Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone here know what to look for in a classic beetle? My dad talks about this green beetle he used to have and I really want to find a running one or try to restore one. I'm in Ohio so I imagine rust is my main concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How classic do you want? Will any air-cooled do, or do you have a particular affinity towards something extra-classic?

Rust will be the biggest thing outside of the west coast, but all the normal old-car stuff would be a concern - seals, leaks, fuel lines, etc.

I personally prefer the 1303 / curved windshield Super Beetle. Strut front suspension, IRS in the back, and a little bit nicer interior setup. '66+ got a 12V electrical system, and '69+ changed from swing axle to IRS rear suspension. I think they switched to fuel injection in '74 and I'd avoid that as well.

My dad said he had a 67 so ideally, one of those. Would that be a bad idea?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

With the death of the accent, I'm rather inheriting my wife's yaris as my car for when the bike or the Benz are inappropriate (so basically, going to work in the winter on days below 25 or so, or with snow). This means she needs a new car. She has been absolutely sold on a Prius C. I don't mind - there's nothing wrong with reliable and fuel efficient, even if it's a bit slow and boring. We're looking to find a deal on a lease return though, so a car with 20k or less on it for a good discount, but I can find absolutely no information about buying these cars used. I'm not sure if i should be worried or impressed by this.

Have you and your wife actually looked at a Prius C in person? My girlfriend and a couple of my friends considered them until they actually saw one in person. The interior seriously looks dated, plastic, and cheap. It's more like from a Corolla from the mid to late 90's.

• Locked thread