Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jony ive aces posted:

wait according to wikipedia, the free encyclopedia anyone can edit, that's pretty much what c-base in berlin is

Wheres the parts of that hackerspace where you actually do work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How am I supposed to focus on soldering with all this terrible lighting

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've volunteered over the summer helping build a makerspace, it was pretty fun. Hopefully they'll be open in the next few weeks. Its membership based but also has square footage to rent out and the 3d printing area is in the front with a flat rate if you want to just print something.

I have a drill press but no place to use it

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 15, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think all murder devices should be replaced with ones that email Rubin tbh

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was not a single photography item located in that dark room. It sounds like from that message chain that its just another place for intoxicated people to hide in noisebridge

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/UNsoundROOM

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 16, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
do that but instead make it a cool prosthetic at the end of your elbow that detonates several fake blood bags as they rip the gopro from your (fake) flesh

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
then make a big stink about it on the mailing list

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does a special room only accessible by the elevator work. Does he mean its in some sort of crawlspace above the elevator when its at the top of the shaft, Or just a regular floor without stair access.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

just use an arduino to randomly blink an LED to choose who has to do it! it shuold only take 15kb of code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj3fjYL_QsM

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is this the same weev http://www.wired.com/2014/10/trolls-will-always-win/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

3d printing cookie cutters is literally the dumbest poo poo

its a pretty neat idea actually, especially if they got some super simple interface for people to generate them (since its just a 2d shape extruded out an inch or two, right?)

As a Millennial I posted:

hackpittsburgh has just a $30/month membership fee + 3 hours of volunteer work. that seems reasonable

the local one is planning $30 a month or $100 for 24/7 access to the main hackerspace, and currently is doing $10 + material cost if you just want to 3d print stuff in the front area for the day. You can get a discount if you teach classes (at least once a month or something) and you can just straight up rent square footage in the building if you want to set up shop. Also the regulars aren't scary homeless people so thats cool.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Google/Shapeways refused to print my "YOSPOS BITCH" bracelet (even though I got it past the built in word blocks)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buzzers are probably low voltage though right. (how do you gently caress up a wireless buzzer)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Should just made one of those pvc talkin tubes you can shout into and someone will hear on the other end.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

why the gently caress would i want a retainer that shocks me

I assume they wanted to make something like this http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/device-lets-blind-see-with-tongues/

except that was done like 6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Epj2_eJdA

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

im the ~totally random~ link tattoo

what if she liked link jonny

that doesn't seem very random

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm at a hacker space right now

I'm heading over to pick up some 3d prints today~~~~

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
because they both bug related.

also can you still use a gsm nokia 5110 on ATT

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

some people are working on multi-head ones that can do pick & place, CNC, and so on, not just lovely plastic pooping, but it hasn't really taken off yet because good things cost money and effort beyond "lol I just downloaded and 3d printed a dog turd"

doesn't makerbot have a deal with Microsoft to sell in their Apple Store knock-offs and didn't Windows RT include a driver for them or something?

windows 8 has some sort of built in support for 3d printers, as well as a 3d builder app on the app store. and an online tool for cleaning up stl files which I heard was alright.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
its too bad they can't have some sort of dropcam to try and catch people loving with poo poo, because someone will immediately destroy that and give no fucks about it because ~gently caress your surveillance state~

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
can someone draw me a picture of how a closet you can only access from the elevator looks or whatever that dude was stuck in.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
thats wonderful, congratulations for your friend

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ours is cleaning up and getting ready for the opening in June. They want to run memberships through patreon so I guess we'll see how that goes.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the best solution would be when the door bells rings,

to answer the door.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the difference between a member and a philanthropist if both pay member dues and both have the same access to the work area

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

this guy is at our makerspace except hes very old and a very good woodworker but bad at computers (but loves linux!!!)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

this guy is at our makerspace except hes very old and a very good woodworker but bad at computers (but loves linux!!!)

also spent much of thursday evening watching a second life discussion and trying to fix a 10 year old dell machine. congratulations it took you the entire weekend to reseat the ram so you can inevitably make a poorly setup ubuntu server that I will have to intervene on so that it doesn't become a security hazard to rest of the makerspace

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

froward posted:

http://www.wired.com/2012/09/google-fiber-digital-divide/
google requires neighborhoods to sign up households if they want "Google Fiber" (surely they could've thought of a more distinct name?)

in a huge surprise stunning absolutely everyone involved, poor neighborhoods are left behind

I like how they made the economical option completely unobtainable by many who would need it (wrong thread)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

who wants to make some art for noisebridge

We got a local artist to do a spraypaint mural outside out entrance, its pretty fuckin alright (its also indoors and not on the fuckin sidewalk lol). Also have a giant chalkboard wall to left upon entering

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone walked in with their bike through the back because an electrician left a door open and I kinda lost my afternoon having to talk to someone who couldn't currently actually pay for a membership right now, but totally want d to join soon to speak with like minded individuals and work on a free energy machine.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They said all organic material was safe to engrave *farts*!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming lockout/tagout is just an automated way of keeping non qualified individuals from using and then breaking the laser again which is probably for the best. until dorks do the same thing they did with the security cams and rip them out and make the machines unusable for everyone.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you made the key anything other that the kind you get dupes made of at the front of Walmart they'd be fine probably

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The place our makerspace is located got a new landlord a few months ago and they immediately
1) sold the adjacent room to a catering company and also gave them exclusive access to the power that we shared when we were about to get a cnc router and automated screen press online. we finally got some other lines rerouted this past week so we stopped tripping poo poo when the 3d printer and a table saw was running.
2) listed all of our parking as private (but didn't include us on any of the signs) and also started turning it into paid parking in the evenings for events at rupp arena and the music hall
3) blocked access to the dumpster unless we take all our garbage up some stairs and around the building the long way

so we're probably moving in a month, welp. at least I might be getting a glowforge early through my volunteering here

edit: I pushed garbage through the catering area because gently caress them (its been under construction for 3 loving months) and she put her hand on my shoulder and spent 30 seconds trying to explain how she wanted us to move garbage in the most inconvenient way possible with a straight face.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 5, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also the people doing the construction for the caterers didn't do anything with the water they were using w/ their concrete saws and just let it pool and seep under the firewall into people's personal spaces. and hosed up the wiring for a week.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Manchester street is rapidly growing into a hotspot for cool music and food and such so yeah, I guess they'd rather violate our lease conditions until we leave and then sell the space to another rentable event place or some poo poo.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i mean absolutely they suck for being assholes and violating the lease and i hope something can be done about it.

but she was dumb to even agree to it.

we can lawyer up but the reality is that would give us another 6 months before the lease is up in mid 2016, so I think the reasoning is to just save the expense and headache and get out in the new year.
This landlord came in mid lease. Yelling at dorks in reflective vests to let me in the loving parking area I pay for is the worst. being able to walk over to a food truck on the weekends is nice tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaahahaha the weird hippy lady that just moved in to a licensed space was caught tryin to hire homeless people for her earth store (where you can trade and buy in earth credits), promising them 24/7 access to the building. I wonder if she's gonna stay. She did way more events at the space and got a lot of people checking it out than anyone else but is also a terrible spiteful human being (literally asking the other members if I'm stealing her garbage while I'm sitting 10 feet away).

Edit: shengot kicked out thank the lord

uncurable mlady posted:

i used to live on west high past rupp like 10 years ago, i'm pretty sure the only thing on manchester street then was knife crime

did they ever finish centrepoint

I don't know if you can gentrify a road mostly occupied by empty warehouses and construction companies but it's a lot fancier now. Craft brews and poo poo.

And no center point is still a literal hole in the ground ahahahahaha

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread