Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Who would you say were the five greatest commissars of all time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There were probably lots of decent fellows executed by the Nazis under the Commissar Order, so I'll go with five of them chosen at random.

Ok that sounds reasonable, let's see your five random commissars please.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What happened to my list of five commissars?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grifter posted:

I know next to nothing about Soviet history. Reading this thread lead me to read the wikipedia article on the Stalin's Great Pure, and that is sickening. It did raise a question though. The article mentions that Staling wiped out a lot of the intelligentsia, which seems to mostly include artists (writers, poets, theater owners, etc.). Did this part of the purge also get academics? If so, how did they so quickly recover to bootstrap themselves into space in a period that's basically a generation later?

I believe scientists - especially those involved in space and defence - were often forced to live in secret cities with implicit threats about what might happen to their families should they not wholeheartedly dedicate themselves to their work for the program.

One of the later purges had rather ironic results. In these years Stalin's health began to decline, in part due to the constant stress and paranoia - supposedly he rarely slept. So doctors encouraged him to take it a bit easier. This resulted in his paranoid belief in a conspiracy of doctors (Jewish doctors primarily) who, he believed, were trying to keep him out of politics. So he started having prominent Jewish doctors arrested. And so, once Stalin actually had a stroke, it took longer than it otherwise would have to get a decent doctor out to his dacha.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

From what I have read, Kruschev of course continued to have people arrested for political crimes and have his political opponents removed, but after Beria's execution (which, really, he had it coming) he refused to actually have anyone else killed for political crimes, rather he'd just have them reassigned somewhere unimportant and far out of the way. But of course that could be a pack of lies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pigdog posted:

Either there's some exaggeration going on or she's an outlier.

Or she's just talking poo poo like lots of people commonly do? I also don't understand why it's "incredibly hard to believe" that some random Estonian expresses extreme opinions about Russians when drunk. I have met others from Baltic states with similar attitudes, I don't think it's that rare. Some people get drunk and start up with the nationalism, and with Russian forces in Ukraine right now I would think people would get even more amped up about it.

It's not like Russian aggression came to a halt in 1990, they have now invaded two ex-SSR's within that time, one of which is still an ongoing conflict. It's pretty understandable that people in other ex-SSR's might get worried and express that worry in terms of threats and extremism when drunk.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pigdog posted:

There's a little bit of difference between, say, disliking gays and "fantasizing about the genocide of gays". In fact it's a little bit insulting that you wouldn't consider the latter kind of views out of the ordinary.

The latter kind of views are not what I would describe as "common", but I also wouldn't describe them as so out of the ordinary as to say it was incredibly hard to believe that someone said them, especially a drunk person.

I've heard plenty of Americans talking about "turning the Middle East into glass" in the years following 9/11, and it strikes me as exactly the same sort of poo poo.

• Locked thread