Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

davey4283 posted:

A good friend of mine is a Soviet born Estonian and she hates Russians with unmatched fervor.

Like she spends her free time fantasizing about the genocide of their people.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Especially for a woman.

I'm also Estonian.

e: I can not really say how USSR is remembered in Estonia, I was only three when it fell. There's some folks who miss it, mostly the former more-equal-than-the-rest who long for their privileges. Good thing it's gone though.

Perhaps some comparisons between then and now are in order.

I've heard from my aunts at the time things such as teen pregnancy meant expulsion from school and rejection. These days it's of course no big deal. The reds were naturally enforcing strong morals.

No longer one has to be stuck with one education for life.

A conscript in Estonian army who ran off when in forest, with his service rifle no less, was given a suspended sentence because it was after all his first time and he probably did not mean it. I'm not sure what it would have meant in the soviet army. Probably something very heavy. Of course the guy ended up running again for the second time.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Or she's just talking poo poo like lots of people commonly do? I also don't understand why it's "incredibly hard to believe" that some random Estonian expresses extreme opinions about Russians when drunk. I have met others from Baltic states with similar attitudes, I don't think it's that rare. Some people get drunk and start up with the nationalism, and with Russian forces in Ukraine right now I would think people would get even more amped up about it.

It's not like Russian aggression came to a halt in 1990, they have now invaded two ex-SSR's within that time, one of which is still an ongoing conflict. It's pretty understandable that people in other ex-SSR's might get worried and express that worry in terms of threats and extremism when drunk.

I've known plenty of drunk people among my family, friends and colleagues, and none do that. None are afraid of being invaded either. And I'm saying this as a very national defense minded person seeing as I'm in the home guard. Maybe I just move in different social circles than you folks do. That must be it.

Regardless, it's important to avoid any sort of hot-blooded right-wing nuttery. Things are quite smooth now, integration and assimilation in progress. No need to ruin it.

e: what pigdog said.

• Locked thread