll call you back if he comes back for anything."

Jamie, you meet up with Magdalene as you come back inside. She's heading back towards the gym.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 12, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

I call in an anonymous tip to the Picayune about a trigger happy cop shooting at a young black man near a school after I thought I saw a bird fly into a window. Maybe that'll get his rear end fired. Then it's off to Mags.

"Wait! So did you eat someone alive or is this all a big mistake?" I show her the shots I took of the body Jeanine led me to, then zoom in on some teeth marks. "Either way I think I know someone who wants to help: Jeanine. She wants to meet you, the person who did this, but doesn't know you're you--I recognize those dainty little bites, but she doesn't-- so I want you to bite me so I can match the teeth marks to the thing and we can all meet and talk it over! Maybe it'll be fun...

"Okay maybe not but you owe me because I just got rid of that cop."

I nod toward the empty bathroom, "So, uh, what do you like: breast or thigh? Let's make this quick."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 12, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
I watch nervously as Toby and Maggie get sent away, but I guess I should count myself lucky all we got was Ms. Lamb. Seems like a pretty cool teacher all around. Sure as hell don't want anything to do with the fuckin' cops, Mom would literally kill me. Rip out my heart, dump me in Lake Pontchartrain, no questions asked.

I smile politely and do my best to look all apologetic and poo poo. "Yes, sorry Ms. Lamb. Yeah, we're just feelin' a little out of it 'cause of... everything." I reach over and pull Toni into a sorta half-hug thing. "Won't happen again, I promise."

It's great to see Toni feeling... not so lovely, you know. When Toni mentions 'making out in the bathroom' I laugh, partly just 'cause it's so fuckin' normal compared to what I was actually doin'. "Hah, wonder what Ms. Lamb woulda said about that, huh?" Dang, she looks a lot cuter when she smiles.

I scoot my chair over to hers and reach up to fix her hair; it's all frizzled up and you can totally tell she's been crying. poo poo, I probably look the same way. Got a whole bunch of those fuckin' hairband things in my purse, but her hair is just fuckin' everywhere so the best I can manage is a ponytail. Eventually I sigh and lay her head down in my lap, then lean back and relax. "gently caress. I vote we chill here for a minute, then we'll go see how those nerds are doin' in PE, hm?"

Turn on Toni: 2d6+2 10 so I'll take a string on her.

After this, we'll head off towards the gym. I'm hoping we can catch just the end of it so we don't have to actually, you know, do any fuckin' sports. I really need to find Jeanine, Dad sounded pissed.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 12, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: Suspicious

"Thank you, Brother Alston. I'm sure this is all a big misunderstanding. I'll return to class."

Dusting myself down I start to return to where I think my next class is. Upon being intercepted by Jamie I can find no words to adequately describe her perverse audacity. Does she not understand that I might not want my nature revealed to anyone? My...unnatural needs are not something I want to make public knowledge.

slydingdoor posted:

"So, uh, what do you like: breast or thigh? Let's make this quick."

Hold Steady: 2d6+2 8

Maggie keeps her cool

I plead with her

"Please refrain from tempting me like this. I fear I would not be able to avoid seriously harming you. I can bite...something else, a piece of wood or a block of cheese. You are more to me than just a...a meal."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie and Magdalene, you both get to PE rather late, but he still has you dress out in the PE Uniform so you can run laps around the court. He yells out to hurry up if you ever drop below a slow jog. Who do each of you watch while running laps?

Anastaise, Toni sighs in contentment as she relaxes on your lap. A few quiet moments pass before she looks up and asks, "Do you believe me? About, you know..." She shrugs a little uncomfortably. What do you do?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson

Elizabeth freezes. Unfortunately the rules of basketball are completely unfamiliar to her these days. Still they seem easy enough to figure out, The goal of the game appears to be to place these orange balls in the baskets mounted halfway up the wall. Since the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.Elizabeth grabs the ball and throws it directly at the basket, Unfortunately she is still not fully recovered from her hospitalisation and the ball bounces far short of the basket as the other players move quickly towards it. Annoyed Elizabeth starts off after them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth, Toby grabs the ball. He's running back in your direction, making a bee line for the goal on your end of the court. Apparently a common strategy is to get much closer to the goal before shooting. Makes sense, you suppose. What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

In the restroom, I pull one side of my sleeveless shirt back up after Mags turns down my breast. She's pretending to care about me when someone else is hurting me and she won't do anything about it, so I let her know.

"I don't care if it hurts. Jeanine has something of mine and I won't get it back until I can prove that you're who she's looking for, then I have to get her something else of yours besides that locket. Ugh! then she'll just give you the shakedown too and you'll be where I am now. I don't know what to do..."

We go to the gym and I get an answer: run laps is what I should do according to Coach Randal. So I run like Mask is after me. Then I run like Jeanine dropped my pelt over there and maybe I can get it before she does. Then I run back like Mags is about to eat someone alive right in front of the cops. Coach doesn't get a chance to yell at me to speed up and I don't listen to him when he tells me to slow down. I push my stupid legs until they stop working, watching Jeanine all the while.

After PE I'll sit under an ice cold shower and pretend to be shivering instead of quaking with anger. There were no Jeanines back home, who'd steal your pelt and leave you to die, let alone lead you by the nose with it. I needed to make her stop pretending her stupid secret rules were more important than mine.

Ocean's Breath: 2d6+2 9+1 fwd from holding steady = 10. The ocean the ocean takes away something that it thinks is bothering you, [...] but the ocean doesn’t understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, Toby grabs the ball. He's running back in your direction, making a bee line for the goal on your end of the court. Apparently a common strategy is to get much closer to the goal before shooting. Makes sense, you suppose. What do you do?

Elizabeth Anderson
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1

Toby grabs the ball and advances towards the goal. It seems he is a quick learner and has deduced the error in my reasoning, Still he can still be stopped by a committed and combative defence. I sprint towards him and in a smooth move grab him around the waist and pull him to the ground causing him to fall hard to the wooden floor. The ball bounces free but the other players are stood astonished and open mouthed as a heavily breathing and red faced Coach advances on me "Personal foul, Personal foul! What the hell do you call that? This is a basketball court not a football pitch!" I shrug I mean I certainly stopped a scoring opportunity which presumably is the point of this whole endeavour. Why is everyone so shocked? Still the coach insists on me sitting the rest of the half out. Which is fine with me Basketball is a silly game.

Let's play Rugby B-ball: 2d6+2 11 putting one harm on toby and gaining a string.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: Suspicious

"Wait, what did you say about my lo...cket."

drat, she's off and running. My locket. MY locket. MYLOCKETMYTHINGMINE. That little painted whore, that [a string of inventive cursing in Colonial French] Jeanine has it. I run like Satan himself is after me, back and forth between the markers. I don't even care about this ridiculous uniform flaunting all my skin. I am amazed that the earth doesn't upon up and disgorge all the devils of Hell to witness my rage. One thing, all I had left from a life, and this stupid girl holds it over my head like some kind of surety? Surely she can feel my eyes on her.

I'll give Jamie everything she needs. More. Anything to get it back. And then...we shall see.

I wait until most of the other girls have left the changing room to approach Jamie in the shower. My reputation for modesty means it isn't unusual for me to wait before changing.

"Whatever you need, whatever you want me to do, is yours. But I will have that locket back."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

You know, when I figured I'd play rough, I was thinking something subtle. I was thinking turning into her and knocking her on the ground, or 'not stopping myself in time' and crash into her, maybe 'accidentally' throwing a ball in her stupid, dainty racist face.

What I did not expect was Elizabeth just about knocking Toby to the ground like that. And just like that, therapeutic body-checking of rich white girl slips from my mind. Elizabeth. She's a woman, white, highly aggressive it seems, surprisingly strong to knock Toby down like that. Maybe she knows more about Toby and that's why she targeted him? She could match the man-eating monster going around. I keep a sharp eye on her, sharp enough that I'm probably missing any hypothetical glares I'm getting from others. I'm vaguely aware Magdalena is brought back in as well. I... don't worry TOO much about Toby. He's a strong guy and I've seen him take worse. And if I'm right, we might DO worse soon.

I'll need to get something from her. Or get the fish to make itself useful. But hey, if you want to do something right...

In the locker room afterwards, after the shower, I make a show of looking through my gym bag. "Oh drat it all." I say. "Hey, Liz, can I borrow your brush real quick? I forgot mine and if I don't brush it, it goes all over the place."

Using one of my strings to offer Elizabeth, she gets 1 XP if she lets me borrow her hairbrush.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves

"She thinks I'm a stupid freak and you're an evil murderer. Since she's always right about everything, we'll dance to her tune until we can get her alone for a private show."

I tell her my plan: after school I buy a stun gun and some blood with my tips, then we go somewhere private but recognizable, then we send Jeanine some texts. I say I found the thing, and to bring me my pelt. Then Mags 'steals' my phone, and texts her a threat that she caught me snooping around and should bring the locket too and trade me for it. When she comes over to find me I'll hit her with the stun gun and we'll have a little talk about tricking people, stealing from them, and extorting them. Then we hug it out and get something to eat.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

Shogeton posted:

Jeanine

In the locker room afterwards, after the shower, I make a show of looking through my gym bag. "Oh drat it all." I say. "Hey, Liz, can I borrow your brush real quick? I forgot mine and if I don't brush it, it goes all over the place."

Using one of my strings to offer Elizabeth, she gets 1 XP if she lets me borrow her hairbrush.

Elizabeth spent her time on the sidelines watching the game of basketball. It seemed her tackle had been considered extreme. Still when the coach allowed her to march back onto the field the other team gave her a wide berth when they possessed the ball. So Elizabeth could be justifiably proud of her contribution to her teams play. Afterwards Elizabeth found herself tired and with a need to restore her hair to a presentable condition. Pulling out the small brush she carried she used it to push her hair back into the immaculate condition it had been that morning. "Hey, Liz, can I borrow your brush real quick? I forgot mine and if I don't brush it, it goes all over the place." one of the other students was evidently experiencing similar hair related problems it seems. I felt a small display of kindness would do no harm. "Sure I'm finished wtih it it's all yours." I said to the girl whose name I had forgotten if I had ever heard it in the first place. It was the same one I had noticed watching me earlier as if unable to decide if I was predator or prey still at least she seemed to be treating me like a normal person at the moment.

Taking that XP

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2014

• Locked thread