Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Might be stretching a bit here from the OP description but is Machu Pichuu or those salt flats in, uh, Bolivia? Considered a tourist trap yet?

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I remember a goon posting pictures of an abandoned motel in Pennsylvania, I think, which was complete with heart-shaped bathtubs. Including one labeled "the gently caress tub" in post-use graffiti. Does anyone else remember this?

I'm not really sure if we've got any real tourist traps here in Ohio. The closest I can think of is this, in Blanchester, in southwest Ohio:

OH Blanchester - Crab
by scottamus, on Flickr

What the photographer here didn't notice is that it's actually part of an exhibit on how "evolution is wrong" for some inane reason.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Christoff posted:

Might be stretching a bit here from the OP description but is Machu Pichuu or those salt flats in, uh, Bolivia? Considered a tourist trap yet?

You think Machu Picchu, one of the most incredible architectural sites in the world, is on the same level as World's Largest Gator?

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

canyoneer posted:

You think Machu Picchu, one of the most incredible architectural sites in the world, is on the same level as World's Largest Gator?

People and their opinions are mostly loving retarded here at SomethingAwful.

You've been here 10 years and you still haven't figured that out?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

canyoneer posted:

They may have meant "World's Tallest Machu Picchu", which is just outside of Huntington, North Carolina and is constructed out of bright orange drywall.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Nckdictator posted:

First off: Gatlinburg is tacky, it's trashy, it's kitschy, and it's mildly racist. Despite all that I love it. Some of that is sentimental value; my grandparents (poor factory workers) never were able to travel much and since Gatlinburg was only a state away it became the typical "vacation-with-the-Grandparents" place and I love those memories. The other, genuine reason to like Gatlinburg is it's location; so close to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, it's near some of the most beautiful scenery in the US.

I've only been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge once or twice in my life but I loving loved it. Your pictures make me sad that I moved away from the Appalachian mountains, now I live in Missouri which thankfully has Branson to fill that hole of tacky/trashy poo poo. Haven't been there yet but everything I've heard is that it is the same exact thing that even has same exact attractions.

Such as, The Titanic Museum!

Imagine driving down the road and seeing the spitting image of the Titanic just sitting there. Of course you have to stop!

It is actually a great museum, it has a lot of cool artifacts and I have nothing bad to say about it. If you've never been to one of these, it's really fun, they give you a booklet detailing an actual passenger that was on the ship, what class they were in, and at the end you get to find out if they lived or died. It's a nice guessing game!

Though it does make me think that in 90 years we could have something like this for 9/11, how awful would that be?

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Well, the Holocaust museum in DC does that too. Every time you go to a different floor, you turn the page of your little booklet to see how your person is faring.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dead Pikachu posted:

Though it does make me think that in 90 years we could have something like this for 9/11, how awful would that be?
"The only vacation spot where you want to leap out of the building!" :v:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I think I should mention The Varsity in Atlanta:

There are plenty of great places to eat in the city but the only place any visitor seems to know by name is this sort of crappy diner. There's really nothing special about it at all. Honestly I'd think any tourist would be better off going to the aquarium and getting something from the food court. Then you get to eat bad fast food and see a whale shark!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

kith_groupie posted:

Faux-European towns in America are pretty common apparently. Leavenworth in Washington state is all dolled up to look like a Bavarian town I guess, cause that's what you to see when driving to Seattle. It's a weird thing when you're a small child that's never been outside of the USA and your parents explain it away by going "this is what Europe looks like!" Europe looks like Christmas and ice cream parlors, apparently.
The local "Little Europe" town in this corner of Michigan is Frankenmuth, which is pretty much just "Christmas and ice cream parlors" like you said.

Even closer to where I live, though, is Hell. There's maybe three stores there, including a combo Halloween shop/ice cream parlor, a biker bar and some other cheesy establishment I can't recall. Not much happens there, tbh, but on June 6th, 2006 they sold "square inches of Hell" to whoever showed up, iirc.

Nckdictator posted:

I remember my parents have a plastic "Ghost Town in the Sky" cup, vanished around 2003. I never visited the place.
I rode my first "roller coaster" at Santa's Land. I was 4 and was horrified the whole time, even tried climbing out of it.

However, you've missed the tourist traps of all tourist traps: Gatlinburg Tennessee.

First off: Gatlinburg is tacky, it's trashy, it's kitschy, and it's mildly racist. Despite all that I love it. Some of that is sentimental value; my grandparents (poor factory workers) never were able to travel much and since Gatlinburg was only a state away it became the typical "vacation-with-the-Grandparents" place and I love those memories. The other, genuine reason to like Gatlinburg is it's location; so close to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, it's near some of the most beautiful scenery in the US.
Back in 2011 our family went on a roadtrip from Michigan to Asheville and back again. We ended up driving through Gatlinburg and not knowing what the gently caress.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ofaloaf posted:

The local "Little Europe" town in this corner of Michigan is Frankenmuth, which is pretty much just "Christmas and ice cream parlors" like you said.

Just as you cross into Ohio from Pennsylvania on I-76 there is a billboard advertising one of the "CHRISTmas" megastores located there. Makes me wonder how many tourists that drags in, considering the drive from that point is nearly 5 hours/400 miles. Its not like your average traveler is going to see the sign and decide to make a 10 hour side trip.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I have some fantastic memories of Gatlinburg, I've gone a couple times with friends and we all rented a cabin. Mostly the memories are just heavy drinking and grilling on the balcony/heavy drinking in the hot tub, but we would go hiking and whatnot too. When we did go into the town it was largely to people watch.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Low Desert Punk posted:

Atlanta itself isn't a very touristy town,

The Varsity (as mentioned), the World of Coke, that big spinning civil war diorama, STONE MOUNTAIN???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQDu2v-Uq0E

Peanut President has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Dec 22, 2014

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I've passed by that Mammy's Cupboard place pictured in the OP (near Natchez, MS) many times while on the way to my grandparents' house just north of Baton Rouge. They've painted the face white within the last several years.

This thread also reminds me of this one place called Redmon's Candy Factory. It's somewhere along I-44 on the way to St. Louis and they consistently advertise it via billboards for at least 100 miles coming from both ways.

They also have this man-child looking mascot that they display on every single billboard.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Peanut President posted:

The Varsity (as mentioned), the World of Coke, that big spinning civil war diorama, STONE MOUNTAIN???

You seem to have forgotten the money sink- I mean the aquarium.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dead Pikachu posted:

I've only been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge once or twice in my life but I loving loved it. Your pictures make me sad that I moved away from the Appalachian mountains, now I live in Missouri which thankfully has Branson to fill that hole of tacky/trashy poo poo. Haven't been there yet but everything I've heard is that it is the same exact thing that even has same exact attractions.

You should see the Shoji Tabuchi show.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
We went to Gatlinburg/PF many, many times growing up. The cheesy schlock of it didn't really dawn on me until I was a teenager. It's been at least 10 years since I've been. I do seem to recall there being more variety to the shops there when I was a kid- even though it was overpriced crap, there seemed to be more people at least trying to sell more craftsy stuff- last time I remember every place basically selling airbrushed shirts and generic souvenirs. I'm kinda curious to go back and see what's left- my brother told me it's like 90% chain stuff now. Can't complain because it's always been mostly garbage. The only other thing I vividly recall is that the food in Gatlinburg was pretty awful and expensive. In fact, the only thing I have a fond memory of were the open stalls selling fair food (greasy gutbomb sausage dogs and the like). Pigeon Forge was not much beyond hotels, Dollywood/Music Theaters and outlet stores. Although there was this place in PF that looked like three restaurants on the outside (Japanese, Mexican, and Italian) but was actually one big place on the inside and they had really weird rear end combos- like lasagna, enchiladas and hibachi shrimp.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I went to Varsity a couple weeks ago to check it off the list because I live near Atlanta and was in the city. It's not bad per se, but I wouldn't go back. Two unremarkable chili dogs, onion rings, and a fountain Coke (no refills) costs a few cents shy of $10. A large group of tourists was blocking the entrance while someone in their group rambled on about it like it's the loving French Laundry.

I think my car was the only one in the lot with Georgia plates on it.

Stone Mountain is kind of interesting. It's definitely tourist-trappy but it's not too overbearing, you can still enjoy it for what it is- a big mountain with a nice view and Confederate generals carved into the side.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

mysterious frankie posted:

The House On The Rock in Wisconsin is amazing. It started out as the passion project of an eccentric amateur architect, and eventually turned into this sprawling kitschy tourist trap in the middle of a forest. The original house is intricate, poorly lit, claustrophobic and sort of spooky; the additions were built more like straightforward warehouses & filled with themed attractions which vary from schmaltzy Americana, to how I imagine terrified dogs perceive normal human things. The carousel and organ rooms are especially hellish fever dreams in the best way. There's a couple of official House On The Rock hotels near the attraction as well. I stayed at one the last time I visited and really enjoyed how dated & lonely it felt. It was like staying in a fading memory. The whole House On The Rock... thing is like if, four decades ago, a chunk of a moderately weird parallel reality fell into our Wisconsin and hasn't been touched up or improved upon since.

You forgot the actually pretty impressive part... THE INFINITY ROOM.

There used to be a small table and chair out at the end where Alex Jordan would chill and, I don't know, think insane millionaire thoughts.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
hows that work, a cantilever a loving mile long? poo poo's impressive tho

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So this is what happens when a country doesn't have old rear end castles/churches/stone structures :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rising majestically over the middle of nowhere is Salem Sue, world's largest holstein.

There's nothing even there to be "trapped" at and spend any money on (other than a gas station nearby i guess), just drive to the giant fiberglass cow and take a pic.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fans of house on the rock should try out the St. Louis City Museum in downtown it has a seven story slide

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Peanut President posted:

I had family out in Decatur, and hell yes Stone Mountain was touristy as gently caress. The golf club had nice food, from what I remember.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This'll serve as a memorial for the Byron Peach in Georgia.

Also known as the Giant Butt of Byron.

In the middle of the countryside where Georgia grew all the peaches it got its nickname from, it was built to attract thru traffic into a number of kitschy antique shops and overpriced dried fruit candy and nut stores. Plus maybe the Cracker Barrel. Having family in south Georgia as a kid, my family made many trips a year from Atlanta to visit and this dumb thing served as the "halfway-there" marker. We never stopped there once, not even just to refuel or grab some fast food.

In 2011 it blew down in a windstorm and was never rebuilt.

They still have the Byron Peach Watertower, though!

Being a part of the city infrastructure, it actually gets maintained and probably won't fall over on its own.

Y'all ain't got nothin' on Gaffney's big rear end water tower, though

Was your peach featured on the hit Netflix drama, House of Cards? I thought not.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Ah Gatlinburg. It's like Myrtle Beach, but in the mountains.

Here's another NC favorite: JR's Outlet Stores

There's a few of these scattered around NC, I always see the signs for the one in Sylva when I'm tearing down 95 from DC to Raleigh. The signs start about 50 miles out, and it's always poo poo like "World's Largest Selection of Cigars!" "Biggest Candy Store in the World!" "Millions of Towels!"

I have never met anyone who actually shops there, or who has ever stopped there. But still, they remain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I have never met anyone who actually shops there, or who has ever stopped there. But still, they remain.

I've stopped there because I'm a total sucker for tourist traps. It really is pretty big, but it's pretty much a giant Big Lots/Job Lot/ Piece of poo poo

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Here in West Virginia we got this tacky thing called the Mystery Hole.

The main attraction is a series of underground rooms where gravity supposedly doesn't work right, but really they're just built at weird angles.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I live in Salem, MA. Half the goddamn city is a tourist trap four weeks a year. I suppose I'd rather deal with goths than juggalos though. Plus, it's hilarious seeing people trying to pilot their loving Class A motorhomes on our dinky little streets, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The_Raven posted:

I live in Salem, MA. Half the goddamn city is a tourist trap four weeks a year. I suppose I'd rather deal with goths than juggalos though. Plus, it's hilarious seeing people trying to pilot their loving Class A motorhomes on our dinky little streets, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I always wondered what this must be like. Did you grow up there or just move there recently?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Rasler posted:

I guess we don't really have 'tourist traps' here in the UK in the same way that the US does (highways aren't long or desolate enough), but I faintly remember from my 90's pre-teen childhood a lot of lovely attractions that my parents used to take us to in Somerset and beyond, such as Animal Farm, which sadly isn't a George Orwell themed park but instead actually is just a farm. From the website it looks to have actually improved a bit from when we used to go there in the nineties. A much better place to spend our childhood was five minutes down the road, an abandoned military fort called Brean Down

The greatest example of a lovely somerset 90's tourist trap would have to be Blobbyland.

The story behind this is basically that during the nineties a television show called Noel's House Party became ridiculously popular and one of its segments involved this wierd character called Mr Blobby. Despite being heralded by critics as a one-man downfall of British civilisation, Mr Blobby somehow became so popular that he actually took number one in the christmas charts one year with whatever the hell this is. Capitalising on this popularity, not one but two theme parks were built in his honour. The first lasted one lasted only four months, but undeterred by this, the second was built in the grounds of a famous Somerset manor house and wildlife park. It didn't even last out the decade, but long enough that my parents could take us several times.

What's up fellow Somerset goon! I love that spooky old fort on Brean Down..I think they have closed off a lot of the rooms to the public now, which is a shame.

Blobbyland is still there...but the only visitors are urbex types nowadays.....

Here is an article from Vice who went and nicked Mr.Blobby's crapper...
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-tracked-down-mr-blobbys-toilet

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'll post some local ones:

Found in Vulcan, Alberta.

Vegreville Egg.

World's largest dinosaur in Drumheller. You can climb up inside itself mouth.

Torrington Gopher Hole Museum, a bunch of amusing taxidermy dioramas.

Lake Louise and Banff. "Authentic mountain culture" is a draw that doesn't actually exist there.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I remember a goon posting pictures of an abandoned motel in Pennsylvania, I think, which was complete with heart-shaped bathtubs. Including one labeled "the gently caress tub" in post-use graffiti. Does anyone else remember this?

I'm 95% certain that you're talking about the (beautiful) Mt. Airy Lodge. I wouldn't really classify it as a tourist trap as it was more of just a cheesy destination/resort. Anyone in NJ/PA/NY probably still has their commercials stuck in their heads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxt5eMzodHk

More info:
http://www.weirdus.com/states/pennsylvania/abandoned/mount_airy_lodge/

It was torn down and the tubs and whatnot sold off to make way for a new casino resort a few years ago. If I recall by the time that thread was posted it was already gone. Pictures must have been old.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

whatshesaid posted:

poo poo yes. I'm currently in a car with friends headed from Bowling Green to Atlanta. We're right outside Chattanooga right now I think, on 24E. Apparently we're supposed to see Rock City/Ruby Falls, without question.

I think the tourist trap is more all the loving signs to see Rock City, rather than Rock City itself - I immediately see the barns & mailboxes in my head by just mentioning it, just because they're so ubiquitous. My mom, who is incredibly afraid of heights, climbed up to Rock City just to get one of those drat mailboxes (which broke pretty quickly). It's just a Southern Thing, those signs are - and if you have one you're in on the joke/culture.

To date, I have never been. SEE ROCK CITY but you know…don't really.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Picnic Princess posted:

I'll post some local ones:

Lake Louise and Banff. "Authentic mountain culture" is a draw that doesn't actually exist there.

Hello fellow Alberta goon

I am just going to clarify some stuff. Drumheller is a tourist trap built around The Royal Tyrell Museum. The museum itself is definitely worth the drive if you believe in evolution and like dinosaurs. http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/ Never go on a weekend and if you do get there early.

Banff is a ridiculous tourist trap that has fought long and hard for the title of STD Capital of Canada. The area around Banff is undeniably beautiful and you can still see that beauty while in town. It has access to a wide variety of little museums and displays. A variety of mountain trails of varying difficulty depending on how well prepared you are for the day. It is also way too busy and everything costs more because property is at a premium there. (It's built in a National Park and everybody wants a store/home there but it's heavily restricted.) You also have to pay to stop in the park.

If you are visiting just for hiking, biking, etc. Check out Kananaskis, a smaller park area on the way to Banff from Calgary. Many documented and maintained trails, and what used to be an amazing golf course. The area is still recovering from major flooding last year that destroyed the golf course and washed out many trails.

It's free. There is also a small visitor center that will give you free maps and good advice if you want it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Heh, I guess I could have gone more in depth. I go to the Tyrrell Museum several times a year, and I spend half my weekends in Kananaskis. I love those places to death.

I also work in tourism, so it's not like I hate any of it, although I am seriously disappointed by the direction Parks Canada has been forced to take now that the feds have cut all their funding.

Like this monstrosity:

The Glacier Skywalk. It was built in Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, which was world-famous for being a nearly non-developed high alpine mind-gently caress of a road. Lots of locals protested, petitioned, and worked hard to have it stopped. It closed access to a popular hiking trail by shutting down the parking area used by hikers.

At least it was built on top of a rubble pile blasted out for a roadcut over top a valley that's actually not that deep. Closest glacier is 10 kilometers away too. It's just a money-grab, and owned by an American company, so most of the revenue generated doesn't even stay in the park.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think the tourist trap is more all the loving signs to see Rock City, rather than Rock City itself - I immediately see the barns & mailboxes in my head by just mentioning it, just because they're so ubiquitous. My mom, who is incredibly afraid of heights, climbed up to Rock City just to get one of those drat mailboxes (which broke pretty quickly). It's just a Southern Thing, those signs are - and if you have one you're in on the joke/culture.

To date, I have never been. SEE ROCK CITY but you know…don't really.

Rock City itself isn't that impressive, since I live around big forests with similar rock formations that aren't tourist traps with a bunch of concrete gnomes everywhere. The real reason to see Rock City was this, Fairyland Caverns: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...170.S9hsrSCIOD8

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Picnic Princess posted:

I guess the snipers were off duty when that photo was taken.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Not sure how much this counts but The Australian Reptile Park is right near me.

This place is actually really great. It's seen better days, that's for sure but it's a nice, small zoo where you can watch people milk funnel web spiders to make antivenom if you really, really want to. You know what, gently caress that, go have a picnic with the kangaroos instead. Or go see Elvis the Crocodile.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Rock City itself isn't that impressive, since I live around big forests with similar rock formations that aren't tourist traps with a bunch of concrete gnomes everywhere. The real reason to see Rock City was this, Fairyland Caverns: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...170.S9hsrSCIOD8

Walking through there as a child would always freak me the gently caress out. Hundreds of tiny, seemingly carcinogenic figurines vaguely resembling fairytale characters with wide eyes and huge grins staring straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I guess the snipers were off duty when that photo was taken.

What.

• Locked thread