Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
I impulse bought this game a few days ago because I'm a sucker for pixels and platforming but it actually becomes pretty awful to play in the later stages.

I think it's made by some dude that made an I Wanna Be The Guy fangame and if I had read a little more carefully and seen that I would've passed but welp. If you're looking for a fun but challenging platformer like super meat boy or whatever then keep looking. This game is more about retrying sections hundreds of times until you burn the correct sequence and timing of button presses into your muscle memory.

It has a less bullshit deaths than IWBTG but it still has its moments. One section has you running from some instakill enemy and after you escape but right before the save point they stuck a single tile of small spikes on a slope because lol gently caress your checkpoint tunnel vision. They pull this poo poo again later in a world that's full of spiky bone protrusions in the foreground so it's even easier to miss as you see the save come just within reach.

Another section ends on top of a long vertical corridor where you'll see a platform leading off the right side of the screen, except if you jump over there and don't let go of the movement key immediately upon starting the screen transition you'll end up falling off into an instakill trap because you didn't know the platform was actually tiny as hell and gently caress you redo that whole gauntlet again

I'm about 10 hours in with 1900 deaths and considered just uninstalling because everything past stage 3 has been mostly frustrating/unfun but I'm on the last stage so gently caress it. If IWBTG and Boshy are your poo poo you'll probably love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Sophism posted:

So exactly like Super Meat Boy? As someone that loved SMB to pieces and A+ed all the levels, unlocked all the characters and got all the achievements except the "So and So Boy" ones, (Well, OK, I did get the Forest Boy one, but that one is a gimme.) I'd say that SMB is about half execution/skill half muscle memory. Especially some of the Rapture DW stuff.

That said, Wings of Vi is a different kind of game for sure, and I don't think any platformer is going to dethrone SMB for me any time soon. I'm still loving it to pieces!

Yeah actually I guess they're pretty similar. Maybe I enjoyed SMB more because it let you skip around worlds and come back to things later when you got stuck so it always felt like you were making some progress.

I was definitely having fun with this game up until about the halfway point, after that the difficulty just spiked way up and it became much less fun. Probably wouldn't be as frustrated with it if I had started on angel instead of mortal but oh well.

• Locked thread