Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

It's nearing the end of the year, which means it's time for lists. This thread is for showing off your five best/most meaningful/whatever photographs of 2014 together in one glorious post. Maybe you saw some trees. Maybe you made some exciting photos for a wire service. Maybe you had a child and think this is interesting to other people.

Last year, I made my best photo on December 26th. If you're a similar hero, don't feel obliged to post yet.

January

January

April

September

November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
2014 was relatively unproductive for me, though I did get a few really nice photos, and I did take slightly more photos of people.

March:

Mather Point by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

May:

Corey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Walkway by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

August:

Michael's by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

October:

U.S. Bancorp Tower by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I love these threads. Not just for the great photos, but an opportunity to see what the photographers consider to be their strongest photos.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I was just putting together a 2014 calendar for family so I'll post these now while I have them handy:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Well balls, the people that have posted are tough acts to follow. Still, I'm pretty decently proud of my progress since starting out in late 2013, however minor, so here's my humble submissions:

February:

L1011819.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

March:

Turn the other cheek by Geektox, on Flickr

April:

DSCF4400.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

August:

DSC00209-Edit.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

September:

out of control by Geektox, on Flickr

Mightaswell posted:

I love these threads. Not just for the great photos, but an opportunity to see what the photographers consider to be their strongest photos.

Yeah and almost always what I think is a photographer's strongest work doesn't even make their list, it's really interesting.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 12, 2014

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This year I visited lots of parking lots.

July

Down Arrow by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

July

More Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

September

Way Out by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

October

Sutherland Station by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

November

Cronulla Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

elgarbo posted:

This year I visited lots of parking lots.

July

Down Arrow by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

July

More Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

September

Way Out by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

October

Sutherland Station by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

November

Cronulla Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

Sutho at night time, surprised you still have your camera

Truth aside they're some nice shots of parking garages.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

January: A Merlin perched in the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge

merlin-perch by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

June: The girlfriend and I spent an evening at Freshwater Lagoon, and six Osprey came out to fish.

osprey-trout by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

July: Fledgling Belted kingfishers squabbling over a favorite perch

kingfishers-perching by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

October: A bull Roosevelt Elk having second thoughts about challenging a larger bull for its harem

elk-bull-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

November: This Snowy Egret in Lake Merritt was a very cooperative subject

snowy-grab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Choosing is always a challenge, but a pretty fun one.

January:

Get out of here. by TomOlson, on Flickr

February:

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

September:

Freedom Tower by TomOlson, on Flickr

October:

Forest by TomOlson, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hawaii and muddy people and muddy people in hailstorms. I didn't do much this year.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

PA042242 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Definitely one of my favorite threads!

I'm sure I have more than 10k photos of these birds, so it's really nice to be able to get something a little different.
Sage-grouse morning breath 1629 on Flickr

Trip to Alaska with a new camera
Toolik Ptarmigan in Snow fs 1803 on Flickr

Toolik-Foxes-fs 1770 on Flickr

Toolik-Fox-in-snow-reprocessed 1787 on Flickr

I started doing the monthly contests here in Dorkroom- this one didn't get any votes but I like it and it's not very common for me to go out shooting with a concept in mind like that.
Muir Woods Water Strider 1877 on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This year was pretty good for me.

Pipe, Lakeside by alkanphel, on Flickr

Beo Crescent II by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Little India by alkanphel, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I had a good year too. I tried using telephoto lenses for the first time, and I got hooked.

5B4A2566 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A8415 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A7581 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9541 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

5B4A9711 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I absolutely love his pose. Where was this taken?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
This year is my first full year of taking photos. I've manage to get a few shots that I like for one reason or another.

_DSC4117-Edit-1000 by rchan02, on Flickr

_DSC4056-1000 by rchan02, on Flickr

_DSC3408-1000 by rchan02, on Flickr

DSC_8579 by rchan02, on Flickr

DSC_7804 by rchan02, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I didn't shoot as much as I would have liked this year.

Untitled by mr_student, on Flickr

Tanjil Bren by mr_student, on Flickr

Lotus Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

Baw Baw by mr_student, on Flickr

Rocks by mr_student, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I absolutely love his pose. Where was this taken?

Thanks - this was in Boston. There's a tree outside my window, so I didn't even have to leave my house, or my chair, to get the shot.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I also didn't shoot as much as I would have liked. I focused on using the Pentax 67 I bought last fall, and I continued to carry my trusty Olympus XA/2 around. All of my best photos are from the beginning of the year.

I'm pretty happy with the photos I did make though, even if I still can't figure out how to process a negative for the life of me.

February

Miami Beach by spikemccue, on Flickr

March

Mount Desert Island, ME by spikemccue, on Flickr

March

East River Ferry, 2014 by spikemccue, on Flickr

March

Dad in Mt Desert by spikemccue, on Flickr

April

Muir Woods by spikemccue, on Flickr

July

Mt. Desert, 2014 by spikemccue, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Also echoing the "I didn't shoot as much as I wanted to this year" Barely did anything until May

June:
Peyto Lake by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

August:
1964 Mercury Comet by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

September:
Swainson's Hawk by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

October:
Bald Eagle in the fog by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

December:
Gyrfalcon hunting by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Dad with a DSLR incoming

April

Jack Russel Overload
by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

June

Campfire
by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

June

Waffle House
by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

July

Glen Lake
by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

July

Ipad screen 4
by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Oh god, this was a hard prompt for me, especially as I spent a lot of the time doing series-of-things. My first pass in Lightroom rendered me down to 'only' 82 shots — out of apparently 17,000+ frames I shot this year. In other news, I know where all my hard drive space is going.

These are not the five best photographs I took this year. But these are five photographs I took this year.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

And Then... by thetzar, on Flickr

Eduardo is kind of a big wheel down at the website factory by thetzar, on Flickr

Kitsune Bitters 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

I have no idea what this is, but I hope it's some kind of hilarious repurposed ski-lift used for office commuters.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It was a ski lift to get to the top of a mountain in japan near the Amanohashidate land bridge

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I dig this. It's fun as hell.

Your others are great too but that one jumped out.

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
I haven't gotten out much in the past few months (Canada, winter) but here are some of my favorites from the year.

IMG_1137 by bighoits, on Flickr

IMG_1383 by bighoits, on Flickr

trails by bighoits, on Flickr

a horses life by bighoits, on Flickr

IMG_2515 by bighoits, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I haven't been out as much as I've liked. According to Lightroom, I've taken 3700 pictures this year. If you subtract those from family events and some sports thing I did as a favor, and then all duplicates that have been taken to guarantee focusing accuracy, there isn't much photos taken. Actually, reviewing those I've made public, I start bickering with myself again in my head about what could have been done differently.

That said, there's been a bunch of OK ones.

January:

Teeny weeny mushroom by cerealbawx, on Flickr

April:

Branch by cerealbawx, on Flickr

May:

Bridges by cerealbawx, on Flickr

July:

Spiderrrrrrr! by cerealbawx, on Flickr

September:

Watchin' TV! by cerealbawx, on Flickr

November:

Hasard de Cheratte by cerealbawx, on Flickr

November:

Zeche P by cerealbawx, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Spent a lot of time in Vietnam this year. Started using film for the first time. Had some creativity problems crop up this year, but playing with film has helped that a lot.

Few Vietnam photos:
Taking A Break by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Woman and Buffalo by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Determination by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Rice Fields and Village in Vietnam by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Saleswoman in the Old Quarter by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Sapa, Vietnam by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Now for film:

Thanksgiving by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2014

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
My first year with a camera, and I didn't really do much in the first 4-5 months.

Weißenhäuser Strand
by arnesander, on Flickr

Bee on Pink
by arnesander, on Flickr

makro-3
by arnesander, on Flickr

strauss501-3
by arnesander, on Flickr

loop sw
by arnesander, on Flickr

I'm will definitely stay with this stupid hobby. I just need to get used to taking my camera with me more, I missed so many great shots because I was too lazy to carry the stupid thing around with me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm really enjoying what people are sharing. I started shooting in the spring and since then this has become my primary hobby. Thanks to everyone for their feedback on what I have shared (yes, even the street thread).

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
After a long time of wanting to get an all right camera I finally had disposable income to buy one this year. I went on a holiday to Morocco soon after getting it.

I found that I was taking way too many photos to get through and most of them were poo poo so I figured I needed a new approach and decided to punish my wallet every time I took a photo by using film. I had time off between leaving my job and starting a masters to mess about with it more while frequently travelling to the west of Ireland.

More recently I've been trying out darkroom processing.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 16, 2014

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Special shout out to the woman that stole my point and shoot at Carnival this year. Without you I would have never gotten into photography. I've had my DSLR since 2011 but didn't really get into it until May of this year. Think I've come a long way in 7 months. Getting a new lens and camera for Christmas to push on into 2015. :woop:

Totally posting pictures that can't even compare to others in this thread but gently caress it. Also, I posted six pictures. :colbert:

May
DSC02880 by esa_foto, on Flickr

June
Panama 026 by esa_foto, on Flickr

August
Panama 056 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Panama 054 by esa_foto, on Flickr

October
Panama 078 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Panama 080 by esa_foto, on Flickr

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 16, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is awesome, why does it have so few views on Flickr?!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is awesome, why does it have so few views on Flickr?!

not enough bokeh

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This has been my first full year with a good camera, where I was consciously taking pictures and thinking about composition, light, and my various camera settings. I focus a lot of birding, obviously. All of these pictures were taken using a Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens with a Nikon D3200.

February 3rd

A bold downy woodpecker gets close. Washington Park Arboretum, February 3rd 2014. ISO 1600 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/500s

I’d just finished a rather unlucky birding session in the Arboretum when I noticed a small bird climbing around on a low-hanging branch. I carefully circled around the tree to be able to catch the bird in the morning sunlight and sure enough, it not only circled the branch, but climbed toward me a bit closer as well. I liked this shot so much I made it the first photo I had printed onto canvas, and it’s hanging in my kitchen. This is a downy woodpecker, the first of about 4 that I saw in 2014.

May 12th

A subadult male Costa’s hummingbird near the tiny tienda in the village of Bahia Agua Verde, B.C.S., Mexico, May 12th, 2014. ISO 360 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/1000s

I snapped this one completely by luck. I’d gone ashore from the sailboat along with several others of the crew, looking to see if the tiny village had a tienda where we could buy some fresh tortillas and maybe some Coca Cola. While the others were buying things, I spotted this hummingbird fly up to a flower only about two meters away from me, directly in the bright desert sun. The first time I’d ever gotten a hummingbird in flight, and it turned out super sharp, aside from a bit of blur on the wings. This is a subadult male Costa’s hummingbird.

July 27th

A young raccoon boldly checking to see if our campsite had food. Blake Island State Park Campground, WA, July 27th, 2014. ISO 2000 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/1000s

Later in the morning, the raccoon were out in force, looking for any abandoned food that other campers had left behind. We were eating breakfast since we were in no hurry to leave, and one of the younger raccoon began walking directly toward us after washing its paws and taking a drink in the puddle beneath a water spigot. I didn’t even realize I’d gotten this shot with its tongue out until I reviewed the images!

August 3rd

A blue heron perched on the raised boardwalk at Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, WA, August 3rd, 2014 ISO 720 (auto), 400mm, f/8.0, 1/1000s

My first time visiting Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, I was walking down the long raised boardwalk above the marshland when I came upon a great blue heron perched on the railing. It allowed me to get surprisingly close and stand there, snapping photos of it for several minutes, until other people began approaching from the opposite side. I’ve done a bit more digital enhancement than I normally do on this photo, but I think the result is pretty close to true to life.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 16, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

January
BB5 by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

April
Mygoodside by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

September
Hex by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

December (today)
Lighter by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Holy gently caress, this is fantastic.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I helped make a 2nd baby in 2014 (and I think you care!), but I took pictures of other things, too. In 2014 my most viewed picture was a random shot of my dad and step-mom standing in the yard. My most liked shot was jamming the lens into some dying roses to finish out a roll of UltraMax 400. Go figure.

June (My wife's favorite non-baby picture.)

Eastern bluebird by mattphilpott, on Flickr

July (My overall favorite picture.)

Pair by mattphilpott, on Flickr

August (A cute cat.)

Visitor by mattphilpott, on Flickr

October (My most memorable shooting experience, speeding out of town trying to remember if the bridge over the lake faced the right direction for the eclipse.)

Eclipse by mattphilpott, on Flickr

December (Aforementioned second child.)

Floor by mattphilpott, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

A slow but still productive year.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
January

Lada vid skogsbrynet by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

February

Untitled by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Mars

April

Toad by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

May

June

Asunden by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

July

Fields 2 by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

August

September

Finnskogsleden by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

October

November

December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
It's great how instantly recognisable many of the photographs in this thread are considering how long ago they were posted.

June

November

December

• Locked thread