Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
AI purchases seem to be equal parts obsessively searching for the right car and casually picking up something cheap on Craigslist. The thread is meant to be more geared towards the former - post what you're thinking of buying so we can get excited for you and hopefully give you advice on things to look out for. For example, if I was looking at buying a 996, someone would hopefully clue me in to IMS retrofits and RMS foolery. Or, if I was looking to buy a C6, how I should be looking at the 2008+ refresh cars and swing a Grand Sport if I can.

So, what car is on your mind? Dump your thoughts here.

PS: FWIW, I have been thinking about both of these cars, but am not committed to either one yet - I was fine with the 996 headlights when they came out but really dislike them now, the naturally aspirated versions aren't that fast by today's standards, either. The C6 seems good bang for the buck but it's not really my style, I still have misgivings about the interior, and the Grand Sport hasn't really gotten cheap yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viggen posted:

What happened to the S2000 phase? :v:

I'm not convinced it's a big enough leap from the Miata to justify the price, but it's still under consideration. A C6 probably would be, and the detachable roof would let me get my sunshine in the summer but still be relatively enjoyable in the winter (I don't like driving the Miata with the top up for extended periods of time; my height makes visibility awful). The 996 kinda stemmed from the C6 idea, trading some of the performance for a nicer interior.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HEY VAPER posted:

If you're patient they can still be had for cheap. Yeah a clean 1989 AW 325is or a 1988 hennarot m3 is going to be horribly overpriced, but not every e30 is going to fetch top dollar. For instance, any e30 that is: 4 door, not a desireable paint color, 1987 or earlier, convertible, an ETA, any 4banger that isn't a slicktop, or automatic isn't worth a lot. I also see a lot of 1988 325 super eta's sell for cheap by owners who don't know how cool it is. You can find good ones in the $800-3k range on craigslist if you look far/long enough.

And to be honest, the less desireable ones make the best daily drivers. 4 doors barely weighs any more and has the same wheelbase, early models get the awesome 5mph diving board bumpers which are amazing for city parking, eta's get more low end torque, a flatter powerband, and have more efficient gearing for highway speeds, etc. Throw a set of used sport seats ($100 give or take depending on color), a mtech 1 wheel($30?), and a 5 speed ($600 all said and done) in any e30 and its a great car. Hell throw an LSD in while you're at it.

Fair warning: If you can't live without cup holders in your daily driver, don't get an e30, or be prepared to shell out $80-150 for a decent cup holder.

I dunno, man, the ETA never did it for me. If you can find me a clean 325 or 318is with less than 150k miles for under 3500 I'd be your friend for life. Make it a 325iS or iX and I might something something sexual favors send you a personal, handwritten note.

• Locked thread